Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Chinese Internment Camps/Treatment of Uighurs

• Start Topic

Main topic:  Eyelashes or Chinese internment camps and the treatment of the Uighur minority population

Other topics: Portland protests and federal policing; Martha Stewart on lock down (wine, wine, gin, wine, gin, gin, gin, gin ...); people not saying masturbate 

Original air date 2020.07.26

Not a fun episode, even if your DVR cut off right after Martha Stewart Quarantined. Fox News ginning up the events in Portland is par for the course. The abhorrent situation with the Uighur people can’t be slapped with a happy face to make it better. Or a scarf-wearing cactus, for that matter.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not that the Uighur situation isn't abhorrent, but the situation in Portland deserved the attention of the full episode IMO.

Yep.  My outrage meter has been at 11 for quite a while.  The Uighurs will have to get in line.  Can't do much about them if we lose democracy in freakin' America!

The Martha Stewart and "masturbate" bits were absolutely hilarious. 

• Love 4

Still no Eratica. Really disappointing.

I was actually reading the list at Fox news (mostly because their texts tend to be hilariously inaccurate), and was already laughing when he pointed out that all those incidences were mostly about graffiti. Next they will call for a ban on spray cans! While still advocating against gun control, naturally.

Yeah, the Martha Steward segment left me with one thought: This woman apparently spends her time with the worst people possible.

Shoot out to the eyelash girl! That was savage! (btw, I have survived just fine with a eye lash curler so far and I don't intend to change this. Also, I will never see a camel with the same eyes again).

The main segment was sobering, and frankly, I don't mind at all that he focussed on this over Portland, mostly because Portland has been covered extensively, but the Chinese Internment camps haven't. And honestly, if we are seeing the end of a culture, unable to help them, the very least we owe them is to watch and remember.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My favorite part of the Martha Stewart bit was her revelation that the only good thing about her honeymoon was finding that one rolling pin. Okay, then!

That and, “Wine, gin, gin, wine..” were hilarious!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Gin, wine, gin, gin, wine, wine, gin, wine, gin, gin gin - I want to party with Martha!

Mask debate - there shouldn't be one, but still, hilarious segment.

I will also give eyelash girl a shout out. I love that people are using the internet to get important messages out in the guise of something more frivolous. And on a frivolous note, having been blessed with long lashes but cursed with ones that have little curl, I've used Shu Uemura eyelash curlers for decades. I have one in my purse at all times.

Main story was of course appalling. That poor mother, I just wanted to reach through the tv and hug her - and her daughter saying she told her to hide her tears - just heartbreaking.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

That poor mother, I just wanted to reach through the tv and hug her - and her daughter saying she told her to hide her tears - just heartbreaking.

Oh, god, yes. That was painful :(. 

(edited)

The mother with her daughter was heart-breaking, but what really got to me was "If you're happy and you know it say "yes sir". That's just creepy!

Edited by swanpride
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, swanpride said:

The mother with her daughter was heart-breaking, but what really got to me was "If you're happy and you know say "yes sir". That's just creepy!

YES. Seriously, what the hell

On a sorta-related note, another thing about this episode: I now know the general plot of Minority Report :p. Kudos to John for rattling off that entire synopsis without stumbling over his words. 

• Love 4

Intern camps.  Worker camps.  We’ve seen this before. But I guess no one will do anything since China isn’t invading other countries. 

I thought we’d get more Portland coverage too.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Intern camps.  Worker camps.  We’ve seen this before. But I guess no one will do anything since China isn’t invading other countries. 

They didn’t do anything when China invaded Tibet.  

• Love 3
On 7/27/2020 at 4:07 PM, swanpride said:

The main segment was sobering, and frankly, I don't mind at all that he focussed on this over Portland, mostly because Portland has been covered extensively, but the Chinese Internment camps haven't. And honestly, if we are seeing the end of a culture, unable to help them, the very least we owe them is to watch and remember.

I knew about this already, and have been angry about it and our POTUS saying it was such a great thing to do (!)!)!)!), but I agree, if we can't stop it (and I try hard not to buy things in those supply chains if I can figure out that they came from--though that is REALLY hard to do--at the very very least, we can stand witness.  

• Love 4