Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E17: Live Show 4

• Start Topic

I was wondering do you think some of the dance groups, etc that have their performance pre taped have advantage over others that are performing live like Brandon, comedians , etc?

they get an automatic  do over if the camera shot is wrong or to set up a new angle.  

Watching "live" and commenting live:

I practiced my best "That was a-maz-ing!" female judge voice during our first offering of CA Wildcats.  Sofia has Howie pussywhipped now.  The mask wearing during their act was stupid.

Sob story My Sister Is Going Blind (Maybe) Singer made a nice appearance with hair, makeup and dress, but I don't like that kind of singing so if I were a voter she wouldn't get one of mine.  Over-emoting with the arms gesture while playing piano was too act-y.

When I saw the puppet dog again, I feared for his safety.  Howie telling it like it is!  I love it!  Even Sofie agreed with him.  Goodbye, Romanian Puppet Show.

Terry didn't even ask Howie what he thought about Noah Epps, 12-year-old quirky dancer with a big set.  Did I miss something?

I don't have much to say about the previous three acts, except Celina was pretty good singing.

Alex Hooper:  I love bedtime stories and fairy tales.  He's good at his delivery and was funny in that Don Rickles way.  Howie liked him and so did I.  Did Heidi make up her come-back poem herself?

Broken Roots:  The two guys who sing, harmonize and play guitar together.  My favorite act of the night, so far.  Extra points for a song like I actually know, and I love their take on it.  But Brandon Leake is coming up.

Bello Sisters:  Where the strobe and flashing lights meant to hide how slow the act was?  I thought they did pretty much the same thing last time.  Could be part of a Vegas show, but I doubt they'll win.

Brandon Leake:  I don't know what to say.  His delivery is good, but I'm sick of the woke messages.

• Love 5

I have this to say......I didn't actually watch this entire episode....(Hell's Kitchen was on).....but it will air again later this week.   Of the acts I did see.....the Bello Sisters are still amazing, though I didn't like the bad lighting that sometimes obstructed them, and why hide behind poor lighting effects?

The singing trio was good.....the male has a strong powerful voice and the harmoniizing is top notch.....though the lady in white I thought had moments where her singing didn't express the power of the song.....but i like them.

But they saved the best for last.   Brandon Leake has arrived at just the right moment.....with just the right message.....and the way he delivered it absolutely moved me to tears.....even as I'm writing.   I've chosen MY winner.....and I believe he'll win the whole thing.....he needs to......vote.

• Love 2

Compton Divas/Drums has a nearly unbeatable backstory, but it had far too many beats for the instrumentation displayed - in other words...another percussion act with significant percussion the act never played.  Ugh.  This was one of my favorite acts this season.  Now, I can't in good conscience support them.  I love their purpose.  

Cowboy duo was my favorite singing act tonight, but they were mediocre in historic AGT terms. 

The Roaster dude was fun.  I hope he somehow makes it through.  It's the opposite season and he makes for a great opposite act.

Spoken word dude loves his mother.  Well, lets just hand him $1,000,000.  Puh-leeeeeeze.

I agree with @Diana Berry in that prerecorded acts have an advantage.  There's no telling how many re-takes or "pick-ups" they are granted. 

If only this whole season could be a re-take. 

• Love 4

Noah's going to end up looking like Pennywise one of these days. Resound's rendition of What the World Needs Now in the intro video was actually better than their performance. If they get through they need to bring better material in the semi-finals. Alex Hooper can't compete with the glowing crotches of the Black Eyed Peas on the VMAs. But I thought his roast was funny even if the judges didn't. Was hoping the puppeteer would bring his cat for the post-act chat.

9 hours ago, Swenson said:

I have this to say......I didn't actually watch this entire episode....(Hell's Kitchen was on).....but it will air again later this week.   Of the acts I did see.....the Bello Sisters are still amazing, though I didn't like the bad lighting that sometimes obstructed them, and why hide behind poor lighting effects?

The singing trio was good.....the male has a strong powerful voice and the harmoniizing is top notch.....though the lady in white I thought had moments where her singing didn't express the power of the song.....but i like them.

But they saved the best for last.   Brandon Leake has arrived at just the right moment.....with just the right message.....and the way he delivered it absolutely moved me to tears.....even as I'm writing.   I've chosen MY winner.....and I believe he'll win the whole thing.....he needs to......vote.

ITA about Brandon Leake, it was an emotional moment, and he is such a unique talent, not like any of the other acts...I was impressed

• Love 1

And sorry Sofia Vergara.....but the buzzer only counts during the course of the act.....so for official scoring purposes ....Alex Hooper did not recieve an X.  Heidi clearly doesn't like him.....but she was out sick when he auditioned.   

Edited by Swenson
  • Love 1

The Cheer squad: I like these guys, but what's up with the "We're athletes too" sob story. Then one says "Winning AGT would validate us as athletes." WTH does that even mean? Like Terry Fader, Kodi Lee and Darcy Lynn are now validated athletes? Dudes need to pay less attention to what other people say, unless those people have something constructive to say. This group was better than the dance crews still in this show.

But then Howie says "Did you up it from last time?" Talk about not-constructive criticism. I want you to ask all the singers about "upping" their "game," jackass.

Because next was the girl singer with the sick sister. I didn't see/hear her upping her game. Or song. Maybe she was better than before, I just don't remember her at all. I do remember the almost/maybe blind sister though, so there's why these acts have sob back stories, so we can at least remember the stories if we can't remember the act.

Howie was an ass giving the Romanian puppets a red X just because he doesn't live alone and has no one and no family and he has a happy life and pandemic isn't hurting his personal or social or business life. Me, I'm the opposite of Howie, and that act, the girl giving the older alone woman flowers, love and a puppy, made me bawl my eyes out. So Howie, unless you want to trade lives with me, you can get bent.

The three singers: The woman said "If you can't find the light, be the light." WTH does that even mean.

The Compton drummer group: So many squatty potty moves, I lost count. I didn't care for them at all.

The People Hate Me Because Of How I Dress sob-story singer has a really sucky sob story. I mean, come on. But she's a good singer, so I give her a pass. Just change your story. Plus your outfit last night was not part of the sob story, it was pretty fancy.

The colorful comedian with the book was HILARIOUS. My fav act of the night. But what's up with stank-face, sour-puss Heidi and Sophia. You both are so "perfect" you can't take a joke? You both must be miserable in real life. (So agrees Heidi's multiple ex husbands.)

I got a laugh from the WARNING - FLASHING LIGHTS WITH STROBE EFFECT! that ran across the bottom of the screen before the Bello circus sisters. We got no warning last week before some other seizure-causing act. The girls had to come up with a sob story this time. Maybe they had the same one before, I just don't remember. (Translation: Don't care.)

Howie says the two guy singers who were brought back (I missed who got injured and dropped out) were just coffee-house singers. Is that a slam? What's wrong with having a cuppa and listening to some singers you enjoy, Howie. I liked them the first time and still do. I'd drink two or three cups just to stay longer to listen to more of them.

Then the poetry guy came on. Hokey smokes, this dude ROCKS. Golden buzzer him to first place in the finale someone.

I think there were more acts but had to take dogs out and garbage to the road for pick up today. Real life messes with my viewing pleasure sometimes.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Howie says the two guy singers who were brought back (I missed who got injured and dropped out) were just coffee-house singers. Is that a slam? What's wrong with having a cuppa and listening to some singers you enjoy, Howie. I liked them the first time and still do. I'd drink two or three cups just to stay longer to listen to more of them.

They replaced Thomas Day (teen singer with terrible sweater). Article I saw just says he withdrew from the competition but doesn't say why.

6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They replaced Thomas Day (teen singer with terrible sweater). Article I saw just says he withdrew from the competition but doesn't say why.

Here's an article that explains it all.

https://meaww.com/americas-got-talent-season-15-quarterfinals-why-thomas-day-quit-fans-missing-scamming-football

TL DR: He chose his budding football career over a budding talent show winner career.

Glad he didn't come back and was more than happy and pleased that Broken Roots got that phone call and returned for another enjoyable performance.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They replaced Thomas Day (teen singer with terrible sweater).

LOL! Again, this could be anyone, I don't remember names. But I do remember the sob and back stories, so Football Singer I remember. Sounds like the kid is a real dick though, so glad he's gone. Singing one recorded song to play on the fake "live" show isn't exactly a full-time job.

Thanks for the help!

• Love 1

Of course Brandon has to go "woke" on a program most people fall asleep to. I remembered about the show at like 11pm and then immediately forgot, which is probably why I woke up with that post-coital glow; not that I have any firsthand experience of that to base my remark on.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! Again, this could be anyone, I don't remember names. But I do remember the sob and back stories, so Football Singer I remember. Sounds like the kid is a real dick though, so glad he's gone. Singing one recorded song to play on the fake "live" show isn't exactly a full-time job.

I had to google him. I'm lucky if I remember the names by the end of the act (that's assuming I even caught in the first place). But I did remember his terrible sweater and hair and wondering if he was in the wrong decade.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Here's an article that explains it all.

https://meaww.com/americas-got-talent-season-15-quarterfinals-why-thomas-day-quit-fans-missing-scamming-football

TL DR: He chose his budding football career over a budding talent show winner career.

Glad he didn't come back and was more than happy and pleased that Broken Roots got that phone call and returned for another enjoyable performance.

"Day, after all, was one of the most popular acts." 

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF

• LOL 2

Howie is supposed to be the comedy expert, but Alex Hooper is nothing at all like Don Rickles. He's more like a cross between Rip Taylor and Richard Simmons. 

It's the first time I saw the Bello Sisters, so I don't know if they were just repeating themselves. Actually, I would say I still haven't seen the Bello Sisters, since the strobing lights and smoke effects completely hid them. I could tell they were women in (very) good shape, that's about it. They were probably not likely to go through over all the sob stories and "uplifting" messages, but bad stage design took away any chance they had.

"People hate me because of how I dress" is the worst fake sob story ever.  Where the heck is she from? Where I live, people would get more hate for wearing a nicely pressed suit.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

How long before high schools have to cancel sports again? So we got two acoustic guitar singer-players instead of a mediocre pretty boy singer. Eh, that's fine. Just for the singers I would rate them Resound, Celina, Broken Roots, Kenadi. Although she gets props for the pretty scenery. Cheer group and DIvas & Drummer fell flat. Totally zoned out for the Bello sisters. I hope Alex goes through but it is a particular kind of humor. Got sniffly over Lightwave Theater. The lockdown restrictions prevented them from doing any work on the puppets until only a few weeks before the performance, so I know they had to modify their original plan, Howie. Probably will be Brandon Leake, Celina, Broken Roots (sob story and a comeback), Lightwave Theater, and I'm not sure about the fifth slot.

Pokemon is entirely to blame for seizure warnings on TV programs.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Howie is supposed to be the comedy expert, but Alex Hooper is nothing at all like Don Rickles. He's more like a cross between Rip Taylor and Richard Simmons. 

It's the first time I saw the Bello Sisters, so I don't know if they were just repeating themselves. Actually, I would say I still haven't seen the Bello Sisters, since the strobing lights and smoke effects completely hid them. I could tell they were women in (very) good shape, that's about it. They were probably not likely to go through over all the sob stories and "uplifting" messages, but bad stage design took away any chance they had.

"People hate me because of how I dress" is the worst fake sob story ever.  Where the heck is she from? Where I live, people would get more hate for wearing a nicely pressed suit.

Don Rickles did make a career of roasting people and hurling insults, but if anyone knows Alex Hooper's full career or repertoire I guess he has Rip Taylor antics and looks a bit like Richard Simmons!

Agree on Bello Sisters.  Act was basically the same as first audition, but with different costumes (of course), set, music, and no warning worthy strobe and flashing lights.

Celina said she's from San Diego, where I live, and she lives in Encinitas, a city in our North County area (still SD County.)  Here no one would blink twice at her appearance.  She grew up in the SD area, so I'm thinking the producers gave her the sob story which we perpetuated by wearing pants, etc.  No way would Celina be ostracized here! 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Cheer squad: I like these guys, but what's up with the "We're athletes too" sob story. Then one says "Winning AGT would validate us as athletes." WTH does that even mean? Like Terry Fader, Kodi Lee and Darcy Lynn are now validated athletes? Dudes need to pay less attention to what other people say, unless those people have something constructive to say. This group was better than the dance crews still in this show.

But then Howie says "Did you up it from last time?" Talk about not-constructive criticism. I want you to ask all the singers about "upping" their "game," jackass.

Because next was the girl singer with the sick sister. I didn't see/hear her upping her game. Or song. Maybe she was better than before, I just don't remember her at all. I do remember the almost/maybe blind sister though, so there's why these acts have sob back stories, so we can at least remember the stories if we can't remember the act.

Howie was an ass giving the Romanian puppets a red X just because he doesn't live alone and has no one and no family and he has a happy life and pandemic isn't hurting his personal or social or business life. Me, I'm the opposite of Howie, and that act, the girl giving the older alone woman flowers, love and a puppy, made me bawl my eyes out. So Howie, unless you want to trade lives with me, you can get bent.

The three singers: The woman said "If you can't find the light, be the light." WTH does that even mean.

The Compton drummer group: So many squatty potty moves, I lost count. I didn't care for them at all.

The People Hate Me Because Of How I Dress sob-story singer has a really sucky sob story. I mean, come on. But she's a good singer, so I give her a pass. Just change your story. Plus your outfit last night was not part of the sob story, it was pretty fancy.

The colorful comedian with the book was HILARIOUS. My fav act of the night. But what's up with stank-face, sour-puss Heidi and Sophia. You both are so "perfect" you can't take a joke? You both must be miserable in real life. (So agrees Heidi's multiple ex husbands.)

I got a laugh from the WARNING - FLASHING LIGHTS WITH STROBE EFFECT! that ran across the bottom of the screen before the Bello circus sisters. We got no warning last week before some other seizure-causing act. The girls had to come up with a sob story this time. Maybe they had the same one before, I just don't remember. (Translation: Don't care.)

Then the poetry guy came on. Hokey smokes, this dude ROCKS. Golden buzzer him to first place in the finale someone.

I think there were more acts but had to take dogs out and garbage to the road for pick up today. Real life messes with my viewing pleasure sometimes.

Re- the puppet act- Don’t feel alone.  I’m in the same boat there are alot of people like us out there. I couldn’t watch too much of it because I can’t handle sad and dog in the same performance.  Glad that Heidi understood about helping your neighbor or a stranger during these times.  Howie is clueless.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Celina said she's from San Diego, where I live, and she lives in Encinitas, a city in our North County area (still SD County.)  Here no one would blink twice at her appearance.  She grew up in the SD area, so I'm thinking the producers gave her the sob story which we perpetuated by wearing pants, etc.  No way would Celina be ostracized here! 

Yeah, that's where I was going with that. It's not like she grew up in the Bible Belt. (and even the "Bible Belt" is not what it used to be).

12 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Re- the puppet act- Don’t feel alone.  I’m in the same boat there are alot of people like us out there. I couldn’t watch too much of it because I can’t handle sad and dog in the same performance.  Glad that Heidi understood about helping your neighbor or a stranger during these times.  Howie is clueless.

Howie is clueless and also off in his own (very affluent) world. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Yeah, that's where I was going with that. It's not like she grew up in the Bible Belt. (and even the "Bible Belt" is not what it used to be).

I grew up in the Midwest, spent lots of time in the deep south, and Celina (and her clothes) wouldn't get a second look anywhere. I don't get why that's a sob story. Are females suppose to wear high heels and waist-length hair extensions to be "accepted"? My closet is full of Celina-esque clothes and no one has ever made fun of me. Not to my face, anyway!

• Love 2
On 9/5/2020 at 12:11 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

20 acts got voted or judged through to the semis, but the episode descriptions show 22 performing. Two wild cards?

I thought Terry said something about wild cards, so my vote is yes!

• Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, saber5055 said:

I thought Terry said something about wild cards, so my vote is yes!

Yes, 2 Wild Cards this week: Thomas Day(a singer) who had Covid & thus had not been able to perform, and the Dance Family from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.