Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Group B Finals - The Mask Chance Saloon

• Start Topic

I’m thinking Crocodile is Nick Carter; a couple of weeks ago I heard it in his voice and tonight’s clue... he and the Backstreet Boys sang in heaven at the end of the cult classic, “This Is The End.” I was hoping he’d go tonight so I could see if I was right. 

I never would have guessed Dr. Elvis and thought he performed better than Crocodile, but maybe he had to get back to his real job / saving lives. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, UMAngela said:

I’m thinking Crocodile is Nick Carter; a couple of weeks ago I heard it in his voice and tonight’s clue... he and the Backstreet Boys sang in heaven at the end of the cult classic, “This Is The End.” I was hoping he’d go tonight so I could see if I was right. 

I never would have guessed Dr. Elvis and thought he performed better than Crocodile, but maybe he had to get back to his real job / saving lives. 

Nick was also in Edward Scissorhands, The other clue in there was the Around the world thing and it was the 100 hour tour the backstreet boys did for the black and blue album release and they really did visit 6 continents . If Nick is not the Crocodile I will never listen to another Bsb song again and told this to my family. Since I am a huge BSB fan lol...  He also is a huge gamer and started a twitch channel ....

Edited by tvwatcher85
7 minutes ago, tvwatcher85 said:

The other clue in there was the Around the world thing and it was the 100 hour tour the backstreet boys did for the black and blue album release and they really did visit 6 continents

Maybe it really is a coincidence, but the Around The World event happened 20 years ago THIS WEEK and the band is covering that all over their social media.  I feel so old.  I'm struggling to guess the mystery friend though.   I'm thinking it's radio DJ Jojo Wright.

Any basketball player being mentioned outside of Carmelo Anthony had me saying "WHO?!" so Lonzo Ball was a big shrug for me.  The only thing I know about him is how Kenan Thompson plays his father on SNL. 

• Love 2

Yeah I definitely heard some of the Nick Carter tone tonight in Crocodile. He does this slightly nasally/whiney thing sometimes (and I love Nick so I mean that in the best way possible, I just don't know how else to explain it), and I caught that at a few spots tonight.

But I was still totally surprised Serpent went before Crocodile.

• Love 4

I don't remember any of these people, I don't know if I just found them all forgettable, or I somehow missed an episode, but when the seahorse came out I thought there was an entirely new group tonight.

14 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Yeah I definitely heard some of the Nick Carter tone tonight in Crocodile. He does this slightly nasally/whiney thing sometimes (and I love Nick so I mean that in the best way possible, I just don't know how else to explain it), and I caught that at a few spots tonight.

But I was still totally surprised Serpent went before Crocodile.

My hubby about came unglued when Serpent was eliminated over Croc. But if Dr Elvis needed to go back to his real job, that's totally understandable, but if it was solely due to votes...aww, hell, naw.

Anyone else think it's a sign of the apocalypse with Ken getting one correct tonight?

I missed the Singing Surgeon's moment of internet fame, so that was a big "huh?" for me.

There was no real reason to do a double elimination for the first time, right? I'm guessing it had to do with contestants' availability. No other reason to have one fewer episode than usual.

• Love 2

I am guessing they did the double elimination to keep numbers down. I like the idea of Nick Carter as Crocodile, although honestly I was kind of thinking Jared Leto. I don't know how I feel about Ken and I being on the same page...

Is it so much to ask for Crocodile to sing Crocodile Rock just once before they go? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

From Wikipedia  

The season contains 16 contestants,[4] including the first duet costume with their own vehicle (Snow Owls)[10], the first to have animatronic parts (Serpent), and the first puppet costume (Baby Alien). The contestants of this season are said to have a combined net worth over $398 million, 46 Grammy nominations, 23 platinum records, 10 Hall of Fame appearances, one Olympic gold medalist, collectively sold over 281 million records, appeared in over 5,475 episodes of television and 151 films, five Super Bowl appearances, four stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, three world records, one Time 100 honor, and one Oscar nominee in a major category.[

So, who of these are left and who are they ?

14 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

The contestants of this season are said to have a combined net worth over $398 million, 46 Grammy nominations, 23 platinum records, 10 Hall of Fame appearances, one Olympic gold medalist, collectively sold over 281 million records, appeared in over 5,475 episodes of television and 151 films, five Super Bowl appearances, four stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, three world records, one Time 100 honor, and one Oscar nominee in a major category.

So far, we have accounted for:

25 Grammy nominations (Busta Rhymes has 12, Bob Saget 1, Lisa Hartman Black 1, Clint Black 11)

4 Super Bowl appearances (I think Fox is playing fast and loose with this one: Busta, Mark Sanchez, and Bob Saget were all in commercials played during Super Bowls; Clint Black was part of the 1994 Halftime show)

2 Hollywood Walk of Fame Stars (Wendy Williams and Clint Black)

1 World Record (Busta held the record for most syllables said in one second)

1 Oscar nominee (Mickey Rourke)

The other things with larger numbers are too hard to figure out. Like I tried to figure out the platinum records, but without knowing how Fox is counting (like if an album goes multi-platinum, does each time count? And is Fox using "record" the way the Grammys uses "record," to mean "single," or does "record" mean "album"? And  does it count if a record goes platinum in another country, or are they only counting platinum in the US?), it's way too hard to figure out.

We haven't seen the Olympic gold medalist or the Time 100 person yet.

Of the names that I know have been thrown out there for the remaining contestants:

Spoiler

Billy Porter (mushroom?) was on the Time 100 this year. 

Tori Kelly (seahorse?) has 3 Grammy nominations.

Nick Carter (crocodile?), as part of Backstreet Boys, has 8 Grammy nominations, performed the national anthem at the 2017 Super Bowl, has a star on the Walk of Fame, and they hold TWO world records: best-selling album of all time by a boy and, and (this is really weird) the world record for most nationalities of people in a jacuzzi at one time.

Leann Rimes (sun?) has 7 Grammy nominations.

Cyndi Lauper (popcorn...?) has 16 Grammy nominations and a star on the Walk of Fame.

Taylor Dayne (popcorn...?) has 2 Grammy nominations.

I figured Cyndi Lauper had to be the fourth WoF star, but if Nick Carter is the Crocodile, Cyndi can't be Popcorn, based solely on the Grammy noms. We have 25 Grammys from the people they've unmasked already, 8 for BSB comes to 33, so just adding Cyndi's 16 takes it to 49. 

But if Taylor Dayne is Popcorn, then BSB Grammys adds up to 33, Dayne to 35, Leann Rimes to 42, and Tori Kelly to 45!

That means Brocolli or Jellyfish account for the remaining star on the WoF, the Grammy nom, and the Olympic gold medal. There are no living Olympic gold medalists with a star on the WoF. WoF stars with Grammy noms is too hard to cross-reference. But, interestingly enough, there is an Olympic gold medalist who has been nominated for a Grammy: Oscar de la Hoya! People thought he was White Tiger last season, but has his name come up this season? I have no recollection of what Broccoli or Jellyfish sound like, so I have no idea if either could be him.

I spent WAY too much time researching all of this today. I figured the movie and TV things would be easy, thanks to IMDB, but...NOPE!

However, here are two Mickey Rourke "fun facts:" 1) Rourke turned down a star on the WoF because they wouldn't allow him to put his dead dog's name on the star, too; 2) Of the 151 film appearances for this season's cast, 74 of those appearances are Rourke's!

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 8:32 PM, mtlchick said:

Maybe it really is a coincidence, but the Around The World event happened 20 years ago THIS WEEK and the band is covering that all over their social media.  I feel so old.  I'm struggling to guess the mystery friend though.   I'm thinking it's radio DJ Jojo Wright.

Any basketball player being mentioned outside of Carmelo Anthony had me saying "WHO?!" so Lonzo Ball was a big shrug for me.  The only thing I know about him is how Kenan Thompson plays his father on SNL. 

The thing that made me think basketball player was the earlier clue with him surrounded by dimes, so I thought it would be someone well known for their assists.  So I had to laugh when Nicole guessed Carmelo, who never gets an assist that wasn't accidental.

Spoiler

That means Brocolli or Jellyfish account for the remaining star on the WoF, the Grammy nom, and the Olympic gold medal. There are no living Olympic gold medalists with a star on the WoF. WoF stars with Grammy noms is too hard to cross-reference. But, interestingly enough, there is an Olympic gold medalist who has been nominated for a Grammy: Oscar de la Hoya! People thought he was White Tiger last season, but has his name come up this season? I have no recollection of what Broccoli or Jellyfish sound like, so I have no idea if either could be him.

I can solve for the last Grammy Nom and WoF.

Spoiler

Paula Anka has a star and only has one Grammy nomination in his career for co-writing Johnny's Theme with Johnny Carson. 

• Love 2