Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: The Double Date

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Oh no Gabrielle is a scientist and hitting it off with Robert. This is more awkward then when I thought she was a spy. The fact that this "date" was supposed to be a mission was totally a Classic Archer move. As was unwittingly leaving Cyril with the huge bill (which was Robert's fault) without his wallet. That batting cage beat down was a long time coming.

This whole episode was delightfully awkward. Robert turned out to be a creep and a weirdo, as we all saw coming. Of course he'd get along with Malory.

Pam is EVERYONE'S best friend, while Cheryl is still crazy Cheryl and/or Carol. Bless them all. So did Pam get all those felonies before or after all the crazy adventures she's had with the gang?

• Love 3

Cheryl and her breasts have Cyril’s back. (Phrasing?)

Pam , even with a shit ton of felonies, really is the heart and soul of the team.  I liked that she told Cyril that she (and probably Cheryl and Krieger as well who are both Certifiable)  didn’t have too many options other then the agency so having him around when Archer was in a coma was a good thing.  And yeah the batting cage beat down was a long time coming.   I could have done without the balls to the balls though.

of course Lana’s husband has more in common with Mallory then Lana.   That is pure this show.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Poor Lana. Yes, I know that she's every bit as flawed as her colleagues. I realize she's the Michael Bluth of the series, in the sense that I used to think that she was the most "together" person there, but then I realized she might be the most neurotic. But having to deal with Archer and Malory AND seeing her husband hit it off tremendously with two other women, one of whom was Malory? I feel for her.

It's a fucked-up situation when Archer is being an ass, and then you realize that he's basically the warning sign near the lake with the thin ice. Robert might not have been the best match for Lana. Putting aside the age gap, you'd think that he would've told Lana about the ex-wives.

Cyril still exists as a butt monkey. The guy stiffs a bathroom attendant, but then takes out a bodyguard ahead of his mission parameters . . . and it still goes wrong for him. Luckily, he has Pam's shoulder to cry on. And probably her hands to attend to his twice-stricken testicles.

Another plus for Cyril: the inappropriate insanity of Cheryl. She probably;y could have bailed him out with money, but accusing one of the waitstaff of groping her is so "her." Even if her going to her purse would've led to humiliating choke-sex for Cyril, she made the right choice.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Luckily, he has Pam's shoulder to cry on. And probably her hands to attend to his twice-stricken testicles.

It's very telling that the first person Cyril calls is PAM. Not Malory, not Archer, someone who took his jacket. Pam.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
On 10/14/2020 at 11:25 PM, Galileo908 said:

It's very telling that the first person Cyril calls is PAM. Not Malory, not Archer, someone who took his jacket. Pam.

I think that was more about both Archers being horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE people. Or at least they're horrible to Cyril in particular.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

So I'm guessing Lana/Robert was a serious rebound on her part. They've been married two years and she's never heard about how many times he's been married? Plus he's coming near Archer's level of creepy and gross but without the good looks. Really hope she didn't sign a pre-nup, because I'm guessing Robert will be in bed with Malory before too long.

(I've been thinking about them not mentioning Ron and in the honestly I'm okay with that. My heart goes out to Jessica Walter, she and Ron Leibman were married for over 35 years. I'm okay with the show not bringing him up for at least another season, give as much time needed if it'll make it less fresh and painful.)

• Love 3

If Lana is annoyed that Archer asked a women out who looks like her and arranged a double date just to rub it in her face, she is going to lose it if her husband leaves her for Mallory. That turned awkward super fast, and Robert is turning out to be a real creep, which isn't all that surprising. Robert is clearly a poorly thought out rebound, Archer and Lana always end up going back to each other. 

The Pam and Cyril ending was actually quite sweet, Pam really is the heart of the team. Cyril really needed that rant, so hopefully he can get back into the swing of it...once he gets some ice for his balls. 

"Why dont we give a lane to the vegetarians?" 

On 10/15/2020 at 3:26 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Plus he's coming near Archer's level of creepy and gross but without the good looks.

They actually designed the character to look like Stephen Tobolowsky, which I find amusing. The character that Jamie Lee Curtis played earlier in the season looked like her as well, to the point where when I first saw the character (even before she spoke) I wondered why she looked exactly like JLC. 

• Love 1

Aw, Robert has a habit of fetishizing women of color. Poor Lana.

And it just gets worse. Robert is quite the racist d-bag. How did Lana have no clue?

Bet Lana never counted on possibly losing her husband to Mallory. Hope she didn't sign a prenup!

So, anyone liking the speculation out and about that Robert is Archer's father? That would make Lana his stepmother and his daughter AJ also his step-sibling. Messy!

I am confused as to why people would speculate that Robert is Archer's father. Wouldn't Mallory have recognized Robert? I know that his father is a mystery, but did I miss the memo that it was a mystery to Mallory too?

Robert is not Archer’s father.    It’s more likely that he and Mallory had far more in common then Robert and  Lana ever did.    It is possible to ignore warning signs especially when you marry someone pretty quickly which it looks like Lana did with Robert and she does work alot.   So I can hand wave her just ignoring the red flags in Robert’s personality.    Sometimes you do need someone to point them out to you....and this episode was all about gleefully pointing out the cracks in Lana and Robert’s perfect marriage.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am confused as to why people would speculate that Robert is Archer's father. Wouldn't Mallory have recognized Robert? I know that his father is a mystery, but did I miss the memo that it was a mystery to Mallory too?

That theory doesn't make sense with the given backstory . . . .but it would be so hilarious.

Think about it: if Robert is Archer's dad, that would mean -- obviously -- that he had sex with Malory. And he probably did that with Lana. How would Archer react? Fainting? Puking? Dry-heaving? Also, that would mean that Lana is Sterling's stepmother. That would be so wrong, et so funny.

Lana on paper is the most put together of the group but she is also incredibly self centered:   She dated Cyril for like six months and knew nothing about him.   She was genuinely shocked when he brought up that he was a lawyer at one point and he was hurt that she didn’t remember that he told her....apparently several times.    

This has been bugging me since the episode aired, and since FX put a clip up of it I thought I'd bring it up. So this is how Lana describes Archer getting into a coma:

"Well, you got shot by a murder suspect you were supposed to be investigating, but instead were having sex with, who, by the way, after shooting you, GOT AWAY."

So...are we rewriting history or just not calling out Lana on what she says at all (kind of like how she never got any real shit for stealing Archer's sperm)? For one thing, Archer was sleeping with someone he was body-guarding, he did not have sex with her after she committed murder or was even considered a suspect for anything happening on the movie lot. He was shot while eliciting a confession from Veronica to clear Lana's name, and as for her getting away? He was face-down in a pool at the time, that's just victim-blaming. And how the new-better-Archerless agency didn't manage to track her down is beyond me. Malory was with Archer for most of his coma or I would have expected her to find and murder Veronica Deane, but the fact that Archer's friends couldn't catch a runaway movie star (with no secret ties to the KGB that we know if) makes me think they didn't really try.

• Love 1