Type keyword(s) to search

Raising Asia - General Discussion

• Start Topic

At 8, she may only have been in 2nd grade when this was filmed, and if so, multiplication was a new skill. Even early in 3rd, it's not out of character for a kid to still struggle with it, so that doesn't bother me too much.

With the "Rewind" show it  looks like the family is doing damage control.  If I had to guess, I would say Kristi was forced to do this cleanup because the ratings are so low and because there has been an overwhelming negative response to this show on Asia's Facebook page.  I'd say an 70% to 80% negative comments.

I didn't watch the Rewind sequence.  The comments I saw were all positive.  A lot of "see it's all in the editing."  When it comes to reality tv, I always quote Heather B from the very first Real World - "they use what you give them."

I found a lot of fault being laid on Lifetime (in the comments) for the way the shows have been edited.  Asia's fans are her fans because they like her. 

She can be talk back to her parents and all the eye rolling - and she's just being "fierce". I see a very disrespectful child. Who's the parent in that family?

I am a huge Chloe fan - I like her, I can "root" for her.

I can't root for Asia.

I can't root for Kristie.

They are both just unlikable to me.

I can root for Bluray.

I can root for Mr. Kristie.

I seriously want him to find a new life partner, maybe one of his old body building buddies, swoop up Bluray and ride off into the sunset.

Asia wants to "rule the world" and be the next Beyonce.

Queen Bey really has nothing to worry about - Beyonce doesn't drink from a sippy cup or use her fingers to count.

Edited by chabelisaywow

Every time Asia or Kristie says she wants to be the next Beyoncé I always think what was Beyoncé doing at age 8 and why wouldn't Asia want to be herself?  Copies are rarely as good or better than the original. 

I feel like we're watching a marriage crumble before our eyes and it's really awful to see. Kristie did a nice job of hiding the crazy until now. I think Asia really does have something, that magical it factor, she really does light up on stage and moves with a maturity that while it makes me uncomfortable, seems to come naturally to her. So my question is, won't all of that still be in her at 16 too? Can't she just take the best classes money can buy until she's mature enough to make her own decisions and can tackle Hollywood without Mommy dearest breathing down her tiny neck?

Did her manager learn nothing from Fame?? Wasn't the whole moral of the movie and show that talent is nothing and the business sucks? Raising Asia is like watching the famous scene with Irene Cara only her mother is behind the camera encouraging the whole mess.

• Love 1

I finally saw about 20 minutes of this train wreck and found it disturbing on so many levels. The kid is a mouthy, sarcastic brat. The mother makes Mama Rose from Gypsy look passive and the father appears to be a moron. This show stinks of naked exploitation and Lifetime should be ashamed of itself.

• Love 1

I'm more closely aligned with Billy-it seems kind of silly to complain about a song sung by an 8 yr old as being "childish". Asia can be pushed into dancing to mature music and in mature costumes, but you can't make a little kid's voice sound like an adult's, so enjoy being a kid.

Asia could blow out her knee dancing, too, and end her career. I can't see why skating at a birthday party is such a big deal. She's not even 10 yet, so sacrificing her normal "kid" life in favor of a career seems way too early.

Sadly, I suspect the photo shoot that had to be at the same time as little sister's birthday was set up for drama.

• Love 3

I caught this episode by accident mostly, but then was too horrified to change the channel.  This child has no childhood.  It's one thing if you want your child to have a career, or rather if the child wants a career.  It's another to completely take away your child's childhood as a result.  An 8 year old should be allowed to play and have fun.  Let's face it.  Asia could get hurt doing anything.  Are these parents really going to never let her do anything where she could get hurt in the name of protecting her career?  Let the child roller skate.  She could just as easily get injured while riding in a car, so are you going to stop her from being in a car too?  Will you not let her drive when she's of age? 

Awful, awful parents.  I can't imagine what is going to happen to this poor girl when she hits her teenage years. 

Also no, she's not going to be Beyonce no matter how many people involved with her will it to be so.  Stage parents at its worst.

• Love 1

Why does Billy seem to be the most sane one in the bunch?  Besides, what subject matter can you have an 8 year old sing about anyway?  Anything beyond a certain point is just going to be creepy.  Then again, the dancing stuff is already creepy.

Poor Asia, that is no way for a little girl to live.  I've been watching the show here and there, but this episode was my breaking point. I remember Asia not being allowed to ice skate with the Dance Moms girls last year. I thought it was mean of Kristie(sp?), but it kind of made sense.  But watching the family skate hand-in-hand and have fun right in front of her was beyond cruel.  Asia might act like she's okay with it, but that was so awful.  These people are not relatable in any way, thought the kids are cute.  I'm done watching them eat that weird strawberries and egg (whites) breakfast, and seeing Bella tossed to the side, only to be bought with an overly extravagant birthday.  I agree that there's as lot of manufactured drama going on.  I'm hoping Asia did get to skate off-camera, but with her crazy mom, I doubt it.   

• Love 2

Check out the mom's twitter account; lots of misspellings and grammatical errors. I think she is not very smart and truly operating under the assumption that Asia is the ticket to $. My prediction is that it will all blow up in her face. Asia will need to act out for attention in more and more scary ways, like Brittany Spears and Miley Cyrus. How can they think she will be the next Beyoncé and let her prance around like a stripper ? (reminds me of poor Jon-benet Ramsey.)

I think what they meant about not being "childish" is the actual tune. IOW, when Michael Jackson sang "I'll be there" around the same age, it was marked to the masses, young & old, and was a billboard hit. Conversely, a "childish" tune will only appeal to the Disney Kids.

I think what they meant about not being "childish" is the actual tune. IOW, when Michael Jackson sang "I'll be there" around the same age, it was marked to the masses, young & old, and was a billboard hit. Conversely, a "childish" tune will only appeal to the Disney Kids.

But the industry is also markedly different than it was when Michael Jackson started.  What 8 year old is being marketed to the masses and has billboard hits under their belts these days?  If Asia started off in the Nick/Disney lane, it doesn't mean she has to stay their forever.  I'm not necessarily saying the song they gave her to sing was any good, but I don't see anythign wrong with giving her tunes that will appeal to kids.  No adults are going to take her seriously at this point anyway.

• Love 1

We know that Asia aspires to be a dancer; we've seen her work on her singing (although it's hard to hear her voice over that of the singer she's singing over on the demo tape); and now I think we're watching her hone her acting skills...  I have a hard time believing that any of this is real!  Well, maybe poor little Bella Blue...

So exactly how many adults are there making money off of this little girl? I think she's an insufferable brat, but that has more to do with all the adults milking their own fame off of her than her personality it's self. 

Seems the dad is afraid of his wife, so he's bullying poor Billy instead (classic displacement syndrome).  Billy does seem to be the only one interested in letting this girl be a little girl, however talented, at least until she reaches double digits.  Where do they get their money, BTW?  Not a cheap place to live, and pretty fancy cars they drive!  Not to mention all of the paid services.  Mom, get some comfortable flats; those heels are beyond ridiculous!

• Love 2

Billy gets Asia a gig opening for a pop star, but it's a singer no one has heard of and upon arriving at the venue, Asia learns that she will have to prepare in a tent in the parking lot as it is a 21 and over nightclub.

Asia travels to Las Vegas to make her singing and dancing debut at Planet Hollywood; Anthony and Billy both try to take control of Asia's career, but they're both on thin ice with Shawn, who might just get tired enough of one man to fire him.

That manager seems like a crackpot.  A manager,acting teacher and songwriter. . . . .   I guess he knows people in reality TV but does he know people who can get her good auditions for acting roles on TV (and that realizes that no eight year old is really going to have a singing career, that hasn't happened since the 70's).  A manager that could really get her good jobs wouldn't be spending so much time with her because he'd have other clients.

I tried to find info on any other clients Billy Hufsey manages and the only one I could find was Asia.  I did find one source that said he entered the managing business in 2014.  Perhaps his real position is playing a manager on a reality show? 

• Love 3

Asia is no where near as talented as MJ was at her age and she will not have the 40 + years in "the business" that MJ had nor the level of success.  How he turned out had nothing to do with him being marketed to the masses; he was physically abused and overworked by his father as a child, no time for play.  As an adult he didn't have a life outside of "the business", became addicted to prescription drugs and was surrounded by yes men and women.  I see similarities in that Asia is being denied a childhood and no life outside of "the business".  So she may well turn out just like MJ, a hot mess.

• Love 1

Egads! Get over it. By the way they bitched over that improvised dressing room you'd think Asia was a Grammy-winning headliner being forced to crawl into her costume in a pup tent. Entire circuses perform under canvas.

What is wrong with these people? Does the 'mom' have a life beyond milking her bratty juvenile for some eventual big pay day?

Is Beyoncé a silent producer of this show? Her name gets mentioned in every episode about three times per non-commercial minute.

Has anybody from Child Welfare taken a gander at this series? There is something more than a little obscene about whoring an eight year old out on stage in outfits better suited for a Vegas showgirl.

This entire bunch ought to be locked up...and that includes the pimps in charge of this freak show at the Lifetime Network.

• Love 3

Is Beyoncé a silent producer of this show?

No, wishful thinking on their part - enough name dropping, Beyonce will take notice or something.

I laughed out loud when Mrs. Kristie said that Asia ranked right up there with "seasoned performers".

"Seasoned performers" don't sickle their feet.

Don't get me started on Asia eating "yellow eggs" lol.

Don't get me started on Asia eating "yellow eggs" lol.

OMG! I nearly yelled at my TV! I've said it before, but I'd bet the mom has or has previously had an eating disorder. You do not cut fat out of a kids diet. Kids need healthy fats for their BRAINS. They are still growing and they need all of the nutrition. Their bodies will not absorb fat soluble vitamins properly without fat in their diet.  She is setting those kids up for eating disorders.

• Love 1
Egads! Get over it. By the way they bitched over that improvised dressing room you'd think Asia was a Grammy-winning headliner being forced to crawl into her costume in a pup tent. Entire circuses perform under canvas.

Performers who are just starting out always have to pay their dues in sucky venues. This family's problem is they think Asia's stardom from Dance Moms gave her a free pass to leapfrog over all the dues paying. They think she's already a star, and they're just trying to make her a bigger one.

I had a flashback to "Gypsy" (the musical based on the life of Gypsy Rose Lee), when her stage mom/manager "accidentally" book her into a burlesque house and then actively pressure the teenager into stripping, Of course, Lee, even in the height of her career, performed more covered and in less explicit ways than Asia does at age 8-her "gimmick" was that she actively talked and interacted with the audience, without actually taking off much. Just like Rose, Kristy seems willing to do whatever it takes to get her child to be famous, whatever the cost.

• Love 1

Though it was The Learning Channel (who can tell them apart anymore)?

TLC is the lovely home to Kate Gosselin. lol and they're bringing her back!

Kristie is like the Soup Nazi - "No yellow eggs for you!" "No dairy for you!"

lol they were drinking iced teas - decaf iced tea maybe?

I had a flashback to "Gypsy" (the musical based on the life of Gypsy Rose Lee), when her stage mom/manager "accidentally" book her into a burlesque house and then actively pressure the teenager into stripping, Of course, Lee, even in the height of her career, performed more covered and in less explicit ways than Asia does at age 8-her "gimmick" was that she actively talked and interacted with the audience, without actually taking off much. Just like Rose, Kristy seems willing to do whatever it takes to get her child to be famous, whatever the cost.

I too had the Gypsy vibe going. We just needed the three strippers singing "Gotta Have a Gimmick" and Herbie blowing his top. And Kristie does remind me of Momma Rose.

Edited by Kitkat52
  • Love 1

Aren't they basically just the same four or five over and over?

1. The eyebrow

2. The snap

3. The booty pop

4. The fierce strut

5.  The Blu steel - in honor of her sister Bluray (sorry couldn't help it - just a little Zoolander humor)

The sad thing about it is, she first debuted (that looks weird) the same moves 3 years ago on AUDC in an improv against Lexine.  Nothing new - no growth, just the addition of plether and a whip.

• Love 3