Type keyword(s) to search

Escape To The Chateau - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I only saw a clip of it in a later episode, so I haven't seen its construction etc. It looked pneumatic to me. 

My fuzzy recollection of the installation episode would confirm that it’s pneumatic.

• Love 3

Well, I wanted to order something from their website, but it looks like they're just taking PayPal right now.  I'm not using PayPal anymore, so maybe they'll have some other options in the near future.  I was able to sign up for their newsletter though.  

I didn't see the episode with the lift they had installed.  I don't think I'd like that, other than using it to hoist laundry or other assorted items.  I'd stick to using the stairs! 😉  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 5:33 AM, BradandJanet said:

I think we saw three people ride in the lift at one time: Angel and her parents maybe? It was a squeeze but up they went. This was at the end of the episode in which it was installed. 

It was Dick’s mom and sister and one of the kids. His mom was one of the reasons they put in the elevator because she has mobility issues and had never been above the first floor.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

The potagerie room is beautiful!  I wouldn't be brave enough to put all of those dried flowers on the wall, but I think it looks quite beautiful.  

I was able to order the apron from their website, and it's the same design as the new wallpaper.  I'm thrilled to know that Angel came up with the design, so I'm anxious to see the apron where I can look over every detail of it!  Is it okay that I'm now obsessed with this show?  🙂   I want to live in a castle!  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Suzysite said:

The kids are so adorable. I had to laugh at the campout scene with Dick and Arthur and the beans.

As busy as Angel & Dick are, it's nice to see them take the time to have fun with their kids, especially seeing Dick's excitement about the obstacle course he built.  He is one busy man!

I finally got to see the lift on last night's episode.  Several people have commented on it being pneumatic, but it never occurred to me what that would look like!  I think going up in what looks like a banking tube would be a bit confining for me!  Clever idea though. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/25/2021 at 7:28 PM, ChitChat said:

From what little I've watched, Dick has joked about how particular Angel is, and it appears that what Angel wants, Angel gets!!  I think he's happy to oblige her though.  The aerial view of the glamping dome looked really nice.  I think her vision played out really well.  That should be a nice little money-maker for them.  I'd stay there just for the chance to sit and stare at the Chateau!!  Throw in a tour of it and I'd be in heaven.  🙂 

That glamping dome really bothers me.  I think it kind of spoils the view of the castle--it's so completely incongruous in materials, color, shape, everything.  I'm sure it's fun, but I wish they could hide it in a more woodsy place where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb!  Ditto the floating dome--hide it in the bullrushes like Moses when it's not in use!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

That glamping dome really bothers me.  I think it kind of spoils the view of the castle--it's so completely incongruous in materials, color, shape, everything.  I'm sure it's fun, but I wish they could hide it in a more woodsy place where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb!  Ditto the floating dome--hide it in the bullrushes like Moses when it's not in use!

I sort of thought the same thing. If I’m going to visit a chateau, why would I want to stay in a geodesic dome on a raft? Give me a tower suite!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Didn't someone say this was on HBO Max? I couldn't find it. 

It’s on Peacock streaming (free). Sort of consolidated episodes are on HGTV, where they edit some of the original episodes together. Have not seen it on HBO.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Rickster said:

I sort of thought the same thing. If I’m going to visit a chateau, why would I want to stay in a geodesic dome on a raft? Give me a tower suite!

As I understand it, the glamping guests do not have access to Dick and Angel's chateau, so I assume they're on their own for meals. At least the glamping site has bathing/toilet facilities. One of the owners in the DIY series build a glamping dome but guests had to use the toilet in the chateau. 

I think that many chateaus begin as bed-and-breakfasts, but this isn't particularly profitable. Owners prefer large events like weddings, reunions, retreats that bring in groups for several days of meals and accommodations. Dick and Angel apparently run their business as event space rather than renting out individual rooms. Another approach some owners take is to rent out the main chateau for the season while the owners live in one of the outbuildings or return to England. I would find it tough to turn over my chateau to strangers after all the work that goes into restoration! The buildings aren't cheap to maintain, so the business needs to make money any way it can. 

It's fun to check out chateau accommodations on the Internet and get virtual tours and some prices. I also found a site with listings for chateaus to buy. My little non-chateau is almost more than I can handle, so it will never happen. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 3/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, BradandJanet said:

As I understand it, the glamping guests do not have access to Dick and Angel's chateau, so I assume they're on their own for meals.

It has a small kitchen.  It looked like that area was walled off with a fence, giving the guests and Dick & Angel their privacy. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The attention to detail for the weddings it amazing!      Everything was so wonderfully crafted to make the bridal couple, and guests happy.

I just got the chance to watch the episode.  Angel does such a nice job with the decorating.  I heard her say that the bride wanted lots of natural touches with the floral arrangements.  I'm sure it smelled so good in there with all of the eucalyptus!  The bride's dress was stunning too!  I don't know how Angel gets everything done.  She even monogrammed all of the linen napkins.  That's no small task!  (I'm assuming she did it herself.)   I love the china collection too.  

Dick & Angel have quite a lovely little family there.  In the midst of all of the chaos, Dick takes the time to build a boat and have some fun with his kids.  Life doesn't get much better than that!  

• Love 6
On 3/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, ChitChat said:

I feel a little more cultured and smarter every time I watch it!

Personally, I just feel like a slacker. I could never keep up the energy level of these people.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

I watched 'grandma's cafe' or whatever last night. Angel's parents came over and they renovated a living space for them. I couldn't figure out where in the castle it was. 

It looked like Dick was getting peeved they were all up in his business. He was practically throwing them in the car so he could work. 

The living space for Angel's parents is the converted Carriage House, and according to the schedule they're showing the Carriage House conversion as "new" on tomorrow's HGTV episode.  (No, it doesn't make sense, but that's how they're showing it). 

The Carriage House required it's own septic system, separate from the chateau. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

watched 'grandma's cafe' or whatever last night. Angel's parents came over and they renovated a living space for them.

Her parents have been there for most of the time, they watch the kids, “Grandma’s cafe” was expanding their space. They already have a living area, bedroom, bathroom and a kitchenette on the far end of the carriage house, this was giving them a full kitchen and a den in the middle section. The plan is to eventually renovate the last third of the carriage house for more family guests. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Carriage House required it's own septic system, separate from the chateau. 

I wonder how long it actually took them to get the Carriage house livable -start to finish.  That was a huge project!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, NoReally said:

Personally, I just feel like a slacker. I could never keep up the energy level of these people 

For me, that's an understatement. I've wondered what my life would look like if, like them, I had endless energy and creativity, and could manage on 4 hours sleep a night. 

I wonder what people like them would do if, like me, they were confined to their small homes during Covid. Probably not watch endless reruns of TV shows. Maybe weave their own bed linens? 😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, biakbiak said:

Her parents have been there for most of the time, they watch the kids, “Grandma’s cafe” was expanding their space. They already have a living area, bedroom, bathroom and a kitchenette on the far end of the carriage house, this was giving them a full kitchen and a den in the middle section.

I just watched this episode.  I'm glad that Angel decided to have the "Grandma's Cafe" sign made.  It looked really good in there.  I'm not a fan of the 2 chairs that she left half open with the upholstery though.  That was weird.  The other 2 chairs with the floral/bee hive pattern is the same pattern of some of the items they're selling on their website.  I'm waiting on my apron with that pattern on it to get here. 

I also liked how Angel left a lot of the kitchen and her Dad's space open so that they can decorate it how they want to.  Overall they did a great job with the space.  Kudos to Dick and his helper for all of their hard work.  It can't be easy restoring a castle, especially running pipes and electrical wires in those old walls.   Damn, I'm worn out just from watching them, and seeing Angel go down all of those stairs carrying furniture!  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It looked really good in there.  I'm not a fan of the 2 chairs that she left half open with the upholstery though.  That was weird.

Especially so close to the kitchen and the door to the outside, I imagined they would trap a lot of dirt and be annoying to clean! Plus, they literally just looked poorly done and didn’t fit into the space. It actually made me wonder if she was planning on finishing them but they needed to film the reveal before she for was done so she just said that!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The look on Dick's face when Angel, and her mom said the railings were too dark, and didn't look like they belonged was amazing.     I really like the spaces for the Man Cave, and the kitchen.      I was surprised that there was nothing holding the joists into the structure.   

I think the dark railings, and the darker spindles were way too dark, so lightening the wood rail would have helped, and blended in better.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The look on Dick's face when Angel, and her mom said the railings were too dark, and didn't look like they belonged was amazing. 

I wasn't sure if she wanted Dick to lighten up the railings or to darken the beams.  Redoing the beams would've been out of the question for me!  I painted a ceiling and had to paint around some beams, and that was a bitch!  I can't imagine staining those beams because first of all, they're way up there, and second of all, making sure you don't hit the ceiling with the stain/varnish would be very difficult.  

• Love 3

I'm new to this show (wish I had caught onto it before).  I'm enjoying watching what has been a herculean chore to renovate this castle.  What's puzzling to me is the aerial view shows the castle to be situated almost on an island with three sides being water?  That must make the renovations difficult.  

As I watched last night's show creating Grandma's Cafe, I wondered why they chose to install a modern looking metal framed door and side windows instead of something that would blend in with the style and architecture of the building itself.  The metal door and windows looked so out of place to me, spoiling the beauty of the aged building.  I also didn't care for the modern kitchen itself.  I would have chosen to install something that better suited the building.  

The fabric on the reupholstered chairs was beautiful.  Angel is certainly creative in her projects.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Annifran said:

I also didn't care for the modern kitchen itself. 

Angel and her Mom were discussing what she wanted in her kitchen, and I'm thinking that her Mom wanted a more modern kitchen.   It can be kind of weird looking at an old building from the outside and then stepping inside and it's a totally different style!  I'm trying to think of what other kind of door & windows would've looked good there.  It was a pretty big opening!  I think they're trying to be very mindful of the budget, so maybe that played a role in their choice, but I understand what you're saying.   The windows and door were a bit modern for that particular structure. 

• Love 2

I'm not positive, but I think Grandma's Cafe is a commercial space to serve guests to the property. It would be a place for people visiting the chateau to buy sandwiches, cold drinks and coffee, or even simple meals. I could be wrong, but this is what I took from the description and the style of the space. I don't think Dick and Angle use the chateau's main kitchen for anything but large events and their own use. 

17 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I could be wrong, but this is what I took from the description and the style of the space.

I could be wrong too, but I thought this was for her parents personal use.  They already remodeled one section of the carriage house for them (a studio-type of apartment, I believe), and this was a proper kitchen for her Mom since the space they remodeled first didn't have a full-size kitchen.  I forgot what they said they'll use the last space in the carriage house for.  Again, I may not be remembering this correctly.  The space above the kitchen is her Dad's man cave.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm not positive, but I think Grandma's Cafe is a commercial space to serve guests to the property. It would be a place for people visiting the chateau to buy sandwiches, cold drinks and coffee, or even simple meals. I could be wrong, but this is what I took from the description and the style of the space. I don't think Dick and Angle use the chateau's main kitchen for anything but large events and their own use. 

I really don’t think that’s the case at all. They have talked about turning the whole carriage house into a space for family. The first living space of her parents on the far end has the same doors and stuff. The chateau isn’t really set up as a full service hotel and is built around weddings and events so the need for a snack isn’t something that is necessary. The kitchen isn’t set up in anyway as a commercial kitchen and has a hallway without a door into their other living  space in the back and to the left. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They have talked about turning the whole carriage house into a space for family.

Oh yeah, now I remember them saying that the last of the carriage house renovation will be for when family comes to visit.  Took a minute for my brain to engage! 😉 

They have the separate building for the wedding reception.  I missed it if they showed any renovations to it.  I'd love to take a tour of all of the out-buildings on the property.  They seem to find all kinds of neat stuff in there!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, ChitChat said:

They have the separate building for the wedding reception.  I missed it if they showed any renovations to it. 

They didn’t really show it because there wasn’t a lot to do mainly just clean up and weeding. 

• Love 3

I got the apron I ordered from The Chateau.  It's the print of their garden flowers from the potagerie room wallpaper.  It's really pretty.  The colors are muted, not too bright. There are beehives and flowers on it.  The apron is really well made.  It's a little big for me, but I think I can alter it a bit.  

• Love 7

I guess PBS and HGTV title the episodes different. PBS Cafe Grandma was HGTV Carriage House. I had missed the beginning, but this was a bad episode for Dick. Angel was already laying into him about plowing the fields from the jump. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Angel was already laying into him about plowing the fields from the jump. 

Angel apparently didn't have the same vision that Dick had of a beautiful field of wildflowers!  I probably would've had the same reaction as Angel did if I saw Mr. Chat plowing up the yard!  I'm sure it'll be nice when the project comes to fruition though. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Angel apparently didn't have the same vision that Dick had of a beautiful field of wildflowers!  I probably would've had the same reaction as Angel did if I saw Mr. Chat plowing up the yard!  I'm sure it'll be nice when the project comes to fruition though. 

There is also the precedent of him having severely trimmed the trees leading up to the Chateau and them still not being close to what they had been. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Disco Ball Dorothy, spinning in the kitchen with the sunshine. 

What more is there to life?  Then wearing a sequin jacket, dancing in a kitchen filled with sunshine, casting off sparkles.

• Love 6

What did everybody think of the giraffe legs in the Boot room?  I can see the humor in it if you know that there's a giraffe above it, but if not, it's rather creepy looking!  Other than that, Dick's idea for hanging up the boots was rather clever.  Is there anything he can't do, except for trim trees properly!  🙂  

I try to imagine what life was like back when this castle was in its heyday.  There were probably glorious parties and beautifully dressed people everywhere!  Things were probably bustling around the castle, much like it is now whenever they have a wedding there.  

• Love 5
On 3/28/2021 at 2:05 PM, ChitChat said:

What did everybody think of the giraffe legs in the Boot room?

I didn’t like them, not because I found them creepy, but because they didn’t fit with the Chateau and the area which even most of her more whimsical touches typically do. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I didn’t like them, not because I found them creepy, but because I just felt they didn’t feel it fit with the Chateau and the area which even most of her more whimsical touches typically do. 

She said that she wanted that area to still be somewhat elegant since many of the brides make their exit through there, so I thought it was an odd thing to nail up there, but then again, nothing in there said "elegant" to me!  It's a nice Boot room though! She'll probably decorate it for weddings.  I'm sure that it'll look better with some floral arrangements and such during wedding season.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

She said that she wanted that area to still be somewhat elegant since many of the brides make their exit through there, so I thought it was an odd thing to nail up there

Call me a basic bitch but I think it would work better if the head and neck of the giraffe was present in the foyer and the main body was fully (boots on the ground) in the boot room. But unlike the fox, butterflies and birds it’s just not something that fits into a French chateau.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Call me a basic bitch but I think it would work better if the head and neck of the giraffe was present in the foyer and the main body was fully (boots on the ground) in the boot room. But unlike the fox, butterflies and birds it’s just not something that fits into a French chateau.

I like that idea!  Angel does go a bit over the top with the accessorizing.  Less is more!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2