Type keyword(s) to search

"Pennsatucky" Doggett: Yee-haw Hallelujah!

• Start Topic

Interestingly enough, the Pennsatucky character in the book ends up being one of Piper's closer friends in prison.  But the book character is very different--she's similarly a redneck but I don't remember religion being a part of her character at all, so the main source of contention on the show between the two characters wasn't a factor in real life.  But the fact that they get along in the book makes me wonder if they'll reach some sort of rapprochement on the show post beat down.

Not that I think she's redeemable in any way, shape or form, but I think Pennsatucky is one of the most complex and fascinating characters on the whole show. I have known and been around so many people that if they're not like her already, they're on their way to becoming her. She's kind of a tragic portrayal of what poverty, drug addiction, and (most likely) severe family broken-ness can do to a person. Add in the confusion of living a lie to cover up for her actions until it's seeped into her very brain as the truth, plus the delusions of an over-inflated ego to make up for one that probably died a long time ago, and you got yourself a cluster of sad, sad, dangerous issues.

And on a lighter note...I also can't wait to see if her teeth will get a little TLC after gettin' a few knocked out of her head xD

Oh yeah, I actually don't think she's that over the top.  The book character was from rural PA, hence the name.  But the show character has stated she's from Waynesboro, which is in Virginia [about 20 minutes from me], and I'm here to tell ya, I've encountered similar gems on the co-rec softball field.  I find her grating, but it's not because I find her to be unrealistic.  I also can't overstate the kick I get that she's from there.  Someone did their homework.  There's a lot of meth and hillbilly heroin in those parts of Appalachia.  

I'm from around there too, kind of (Erie, PA which isn't exactly in that region, but not too far from it and currently dealing with a sudden rash of heroin overdoses). Maybe that explains the unsettling deja vu. I agree on giving props to the writers, the character backstories are strickingly on point. Can't wait for next season.

No, it's the Waynesboro, VA, though.  Because she said the character's from rural Virginia in an interview and she gets her abortion in Fredericksburg.

ETA: Which, that part didn't really make sense, because you'd probably come to Charlottesville for an abortion if you lived in Waynesboro, but I think they wanted a more rednecky feel, which Cville most definitely does not have.  Thank you very much.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

I have this sneaky feeling the new teeth will not be exactly the teeth Pennsatucky was hoping for. I just think Kohan will want to stretch out the animosity Pennsatucky has for Piper longer than S1. Further, the small spoiler that was released a while back had Taryn in LA being fitten for new teeth. If the teeth were going to be normal looking teeth, they would have used Taryn's own teeth. The only reason they would be fitting Taryn for "new teeth" is if those teeth are some how off looking.

It would be logical that after the beat down, Pennastucky gets her new teeth (what she really wanted in prison) and would have to accept she lost , the feud ends. The Piper/Pennsaducky arc is to delicious to now have Pennsatucky warm to Piper. I think the teeth will be too big, not fit properly and make her look deformed. The teeth, rather than being the thing Pennsatucky wanted becomes the reason she hates Piper even more.  I don't believe Kohan will give Pennsatucky a personality transplant and turn her into  a puppy that follows Piper around to do her bidding, but I have been wrong before.

I actually moved to Waynesboro, PA because it is super cheap, and I am going to grad school (which is located about 30 minutes away). AANYWHO! I was re-watching O.I.T.N.B. and about crapped my pants when she said she was from Waynesboro. It totally convinced me that my plan to move once the lease is up is a good one! One year in the land of Pennsatucky has been quite enough! 

(edited)

Of the two, I'm kind of surprised they picked Waynesboro, VA give that the PA town is much smaller, more rural, and actually in Appalachia.  Waynesboro, VA is close to Staunton and Charlottesville and more in central than western Virginia.  My husband is from the last county in Virginia before you hit Tennessee and Kentucky, and the cultural difference between there and the Waynesboro area is substantial.  Waynesboro, VA is more Southern than Appalachain.  I could totally see Tiffany being a high-school classmate of my husband's. 

Between that and the statement that she had her abortions in Fredericksburg (2 hours away) instead of Charlottesville (30 minutes away and with signficant medical resources), it honestly sounds like either whomever came up with Pennsatucky's backstory didn't bother to do any sort of research on Virginia at all or Taryn Manning doesn't know from what state her character is actually supposed to be.

I also kind of wonder what Tiffany was charged with that puts her in a federal prison instead of the state system.  I would expect a woman who murdered in Fredericksburg to be in Fluvannah Correctional Center for Women.

Edited by Lurky McLurkerson

I enjoyed reduced Pennsatucky this season - she annoyed the crap out of me last season when the storyline started to center on her. But I liked her around for the amount that she was this time around - she gets some good one liners and her "gay agenda" conversation with Boo was the best. Even her and Healy together was kind of fun, in a slightly sad way. 

• Love 4

Did anyone get the feeling that they didn't quite know what to do with Pennsatucky in season two? She was kinda just there, barely of any importance and almost an entirely different character. I mean, it makes sense that the events of the finale would have an effect on her as a character, but I think she took too much of a turn and was barely recognizable anymore.

On the one hand, I do agree that she changed quite a bit, but I got the feeling that it could have been due to her loss of validation and support. Angie and Leanne pretty much turned away from her and the other White inmates did not care for her either...or the rest of the inmates for that matter. Healy was sort of there for her, being a counselor and all, so she started to cling to him. And when Boo sort of opened up to her, even sarcastically, Pennsatucky kind of jumped on that.

(edited)
I also kind of wonder what Tiffany was charged with that puts her in a federal prison instead of the state system.  I would expect a woman who murdered in Fredericksburg to be in Fluvannah Correctional Center for Women.

Could be any number of drug charges added on to the shooting?

Sometimes people from the outlying counties play in our Charlottesville city softball league, and we've definitely encountered one or two Tiffanys along the way.  That mouthy rednecky type?  I know some people thought she was OTT in season one, but I thought she fucking nailed it.  I've definitely played against that white trash girl who talks shit the entire game.  

I was kind of surprised Tiffany didn't figure more prominently this season, because they announced Taryn's season 3 contract so early last year it seemed to be portending a bigger role.  But she seemed to have a reduced role, actually, even if she appeared in more episodes. I almost felt like Leanne and the other one got more screentime?

Pensatucky is in the federal pen because the federal government has jurisdiction over crimes committed in abortion clinics. It falls under the "Freedom Access to Clinic Entrances Act."

• Useful 1

I see a few comments on here ragging out Waynesboro, Va. Saying that there's a bunch of rednecks who live there and for someone who's lived in Waynesboro for 49 years I have to say we ain't all fancy like your city folk but and try hard to keep our rednecks contained at our local Walmart whenever possible. LOL. Anways... W'boro is located in Augusta Co. Which is on the western side of Va. We're approximately 40 minutes from Charlottesville, Va. and about 1-1/2 hours from Fredericksburg, Va. But if you go back and watch the episode where she had the abortion and shot the nurse on the clinic building it said Fishersville, Va. Fishersville, Va. is approximately 6 miles from Waynesboro, Va. And while our Hospital and 90% of our medical facilities are in Fishersville, we have NO abortion clinics here but there is one in Charlottesville.

• Love 1
(edited)

40 minutes from Charlottesville?  Maybe with the horses and buggies y'all drive.

;)

ETA: AH, Fishersville.  Good catch.  I'd actually heard it was Fredericksburg from a friend and hadn't gone back to check.  So that makes more sense, and also confirms that YES VIRGINIA, SHE'S FROM VIRGINIA.  As a PA transplant to Virginia who thinks my adopted state should have to claim 'tucky, not my birth state, that bit of confusion is one of my pet peeves with the viewing audience.  But the confusion is understandable, given her name [which is itself just an artifact from the book, though that character WAS from PA.]  Obviously someone on the show staff has a beef with the valley.  ;)

I enjoyed reduced Pennsatucky this season - she annoyed the crap out of me last season when the storyline started to center on her. But I liked her around for the amount that she was this time around.

This. Well, I didn't enjoy her much in the first couple of episodes (I could hardly stand to look at her with those teeth). But while I DESPISED her character in Season 1, I actually quite enjoyed her weird friendship with Healy in Season 2 (it was one of my favorite things about the season).

I have a feeling I might start to hate her again in Season 3, but at least it was nice to see her somewhat tolerable (and even occasonally likable) in these episodes, after all of her utterly annoying scenes in Season 1.

Edited by kickedinthehead

I was irritated when I learned that this character was coming back for season two. I thought she was a caricature, that her storyline had run its course, and that I'd always hate her. And now she's one of my favorites! I love that she actually considers what people say to her, even if it's rude, and agrees with it if it makes sense to her (like Boo talking about all of the aborted babies). I enjoy how she thinks she's an expert on everything and doesn't really give a shit if people disagree; she just shrugs them off as wrong and keeps talking. She gets a lot of funny lines now, too. 

I'm only on episode 9 of season three, though, so my opinion is subject to change!

• Love 3

Yeah, I also didn't care much for her prior to this season but there was so much growth for the character. I like how she handled the *you know what* in the finale and her friendship with Boo.

• Love 1

Like several posters I've seen, season 2 is a blur for me, but it seems like Pennsatucky mellowed way out after she got her new shiny teeth. I expected to be annoyed by the character too, but the actress is so great with this material, and it turns out that there is a three dimensional, amusing character there without the fire and brimstone crap.

• Love 1

Am I the only one that was hoping for Pennsatucky to find love with the van guard?  I think they, both the actors and the characters, had great chemistry together. Talking shit in the van etc.. Even the creepy doggy fetching, while strange, was not the most extreme role playing games adults might play.  If not a love connection, then it could have developed into a situation where Pennsatucky was leading him around by the nose and taking advantage of his, at first, seemingly puppy dog attraction to her. But no..they had to go  all rapey on their story line.

I searched YouTube for Taryn Manning interviews and found one where it seemed like she was still filming Season 3.  And she "hinted" to the interviewer that Pennsatucky may just have a little romance in her story.  I think Taryn may have been interviewed just before she saw her script where her driving partner turned ugly. As many shows keep the actors in the dark and the writing is constantly evolving.  I just thought they could have milked that story line of the guard running around like a puppy behind Pennsatucky and her getting to use  him for all kinds of things within the prison. I was actually enjoying their jokey banter and comraderie and it just didn't seem plausible that the guard's character would have that kind of brutality in him. He went from a wide-eyed almost childlike deference to her into a "I know what you want...yeah...this is what you want isn't it...!" asshole. I just didn't think that was a believable transformation. And I felt sorry that Pennsatucky, instead of finally getting some romance in her life, just got confirmed that all guys are asshole rapists.

The guard/prisoner love story has been done - See Bennett/Daya.

Also, worth noting that while in a prison, an inmate is not able to consent to a relationship and any relations would be considered rape/sexual assault.

And I never thought they were going to head any other way with that guard. The dog-fetching thing was clearly creepy, malicious and a sign of things to come. Put a pervert in a powerful position with no background checks - cannot be surprised what happened.

I've been rewatching season 1 and this character, more than any other, really was a victim of circumstance and is just blowing in the wind. I think it is great that she has changed so much and I think it largely hinges on her new teeth. I love her and Boo and hope they do get their revenge on that bloody awful guard.

Edited by SparedTurkey

Doing a rewatch of the whole series. Just wondering if anyone knows why they've always got Pennsatucky in obvious fake hair? Season 1 it was the obvious long long stringy extensions, season 2 they cut off her hair and put her in an obvious short wig, just starting S3 and now it's a different wig. 

Just googled Taryn Manning to refresh my memory and the only thing I can think is that it's because she prefers a blond wispy look IRL?

• Love 1