Type keyword(s) to search

The Great But Abbreviated GG Rewatch!

• Start Topic

Is anyone up for a really casual, random rewatch?! I know that taking on the entire series is way too ambitious, so maybe we could just have each participant nominate a couple of favorites and/or do a few 'themes' (e.g. best Paris meltdown episodes, episodes where Rory and Lorelai fight and/or reconcile, First Kisses...etc.!) I'm open to any and all suggestions! 

• Love 1

Awesome! So do you guys want to nominate some favorites and/or episodes you think lead to interesting discussions, or try to watch some according to themes, as I lamely suggested above?! :) 

as long as it's not S6 and S7 heavy.

Amen, Sister Friend ;) 

Okay, how about whoever wants to participate just nominates a few they want to rewatch? The episodes can fit into a theme or just be whichever miscellaneous episodes you guys feel like rewatching. Ready, set, nominate :) 

(edited)

*crickets*

...Okay, maybe I'll kick off the nominations :) I'm too lazy and caffeine-deprived to come up with an actual theme, so I'll just pick one from each of the first five seasons. These aren't by any stretch my very favorites, just ones that I think can lead to fun, interesting discussion and/or that I haven't seen in awhile :)

S1: Pilot 

S2: There's the Rub

S3: Lorelai Out of Water (stop laughing at me. You guys may like it more than you remember! No, really, you might! ;) ) 

S4: Chicken or Beef?

S5: Come Home 

Please feel free to nominate your own! 

Edited by mstaken

So we just nominate one from each season that we want to add?  I can do that.

1.  Rory's Birthday Parties

2.  Bracebridge Dinner

3.  Let the Games Begin

4.  The Reigning Lorelai

5.  Diorama

I picked these mostly because I enjoy the eps (even if they're not all on my super-special-favorites list) and I think they can each lead to some good discussion.

• Love 1
3.  Let the Games Begin

I love this one so much----both because it's a personal favorite and because it's such a layered, interesting, discussion-worthy episode :) 

• Love 1

I'll pick some.

Cinnamon's Wake (I bet you thought I'd pick Forgiveness and Stuff)

Dead Uncles 

They Shoot Gilmores 

I've just finished with four so I can discuss without rewatching.

And I'm actually watching Season Five now (i'm up to You Jump Jack)

• Love 1
Cinnamon's Wake

I'm actually weirdly excited to rewatch this one. I usually skip it and am hoping to enjoy it more than I remember! 

I've just finished with four so I can discuss without rewatching.

Feel free to pick any S4 and S5 episode you want to discuss without rewatching :) 

I'm inspired by our chat on the Ep Elim thread to change Back in the saddle to There's the Rub. Any objections?! 

I'm hoping a couple of other people join us. This should be a lot of fun! 

5.  Diorama

I wouldn't rewatch this episode if I didn't adore you ;) 

Diorama was one of my absolute least favorites when I first watched it, but I appreciate it more each time I rewatch it.  I mean, it'll never be a top 10 episode, but it isn't as bad as it initially seemed. :)

I think it might be fun to nominate based on themes. 

I'll start with Emily and Lorelai's complex relationship:

Season 1: Rory's Dance

Season 2: There's the Rub or Like Mother, Like Daughter

Season 3:Dear Emily and Richard or Happy Birthday, Baby

Season 4: Ballrooms and Biscotti

Season 5: So.... Good Talk

Seasons 6 and 7 have been magically erased from the Gilmore Girls archives. ;)

Okay, so here are the episodes we have so far:

S1: Pilot, Cinnamon's Wake, Rory's Birthday Parties, Rory's Dance

S2: Like Mother, Like Daughter (@deaja I'll never protest watching this one again...and again. It's one of my all-time favorite hours of TV!), Bracebridge Dinner, There's the Rub, Dead Uncles and Vegetables

S3: They Shoot Gilmores (it'll be my 12 zillionth time watching this...and somehow I'm still excited!), Let the Games Begin, Lorelai Out of water, Dear Emily and Richard

S4: Ballrooms and Biscotti, Chicken or Beef?, The Reigning Lorelai 

S5: Come Home, So...Good Talk (@deaja I'm always happily surprised all over again by how much I like this one!), Diorama 

Everyone should feel free to chime in with another couple of episodes from any season that you feel like watching! 

(edited)

I nominate... too many more?

S1: Emily in Wonderland (love the closing scenes of this one so much, I could talk about them all day...)

S2: Help Wanted 

S4: Family Matters (I always find this ep fascinating)

Raincoats and Recipes (I just watched this the other day and was struck by how much I love almost the entire first 40 minutes of this ep, and then, wow, it kind of all goes kaboom....)

S5: Blame Booze and Melville (Hate the yacht stealing as much as the next fan, but I find the Mitchum/Rory convo and her reaction fascinating, on all sorts of levels)

S6: Friday Night's Alright for Fighting (there's not a complete ban on season 6 and 7, right? So many things going on in this ep, not just that final wild FND)

S7: Lorelai, Lorelai (when this came up in the ABCFam rota a few months back, it made me think about the characters and their arcs, a lot)

Bon Voyage (I think if we're going to discuss the pilot, we should discuss the finale!)

Edited by eledgy
  • Love 1

Once you guys figure out all the episodes and maybe a schedule, I could help you pin the post in this topic and pin the whole topic on the main forum page. I'll be joining in as well for some episodes because I haven't watched a lot of the earlier eps since they aired live.

• Love 1

Agreed, lulu! So maybe we should eliminate some of the nominees? Or...ugh, I'm a disaster at organizing these things, so anyone who has a talent for schedule-making should feel free to step up! :) 

Well let's not eliminate. Just how ever long it takes it takes. If there is a day that everyone wants to start shout it out. How about we do two a week and we start with Season One.

Pilot

Cinnamon's Wake

Rory's Birthday Parties

Rory's Dance

Emily In Wonderland

Okay, sounds perfect. So we'll start discussing Pilot and Cinnamom's Wake next Wednesday. The Wednesday after that we can plan to chat about Rory's Birthday Parties and Rory's Dance. If we end up moving either faster or slower than planned, we'll just modify as we go along :) 

• Love 1

...I'm so happy that you guys suggested rewatching Cinnamon's Wake. It's not a special favorite of mine, but I liked it so much more than I'd remembered and was left with that slightly giddy, wish-I-lived-in-SH feeling :) I'll save the rest of my rambling for the official rewatch!

• Love 1

Welcome to the rewatch! Whether you've just watched the Pilot and/or Cinnamon's Wake for the first time or fiftieth (*looks guiltily in the mirror*), I hope it was an enjoyable viewing experience. 

Did these episodes strike you as better or worse than you'd remembered? What were your favorite and least favorite scenes? Were there any lines or character moments that jumped out at you? 

I just found myself loving Rory so much more in Cinnamon's Wake. I loved her deeper voice, I loved her awkwardness. I even thought Alexis acted better and more natural.

It was funny everyone's voices seemed different. Lorelai/Lauren's voice felt more natural to me too. Even Sookie/Melissa had a different tone. 

To this day my favorite scenes are between Lorelai and Babette in the kitchen. There is such a genuine warmth and caring between them.

You could tell at this point that Luke/Scott was still developing his character. It also felt like Sookie and Luke had a history of having knowing each other for a long time. I know as the series progressed it became less obvious. 

Still a bit jarring to see Kirk acting like he didn't know Miss Patty when we see how they do a bit of revisionist history later on.

I had no issues with Dean and thought he was a cutie. 

I think if Max wasn't Rory's teacher I wouldn't have had an issue. I had no problem with him as a person and I actually like Scott Cohen the actor. I felt they had a connection and if you pay attention he's subtly rubbing her arm in the coffeeshop. That was kinda cute.

The whole feeling of the episode was warm and fuzzy.

ASP and her reusing actors HeeHaw Man/Henry the guy from the Ren Faire.

• Love 1
It was funny everyone's voices seemed different. Lorelai/Lauren's voice felt more natural to me too. Even Sookie/Melissa had a different tone.

I was totally noticing this as well! 

I loved her deeper voice, I loved her awkwardness. I even thought Alexis acted better and more natural.

ITA! I'm always happily surprised all over again by just how much I love S1 Rory. She had a quiet independence and sharpness that faded slowly but surely in subsequent seasons, and I agree that AB's natural awkwardness was a perfect fit for this somewhat socially uncomfortable yet still sneakily self-aware character. 

Overall, I love the Pilot more than Cinnamon's Wake, though CW was better than I'd remembered. Typically clunky Pilot-itis aside, I actually think it's a surprisingly good episode and a terrific introduction to the characters and their dynamics. And, yes, I'm warped enough to love the "Menendez" line ;) Also, while my dislike of Dean is well-documented, I have to admit that I find him somewhat appealing in the pilot and less appealing, though still not hate-worthy, in Cinnamon's Wake. Alas, smarmy, pompous, dull Max does not improve for me with repeated viewings! 

You could tell at this point that Luke/Scott was still developing his character.

Weirdly enough, I feel like they had a better handle on Luke's character in the Pilot than a few episodes later in Cinnamon's Wake. 

I can't get over how wonderful the Lorelai-Sookie friendship is in S1, and this is coming from someone who's somewhat critical of Sookie in later seasons. They really do have a sweet and totally believable BFF-y connection, for lack of a better way of putting it! 

Pilot - Such a great introduction to all of the people we come to love!  Since my daughter is only a couple of months younger than Rory is right now, it's especially neat watching the show through the eyes of a mother of a girl that age.  Rory is so awesomely awkward right now, I love it.

The little Sookie's-so-clumsy-and-reckless dance they do is funny, but it gets ridiculous pretty quick.  Her spinning around and conking the guy over the head with the skillet does make me laugh though.

Still hate Drella.

Still love Michel.  "People are particularly stupid today.  I cannot talk to any more of them."

Lane and Mrs. Kim.....heheheheheh.  Love them so much.

Richard:  "So, you need money."  He knows Lorelai so well.

I know it's a plot point, but I find it really hard to believe that Lorelai wouldn't have even checked to see how much it would cost to send Rory to Chilton.  It makes her look really irresponsible and flighty.

Sookie's relationship with Rory is always so sweet and cute.

I don't hate Dean yet.

Cinnamon's Wake - Love that we get the insight into Emily's sharp humor in this one.  "I don't think Claudia's planning to die a second time."  Hee!

Lorelai should have never ever ever agreed to go out with Max.  She knew it was wrong or she wouldn't have had to talk herself into it.  And IMO Rory only said she was okay with it because Lorelai kept on and on about how you couldn't control who you were attracted to and how she really liked him and blah blah blah.

I love Morey and Babette so much.

It's such a small thing, but I love the way Luke holds Babette's arm as she sits down next to Morey while he's playing the piano.  Little things like that are why I love Luke.  He can be a grump, but he genuinely cares about people, you know?  He's a good guy.

Sometimes I think Lorelai just does not know her mother at all.  I can't believe she admitted she was at a cat's wake.  Emily had every right to be upset over that.

• Love 2

Hi! Do you mind if I chime in here for a minute? I haven't had time to rewatch, but two of your points, Taryn, have bugged me as well, and over the years I've come up with explanations I can live with.

I know it's a plot point, but I find it really hard to believe that Lorelai wouldn't have even checked to see how much it would cost to send Rory to Chilton.  It makes her look really irresponsible and flighty.

Lorelai makes a point of saying that she thought she'd be able to set up some sort of payment schedule. Apparently what threw her was Chilton's insistence on getting certain payments immediately. Of course, there's still no excuse about why she wouldn't have looked into that and had some sort of solution ready to go, except that Rory suddenly getting a spot was a complete surprise, and she never dreamed it would come about so quickly. But yes, if this had been their plan for years, to get Rory into a prep school, the money situation should have been already addressed.

Sometimes I think Lorelai just does not know her mother at all.  I can't believe she admitted she was at a cat's wake.  Emily had every right to be upset over that.

I so agree, even though that bit always makes me laugh, especially with the way Rory sees what's happening and tries so hard to get Lorelai to stop! I think, though, that's pure Lorelai. She talks first, thinks later. Especially if what she's going to say is funny. She was in her own world and had already completely forgotten everything Emily had wanted her to do.

I like Luke in this episode, but I never think he really acts like Luke in it. He willingly shows up at Babette & Morey's for the wake, instead of having to be forced to attend. He's sitting on the piano bench, listening to Morey play instead of lurking somewhere off in the corner. Every time I see it, I think he wasn't clear on how to play the character yet. Mstaken, I think you're absolutely right about him in the Pilot vs. Cinnamon's Wake.

And Rory is absolutely adorable in both episodes!

• Love 2

Forgot to comment on something yesterday -

From the Pilot -

Lorelai:  Hey, I had dibs on being the bitch tonight.

Rory:  Just tonight?

Holy!!!  I know this is TV-land and kids talk to their parents like that in TV-land, but wow.  My child would have been picking her teeth back up off the table after a comment like that.

That is all.

• Love 1
Holy!!!  I know this is TV-land and kids talk to their parents like that in TV-land, but wow.  My child would have been picking her teeth back up off the table after a comment like that.

The joys of deciding you'd rather be a "best friend" than a parent. 

Heh.  In fairness, what else could Lorelai have possibly wanted to have shown up at the house unexpectedly on a day the banks were open?   

Just a reminder that Rory's Dance and Emily In Wonderland are next up on our rewatch/re-discuss list! Feel free to start chatting about them by...well, whenever. We're awfully relaxed around here :) Both of these should yield some really interesting discussion, particularly re. the Emily/Lorelai relationship. And I'll try to keep my Dean-related snark to a minimum, but his "Because I'll kill you, you idiot!" to Tristan at the dance is, IMO, both delivered so poorly that it's unintentionally hilarious and an (also unintentional, no doubt!) warning sign of the anger and jealousy issues that would plague him (and most GG males, for that matter!) for the remainder of the series :) 

(edited)

Actually it's Rory's Birthday Parties and Rory's Dance (We have five season one picks.)

Pilot- Watched
Cinnamon's Wake- Watched
Rory's Birthday Parties- Start Discussing Wed. July 30th
Rory's Dance- Start Discussing July 30th
Emily In Wonderland

Edited by lulu1960
(edited)

I actually really disliked the way he said that, so condescending, like Lorelai always came running begging for scraps. Which I don't think she ever did, given how much of a huge deal the whole loan thing was to her. 

These first few eps reminded me of how awful the grandparents could be to Lorelai too - later on I definitely saw that she was not blameless for the whole situation between her and them, but these first eps also make me understand why reconciliation would have been so hard for many years. Richard is just really cold towards her and Emily practically bounces with glee any time she gets Rory to do something she thinks Lorelai would disapprove of. Those two can hold a grudge, Lorelai doesn't get it from nothing!

Edited by KatWay
(edited)
I actually really disliked the way he said that, so condescending, like Lorelai always came running begging for scraps.

During the first run of the show, I felt like this too.  However, thinking about it from Richard and Emily's perspective, I understand Richard's attitude.  For about fifteen years, they have little to no relationship with Lorelai.  She sees them at holidays, but otherwise they have no real contact.  Then, the first time Lorelai comes to their home for a non-perfunctory visit, it isn't because she wants to see them, it's because she wants their money.  The money is for a good cause, but I can see how hurtful that would be to them.

And this isn't to say that Emily and Richard could not have done more prior to the pilot to fix the relationship.  They could and they should have.  I'm just saying I understand why they were cold with Lorelai.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

Wish I knew about this earlier. I'm at the end of season 5 in my rewatch but I'll definitely join the talks!

On the whole "So you need money" thing....I understand it too. At this point they have ZERO relationship with Lorelei and Rory, save for holiday dinners(at least one of which is usually filled with a lot of other people, so I imagine Lorelei avoiding her parents with quite a bit of skill). She comes to them on a random day, what else is Richard supposed to say. Of course, he's sort of a jerk about it. He's an Elder Gilmore after all.

The good thing about the show was that it was never really anyone person to blame for the state of Lorelei's relationship with her parents'. Yes, her parents can be cold and distant at times, but Lorelei could be incedibly hostile and stubborn when it came to her parents and I think during the first 16 years of Rory's life that was incredibly true.

• Love 3

The good thing about the show was that it was never really anyone person to blame for the state of Lorelei's relationship with her parents'. Yes, her parents can be cold and distant at times, but Lorelei could be incedibly hostile and stubborn when it came to her parents and I think during the first 16 years of Rory's life that was incredibly true.

Yep.  As frustrating as the 'one step forward, two (three, five, twenty) steps back' dance they did during the series was, at least they were making some sort of progress.  I definitely got the impression there was NO progress before Rory started Chilton.

Hi everyone! I'm in the final week of an on-line course that's been kicking my butt since the beginning of June. Not only am I thrilled it will soon be done, but I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with my GG dvd's and you all here on this thread!

My GG lurking days began during the last TWoP all-the-way-through the series re-watch--a couple of years ago now I think? I remember cautiously posting a time or two, but mostly I just read. (It was sometime after that when I finally began posting in the other GG threads more regularly.) 

So, I'm excited to be in on a (selected) re-watch from almost the beginning this time! 

• Love 3

Has anyone rewatched Rory's Birthday Parties and/or Rory's Dance yet?  Has your opinion of either episode changed with multiple viewings and the benefit of knowing how the rest of the series unfolds?What were some of your favorite and least favorite scenes? 

(edited)

I always notice in Rory's Birthday Parties there seemed to be a lot more adults verses teenagers. 

How can the ice hug between Luke and Lorelai not be one of my favorite scenes? He did look at her like a Porterhouse steak. Emily was right. I wonder if Emily hadn't made a big deal of it if Lorelai would have done something about it? 

This episode is one of the episodes that confirmed how I don't like Tristan.

I really thought Richard was cute reading about 'his color' "I'm an autum."

This episode was one of the first of many of the one step forward, two steps back between Lorelai and Emily. They kind of have a moment at the mall looking for presents for Rory then at the party at the mansion they get into it. Luckily (for a bit anyway) Emily loosened up at the party at the Crap Shack.

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 3

I enjoyed Rory's Birthday Parties.  I viewed it as being Emily's episode.  She goes through so many emotions sitting in Lorelai's Crap Shack bedroom, and I enjoy her talk with Lorelai, and her later, very sad realization that she doesn't know Lorelai at all. 

I will also say that Lorelai's dress at the Gilmore Birthday Party was awful.  It's like a normal dress with a long amount of sheer material added to the bottom for no purpose.  But maybe that look was in, in 2000/2001. 

What I liked about Rory's Birthday Parties is that Emily was much softer than she was portrayed in later season. Yes, she got irrationally angry at Rory but then she listened to Lorelai - and Lorelai actually talked to her rather than huffing off -- and they did make a bit of progress.