Type keyword(s) to search

The Sandman in the Media

• Start Topic

+1 for Jenna Coleman and Patton Oswalt.  I'm also glad they cast a non-binary actor as Desire.

We still don't have a Constantine, do we?

IMDb also lists John Cameron Mitchell without a role, but he MUST be playing Hal, right?

• Love 1

Oh you’re right. I scrolled too quickly and only registered the last name.

If Warner Bros is willing I think Matt Ryan would happily play Constantine on Sandman, Legends Of Tomorrow, and the animated movies but I suspect they aren’t and will start fresh here. 

Netflix's Sandman Wraps Production on First Season

Ten months since production kicked off on Netflix's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman and filming has officially wrapped. Special effects and music still need to be added.

Neil Gaiman updated his iconic comic book series for modern television audiences, saying that they're approaching the show as if it was being written for 2020. They have seventy-five issues of Sandman, essentially 13 full books worth of material they can adapt or springboard off of.

I know the bare minimum about the source material but, this looks good. I'm quite excited to watch it. Neil Gaimen made sure Good Omens stayed true and was done well so I'm hoping (for the Sandman fans) that this will please them. I know from his Twitter that he was very protective of the IP and waited a long time for right opportunity 

• Love 1

I'm not prepared to say "They nailed it!" yet, because they apparently did update it to present day (the spectacular audio drama that Audible has been releasing kept it contemporary to the comics, so late-80s/early-90s), which I think does lose a little something.  Can't argue with the production design or the cast, though.

• Love 1

I am a big fan of hers and she is the only reason I’m even remotely interested in this series. I love the look. I was a little worried they would darken her hair and sex her up. I love the blonde, blue-eyed, bored as hell prudish priest look.

• Love 2

Netflix’s The Sandman Series Is ‘All About Surprising You’, Says Neil Gaiman – Exclusive Image

Gaiman opened up about the genre-hopping, tone-switching approach of The Sandman on screen.

Spoiler

“You watch Episode 1 and think, ‘Oh, I get this thing: it’s like Downton Abbey, but with magic,’” he says. “Then you’ll be wondering, ‘What the hell is this?’ by Episode 2, when you’re meeting Gregory The Gargoyle in The Dreaming. Episode 5 is about as dark and traumatic as anything is ever gonna get, then you’ve got Episode 6, which is probably the most feel-good of all the episodes.” It’s a notion that looks set to differentiate The Sandman from all the other lavish fantasy adaptations out there. “If you didn’t like an episode of Game Of Thrones, you probably won’t like any other episode of Game Of Thrones,” reasons Gaiman. “With Sandman, it’s all about surprising you. It’s all about reinventing itself. It’s all about taking you on a journey you’ve not been on before.”

the-sandman-excl.jpg?format=jpg&quality=

Tom Sturridge in the central role of Dream (aka Morpheus), pictured alongside the librarian Lucienne, played by Vivienne Acheampong.

The cast of The Sandman also includes:

Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer

Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthian

Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess

Asim Chaudry and Sanjeev Bhaskar as Abel and Cain

Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Death

Stephen Fry as Gilbert 

• Love 3
(edited)

the-sandman.jpg

The Sandman       Aug. 5     Netflix

ESSEX_108_Unit_00596R.jpgESSEX_110_Unit_01160R.jpg

Mark Hamill will voice the character Merv Pumpkinhead.

Lady Johanna Constantine  (Jenna Coleman who also plays the role of Joanna Constantine)
EN-US_Sandman_Character_Johanna_Constati
The Corinthian  (Boyd Holbrook)
EN-US_Sandman_Character_Corinthian_Sungl

ENUS_Sandman_Teaser_Master_Vertical_27x4

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

It looks good but I don't have a good track record with Neil Gaiman. I found his American Gods rather boring (both book and show) and the trailer and the clip with Lucifer seems to go towards the same slow pace with loooong dramatic pauses in scenes. I hope there is more to Lucifer and the Sandman than that.

I did like his Doctor Who episode The Doctor's Wife. Not so much Nightmare in Silver, unfortunately.

Does anyone else feel like the Sandman looks a bit like a younger The Cure's Robert Smith? 

• Like 1
  • Love 3