Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E29: US Presidential Election

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, do not speculate.  Watch, then post.  Or we will send you to a whale sperm void without John Oliver or a camera. 

• Start Topic

Ollie describing last week as the sassiest of the Judiciary made me laugh so hard, but not as hard as him sending the Eratica to the fraud website.

There should also be 30 seconds of octopus facts every episode going forward. I enjoyed learning that they party on ecstasy.

My favorite part was the Ode to Stacey Abrams and the work she's done. Thank you for that Ollie.

• Love 11

Oh, my god, the "dumps" bit. I'm dying XD.

I also loved, "I would love to make fun of that, but...I have no time for losers." and him calling Ingraham a "Get Out garden party guest" :p. 

Ah, I was looking so forward to this episode, and it summarized the crazy rollecoaster that was this week quite nicely. I love how Trump and his supporters keep saying, "The media doesn't decide elections!" But apparently Trump can declare that over Twitter, or in some speech in the middle of the night, and that's okay. To say nothing of how Trump kept insisting that we needed to know the results on election night itself, which, again, to quote John, is not how it works. 

And yes, the "count the vote"/"stop the vote" contradictions were amusing to watch. Especially since, in some of the areas where they were yelling to stop the votes, Biden was ahead, so if they'd stopped right then and there, well... I do very much love how judges just had absolutely no chill regarding the lawsuits, though :D. One thing this week has shown: judges do not like people wasting their time. 

Regarding Giuliani, I would've loved to see John's comments on the hilarity that was the Four Seasons landscaping story, but depending on when he tapes his show, he probably didn't hear about that until later. Maybe next week, then :p. 

I do also agree with John's points about the things we need to keep in mind going forward, in terms of the kind of support Trump got and whatever effects may come from it, and the lessons we need to learn from the turnout in this election, and things of that sort. And yes, please, let's keep Stacey Abrams on our radar in general, because she's amazing and her efforts could do wonders for people in the future in general. 

But for now, I did very much enjoy John running down the list of people who will be leaving soon, and I smiled at the "We Got Him!" bit at the end of the opening credits. And I love the images of people celebrating, too. And there is something quite poetic about the voter fraud hotline being in the same state where the rat artwork came from :D. Hehe. There is a lot to be happy about, for sure.

Also, we learned about octopuses! So that was fun :p. 

• Love 13

Hopefully Stacey Abrams good work will do its magic during the run-off in Georgia, too.

Otherwise, yeah, I really enjoy this finale of "Big Brother: White House Edition" too. Can't wait to see the back of all those people. And I can't wait for a world in which Donald Trumps last Tweet is no longer the first news of the day.

Granted, there was little in this show which had the "really? I didn't know that this Batshit crazy thing is happening in the US" effect, but for once I don't mind that he didn't dug deeper. Sometimes one just has to celebrate.

• Love 6

I am not sure if Barr and Pompeo will automatically be gone. And Barr is a big questionmark anyway, because he has been suspiciously silent since his Corona Infection was announced. Maybe not the best time to make jokes about him….

• Useful 3

Well, outnumbering was the only way to defeat him for not gaining another 4 years. By 4,000,000, that is. Say what you want, but we didn’t it give up. True, the outcome was not the best outcome we had for, but I think we had no chance to turn it all back. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2

Another great one. I couldn't wait for it. I knew John would be excited and he is. Love him suggesting to sent Eratica to the website. He picked all of things I hoped he's talk about (except for the Four Season landscaping hopefully he'll mention it next time). The stupid lawsuits. In one state Stop the Count and another Counting. John pointing out that the latter was exactly what they were doing. Mentioning the hard work people did getting out there including Stacey Abrams. Also pointing out what we'll still have to deal with. Also what he'd like on his t-shirt, of course he would.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Okay...what four season landscaping??? did I miss something?

Apparently Giuliani and other members of Trump's team held a press conference yesterday at a Four Seasons. Not the hotel chain, but rather, for some inexplicable reason, a landscaping business. Seriously. It's such a bizarre, hilarious story:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/the-other-four-seasons-trump-team-holds-press-conference-at-suburban-garden-centre

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Huh. John didn’t run over the allotted time.

John is John in this episode . . . he’s happy,  but he knows there’s still an uphill climb to sanity. Hinting that he loves him some octopuses (shouldn’t that be octopi?) didn’t help. Neither did having a hamster in a thong Speedo on his phone’s screen. Also: grown adults talking about dumps, and that IS funny in hindsight.

I saw that one bearded guy on The Daily Show. You know, the guy yelling about “the Biden crime family.” So much cringe in this episode, though that was offset by the celebrations.

I was expecting a nod to Alex Trebek in the credits. Bigger pity: John didn’t get to unfurl the “WE GOT HIM!” banner in front of a studio audience.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Huh. John didn’t run over the allotted time.

John is John in this episode . . . he’s happy,  but he knows there’s still an uphill climb to sanity. Hinting that he loves him some octopuses (shouldn’t that be octopi?) didn’t help. Neither did having a hamster in a thong on his phone’s screen. Also: grown adults talking about dumps, and that IS funny in hindsight.

I saw that one bearded guy on The Daily Show. You know, the guy yelling about “the Biden crime family.” So much cringe in this episode, though that was offset by the celebrations.

I was expecting a nod to Alex Trebek in the credits. Bigger pity: John didn’t get to unfurl the “WE GOT HIM!” banner in front of a studio audience.

I think he does it on Saturday.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I think he does it on Saturday.

I know he does. I just figured that he would wind up needing more than thirty minutes. He got everything within that time, and had enough time for an “And Now, This.”

3 hours ago, paigow said:

Suburban Philadelphia still has an Adult Video Store??? Did Verizon not upgrade the neighbourhood from Dial-Up Internet???

Wanna bet Frank Reynolds has a financial stake in that?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

was expecting a nod to Alex Trebek in the credits. Bigger pity: John didn’t get to unfurl the “WE GOT HIM!” banner in front of a studio audience.

Briefly saw the We Got Him in the opening slot, but I figured the Saturday filming probably was the cause of no Trebek.  Probably next week, hopefully an "And Now..." segment.

Agree with everyone, felt so good to watch.  I'm with John on the process of having so much to do and wondering what happens now but its just SO RELIEVING!

I'm glad Stacey Abrams and the Clark County registrar got their moments.  Heroes.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I'm glad Stacey Abrams and the Clark County registrar got their moments.  Heroes.

Your comment about the Clark County registrar reminded me of this tweet someone shared from last week:

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2020 at 6:59 AM, Annber03 said:

Apparently Giuliani and other members of Trump's team held a press conference yesterday at a Four Seasons. Not the hotel chain, but rather, for some inexplicable reason, a landscaping business. Seriously. It's such a bizarre, hilarious story:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/the-other-four-seasons-trump-team-holds-press-conference-at-suburban-garden-centre

The short version being "Rudy Guiliani is incompetent, and likely drunk at the time he looked up the phone number for and dialed 'Four Seasons, Philadelphia' ". 

• LOL 5
On 11/8/2020 at 8:30 PM, scarynikki12 said:

There should also be 30 seconds of octopus facts every episode going forward. I enjoyed learning that they party on ecstasy.

i actually didn't hear anything he said because i was enjoying watching the celebrations.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, Annber03 said:

... and him calling Ingraham a "Get Out garden party guest" :p. 

oh, thank you. i missed what he'd said. perfect.

• Love 4
On 11/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, swanpride said:

I am not sure if Barr and Pompeo will automatically be gone. And Barr is a big questionmark anyway, because he has been suspiciously silent since his Corona Infection was announced. Maybe not the best time to make jokes about him….

When was Barr announced to have coronavirus?  I never heard that and can't find a source; however I suspected all along once he went silent.

Edited by MaryPatShelby