Type keyword(s) to search

Mythic Quest - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet was the title of Season 1 which was 9 regular episodes, with episode 10 being a special "Quarantine" episode shot entirely using iphones which seems appropriate since the show airs on AppleTV+.

The series follows a video game studio that produces Mythic Quest, a popular MMORPG, run by game-creator Ian Grimm. At the start of the series, the studio is about to release a major expansion to the game, titled Raven's Banquet. The game's creative director is Ian Grimm, who argues with lead engineer Poppy Li, head of monetization Brad Bakshi, and head writer, C.W. Longbottom.

Season 2 returns May 7th.

• Love 1

‘Mythic Quest’: Apple TV+ Comedy Sets Post-Pandemic Bonus Episode Ahead Of Season 2 Premiere

“Everlight,” a standalone episode from Season One of the gaming workplace comedy will launch Friday, April 16 on the streaming platform AppleTV+.

The episode will see the Mythic Quest crew return to offices and co-workers following the coronavirus pandemic for their annual Everlight party. Anthony Hopkins lends his voice to the episode.

Mythic Quest will return to Apple TV+ for its second season on Friday, May 7.  Season two of finds everyone back in the office (well, almost everyone), attempting to build upon the success of Raven’s Banquet by launching an epic new expansion, but Ian (McElhenney) and the newly promoted co-creative director, Poppy (Charlotte Nicdao), struggle with the game’s direction. Meanwhile, C.W. (F. Murray Abraham) reconciles some unresolved issues from his past, the testers (Burch and Imani Hakim) begin an office romance and David (David Hornsby) loses yet another woman in his life as Jo (Jessie Ennis) leaves him to assist Brad (Danny Pudi).

Just found this show and I think it’s wonderful! The cast has great chemistry. Plus I’ve seen a few shows try to do a special quarantine episode but I’m not sure any have done it as well as MQ. That scene with Poppy breaking down after Ian goes to her apartment was so real. Really looking forward to S2

• Love 10

I also just recently discovered this show after finally getting Apple TV+. I love it--it's laugh-out-loud funny and compelling, and I think that their quarantine episode was the best I've seen. Really looking forward to the new season.

• Love 2

Mythic Quest Completely Scrapped Original Season 2 Plans

Days into filming Season 2, the pandemic forced television productions in the greater Los Angeles area to shut down to slow the contagion's spread. Because of the changes to working conditions and the pandemic's impact on the wider world, series co-creator, executive producer and star Rob McElhenney said the production scrapped its original set of Season 2 scripts.

We had just worked for months, and we realized the world is different now and we can't go shoot this season. Over the break, we wrote an entirely new season, and that's what we shot." In the interim, Mythic Quest produced two standalone specials set in between the first and second seasons. The first special dealt with the pandemic impacting the fictional video game development studio directly, with the characters working from home and dealing with its impacts on their mental health. The second special, released two weeks ahead of the Season 2 premiere, focused on the staff celebrating as they returned to working at the office.

• Love 1

Episode S01.E01: Titan's Rift
With Ian on sabbatical, Poppy must come up with a title for the new expansion. Dana and Rachel take their relationship to new heights.
Airdate: May 7, 2021

Episode S01.E02: Grouchy Goat
Brad wants to launch a mobile game. Poppy is pulled away from working on the expansion with Ian to speack at a function for women in gaming.
Airdate: May 7, 2021

Episode S01.E03: #YumYum
Ian and Poppy work separately on the expansion. Jo helps C.W. deal with his publisher, and Brad sets out to find a romantic partner for David.
Airdate: May 14, 2021

2 episodes in and a strong start to the second season, I think.

I love all the characters but Carol steals every scene she’s in for me. Just the epitome of a tired, overworked HR rep who has to deal with people who have no idea what an HR rep does. She’s hilarious. 

• Love 3

Episode S01.E04: Breaking Brad 

Brad attempts to convince the development team that his brother Zack is not the nice guy he's pretending to be. Rachel does Ian a favor.

Airdate:  May 21, 2021 

Breaking Brad was really good on a lot of levels. The pig thing was great, the stuff with Ian and Rachel was great. I think they are going too far making Poppy a jerk this season, but I do like the overall dynamics of the show this year. The young kids aren’t wise but they aren’t stupid; they’ve done a good job showing why Ian was able to build the game and the company. That was lost in his hyperbolic narcissism last year. And also that Poppy was the one who sold out to Brad, and that decision created a real threat to the game. I think they had to build the world last year, and letting Pootie  be the “villain” was a good way to do it.  But this thing from Zach? That feels real and legit. 

the only thing I don’t love is Jo. Last year she made me laugh every time she was on screen. This year she’s gone from chaos agent to more plotting, and I think it takes away some of her humor. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I liked the Snoop Lion smoking a blunt. I thought Brad might have been smart enough to record what his brother Zack planned to do to the company.

I really thought after Zack walked off and we saw Jo watching from the control room that when she joined Zack on the elevator she'd pull out her phone and show him she'd recorded the whole thing.

The one thing that really annoyed me about this week's episode is that all Brad had to do was pull out his driver's license and be like, "See, it's not my birthday." And then it would have seemed really weird and shady that his brother contacted David weeks in advance, lied about it being Brad's birthday, and then showed up to surprise Brad on his not real birthday. 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, whiporee said:

I think they are going too far making Poppy a jerk this season, but I do like the overall dynamics of the show this year.

I actually do like this, for the time being, because I think a lot of people, if they were to become super successful, would kind of be a jerk while they got used to being super successful. It's like that quote by Bill Murray about how how anyone who becomes famous is gonna be an asshole for like two years and then they'll either calm down and get back to normal or stay an asshole forever. 

• Love 2

I really liked the first season and the covid special episodes, but I'm not loving where they are going with Poppy and I DESPISE Jo and fast forward all her scenes. I feel like both those characters are becoming caricatures. 

• Love 1

That was a rough, solid episode. Everyone broke up, at least to a degree, except CW and Susan who are still circling around the offices. 

They're doing good stuff with Rachel and Dana. Brad and Jo are fun to watch. And Ian and Poppy ... Ian knows how to cut much deeper than Poppy does, but Poppy is every bit as mean as he is. But I'm starting to wonder whether she's nearly the person he is -- she might be, in the end, exactly what Ian originally called her. A paintbrush -- able to implement an idea but unable to really come up with them on her own. Even the shovel only gets used once Ian figures out how to weaponize it. She's the one who sold out -- against Ian's wishes -- and created Battle Royale. She's the one struggling with her side of the expansion. She's the one who had to get a whole new team of programers because she couldn't inspire the original team. And she's the one who finds Ian's failure entertaining -- we've not see that kind of directed malice from him. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, whiporee said:

That was a rough, solid episode. Everyone broke up, at least to a degree, except CW and Susan who are still circling around the offices. 

They're doing good stuff with Rachel and Dana. Brad and Jo are fun to watch. And Ian and Poppy ... Ian knows how to cut much deeper than Poppy does, but Poppy is every bit as mean as he is. But I'm starting to wonder whether she's nearly the person he is -- she might be, in the end, exactly what Ian originally called her. A paintbrush -- able to implement an idea but unable to really come up with them on her own. Even the shovel only gets used once Ian figures out how to weaponize it. She's the one who sold out -- against Ian's wishes -- and created Battle Royale. She's the one struggling with her side of the expansion. She's the one who had to get a whole new team of programers because she couldn't inspire the original team. And she's the one who finds Ian's failure entertaining -- we've not see that kind of directed malice from him. 

Ian went very dark at the end. Maybe signifying an internal war will take place.

Not sure why they decided to make Popply such a villian but it is still a really good show.

(edited)

Good bottle episode this week! A lot of interpersonal conflict and setting up future storylines: Rachel and Dana, with Dana's possible move for school; Jo and Brad's circling for power and breakup; Ian's devastating cut-down of Poppy at the end. 4 episodes left in the season and I'm really looking forward to where this show is going!

Edit to add: the writer, Katie McElhenney (a relative of Rob?) also wrote the great episode, A Dark Quiet Death, as well as some great later episodes of It's Always Sunny.

Edited by TimothyQ
  • Like 1

I didn’t like the CW backstory ep as much as the one last season with Cristin Miloti and Jake Johnson and in general I hate CW but damned if I didn’t cry when he went back and had Peter read the book to him lol.

Also, fantastic casting with CW and Peter’s younger/older counterparts.

How many total episodes are there this season?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn’t like the CW backstory ep as much as the one last season with Cristin Miloti and Jake Johnson and in general I hate CW but damned if I didn’t cry when he went back and had Peter read the book to him lol.

Also, fantastic casting with CW and Peter’s younger/older counterparts.

How many total episodes are there this season?

Yeah, I absolutely teared up when he went back and had Peter read the book. Would not have called that Mythic Quest would make me cry, lol. 

Agree that their casting was fantastic.

• Love 1

You Can Now Read Mythic Quest‘s Faux Nebula Award-Winning Story, Tears of the Anaren

Tears of the Anaren by C.W. Longbottom (1973 Nebula Award-winning science-fiction and fantasy author and head writer of Mythic Quest.) This is the rough draft of the short story which includes the authors commentary that inspired two of the  books ("Inside the Caves of Beneroth" and "Tears of the Anaren") in C.W. Longbottom's soon to be completed Trilogy.

You can download for free the 28 page short story as an eBook from Apple Books and as a 48 minute audiobook read by the author C.W. Longbottom (F. Murray Abraham).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Episode S01.E09: TBD  Season Finale

Ian and Poppy collaborate again, Rachel and Dana figure out their next move, and Brad looks to settle a feud once and for all.

Airdate:  June 25, 2021 

Loved Brad's smack-down of Jo.  I've watched that half a dozen times.  LOL

Poppy continues to be absolutely horrendous.  They went way too far with her character this year IMHO.  I felt bad for her last year because Ian was a jackass most of the time.  But, OMG, since she got a little bit of power she's gone absolutely insane.  She's way worse than Ian ever was.  She's got some serious anger management issues as well.  A real hospital would have bounced her out on her ass as soon as she started ripping cords out of the medical equipment.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with this season.

(edited)

This snuck up on me as the season finale. I really dig this show. A little bit of a slump mid-season (and still not sure what Brad’s brother had to do with anything) but this final episode especially was great. Anyone know about a season 3?

Edited by TimothyQ
  • Love 2

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit.  I think the reason the show didn't really work for me this year is because Ian and Poppy weren't together very much, and when they were Poppy always seemed to be screaming about something.  I loved them in this last episode, totally on the same page.

What was the deal with David and Jo at the end?  Did she want to be David's assistant again so she could take over his job, or be the power behind the throne, or what?  Or is she trying to kick her addiction to power by attaching herself to someone who is powerless?

• Love 1
(edited)

I finished season two today and it wasn't even close to being as good as season 1.  Random thoughts:

The two C.W. episodes were horrible and boring.  Spending two episodes on a secondary character like that in a 10 episode season seems wasteful.

Why was Jo still employed there?  She was no longer Brad's assistant so what exactly was she doing?  She certainly wasn't assisting anyone.

Why did they make Poppy such a B this season?

So Ian and Poppy are no longer working on Mythic Quest but did they quit the company?  It's not very clear.  If they did quit, good luck getting Hera off the ground as I'm sure all of the rights to everything Poppy worked on and designed are property of Mythic Quest.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Love 1

I just found this show on Apple TV and decided to give it a shot on the strength of Danny Pudi and Ashly Burch. Pleasantly surprised. It's fun, with a bunch of characters I like, it pokes just enough fun at the gaming industry and it doesn't take anything too seriously.

But then I got to episode five, A Dark Quiet Death, and feel like I just watched a bittersweet, late 90s indie movie. That was a really impressive piece of television, and perfectly cast because Jake Johnson and Cristine Milioti are two actors who immediately invoke a sort of careworn, charismatic magnetism and melancholy.

In fact, I wish that episode was a movie. Stretch it to two hours and I'd happily watch their journey together.

• Love 2

Mythic Quest Season 3 returns to AppleTV+ on Friday, November 11 with a two episode premire.

Season 3: Ian and Poppy navigate the gaming world and their partnership at the newly formed GrimPop Studios, Dana is forced to play mediator to her bosses’ incessant bickering, while David settles into his new role as the boss and Carol attempts to figure out where she fits in after a new promotion.  At Berkeley, Rachel struggles to balance her morals with capitalism, while a post-prison Brad tries to return to society as a reformed man.

Unconfirmed: Season 3 is 10 episodes.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

Mythic Quest Season 3       November 11      AppleTV+  

Episodes 1-2   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S03.E01: Across the Universe
As David stewards Mythic Quest, Ian and Poppy consider offers for their offshoot game. Jo assembles the entire team for C.W.'s celebration.
FYhv4FDWYAAc9gw?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Fd0hcAAX0AEmuvX?format=jpg&name=4096x409
S03.E02: Partners

Ian feels adrift in his new partnership with Poppy. David and Jo are suspicious of an employee's return. Dana and Rachel meet the new testers.
FYhv2ndXgAUSeWZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409
49566-96968-mythic-quest-3-xl.jpg

Funny that their new office is only like a couple of floors down from MQ.  This season has started out better than last season.  Ian and Poppy are still at logger heads, but oh well.  Carol totally cracks me up!  She should have her own show cause she seriously has me laughing all the time. 

Still don't like Jo.