Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: B Negative

• Start Topic

It sucked that Jerry's body rejected the new kidney. Although I'm glad that we will be seeing more of him. 

I'm worried about Drew. He can't just take off to Iceland. He needs dialysis. I wonder where they're going to go with that? Will he go to Iceland? Will he get sick there and have to come back? How long is he going for? 

• Love 4

I hoped he was just sending the kid alone, but she's too young for that, isn't she? Skipping dialysis is a very serious and utterly suicidal thing to do, and surely he realizes that and doesn't want to put his kid through watching the effects while they're traveling. Maybe his wife went with her?

You know things are dire when Samantha is sincere for a brief moment.

Poor Jerry. It must be so heartbreaking to think that you're about to get your life back only to have it snatched away like that.

Drew seems pessimistic in general but I think that his health problems have turned him even further down that path. I get wanting to give his daughter her dream trip, but skipping dialysis to leave the country is incredibly irresponsible. Not only is he putting his health at risk but he's willing to let his daughter deal with the fallout of that?

I liked hearing everyone talk about what they wanted to do after dialysis. Salad dressing!

• Love 4

I enjoy this show, but I really don't like Drew.

Unlike his dialysis friends, he has a good shot of survival, but this is the second time in just a few episodes that he's decided to piss his good fortune away. (The other time being when he decided it was too much of an imposition to eat healthy.)

Leaving your teenage daughter stranded alone with your corpse in a foreign country will definitely give her lifelong memories, I'll say that for his plan.

• Love 5

I have a friend who needs dialysis. He goes on vacations. He just makes arrangements with wherever he’s going for dialysis. Is this not normal to do? His vacations are not overseas, however.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I have a friend who needs dialysis. He goes on vacations. He just makes arrangements with wherever he’s going for dialysis. Is this not normal to do? His vacations are not overseas, however.

Drew couldn't find a single place to do his dialysis wherever his daughter's out of town soccer tournament was so I have a feeling he didn't bother looking into if he could find somewhere for dialysis in Iceland. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll find out next week that he was super responsible and found somewhere that could accommodate him (although I'm trying to imagine how that would work since he isn't a citizen).

• Love 4

It would definitely be unexpected if this show suddenly morphs from a sitcom to some kind of dark Netflix-esque drama, and would certainly give Thomas Middleditch and Annaleigh Ashford surprise Emmy-reel material.

But if I had to guess, the next ep will take place entirely at the airport, with Gina and the gang coming up with some wacky plan that stops him at the last minute from boarding the plane.

Edited by Prairie Fire
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

What Drew said to Gideon on the phone suggested that he wasn't going to worry about dialysis on the trip.

At the end of the episode, there was a lot of talk about Jerry having to go back on the list for a kidney transplant. Does anyone know if he'd even be eligible for the list once he'd received a transplant?

I was under the impression that if you've received a kidney and rejected it, you're no longer eligible for the list, because they don't want someone to get a second kidney before others have had one.

Or maybe they just put you at the bottom of the list? I'd be curious to know.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

I think that his health problems have turned him even further down that path. I get wanting to give his daughter her dream trip, but skipping dialysis to leave the country is incredibly irresponsible. Not only is he putting his health at risk but he's willing to let his daughter deal with the fallout of that?

I think what Jerry went through has left him feeling sort of hopeless, like even though he's got a doner, he realizes it's still not a sure thing. So he wants to take his daughter on her dream trip like it may be his last chance to do so.

This show can be really sweet but it can be really poignant and sad too.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

At the end of the episode, there was a lot of talk about Jerry having to go back on the list for a kidney transplant. Does anyone know if he'd even be eligible for the list once he'd received a transplant?

I was under the impression that if you've received a kidney and rejected it, you're no longer eligible for the list, because they don't want someone to get a second kidney before others have had one.

My only experience is with the pediatric donor list which has some different rules than the adult list does. In pediatrics, you do get put back on the list if the first organ doesn't work out, and you usually get to go back to the top of the list. Many times I've seen them stay in the hospital to await the next available organ that is compatible which usually happens in a matter of days. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 2/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, Blakeston said:

What Drew said to Gideon on the phone suggested that he wasn't going to worry about dialysis on the trip.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it works like that. I've heard of people who received two and even three heart/lung transplants. Maybe it's different with different organs? What I don't understand is what they did with Jerry once his new kidney was rejected. They couldn't put back his original kidney, but the new one didn't work? And how long until Drew can have his transplant? Are they still waiting until Gina's system clears of drugs and/or she can stay sober for a certain amount of time? Sorry, I need to google it. So many questions and I doubt this show is 100% medically accurate.

• Love 1

That took a real dark turn, poor Jerry. He was so close to getting his life back and it was snatched away at the last minute. It was so sweet seeing everyone supporting him and making plans for their future, and that just made how things went even sadder. I thought they were going to actually kill him off for a second. 

As irresponsible as Drew is being, and skipping dialysis is bad enough never mind going off to a foreign country with your teenage daughter, I can understand why he feels so down. I think what is really getting him down is that Jerry waited so long and did everything right, and his body still rejected the kidney. Drew probably sees something like that happening to him, he does everything right, has a donor, and its all just to have that hope ripped away. So now he wants to do something while he can, and its really messed up, especially bringing his daughter into it, but I can understand it. 

Of course Samantha's way of living her best life is to ruthlessly overtake her rivals at her firm. 

• Love 3
On 2/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, brokenwing29 said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it works like that. I've heard of people who received two and even three heart/lung transplants. Maybe it's different with different organs? What I don't understand is what they did with Jerry once his new kidney was rejected. They couldn't put back his original kidney, but the new one didn't work? And how long until Drew can have his transplant? Are they still waiting until Gina's system clears of drugs and/or she can stay sober for a certain amount of time? Sorry, I need to google it. So many questions and I doubt this show is 100% medically accurate.

It's pretty close - my son got a kidney in November 2019.  Jerry will go back on dialysis and on the list.  Did you know that when you get a 'new' kidney, doctors do not remove the damaged ones?  Patients now have three kidneys.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1