Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Blown Away

Bali
  • Start Topic

Of course Hope accepted. And the Not the Golden Girls unknitters crew is worried about Muriel. Well, hopefully there's a distinguished retired general on the wine cruise and our Muriel will be just fine.

Preacher tries to talk to Jack, but Jack is too selfish to talk. And the character assassination of Jack is complete. 

Charmaine UGH. Why do you not understand that it's better for the kids to NOT see unhappily married parents? Divorce or not being together is often BETTER for kids. 

Connie. Stick. Butt. Remove it. 

Love Ricky's grandma. 

Of course there's a twin brother. Gag.

Jamie the cook is a very boney cook. I am not sure I trust a cook that anorexic looking. 

I'm sure Jack will be fine. Then maybe he'll ask Preacher how his life is going. But I am not holding my breath on that. 

I love Teryl Rothery, so I'll be back as long Muriel is.

• Love 5

Just got done Episode 10. Good cliffhanger(s). It’s too bad we have to wait another year for Season 3. Jack & Mel are a great pair with Erica Kane (Charmaine) trying to spoil the fun. I thought last year it was more wintery than this season. I prefer the cold and all the layers they were wearing. I then tried to find the knockoff versions of Mel & Jack’s wardrobe. I think Jack is like wearing the Eddie Bauer look and I’m not really sure about Mel but she’s very relaxed in nice sweaters and tight jeans. See everyone in 2021 for Season 3.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Let's hope Lizzie moves back home and they don't do a teenage unwed pregnancy plot complete with wide eyed boy amazed he could make a baby.

OMG! Lizzie and the restaurant lady from SF need to disappear from my screen like right now. They were the two most (mostly Lizzie) annoying & unneeded characters that Virgin River ever needed. I like the young guy but I don’t necessarily need for him to have a storyline. Apparently, TPTB loved him last year and signed him to a contract. I don’t mind a contract but just leave him in the  bar. Small doses is quite enough. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I liked Ricky last year, but I liked him as he was used last year. And I appreciate the thought behind showing the guy anxious about sex, but the execution was mind numbingly boring. Plus Lizzie always looks like she’s performing. I'll admit their story went completely differently than I expected. I thought she'd get involved with Brady and use Ricky for cover. That deal with Brady ended before it began. 

Happy that Doc at least tried to tell Hope about his medical issues. I think my favorite Hope scene was in this episode. It's when she tells her circle about the wedding and they start to snipe at each others ideas. Hope, meanwhile, just looks content as she realizes that these women are showing her their love this way. 

I can't believe they saddled us with an identical twin after the storyline for, what, eight of of ten episodes was. Connie instructing Preacher on how to evade the police. It's a lame twist however you put it, but at least starting it off earlier could mean they'd have finished it this season. Though who knows, given how they just shipped off Paige, maybe next year Preacher will already be gone with the kid when we start. 

This season missed more of the town folks IMO. 

• Love 6

Sigh!

What a disappointing season.  Get rid of the kids, the guy is good, the girl is a twit and the storyline is forgettable.

Jack is suddenly being portrayed as a jackass. His scene with Preacher when Preach pitched him the partnership idea was so beyond sad.  So poor Jack has issues and Preacher tries to help him.  Poor Jack has girl problems and Preacher holds the ENTIRE business together and Jack is so beyond dismissive and entitled I almost spit my water out.  Yikes, just awful in character development, plotting and overall consistency that I remain gobsmacked.

And the scene in the kitchen with the 'house' discussion and Jack's complete - - I don't even know what to call it.  Ignorance, entitlement????

She is bat crap crazy and he should absolutely know that by now.  Being at her beck and call because he is guilty for her being pregnant is stupid.  She was a partner, they should have had a serious conversation about the rights and responsibilities and expectations.  She should be in a bigger town with better medical care and most of all.......MEL SHOULD NOT BE TREATING HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a mess and I do not mean that it is in an entertaining way.

Most of all I feel sorry for Preacher and the actor who portrays him.  The actor is so good he rises above the material and makes the character believable - - at least for this show.

Not sure if I will tune in for season 3.  Sort of in the same sense we all slow down for wrecks.  But I might have better things to spend my time on by then:)

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

What a disappointing season.  Get rid of the kids, the guy is good, the girl is a twit and the storyline is forgettable.

Yes!  It seems as if they are almost trying to attract 12 year olds to the show.  I don't know how that actress will ever live down that part.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, TVForever said:

Does anyone know the song that was playing during Mel and Jack's sex scene? I loved it, and would love to find the track.

I haven’t finished the season yet but I wanted to say that the soundtrack on this show is outstanding. The music choices have been fantastic. 

• Love 9

Ok, finished this episode last night.  Can Jack and Mel be any stupider?  Trying to handle the Calvin problem themselves (individually) when they know he is a murderous thug?  I sometimes have an issue with the writing of this show.  At the beginning they were discussing Brodie murdering the young guy (forgot his name) but instead of being horrified they began to discuss their own pain and had sex.  Really?  I'd think the recent discovery would have been a buzz kill.  Whatever.  They are all about their own pain.  Well, now Jack has some real pain to consider.

Hope is still a pain in the ass.  Connie is a pain in the ass.  Charmain is a pain in the ass (although she was right about Jack giving her mixed messages).  Even more of a pain in the ass is Lizzie.  Obnoxious character who needs to be shipped home stat.  Why does she act like she's 14?  At 19 she is a grown ass woman and needs to start acting responsibly.  The only one who isn't a PITA is Grandma.

So what happened to Paige?  Is her kid going to live with Preacher now?  (Which is why he can't leave, right?)  What's to stop Uncle Twin from taking the kid?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Charmain is a pain in the ass (although she was right about Jack giving her mixed messages). 

I don't think Jack is giving Charmaine mixed messages—she's seeing the messages as mixed. He told her bluntly they weren't going to be a couple but he was going to be there for the babies. She seems unwilling to accept that. He could probably be better about setting boundaries, but Charmaine takes advantage of his wanting to be involved.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 12/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, parrotfeathers said:

Let's hope Lizzie moves back home and they don't do a teenage unwed pregnancy plot complete with wide eyed boy amazed he could make a baby.

Every scene with these kids I find myself questioning if I'm watching Sweet Magnolias.  I don't know why these characters seem so out of place on this particular show but I feel them, and their random storyline, seem to fit right in on Sweet Magnolias.  I also should stop bingeing shows like this back to back.  

All that's missing is for a character to say "I love you" and their partner replies with "Thank you." (isn't that tired bit used in every series, at some point?)

• Love 3
On 12/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Lady Libertine said:

With all due respect, I think you might be conflating being a floor or staff nurse/RN with being an advanced practice nurse like an NP, CNM, or CRNA. Mel is a CNM. Most NPs and CNMs wear business casual often with a lab coat in office and clinic and often for rounding in hospital and will wear scrubs for medical procedures or deliveries. 

Doc defers to Mel on diagnosis because he is a general practitioner/family practice doc and she is a specialized field in nurse-midwifery who up until recently worked at a high-ranked, high-volume, high-acuity hospital and likely has more obstetrical experience than him as well as more experience with unusual cases. While Doc, as a FP doc, does attend a few of the low-risk births in town from locals, he is unlikely to be intimately familiar with all the unusual complications and issues one would see at a big hospital and he is also unlikely to be up-to-date on new medical treatments and research specifically for OBGYN stuff. Mel has to keep up with that for her job and has probably seen far more women with issues like Hyperemesis Gravidarum and tried different treatments with them. Actually, even before I was an advanced-practice nurse myself, I worked closely with a doctor who consulted me often even though we were in the same specialized field AND he had worked in it for 20+ years. We would brainstorm treatment options/plans and this was because he respected me as his intellectual equal (as Doc seem to with Mel now) and he recognized I brought a different perspective both from being at the bedside and because I had extensive history as an ICU nurse prior to working in women's health with him and so was more familiar with some of the non-gynecological emergencies and how they would be treated in the ICU.

I actually think this show is one of the *most* realistic depictions I have seen of a doctor-nurse or doctor-NP relationship and how they work together as part of a multidisciplinary care team. I was shocked by how accurate it can be on that note. Nurses do not work for the doctor (their supervisors would continue to be nursing leadership) and particularly in a field like advanced practice nursing, you are fairly autonomous and independent while for certain fields and in certain states you may be supervised by a physician signing off. I cannot tell you how many times even as a baby nurse, physicians would ask what I thought we should do when they were stuck. We each bring different things to the table and Doc recognizes that and uses Mel's strengths and experience to fill in the areas where his knowledge may not be as deep.

As for Preacher, I don't know, maybe they want us to believe he is a saint. Maybe we're supposed to think he is deeply in love with Paige even though he never got to really act on it and would thus do anything to keep her safe.

Yes, Mel is definitely consulted due to her nurse practitioner status, as well as her experience with midwifery and emergency (and I think there was something else?). I'm not in the medical field but I appreciate the distinction here. 

I wish we had seen more interaction between Preacher and Paige. Not necessarily romantic, even a deeper friendship would have been better. He clearly talked to her and remembered details of her life but questioned them (wasn't your dad from ... or don't you have a degree in psychology) unlike someone who was really close to her. 

On 12/23/2020 at 6:42 AM, Haleth said:

Ok, finished this episode last night.  Can Jack and Mel be any stupider?  Trying to handle the Calvin problem themselves (individually) when they know he is a murderous thug?  I sometimes have an issue with the writing of this show.  At the beginning they were discussing Brodie murdering the young guy (forgot his name) but instead of being horrified they began to discuss their own pain and had sex.  Really?  I'd think the recent discovery would have been a buzz kill.  Whatever.  They are all about their own pain.  Well, now Jack has some real pain to consider.

Hope is still a pain in the ass.  Connie is a pain in the ass.  Charmain is a pain in the ass (although she was right about Jack giving her mixed messages).  Even more of a pain in the ass is Lizzie.  Obnoxious character who needs to be shipped home stat.  Why does she act like she's 14?  At 19 she is a grown ass woman and needs to start acting responsibly.  The only one who isn't a PITA is Grandma.

So what happened to Paige?  Is her kid going to live with Preacher now?  (Which is why he can't leave, right?)  What's to stop Uncle Twin from taking the kid?

Jack thinks he can solve the world's problems and Mel is following him - dumb! Does either of them have means to defend themselves? I know Jack is trained but is he carrying when he drops in on the murderous thugs?

I love Ricky's Grandma. She stood up for her son as the respectable young man that he is, only doing what people his age do and asking if they were careful. Connie objecting is believable, though, because a lot of people think that way. 

• Love 2

Thank you to love2lovebadtv.

I really appreciate the explanation of the various levels of nursing as I was unaware of a few of them.

In my professional life I worked with a number of nurses and was often awed at their knowledge and expertise.  To say nothing of often being more welcoming and empathetic than some MDs.

My comment about "Mel should not be treating her" had literally nothing to do with her medical credentials and expertise and I do apologize to all who read it that way as I was unclear.

I was referring to her conflict of interest, being that she is/was/soon to be again Jack's squeeze.  Should something happen, and we all know how often life goes in unexpected and awful ways, she could easily be charged with conflict of interest leading to malpractice, etc.

God only knows, this show has pulled out every single other cliche in the books!

• Love 1
On 1/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, kaygeeret said:

Thank you to love2lovebadtv.

I really appreciate the explanation of the various levels of nursing as I was unaware of a few of them.

In my professional life I worked with a number of nurses and was often awed at their knowledge and expertise.  To say nothing of often being more welcoming and empathetic than some MDs.

My comment about "Mel should not be treating her" had literally nothing to do with her medical credentials and expertise and I do apologize to all who read it that way as I was unclear.

I was referring to her conflict of interest, being that she is/was/soon to be again Jack's squeeze.  Should something happen, and we all know how often life goes in unexpected and awful ways, she could easily be charged with conflict of interest leading to malpractice, etc.

God only knows, this show has pulled out every single other cliche in the books!

Gotcha! I am about to start Season 3 so I decided to revisit this forum to remind me where we left off and I'm just seeing this.

I 100% agree Mel shouldn't have been treating Charmain - as you said, because it's inappropriate and could lead to malpractice claims. There's so much conflict of interest and sharing of confidential information going on that I wonder how they haven't been sued already. Also, despite Mel being a nurse practictioner, I do think it's unrealistic that she has so many specialties!

• Love 1
On 1/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, ALittleShelfish said:

Every scene with these kids I find myself questioning if I'm watching Sweet Magnolias.  I don't know why these characters seem so out of place on this particular show but I feel them, and their random storyline, seem to fit right in on Sweet Magnolias.  I also should stop bingeing shows like this back to back.  

They feel out of place because this is a show about adults. Not young adults, but generally middle-aged and senior citizen people. There isn't a twentysomething group here at all, and the teens aren't the kids of the main characters. That's why it feels so jarring. Pretty sure the Powers that Be liked the guy, and just added a girlfriend to give him something to do.

It's also just bizarre because they have these characters acting like they're 15 but they're both old enough for college. I'd be far less annoyed with the character if they added in something like Connie is footing the bill for the granddaughter to attend school that her parents can't afford or something. Like Gilmore Girls, but bitchier. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bali said:

Of course there's a twin brother. Gag.

Who wears his hair and facial hair EXACTLY like his deceased brother. (Seriously, they couldn't have even tried to make him look a little bit different?)

From the title I honestly expected that the bar was going to explode and there would be a group of people there, like the first season finale of Army Wives.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2021 at 4:17 AM, methodwriter85 said:

They feel out of place because this is a show about adults. Not young adults, but generally middle-aged and senior citizen people. There isn't a twentysomething group here at all, and the teens aren't the kids of the main characters. That's why it feels so jarring. Pretty sure the Powers that Be liked the guy, and just added a girlfriend to give him something to do.

It's also just bizarre because they have these characters acting like they're 15 but they're both old enough for college. I'd be far less annoyed with the character if they added in something like Connie is footing the bill for the granddaughter to attend school that her parents can't afford or something. Like Gilmore Girls, but bitchier. 

Who wears his hair and facial hair EXACTLY like his deceased brother. (Seriously, they couldn't have even tried to make him look a little bit different?)

From the title I honestly expected that the bar was going to explode and there would be a group of people there, like the first season finale of Army Wives.

So...... who was the other actor who played Page's husband or is it her ex- husband? Are there two different actors because these twins are not identical twins but fraternal twins? I'm confused with these two actors and the twins' story line. Help.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:29 PM, luvthepros said:

So...... who was the other actor who played Page's husband or is it her ex- husband? Are there two different actors because these twins are not identical twins but fraternal twins? I'm confused with these two actors and the twins' story line. Help.

They recast the guy who played Page's husband from the guy that we saw at the end of the first season looking for her (he was much lighter and had blondish hair with blue eyes) to the guy that we saw terrorize Page in the first episode of season 2. (Or was it the second?) Now this second actor is playing the brother.

Edited by methodwriter85
20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They recast the guy who played Page's husband from the guy that we saw at the end of the first season looking for her (he was much lighter and had blondish hair with blue eyes) to the guy that we saw terrorize Page in the first episode of season 2. (Or was it the second?) Now this second actor is playing the brother.

Oh....so Page's husband does have a twin brother. Steve Bacic plays the husband and his twin brother. Thanks, I have that straight now.