Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: It's Complicated

• Start Topic

I'm not sure that Wade had the right to be upset with Shannon for not telling him that her ex lived in the garage. This was only their first date; they're just starting to get to know each other and the night turned out not to be the way either expected.  Instead, she's now cooking dinner and running up and down to her son. And, of course, he never mentioned that he was a widower!

Also, what is it with exes living in the garage? It's a plot line that's recently been done in a sitcom with Splitting Up Together and it didn't work there. 

I continue to find Delia supremely annoying. Sending that e-mail was WAY over the line.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Also, what is it with exes living in the garage? It's a plot line that's recently been done in a sitcom with Splitting Up Together and it didn't work there. 

In this show, Shannon works at night so presumably needs her ex to watch Bert every night, maybe even go to sleep before she gets home.  If he sleeps in the garage, he's close enough in case of emergency and it's less disruptive to Bert than his Dad coming and going every day (and crashing on the couch), or Bert having to sleep at his Dad's every night.  It actually makes a lot of sense.

In Splitting Up Together, the parents didn't want the kids to have to commute back and forth between 2 homes, so the parents did the commuting the cheap way, by using the garage as a second living space and alternating.  (That garage had its own bathroom, at least,)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

I didn't have an issue with Shannon not telling him that her ex lived in the garage right away. As she pointed out, it was their first date. There's really no need to unload all of your baggage immediately. Not only did Wade not tell her that Jill had died but it seems that he hadn't even mentioned he had kids until she said that her ex hadn't shown up yet, which was when he said, "I have kids too."

Obviously you should eventually tell someone you're dating if you have kids, have been widowed, etc. but that doesn't mean you have to disclose EVERYTHING immediately in the first five minutes. A friend of mine went on a first date where the other person actually did just that (unloaded all her baggage before they'd even finished eating). While there's something to be said for being upfront, it can be A LOT to take in on the first date. It's okay to ease into getting to know each other. I mean, Wade didn't even know her last name yet so obviously they are still in the early phases.

• Love 5

Watching Grace's gradual transformation into a weeaboo is just glorious. I pray to God she will get green highlights 😛

Shannon continues to be charming. Her constant oversharing is so adorable.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I have a friend recently divorced, and she’s met a few men who are still co-habitating in some way. Garages, basements, guest rooms, whatever. (And as my friend has found out, some of those men’s wives would be surprised to hear they’re divorced or even separated.)

Karma got Delia back. Mom. 😅

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A friend of mine went on a first date where the other person actually did just that (unloaded all her baggage before they'd even finished eating).

How was the second date?

19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I continue to find Delia supremely annoying. Sending that e-mail was WAY over the line.

Almost the entire first season I thought she was Wade's sister.  I couldn't figure out why anyone would put up with her if she weren't family!  Now I have no idea why anyone is friends with her.   

• Love 3

I don't think its super ridiculous that Shannon didnt tell Wade right away that her ex lived with her, but I also get why it would be a little concerning. You might worry that she could still have something going with her ex or something, although I don't think that's where this is going. I like Shannon a lot and she and Wade seem good together. 

Oh Grace, going down that wild anime rabbit hole...

Ouch, that mom cut was deep. Delia really really needs to learn what boundaries are. 

• Love 1

Hey, don't diss Splitting Up Together! I really enjoyed that show and was sorry to see it end.

That was a big a#s phone Delia texted on! What model is that? On a costume design note, I liked her sweater with the stripes around the wrists that she was wearing when they were sitting outside.  (Did NOT like Wade's sweater that he wore on the date.)

I appreciate the going back to college story ... good for her. I can't imagine having to revisit algebra and other subjects at this point in my life.

Bot of Wade's daughters are lovey young women, but the younger sister to me is just stunning. 

• Love 3
On 11/20/2020 at 4:01 AM, Harvey said:

Watching Grace's gradual transformation into a weeaboo is just glorious. I pray to God she will get green highlights 😛

Shannon continues to be charming. Her constant oversharing is so adorable.

I'm thinking Grace will do pink or blue highlights. Seems more her style.

• Love 2