Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

6,218 steps yesterday.

Just doing normal things around the house, finished unloading car after shopping trip. Need to do a few things in the yard but will have to really pace myself and not do too much at a time.

It is taking me a lot longer to recover than I thought it would, just about any extra activity exhausts me... sigh.

• Hugs 6

6,801 steps yesterday.

Mostly just normal things around the house, a little Spring cleaning, etc. The weather was so nice I spent some time outside doing light yard work. It felt good to be out in the sun! 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

6,801 steps yesterday.

Mostly just normal things around the house, a little Spring cleaning, etc. The weather was so nice I spent some time outside doing light yard work. It felt good to be out in the sun! 

Me too.  I'm so glad the weather has warmed up.  Out come my capris!  I got the linen closet cleaned out, finally.  I'll walk outside today.  I love all the blossoming trees (especially the pink ones, so pretty.)

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Me too.  I'm so glad the weather has warmed up.  Out come my capris!  I got the linen closet cleaned out, finally.  I'll walk outside today.  I love all the blossoming trees (especially the pink ones, so pretty.)

Nothing is blossoming here yet...still too early. This is the first really nice weather this year. I can hardly wait for my lilacs to bloom, but probably a couple of weeks still.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

It’s lovely where I’m at, everything is green and blooming (MD). 

• Like 4

7,184 steps yesterday. It was so lovely outside, I spent more time puttering around in the yard. Not doing really strenuous things, just tidying up after Winter.

78° was the high yesterday, just a bit under forecast but it was beautiful out. Opened up the house to air it out and let the sunshine in. Today looks about the same, forecast is 83°/44°. Temps look warm next 10 days but thunderstorms and rain showers for 9 days after today...argh!

• Like 4

Another round #! 6,900 steps yesterday. (Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket??? LOL!)

The big wind had me hustling outside to put kitty beds in safety and the empty boxes they like to sit in. Little bit of thunder and small amount of rain. Looks like a couple nice days then the thunder/rain again for a couple days...ugh!

• Like 5

7,021 steps yesterday.

Right knee was really sore after trip to grocery store and again thought I was taking it easy. Guess the shopping got the number up where I must have twisted it wrong or something. Salonpas patch on it for 8 hours last night, today it seems OK. Will try to be careful today...

Still looking for the right photo of my late Baby Boo, this one will work for now...

• Like 5

6,519 steps yesterday. Really did try to take it easy...unfortunately it isn't so easy.

Stormy weather still had me trying to keep things in order outside. Really dislike the wind that come with these thunderstorms. Looks like they will last through next Tuesday. :(

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

6,519 steps yesterday. Really did try to take it easy...unfortunately it isn't so easy.

Stormy weather still had me trying to keep things in order outside. Really dislike the wind that come with these thunderstorms. Looks like they will last through next Tuesday. :(

Love your Tuxedo kitty. I had one too, travelled the country with us and lived to the ripe old age of 17. 

Boss cat over our 150lb. Bouvier.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Love your Tuxedo kitty. I had one too, travelled the country with us and lived to the ripe old age of 17. 

Boss cat over our 150lb. Bouvier.

Thanks! Baby Boo was my heart. He went to the rainbow bridge far sooner than I wanted. He was a stray that showed up at my then neighbor's house. She already had 6 cats so offered him to me. We were together for 12 years and I still miss him. And yes, he was a force to be reckoned with.! 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 6

5,597 steps yesterday. took it a bit easy, knees were aching.

Turned out to be a fairly decent day weather-wise though the next few days are looking to be somewhat unsettled with showers here and there. 

My goal today is to clean out the refrigerator. Ugh, not a fun thought...

• Like 4

6,794 steps yesterday.

Easy day, started working on cleaning out refrigerator but got really tired about 1/2 way through. Maybe I'll finish it today. Garbage up to the road is the most I have planned today.

• Like 5
(edited)

7,127 steps yesterday. Still not pushing for more steps, just take what comes and seems like I am finally getting somewhat stronger.  Still tire really easily and rest of the refrigerator cleaning still awaits, but it can wait...

Edited by Gramto6
typo just noticed
  • Like 5

I haven't posted lately partly because nothing has changed.  My body has decided that 5-7,000 steps and 1,200 calories a day is not doing enough to lose any more weight.  The only reason I lost another pound a couple of weeks ago is because I was so sick to my stomach I couldn't eat for a few days.  I had a scary episode of vertigo that put me in the hospital overnight while they did a CAT scan, an MRI of my head and extensive blood tests.  It came on suddenly in the shower out of nowhere.  Of course my husband wasn't at home at the time so I had to call an ambulance.  The good news is that all my tests were good including my blood sugar which thanks to the weight loss has gone back down into the normal range and my cholesterol, which is still elevated but only slightly.  It's very satisfying to get some proof that all my work losing weight and improving my diet have paid off so well. 

I just saw my eye/ear/nose/throat doctor this week and he doesn't think I have Meniere's disease like I fear since I also have tinnitus (which I've had most of my life), but he's sending me for tests anyway.  Unfortunately I couldn't get on the calendar for those until August.  

I've been reading online that dizziness and vertigo can be caused by showers that are too hot.  They can raise blood pressure suddenly which they think can bring on vertigo in some people.  My master bathroom is very small and the fan isn't that great in spite of the fact that I replaced it several years ago with a super-dooper model.  Despite the fact that I keep the window open there isn't much ventilation if I keep the door closed.  So now I'm going to leave the door open and keep the water a little cooler. 

I think that as we age our blood pressure is more susceptible to circumstantial fluctuation and I don't doubt it might have been too hot and steamy in my shower.  Last year around this time I had a dizzy spell in the shower which was similar but not vertigo in that the room wasn't spinning.  I just felt very off balance and had to sit for a few minutes until it went away.  Unfortunately this recent episode of vertigo lasted for about 4 hours and it has taken me a couple of weeks to feel mostly back to normal.  The doctors really can't pinpoint what causes it in a lot of cases.  The fact that both times it took place in the shower is making me think the two episodes are related.  The tests I'm going to take will tell me if there are any middle ear/balance issues.  I'm going to keep calling the hospital to see if anyone cancels earlier than August.   

Anyway, that's what's been going on with me.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 9

6,919 steps yesterday. Overall feeling pretty good. Still have to be careful not to over do with my back, but do see some improvement.

Sorry to hear of your problem @Yeah No. I hope you can get some answers sooner rather than later. I know the frustration of having to wait so long for an appointment when we really want an answer to something that is causing worry or pain. Take care, feel better soon. (((Hugs)))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

@Yeah No a thought occurred to me when I was having my shower this afternoon. Have you considered having a grab bar or two installed in your shower? Since my fall I have had worse balance issue and some small dizzy spell incidents so went ahead and had 2 short bars installed in my shower. They really give me a great feeling of security!

I was unexpectedly fortunate that when I bought my home the owners had installed a wheel chair accessible shower in one of the bathrooms (their daughter living with them had MS) It is as long as a tub and a bit wider, all tile walls, and a shower curtain entrance. I didn't use it much before my back injury and now it is my primary shower. It has no edge to step over and with my bench and the grab bars, I feel very safe. 

I know you are much younger than I am and the thought of grab bars may be off putting, but I tell you they really help when I begin to feel unsteady in the shower. Just a thought I am tossing out for your consideration.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I haven't posted lately partly because nothing has changed.  My body has decided that 5-7,000 steps and 1,200 calories a day is not doing enough to lose any more weight.  The only reason I lost another pound a couple of weeks ago is because I was so sick to my stomach I couldn't eat for a few days.  I had a scary episode of vertigo that put me in the hospital overnight while they did a CAT scan, an MRI of my head and extensive blood tests.  It came on suddenly in the shower out of nowhere.  Of course my husband wasn't at home at the time so I had to call an ambulance.  The good news is that all my tests were good including my blood sugar which thanks to the weight loss has gone back down into the normal range and my cholesterol, which is still elevated but only slightly.  It's very satisfying to get some proof that all my work losing weight and improving my diet have paid off so well. 

I just saw my eye/ear/nose/throat doctor this week and he doesn't think I have Meniere's disease like I fear since I also have tinnitus (which I've had most of my life), but he's sending me for tests anyway.  Unfortunately I couldn't get on the calendar for those until August.  

I've been reading online that dizziness and vertigo can be caused by showers that are too hot.  They can raise blood pressure suddenly which they think can bring on vertigo in some people.  My master bathroom is very small and the fan isn't that great in spite of the fact that I replaced it several years ago with a super-dooper model.  Despite the fact that I keep the window open there isn't much ventilation if I keep the door closed.  So now I'm going to leave the door open and keep the water a little cooler. 

I think that as we age our blood pressure is more susceptible to circumstantial fluctuation and I don't doubt it might have been too hot and steamy in my shower.  Last year around this time I had a dizzy spell in the shower which was similar but not vertigo in that the room wasn't spinning.  I just felt very off balance and had to sit for a few minutes until it went away.  Unfortunately this recent episode of vertigo lasted for about 4 hours and it has taken me a couple of weeks to feel mostly back to normal.  The doctors really can't pinpoint what causes it in a lot of cases.  The fact that both times it took place in the shower is making me think the two episodes are related.  The tests I'm going to take will tell me if there are any middle ear/balance issues.  I'm going to keep calling the hospital to see if anyone cancels earlier than August.   

Anyway, that's what's been going on with me.

Awwww hugs for what you’re going through. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No a thought occurred to me when I was having my shower this afternoon. Have you considered having a grab bar or two installed in your shower? Since my fall I have had worse balance issue and some small dizzy spell incidents so went ahead and had 2 short bars installed in my shower. They really give me a great feeling of security!

I was unexpectedly fortunate that when I bought my home the owners had installed a wheel chair accessible shower in one of the bathrooms (their daughter living with them had MS) It is as long as a tub and a bit wider, all tile walls, and a shower curtain entrance. I didn't use it much before my back injury and now it is my primary shower. It has no edge to step over and with my bench and the grab bars, I feel very safe. 

I know you are much younger than I am and the thought of grab bars may be off putting, but I tell you they really help when I begin to feel unsteady in the shower. Just a thought I am tossing out for your consideration.

Yes, I've considered it.  I actually have one in one of the closets somewhere that I bought for when my dad stayed with us for a couple of months about 5 years ago.  I also bought a shower chair then too.  He felt the chair was sufficient so I never installed the bar.  I still have the chair and put it in the shower just to grab onto.  The funny thing is I don't feel unsteady on my feet in the shower unless my eyes are closed.  I am going to install the bar when I find it.  it's one of those suction models so it won't be too difficult to do.  Don't worry about it being off-putting, it can't be any more off-putting than realizing I'm turning 65 in a few months and will be applying for Medicare very soon!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

The tile in my shower is textured so the suction bar wouldn't work. I tried a suction soap dish and it just fell off so the bars I have are screwed into the tile and are quite solid. Yeah, it is when my eyes are closed that I have the most problem too. The bars work great!

Hope the suction one works for you, so easy to install. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

The tile in my shower is textured so the suction bar wouldn't work. I tried a suction soap dish and it just fell off so the bars I have are screwed into the tile and are quite solid. Yeah, it is when my eyes are closed that I have the most problem too. The bars work great!

Hope the suction one works for you, so easy to install. 

Thank you so much!  BTW the scale was down another pound today.  That makes a 25 pound loss since last September.  Hallelujah!  I don't know why this pound came off unless the effect on my sinuses that the high pollen count and the wildfire smoke coming in from western Canada had something to do with it.  I don't normally suffer from seasonal allergies but the pollen count has been extremely high lately and CT is in the top 4 states for the highest pollen in the country.  I've read that even people that normally don't suffer from seasonal allergies can be affected at times like this.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7,363 steps yesterday. Think I did too much, back was aching late evening and this morning is still achey. Easy day ahead...

@Yeah No hey a pound is a pound, be happy it is going the direction you want!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've read that even people that normally don't suffer from seasonal allergies can be affected at times like this.

It's true.  And those of us with established allergies are really suffering.  I rarely have to go to the doctor for allergy treatment and I did this year.  She gave me instructions beyond the OTC ones for my meds and also two prescriptions for the next two months. They reserve these things for when it's REALLY bad.  My head was so stuffy that it was impacting my hearing.  

Good luck with the chair and the grab bar.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello! Long time lurker here..

My last round of blood work said I have insulin resistance, and despite eating healthy, I gained 6 pounds in one week. I finally broke down and started keto. I have nobody to share my diet with so I'm just gonna tell you guys.. in 45 days I've lost 27 pounds! I'm still super fat though! 73 to go... Has anyone tried Pilates? I have a bad hip and knee and was thinking it would be low impact? 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

It's true.  And those of us with established allergies are really suffering.  I rarely have to go to the doctor for allergy treatment and I did this year.  She gave me instructions beyond the OTC ones for my meds and also two prescriptions for the next two months. They reserve these things for when it's REALLY bad.  My head was so stuffy that it was impacting my hearing.  

Good luck with the chair and the grab bar.  

Thank you!  I'm really suffering and I have no history of seasonal allergies!  I can't believe it.  I was fine one day than suddenly this came on so bad.  I took a Covid test so I know it's not that and it's not acting like a cold either according to the internet.  I have bad post nasal drip and running nose and eyes, all clear fluid.  My head aches from all the constant coughing and I feel like crap.  My voice is all hoarse.  The pharmacist at Walmart told me she's hearing this from a lot of people who've never had seasonal allergies before. She said some of them even have laryngitis!

I was JUST at my eye/ear/nose/throat doctor's office a couple of days ago and had no symptoms at all!  I have issues taking antihistamines, which cause bad side effects (I am sensitive to everything).  So I'm taking Sudafed but it's not really doing much because I can only take half the dose because of side effects.  I might try Allegra or Zyrtec in the children's dosage to see if I can take that.  I went from vertigo to this in only a couple of weeks - I hope this passes soon or I find something that helps because I can't take much more of this!

• Hugs 2

I understand.  I was such a mess with it two weekends ago that I was sick not just allergy issues.  I'm still not over it, but very much improved from the worst of it.  I hope something helps you.  Simply saline might help.  It's just salt water that washes the pollen out of your nose.  

• Like 1

7,317 steps yesterday. Mostly just puttering around and still going through clothing and organizing closets.

Kind of gave up on the refrigerator for a bit. Too much bending down and reaching for my back right now. Will have to do that project in small steps...

My nose has been running like a faucet and eyes are itchy. I do have mild allergies but for this area it is really too early. Things have barely begun to bloom yet. This morning when I got up just before 7AM it was 32° outside. I think for now the irritant is smoke, this is "burning season" here. Everyone is burning the old grasses and weeds and any legal wood/cardboard to clean their yards.   Burning will end fairly soon, by then the plants will be in bloom.  Oh joy, after that it will be wildfire season... Non ending nose assault! 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

my eye/ear/nose/throat doctor's office

I’m not familiar with this. ENT yes, not combined with eyes, though. Is it more than one doctor, or one covering all four?

(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I’m not familiar with this. ENT yes, not combined with eyes, though. Is it more than one doctor, or one covering all four?

My ENT is in a joint office building with my Eye dr but they are 2 different doctors. I haven't heard of a combo ENT+Eye before.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It's called an EENT and is a valid specialty.  I saw one once to deal with my ears and the spring allergies.  

Interesting, I wasn’t questioning the validity.  I’ve only heard of a combination such as that in doing nursing assessments, Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat (HEENT).

Learn something new every day. I have no room left in my brain for more!

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 4

Saline helps as @Absolom mentioned. NeilMed sinus rinse also helps. Flonase helps. A HEPA filter is great too (if the allergies are bad at home). I also have used a dust mite barrier mattress cover on my bed for years. Also under my duvet cover. 

Everything improved when I got allergy shots. They test you for pollen, mold, grass, roach, various animals. Then you can choose what to include in your shot.

There are risks but the worst side effect I had was one time when my arm had a larger patch of swelling than normal from the injection. When that happened my allergist repeated the same dose the following week instead of going up, then raised the next doses more gradually. After the 26 weekly shots, they generally recommend getting a monthly shot for 3-5 years. Some people continue the monthly shots indefinitely. The relief was so dramatic I wished I had done it at least 20 years earlier. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, just my experience. Anaphylactic shock can happen, which is why they ask you to wait in the office for a half hour after each shot and take an antihistamine before the shot. 

• Useful 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Saline helps as @Absolom mentioned. NeilMed sinus rinse also helps. Flonase helps. A HEPA filter is great too (if the allergies are bad at home). I also have used a dust mite barrier mattress cover on my bed for years. Also under my duvet cover. 

Everything improved when I got allergy shots. They test you for pollen, mold, grass, roach, various animals. Then you can choose what to include in your shot.

There are risks but the worst side effect I had was one time when my arm had a larger patch of swelling than normal from the injection. When that happened my allergist repeated the same dose the following week instead of going up, then raised the next doses more gradually. After the 26 weekly shots, they generally recommend getting a monthly shot for 3-5 years. Some people continue the monthly shots indefinitely. The relief was so dramatic I wished I had done it at least 20 years earlier. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, just my experience. Anaphylactic shock can happen, which is why they ask you to wait in the office for a half hour after each shot and take an antihistamine before the shot. 

Thank you for that info.  I am very afraid of side effects from shots because I've known people to have them and it can be very debilitating for a long time until they wear off.  And I'm very sensitive to everything, which SUCKS and there are a lot of drugs I can't take.  Usually anything with risks involved is not a good idea for me.  I'll have to ask about them, though.

I tried the Allegra but it barely did anything for me, although I didn't experience drowsiness or any side effects.  I have a message into my Otolaryngologist but haven't heard back yet.  My symptoms are so bad I am starting to worry.  I might need to go to the urgent care for tests.  I know it's not Covid and I doubt it's a cold, but at this point I'd be happier if it was a cold because that would mean there's a light at the end of this tunnel coming soon....I feel so sick it's almost like a virus in many ways but I keep taking the quizzes and they all point to allergies.  I just can't function with this and I'm stuck at home suffering at the most beautiful time of the year......☹️

10 hours ago, Absolom said:

It's called an EENT and is a valid specialty.  I saw one once to deal with my ears and the spring allergies.  

I checked on my doctor's official title and as an Otolaryngologist he's an ear, nose and throat doctor, so there's no "eye" in there, LOL.  I stand corrected on that, at least with him.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/11/2023 at 6:26 PM, butterbody said:

Hello! Long time lurker here..

My last round of blood work said I have insulin resistance, and despite eating healthy, I gained 6 pounds in one week. I finally broke down and started keto. I have nobody to share my diet with so I'm just gonna tell you guys.. in 45 days I've lost 27 pounds! I'm still super fat though! 73 to go... Has anyone tried Pilates? I have a bad hip and knee and was thinking it would be low impact? 

Welcome and thanks for sharing. Pilates is awesome and not given enough credit, give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you! My mom did it and she loved it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

So much has been happening in my little world and I haven’t said much so, here goes. There’s a lot but I’ll try to keep it short.

Meshing into the new job has been a challenge. I got stressed and worked out way too hard, stressing my kidneys and wound up being admitted to hospital. Then I had to go back to Long Island for procedures for a week. I almost resigned due to stress but held out.

Things are settling down but I’m still stressed and run morning and night due to boredom. I won’t be able to sustain that and don’t want to stress my kidneys, but it’s what I do. There’s nothing to do around here but hike and run. The stress is still causing me weight loss, which I’m keeping an eye on because, anorexia. I’m still in food rules zone with intermittent fasting and just fish and veggies at night (but it’s a lot of fish and veggies). 

My co-workers are wonderful though and that’s what’s keeping me here. Otherwise I may have simply resigned and stayed home where my doctors and family are. 6 month assignments are not for me anymore, I suspect this may be the last one — I require stability in my life these days. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Autocorrect as usual!
  • Hugs 8

@Yeah No My allergies were making me sick like that a couple of weeks ago.  That's what sent me to the PCP's office.  She was able to handle it.  I'm not over it completely, but I'm back to it's just allergies.

I feel compelled to say the allergy shots are not always a solution and are definitely not for everyone.  Both my husband and a co-worker had their allergies get worse from having the shots.

• Useful 2

6,176 steps yesterday. Quiet day, back feeling pretty good today so guess that was what I needed.

Tomorrow I go up to town for the MRI my Gastro ordered. He says everything looks good but he just wants to make sure no signs of liver cancer.  Reassuring...Nope!

• Hugs 9
On 5/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, Absolom said:

@Yeah No My allergies were making me sick like that a couple of weeks ago.  That's what sent me to the PCP's office.  She was able to handle it.  I'm not over it completely, but I'm back to it's just allergies.

I feel compelled to say the allergy shots are not always a solution and are definitely not for everyone.  Both my husband and a co-worker had their allergies get worse from having the shots.

Thank you!  I got a response from my doctor and he wrote that it would be very unusual for someone who's never had pollen allergies to suddenly come on mid-season with such strong symptoms out of nowhere so he's thinking it might be a cold.  I don't doubt that he might be right especially since right after I read that my husband called from the road to tell me that suddenly his throat is feeling scratchy this morning, which is very unusual for him.  The last time either of us was sick with any kind of virus was in 2019 when he caught something from a passenger that had just flown in from overseas.  We were both in bed with that one for a few days.  Later I remember thinking how similar the symptoms were to Covid.  It took me a month to get completely over that one!

Now I feel like if this is a cold I might have actually caught it in this doctor's office because I had just seen him 2 days before my symptoms came on.  I wore a mask everywhere but took it off in his office for him to look down my throat (he was wearing a mask).  I didn't put the mask back on when I left his office but I walked right out and into an empty elevator so I felt no need to (and all mask rules have been lifted by this hospital).  So who knows where I got it?  Maybe I got it at the supermarket.  I don't wear masks in stores anymore but I stay away from people and normally wouldn't catch anything that way pre-Covid.  Our Covid rate is extremely low right now.  Of course the masks prevent other things too.

So anyway I asked him if he thinks I should go to an urgent care and get tested to find out if this is a virus because I feel like I need to know what it is to know how to proceed.  I actually hope it's a cold and not allergies!  Of course we live right near one of the top 10 cities for the worst pollen allergies so that's one reason why I thought it might be that (two of the worst cities in the US are in CT!).  Plus we just had those few days of smoke from the wildfires in Canada at the same time.

• Like 2

I don't wish to contradict the doctor, but I've read that people who have never had pollen allergies before are having symptoms this year because the pollen is so bad.  It may fall in the category of an irritant (like smoke) that is causing a reaction that may not be a true allergy and return every year.  

• Like 2
Just now, Absolom said:

I don't wish to contradict the doctor, but I've read that people who have never had pollen allergies before are having symptoms this year because the pollen is so bad.  It may fall in the category of an irritant (like smoke) that is causing a reaction that may not be a true allergy and return every year.  

Yep I've been hearing the same stories.  Also is the fact that I am known to be sensitive to the smoke from wildfires.  I've never had a full-blown allergic reaction to it but it just irritates my nose and throat more than the average person even if the smoke is supposedly mild and doesn't affect air quality that much (like this time).  But we have never had wildfire smoke at the same time as very high pollen so perhaps the two together created a "perfect storm" of factors that made my histamines go insane.  The smoke has supposedly gone elsewhere so perhaps that's why I'm not feeling quite as bad as I was.  So that's my other theory.  It should be interesting to see how my husband feels going forward.  The doctor didn't rule out allergies, just said it would be very unusual.  Of course everything "very unusual" usually happens to ME!!  😉

• Like 4

9,495 steps yesterday. I think mostly due to nervous pacing.

Frankly quite surprised with the number yesterday, didn't think I'd see anything like that for a long time if ever again! I will probably lose some steps today while at the hospital for MRI and of course the 70 mile round trip. I do plan on a couple of shopping stops on way home so that may help the count.

I am not nervous about the actual MRI, it is waiting for the results and what they might be. I have never been a pacer before but after my injury, pacing seems to calm me some. Just the moving around I find soothing (maybe because for a while that was really hard to do!). Yesterday's step count sure showed that, and  once I get home today, may be the same thing.

I am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of a Fitbit Versa I was gifted but still on a learning curve. This number was strictly from my Steps app on my phone that I have been using for years. Will strictly be using app today will go back to working with the Fitbit when I am home all day tomorrow.

Well, I am fasting for 8 hours (about in the middle about now) so no food/drink for me, but the kitties sure don't know the meaning of that word and want to be fed NOW! So better get going...

• Hugs 8
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I am not nervous about the actual MRI, it is waiting for the results and what they might be. I have never been a pacer before but after my injury, pacing seems to calm me some. Just the moving around I find soothing (maybe because for a while that was really hard to do!). Yesterday's step count sure showed that, and  once I get home today, may be the same thing.

I had an MRI of my brain last month after my vertigo episode just to rule out either cancer, a brain tumor or a stroke.  My husband couldn't sleep that night before I got the results.  I didn't worry about it at all because I knew they were just going through their usual procedure to rule out the most severe and less likely causes of vertigo.  I'm hoping it's that kind of thing for you.  What bothers me is that if I didn't already know that it would have made me worry too.  The doctors these days aren't so good at putting it into perspective for the patients.  It's like they jump straight to ruling out cancer or a stroke without even talking about the more likely causes which makes patients get unnecessarily worried.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Absolom said:

Well, guess what?  My husband is now having symptoms so we are pretty sure this is a garden variety cold.  Not having had one in forever I forgot what it could be like.  Usually I don't get head colds where I can remain partially active.  I'm usually in bed suffering with a lot of aches and pains with a cold.  It's just not as bad as the flu.  So that's why I thought this might be allergies.  I'm actually feeling better knowing what it is and that it will go away soon.  I'm feeling better every day so that's encouraging!  I just feel bad for my husband because he had to work today although he wore his mask and kept his window open to keep the air circulating.  He didn't want to infect the 82 year old mother-in-law of his boss who just beat breast cancer!

I wonder if all my Covid shots and boosters helped me get a milder case of this than I might have without them.  I've read that they might actually help with immunity to other types of coronaviruses like the common cold and even flu.  I also got a flu shot last Fall too. 

That said, I "fell off the diet wagon" today for the very first time since last September other than on special occasions and holidays.  I had to stop off at Whole Foods for a couple of things and couldn't resist a little tiramisu square dessert.  I figure I didn't eat much for a few days so I'll probably get away with it without any weight gain.  I've just been through so much in the past few weeks that I needed a little treat to pick me up.  Now back to the diet!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 6

6,713 steps yesterday.

I expected less than the day before as MRI involved a lot of sitting around and waiting plus drive time. Still happy with end count.

The dr ordered the MRI w/out and with contrast so I had to go through the process twice. Not bad as now they have earphones that play music that help drown out the noises some, I chose relaxing music and actually almost fell asleep! Now it is just wait for the results...               

• Like 6

I'm wishing you good results from your MRI.

But I must admit I'm envious of your 7K+ steps. I had a Dr's appointment at the hospital today with a significant walk to and from the parking garage  and a normal day around the house and yet I only show 1400 step on my fitbit. I'm 5'10 and probably have a longer stride, but still...  I can't even find where to set my stride on the fitbit app.

Gram to 5