Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E10: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

However, I agree with you about Kaitlyn.  I feel nothing when she dances.  I was emotional during her contemporary pre-package so I thought that her contemporary would make me cry.  But it didn't and I usually cry easily on emotional contemporaries.  While her feet are not as bad as Chrishell who was pigeon toed and had lazy feet, I also expect somebody that has as much ballet training as she supposedly had to have amazing feet. 

Let me say that I don't have anything against Kaitlyn as a person. She just seems very cookie-cutter. I've never been into the Bachelor so I don't know all the drama. But I can't stop thinking about Chrishell, who is an actress and also a reality star, but was talking about her poor upbringing and that she smelled bad in school. That broke my heart and even if she couldn't dance, at least there's an emotional connection to her. Kaitlyn doesn't have that effect. Same thing with Nelly and his sister, Justina and her family and Johnny and his mom (heck, AJ and his backstory as well). That's what makes me root for somebody like Nelly who may not be the best dancer, but has heart. 

• Love 9

I'm not normally one to get all petty, but Nev deleting politically antagonising social media posts in order to avoid losing votes is very funny. He really is absolutely desperate to win this thing more than any of the others put together. If him and Nelly are the last two standing and Nelly gets called the winner, I want a camera trained permanently on Nev's face so I can see his reaction. Things don't normally go my way though, so I'm sure Nev will win and I'll have to endure that smug cheesy grin forever more!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 11/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, madpsych78 said:

Nelly clearly has a fan base, and I'm really surprised that Johnny does not to the same degree. Especially since they are both paired with the rookie pros this season. 

It doesnt surprise me he has more viewer support/name recognition because Nelly has sold millions and millions of records worldwide. Johnny has skated professionally for millions to watch for free. Not the same kind of fanbase breadth or depth. I don't think Nelly's fanbase from his heyday watch this show but there's probably a sizeable number of women who were casual fans who do (like myself).

4 hours ago, Emily-D said:

I'm not normally one to get all petty, but Nev deleting politically antagonising social media posts in order to avoid losing votes is very funny. He really is absolutely desperate to win this thing more than any of the others put together. If him and Nelly are the last two standing and Nelly gets called the winner, I want a camera trained permanently on Nev's face so I can see his reaction. Things don't normally go my way though, so I'm sure Nev will win and I'll have to endure that smug cheesy grin forever more!

I'm right there with ya. He also comes across so phony and pandering--even for this show.  When Derek (or was it Bruno?) opened his critique with, "You've done this before, haven't you?" Nev was at a loss for words and just plastered on his huge phony annoying grin. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, JenLily said:

I think what bothers me the most about the comparisons to Bobby Bones is Nelly doesn't seem to have an inflated sense of his dancing ability. He doesn't disrespect his partner by making up dance moves or messing with her choreography. He's not out there acting like he's better than his competitors or riling up his fan base or complaining about the judges and their scores. He's trying his best and showing some improvement and just all around being nice. Do I think he should win based on improvement or niceness? No, of course not. But likening him to Bobby Bones is unfair. If anything, I see more similarity with Bill Engvall's arc: okay dancer but nice guy who went further than he should have. Pardon my language, but Bobby Bones was a douche who's shitty personality came nowhere close to making up for his mediocre dancing ability. I can understand why Bill and Nelly got to where they were/are in the competition. I'll never understand how Bobby managed to win. (I mean, I understand it, I get how phone and internet voting work. I just don't understand, if you know what I mean.)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Justina pulls off a win. She's my favorite. Kaitlyn has zero personality or life on the dance floor and Nev just kind of bothers me. His enthusiasm seems a bit disingenuous to me although I can't put my finger on why that is. I enjoy watching Justina dance and I can't say that about the other two. Hell, I enjoy watching Nelly dance more than I do Kaitlyn or Nev.

I agree with what you said.  I always compared Nelly more to Bill Engvall or David Ross.  I mostly didn't like when Bones won because of his personality.  I even forgot the part where he dissed other contestants on social media.

While Nelly is not on the same level as the other finalists, I will even say that I think he's better than Bill or David.  I'm not going back to those contestants' dances because they're not that great.  But I don't remember them having musicality and a smooth natural groove that Nelly has.  Nelly's samba and jive probably looked better than what they did.

Nev always rubbed me the wrong way.  I didn't like that he was never totally honest about his training.  Then this week, I had to google what he did because of this forum.  The sexual allegations was a he said/she said situation but he admitted to punching a woman in the face.  That is just wrong. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, JenLily said:

But likening him to Bobby Bones is unfair.

Likening ANYONE to the "Fixer," Bobby Bones is unfair.  The executives who thought Bobby Bones was a good idea are probably the same ones who hired Tyra.   Business people should not be making the decisions for creative endeavors.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, anonymiss said:

I'm right there with ya. He also comes across so phony and pandering--even for this show.

And isn't it sad?  He has probably been that way all his life...and for what reasons?  He's good-looking, talented, smart... probably had the best education and a comfortable $$$ life.  Yet...there it is a BIG flaw in personality that he just can't overcome.  SAD.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Emily-D said:

What did he delete? Inquiring minds want to know lol.

4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

What did he delete? Inquiring minds want to know lol.

How convenient that a man who apparently marched for BLM would just happen to post this on the very week days before he needs viewer votes to win a reality show whose viewership skews hugely conservative. 

Edited by Emily-D
  • Useful 1

The winner should be Nev. He may have had dance training 20 years ago but he is a gifted natural dancer. There is just no getting away from it, no matter if you think he's spoiled. 

I was hooked on his Paso Doble. He had great lines. Maybe the first celeb who even HAD lines!

His contamporary was flawless. It is always a showcase for the girl, the lifts. 

• Love 1

Just watched a "Q&A" with Johnny and Britt on their insta-stories. Johnny said his pick among the finalists was Nelly - and he dropped in some shade about not supporting those with professional dance training and experience.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Just watched a "Q&A" with Johnny and Britt on their insta-stories. Johnny said his pick among the finalists was Nelly - and he dropped in some shade about not supporting those with professional dance training and experience.

I like Johnny, but this sounds a lot like sour grapes coming from a professional skater.  Yes, it's a different skill set than ballroom dance, but at the very least he probably has the most experience with learning/executing choreography.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Morrigan said:

1 hour ago, leocadia said:

I like Johnny, but this sounds a lot like sour grapes coming from a professional skater.  Yes, it's a different skill set than ballroom dance, but at the very least he probably has the most experience with learning/executing choreography.

I agree. I have always liked Johnny and think Nelly deserved to go, but he also had an advantage with his background and it's ridiculous to say otherwise. Throwing shade and complaining it's a popularity contest is just not a good look. Of course it's a popularity contest! I think the show has done what they can to mitigate that by having the judges decide who goes home, but they can only control it so far. If the votes aren't there, the votes aren't there........

• Love 1
On 11/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, TiredMe said:

Here we go with Nelly Bobby Bonesing this competition. What a shame when he wins.

I adore Artem and would like to see him win but I would also like to see Justina win. doesn’t look good though with today’s votes. 

I Do NOT Think This Is The Same ! I Think Nellie Dances Better Than Bobby Bones ! I Have NOT Seen The Finale, But I Just Don't Think Nellie Will Take A Few Steps And Then Jump Up And Down Like Bobby Bones Did ! Also, Bobby Bones Was On American Idol Which Is An ABC Show And Nellie Is NOT On An ABC Show !

On 11/16/2020 at 10:34 PM, nickp1991 said:

This show is NOT called The Tyra Banks Show It is DWTS! Tyra Banks attempts to be the star not a host Tyra focuses more on showing off herself & her riduculous over the top outfits than focusing on the dancers

I DID Think That Was Idiotic That Tyra Wore That Gown AND HAT When She Came Out ! This IS Dancing With The Stars ! This Is NOT The Next Top Model OR What Ever Show She Was On ! Tyra, Do You See Heidi Klum Wear Those Kind Of Out Fits On America's Got Talent ?  Heidi IS A Judge And NOT The Host, But STILL Heidi Does Not Do That ! Even Erin Does Not Do that Even IF She Was Not A Model ! She Was A Co Host ! Even Tom DID NOT Wear A Tuxedo !

On 11/16/2020 at 10:37 PM, lisette said:

Whoever thought Tyra Banks was a good choice for host???? I can't stand her and her overly dramatic way of saying things. She about ruins the show for me. Get rid of her please....

There Probably ARE Other Black Women That They Could Get ! I Read In TV Guide That Tom Is NOT Interested In Returning Unfortunately !