Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Frost

Escape To The Chateau

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I would assume that there would be some sort of toilet in there.  There were some cabinet doors that they didn't open, so I'm guessing that the loo is in there, however basic it may be. 

God, I hope so.  Imagine how guests (esp. men) will relieve themselves if there are no toilet facilities.  I do wish Angela (for such is her real name) had shown us.  The toilet must be totally utilitarian and not at all staggeringly charming, like the rest of the boat is.

And lovely as all the extra-chateau additions are (glamping domes on land and sea, those aviaries especially) they are too much imo and interfere with the magic of the castle.  I wish they would confine all their future projects to inside the castle walls.  I understand that they are finding ways to increase guest capacity, but if they keep this up, no one is going to want to stay at a castle which is only part of the background.

As to the aviary, I worry about those birds.  Do the nights get too cold for them?  What happens to them in bad weather?  Do they have winter quarters?  Do they have enough room?

• Like 4

I'm sure the boat has a bathroom inside or nearby, or it will at some point if for guests. I wouldn't pay several hundred dollars a night and not get a toilet and a shower. 

Even if it's for the family, the chateau is in view, so why pretend?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frost said:

I know he's only 6 years old so I feel like an ogre!  I just could use a little less of Arthur on the show.

His antics don't bother me.  And no, you feeling otherwise doesn't make you an ogre!!  Angel mentioned that Dorothy is shy, so I guess Arthur makes up for her quietness! 

1 hour ago, Mothra said:

And lovely as all the extra-chateau additions are (glamping domes on land and sea, those aviaries especially) they are too much imo and interfere with the magic of the castle. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm afraid that Angel is going to junk up the outdoors!  I hope they'll stop adding things to the moat now.  

1 hour ago, Mothra said:

As to the aviary, I worry about those birds.  Do the nights get too cold for them?  What happens to them in bad weather? 

Hopefully they have an alternate place for them in the winter and in bad weather.  I follow their FB page, so I might just ask them that sometime and see if I get a response. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 4

I have quite the crush on James. I mean, just look at him 👀 Another reason to visit Cornwall!

PNG image.png

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

On 5 June in the Chateau slot (Saturdays, 7 Central, 8 Eastern) they'll start Vacation House Rules, Season 2 (HGTV U.S.), so I guess this Saturday is the last Chateau episode.    I really miss seeing the family, and their lovely home. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really miss seeing the family, and their lovely home. 

Do you follow them on FB?  Here's a link to something else they're doing called The Salon.  I haven't joined that, but it might be interesting.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

On 5/27/2021 at 8:11 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I seem to always be getting the Xmas episodes. 

This is the second Christmas episode I've seen.  I love Christmas at the Chateau!  How cute were those candy cane wreaths!  She comes up with the best ideas and ones that are pretty simple to make.  I need to jot that idea down for next Christmas. 

I was looking at the aviaries and they did appear to be empty.  Many of us were concerned about the birds during the winter there.  I have no idea where they are, but I couldn't see any activity in the cages.  I have faith that they took them in or gave them to people to see after for the winter.   

• Like 4

I decided to Google 'candy cane wreaths', and much to my embarrassment, that idea has been around quite a long time!  In my defense though, I don't use Pinterest (where many images of them are located), so that's the first one I've seen.  Yes, I live in a cave.  ha ha.  

I had to cringe when they all blew out the candles on the yule log, as this was filmed in December, 2019, right before everything went crazy.  Seeing people hugging and kissing on TV seems weird now too,  since social distancing seems so normal.   

I also saw a small kitchen where Dick was cooking the custard, so that answers my question about whether there is a small kitchen behind the dining room.  I think it was in that general area.  FWIW, no matter how one dresses up an oyster, I find them so visually unappealing that I just can't eat one.  That slimy blob laying in the half-shell does nothing for me!!  I did try a fried one years ago, but it's still a no-go for me!  ;) 

I hope that the show will be back to normal in the coming months.  Their resourcefulness and ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.  I loved seeing Angel and Dick working together to get those pom-poms made for the kids' Christmas bags.  It's inspiring to see how many things Angel makes, rather than buying them pre-made.  

• Like 3

I cringed at the candle blowing too. Blowing out candles on a cake is a practice I won't do anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I cringed at the candle blowing too. Blowing out candles on a cake is a practice I won't do anymore. 

The pandemic makes you look at things in a completely different way, doesn't it!

I really enjoy seeing all of Angel's finishing touches when she decorates the dinner table.  I wasn't sure where she was going with the moss theme, but it sure turned out cute & pretty.  

• Like 4

On 5/31/2021 at 3:24 PM, BradandJanet said:

Years ago I came across this quote and I haven't looked at cake the same way since.

Birthday Cake.  The only food people will eat after someone else has spit on it.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

22 hours ago, dosodog said:

Years ago I came across this quote and I haven't looked at cake the same way since.

Birthday Cake.  The only food people will eat after someone else has spit on it.

whenever I heard that saying I wondered why people were blowing out candles wrong, spit shouldn’t be involved. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 6

They're airing an episode on PBS tonight with Dick and Angel taking to people on the phone about their own projects. 

They're doing their own v/o. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They're airing an episode on PBS tonight with Dick and Angel taking to people on the phone about their own projects. 

They're doing their own v/o. 

It's not airing on any of my four PBS stations. 😥

• Sad 1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Is anyone watching this 'Make Do and Mend' show or is there another thread? 

Is it available in the U.S.?  I haven't even tried searching for it because I thought it was just in the U.K. 

42 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It's on in place of the original in the same time slot on my local pbs affiliate. 

Thanks!  I will do a search for it.  I hope that I haven't been missing it.

It hasn't been on either of my PBS stations, they're doubling down on some sappy Australian thing.  And, of course, the Doo Wap special.

I saw season 1, episode 1 of DIY on TV Saturday night, I think on PBS. This is the show that features other British people buying and renovating French Chateaus. Dick and Angela meet briefly with the owners(s) to give advice, but mostly the intrepid owners are own their own. This is a good series, filmed before the pandemic. I hope the station keeps showing it. 

• Like 2

It's not on my PBS station either.  Rats!  I'll just have to keep up with them on their FB page. They were talking about how some people just walk up to their chateau wanting to look around.  They mentioned that one family actually came into the house.  They've had to tell several people to leave.   They don't allow their show to be aired in France because they don't want to be seen as celebrities.  I'm sure they appreciate their fans, but they don't want them just showing up expecting a tour, especially when their children are playing outside.   That is quite rude of people.   I think Dick is going to need to install an opener/closer on the gate to the chateau, with some security cameras!

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It's not on my PBS station either.  Rats!  I'll just have to keep up with them on their FB page. They were talking about how some people just walk up to their chateau wanting to look around.  They mentioned that one family actually came into the house.  They've had to tell several people to leave.   They don't allow their show to be aired in France because they don't want to be seen as celebrities.  I'm sure they appreciate their fans, but they don't want them just showing up expecting a tour, especially when their children are playing outside.   That is quite rude of people.   I think Dick is going to need to install an opener/closer on the gate to the chateau, with some security cameras!

Dick and Angela come across as so warm and friendly I can see why naive people might believe that they welcome any fans who appear on the doorsteps. It's silly, of course. I think there are security cameras, but a closed gate might be helpful if they don't have one already. 

Most celebrities have this problem, especially if they let cameras into their homes and their lives. It's unfortunate, but fame and money come with serious issues attached. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

It's unfortunate, but fame and money come with serious issues attached. 

So true.  It sounds like they want to live a normal life, but once you're on TV like this, that's going to be hard to do.  There are a lot of fans who are either clueless or complete whackadoodles out there though.  They're going to need some heavy duty locks on their doors too!

• Like 2

I don't know how secure the perimeter of the property is. I think there is a swimming pool that is never shown, so it might be a bigger property than it appears on TV with multiple ways to get in. I'm just speculating. 

9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised there isn't a gate. 

I think there's a gate at the entrance, but I've never seen it closed.  Also, I think one can simply walk around it anyway!  

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I think there's a gate at the entrance, but I've never seen it closed.  Also, I think one can simply walk around it anyway!  

We haven’t actually seen the entrance to the full property, only to the area that marks off the courtyard to the Chateau and the outbuildings that now house Angel’s parents a ton of the property is out in front and on all sides. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Episode 2 of DIY was on WGBH Boston,  Saturday at 7:00 p.m.: Johnnie and Ashley, Phillip and Angelina, John and Michael. I hope some other PBS stations pick this series up because it's great fun. Single mother Fiona will be on at some point, and she's my Chateau Hero.  

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, ChitChat said:

It's not on my PBS station either. 

Peacock has all the seasons of DIY. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

This series has disappeared off of my cable lineup.

The season is over. It seems like it flew by. At our house we've started watching "Clarkson's Farm" on Amazon Prime. Jeremy Clarkson from "Top Gear" and "The grand Tour" starts operating a farm he owns. To us it hits the right tone as something to watch before bed. 

You can find the forum here: 

• Like 2

Thank you badhaggis. My cable lineup dropped it about two months ago, about four episodes in I think. 🤕

• Sad 1