Type keyword(s) to search

The Great But Abbreviated GG Rewatch!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Does anyone have thoughts on Rory's Dance and/or Emily in Wonderland?! If so, feel free to share! And of the five S1 episodes we've seen together so far, which are your favorites/least favorites? Did you enjoy any of the five more or less than you'd recalled? 

The Emily/Lorelai scenes in Rory's Dance, while brilliantly acted and very well written, don't move me quite like they used to. Somehow just knowing that they go through this same two steps forward, six steps back dance and their bond-and-then-fight-immediately routine so very, very, VERY many times throughout the series dilutes the power of those scenes for me. The Emily and Lorelai relationship is complex and and layered and fascinating and in some ways all too relatable...but, for me, it's also become an aspect of the show that can be awfully exhausting. The dance itself was fine, I guess. I thought JP's acting was a little cringe-inducing ("Because I'll KILL you, you idiot!!!") and still just don't see much of a connection between Rory and Dean no matter how hard I try, but parts of it were sweet...and, of course, scenes where Paris is both bitchy and surprisingly vulnerable are always a treat :) And both Dean and Rory falling into a deep sleep at Miss Patty's was one of those clunky, conflict-causing contrivances they seemed to rely on a bit too much in S1, but I guess it's not that out of the realm of possibility.  Overall, Rory's Dance is one of those episodes that I objectively know is quite well done but which I don't subjectively enjoy watching all that much, you know?! And to end this on a very deep note: While AB looked very pretty at the dance, I prefer her hair when it's at least partially down :)

Emily in Wonderland is definitely one of the five or so best S1 episodes (IMO, of course!) Rachel and the Rachel/Luke scenes don't do much for me one way or the other, but the stuff re. Emily trying to connect with Rory and realizing how much she missed of her daughter and granddaughters' lives was beautifully done. Emily calling Rory at Lane's to inquire about the "Backside Boys" never fails to amuse me,  and Emily/Mama Kim meeting is pure gold! (One of my biggest regrets of the series: Not getting to see more scenes with Emily/Mama Kim, Emily/Paris and Mam Kim/Paris!) The final scene where Rory and Lorelai sit on the blanket and gaze at Lorelai's dream inn is an all-time favorite. 

Edited by mstaken

I haven't had time to even think about watching these yet, so sorry!!!  I'm getting my Jamberry sales going and Dana's had two volleyball practices a day and Nathan one football practice a day, and it's just been nuts.

Managed to sit down with Rory's Birthday Parties today.  This is such a good ep.  Lorelai and Emily actually trying, plenty of humor, just enough of the townies....it's all great.

I hadn't really noticed during my rewatches before, but right now they are really pushing the point that Luke and Lorelai hadn't been all that close before now.  It sounded like this was the first time Luke had been invited to one of Rory's parties.

I still don't hate Dean yet, but I feel the twinges starting.  Rory was SO CUTE when he came into the diner though, all shy and blushy.  I love BabyFace Rory.

Sookie is the perfect best friend.  She really knows what to say in every situation, you know?  She's just so great.

I don't remember who said it or what thread it was in, but Lorelai's fancy party dress really was hideous.  The top of it was pretty, but the bottom just looked like someone had thrown random bits of fabric together in the vague shape of a skirt.

Tristan was so funny.  "Wow, meeting your mom.  It's a bit sudden, but okay."  He handled himself well being introduced to Richard, too.  I know that kind of thing doesn't impress the Gilmore girls, heh, but it does me.

The caterer behind Emily during her fight with Lorelai makes me laugh.  She was obviously eavesdropping (not that they were being at all quiet) but was trying not to noticeably react.

I don't think that Rory would have hated the gifts that Emily was picking out - well, maybe that blue hat.  But I could see her wearing a sweater set, pearls, liking the fancy pen.  Sometimes I think Lorelai didn't know Rory as well as she assumed she did.  But maybe that was the point the final scene (with Dean giving her the bracelet) was supposed to imply.

"I....am an autumn."  Richard is so great.

• Love 2

As far as Luke attending Rory's parties. Well later on we know that he at least heard about the one where the cops were called.(Third Grade?) Also with revisionist history he apparently was giving her gifts for all her birthdays.

• Love 2

Rory's Dance.

They really laid it on thick with Paris in the beginning of the show, didn't they?  Not that she ever really "mellowed" or anything, heh, but she was just so combative in the early episodes, and without real cause.

Does anyone else find it a little unbelievable that Paris' cousin Jacob would have been hitting on Rory rather than someone who looked a little more ...accommodating... such as Louise, or Tristan's date?  That just screamed plot point to me.

Speaking of Tristan's date, they really should have shot her scenes from the front.  All I could see in profile was her very prominent forehead.  That sounds nasty of me, sorry, but wow.

Emily is so snarktastic.  "Maybe I could make a flip book out of them."  Heeeee.

How do you sleep for 5 - 6 hours in a straight back chair?  Emily must have been really exhausted.

I liked Rory's dress but I really didn't think it was worthy of all the fussing over it.

Rory and Lane are so cute in this one!  I love watching them be silly, giggling girls together.

DEAN: So are you asking me to go to the dance with you?

RORY: No. Yes. I mean, if you wanted to go, I would go too.

Hee!  Awkward Rory rocks my world.

Emily in Wonderland - I had totally forgotten that Rachel was in this one.  I do like her, but I have yet to see any kind of spark between her and Luke.  It's just not there.

Love Emily and Mrs. Kim together.  They're great.

Lane moping over Henry - so perfectly teenager-y.

Great episode.  I would say more but I feel like anything I might have to say about it, I've hounded the points already before so I think I'll just leave it at that.

OK, I know that there is no appropriate place to put this but I have to share my despair. I have been treating myself to recording from ABC Family and watching when I come home from work.  Sadly, yesterday April came on the scene so I am done.  I just can't watch knowing now things will rapidly unravel until things ultimately careen downhill.

Sigh. 

• Love 1

I record it from ABC Family, and have just watched the episode in which Rory hosts the DAR event, and Emily and Richard argue with Logan's parents. That, and the episode with Sores and Boils Alley, and Kirk's performance art at Miss Patty's little show.

Reading back: I loved Cinnamon's Wake. It was so great that the whole town turned out for the wake.

My favourite part was first, when Babette said she knocked Cinnamon off the couch, was it? And the cat slid across the floor. That had me *rolling* with laughter. Then Rory, walking with Lane:

Lane: "Did you laugh?"

Rory: *shakes head*

Lane: "Did you want to?"

Rory: *nods*

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

OK, I know that there is no appropriate place to put this but I have to share my despair. I have been treating myself to recording from ABC Family and watching when I come home from work.  Sadly, yesterday April came on the scene so I am done.  I just can't watch knowing now things will rapidly unravel until things ultimately careen downhill.

Sigh. 

I know how you feel. I thought I would try to watch the second half of S6 to see if it's as bad as I remember but I had to stop. GG pre-S6 used to make me happy but watching those episodes just make me depressed and there's too much bad news in the world to watch sad depressing TV. 

• Love 2

I have to wonder if that's why ABC Family is airing two episodes a day - get us past the wretched seasons and back to the ones we enjoy.

I think it's because Netflix has bought the rights to it... so ABC Family might not be able to show it after October 1st.

I was letting the ABC Family episodes pile up on my tivo, but unless something malfunctioned, I went from Friday Night's Alright For Fighting (6:13?) to Makin Whoopie (7:02?).

I've seen the episodes between those times enough that I'm not terribly upset (also they are pretty uniformly bad), but I am really confused.

Yes, ITA! I find it much easier to watch these episodes now that Lorelai and Christopher are heading downhill. :)

While I never wanted L/C to stay together I thought Emily's advice to Lorelai at the end of Merry Fisticuffs on marriage was smart and quite restrained. It was nice to see her trying to be actually helpful and not just lashing out at Lorelai.

• Love 1

Not sure this is the correct spot for this but apparently having GG on Netflix is no changing the ABC Family schedule.  Looking forward a couple of weeks, ABC Family is still showing 2 episodes a day.  But on Netflix we can avoid shortened scenes AND commercials.

Nolieblue, I just watched 6.11 The Perfect Dress, and I share your sentiments about S6H2. My poor hubby was sitting next to me while I watched it. After I pointed out things that bugged me several times, I gave him the freedom to just grunt in acknowledgement rather than try to have a conversation about this episode with a crazy woman. ;)

Still working through Season 6, and looking for the best in the post-April introduction.

There are some remarkably stupid story line subplots. Particulary annoying subplots include

• changing the street names
  • Rory inviting her mother but not Luke, when she and Emily were talking about Rory's friends "plus ones"
  • The Madeleine Albright bit is creepy IMO
  • The Perfect Dress felt clunky, there was no reason to not bring up April; just one of the many times it should have been handled

On the bright side, I breathed a sigh of relief during You've Been Gilmored. It was great to see L&L talking like they were comfortable together and relying on each other.

Even though I find Vineyard Valentine awkward at best, the "let's elope" moment really works. I imagine that would come up again after 7.22, when it's clear that Rory won't be able to plan time to come for a pre-planned wedding. Those 5 minutes are definitely worth fast-forwarding for.

Sadly, they couldn't eliminate one last kick in the literal pants with the unfortunate lighting on the bed at breakfast. You'd think the director would have let Luke move his legs just enough to eliminate the "oops, just had a little accident" image. LOL

GG615-00929.jpg

• Love 1

Just watched 6.22, Partings. It was easier to watch Lorelai's ultimatum to Luke when I kept in mind that Lorelai did what the psychiatrist recommended, but in the worst possible way for Luke.

The psychologist recommended that Lorelai ask for what she wanted, but she gave the ultimatum, which reminded me of Jess every time he tried to communicate with Rory. Always ultimatums. Were there any ultimatums which a character accepted in this show?

Luke certainly didn't help matters at all, but I personally lay most of the blame on Lorelai. Luke failed to carry out his side of the communication by not even trying to bend.

Christopher, however, I found to be totally despicable. At the dinner, he followed Lorelai to the bathroom on a pretense of a signal that she didn't send. Creepily, during their discussion, he rubbed Lorelai's arm in such a way that made me think he was hitting on her.

That set the stage for Lorelai making the biggest mistake of her life by going to Christopher after the failed ultimatum.

Of course, we do get to see Lorelai finally grow out of her selfiness to at least a certain extent in Season 7. It still makes me sad when people do stupid things that cause so much pain.

My emotions were primed, though, when Logan said goodbye to Rory on the morning he left. I cried at their little interaction. Too bad Logan gave a proposal ultimatum the next year. I think he had the potential to grow enough to make a good marriage with her.

Feeling so sad at the end of this episode, I decided to go ahead and start watching Season 7, however, I accidentally put disc 6 in instead of disc one, and watched 7.21, Unto the Breach. The interaction between Luke and Lorelai at night while Kirk is in his acrylic box is so sad, seeing their emotional shields up.

Rory made the right decision about the engagement, I believe. I still give them a post-series chance.

• Love 1

Just watched Christopher Returns today and realized how toxic their relationship really was from the beginning.  Every time there was conflict the L&C solution was to have sex.  After the terrible confrontation at the elder Gilmore pad they just validated all of the nasty remarks by his parents having a quickie on the balcony.  I don't see chemistry there, I see two very immature people giving in to high school level hormones.  And then Christopher pops the question the next day - so teen boy "no filters" at work.  Just blurt out whatever you want to say as long as it involves a roll in the hay.  At least Lorelai had the sense to turn him down flat - this time.  

But we know the pattern will continue - first the sex (the night before Sookie's wedding and after the Luke breakup) and then acting like a long term relationship will somehow work.  Sex is rarely a good foundation for a solid lifetime.  

• Love 3

Interesting observations, Kohola, I see Lorelai behaving the same way with Max. Sex makes her think they should try again for a relationship. And her last few encounters with Max, it seemed like she was just testing to see if he was still attached. A sad way for an adult to behave regularly.

I also wonder how much Lorelai's perception of her mother drove this behavior. She made a weak attempt to address it when she experimented with her hairstyle and tasted Pop-Tarts, but it didn't seem to lead to lasting change. Poor Lorelai.

Her ersatz mother, Mia, seemed to be quite stable, though. Wonder why more of Mia didn't rub off on Lorelai.

• Love 1

I'm rewatching primarily as research for my fanfics, which translates to S4-S5 at the moment. For my post-series fanfic I'm rewatching S1 primarily because I love the characterization of S1 Lorelai and Emily best.

I'm up for a themed group rewatch.

Some brainstormed themes:

• Paris/Rory relationship
  • best townie episodes
  • ???
  • Love 1

I could do any and all of those themes, Junie! I'm trying my hand at fanfic (wish me luck!) and am watching in part for fanfic-related reasons as well, so we can offer each other insights and support along the way :) 

We can also just have everyone who's participating nominate a couple of favorites from each season...? 

I'll nominate one from each season as a sample, many of which end up fitting at least a couple of themes anyway: 

1) Rory's Birthday Parties (so much here to analyze and discuss about virtually every character!) 

2) There's the Rub (parts drive me crazy, but even those parts yield some interesting conversation! And I love the Paris/Rory stuff here) 

3) Let the Games Begin (so much rich parent-child stuff in this episode) 

4)  An Affair to Remember---an easily overlooked episode with some of my favorite Lorelai/Emily scenes of the series and some insights into Rory's character that prove especially relevant later on!

5) But I'm a Gilmore---because I never, ever rewatch it and even the title makes me cringe, but since I've started finding Logan and Logan/Rory more interesting think this one could yield some really interesting insights. 

6) Driving Miss Gilmore 

7) Hay Bale Maze---I love parts of this one and cringe at other aspects of it...you guys can help me sort through my conflicted feelings about this one ;) 

I could do any and all of those themes, Junie! I'm trying my hand at fanfic (wish me luck!) and am watching in part for fanfic-related reasons as well, so we can offer each other insights and support along the way :) 

We can also just have everyone who's participating nominate a couple of favorites from each season...? 

I'll nominate one from each season as a sample, many of which end up fitting at least a couple of themes anyway: 

1) Rory's Birthday Parties (so much here to analyze and discuss about virtually every character!) 

ASF, I'm so glad you're dabbling in fanfic. GG is my first attempt, and I find it hugely entertaining. If you decide to write and want a beta reader, let me know, I'd be happy to do it. When you get deep enough into your story, the characters start telling YOU what they're doing. That's how I fell in love with Jess and Patty as a pair.

Also, note to everyone: there's a GG fanfic discussion going on over at Lumpy Potatoes. The best authors are there, like Eledgy, Fishbag, DFC and more.

About the rewatch, how about this:

Everyone who wants to nominates an episode or two from each season, then we'll have open discussion season by season?

Some tickler questions could be 

• what you liked or didn't like
  • what might make this an interesting fanfic topic
  • what you would have preferred to see happen 

Here's ASF's list and mine combined (I deliberately chose episodes I think I hate, so I can find things to love in them).

Add your own to the list!

1) Rory's Birthday Parties

Paris is Burning

2) There's the Rub

Back In the Saddle Again

3) Let the Games Begin

Face-Off

4)  An Affair to Remember

The Reigning Lorelai

5) But I'm a Gilmore

A Messenger, Nothing More

6) Driving Miss Gilmore

Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out

7) Hay Bale Maze

The Great Stink

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 1
ASF, I'm so glad you're dabbling in fanfic. GG is my first attempt, and I find it hugely entertaining. If you decide to write and want a beta reader, let me know, I'd be happy to do it

Thank you so much for the support! 

That's how I fell in love with Jess and Patty as a pair.

Ha! I need to hear more...care to meet me over in the fanfic thread?! 

About the rewatch, how about this:

Everyone who wants to nominates an episode or two from each season, then we'll have open discussion season by season?
Some tickler questions could be
what you liked or didn't like
what might make this an interesting fanfic topic
what you would have preferred to see happen

Perfect!

Back In the Saddle Again

I have a bizarre fondness for this episode and am psyched to see it again. 

The Great Stink

I know you're a Logan/Rory fan, so I can already tell you that I think/hope there are a couple of scenes in this one that you're really going to like :) 

I hope others join us! If not, we can each nominate 1-2 more from each season and delve in next week or so. 

Junie, I'm thinking we should start next week?! Hopefully others will leap in to join us. I'll happily devour Rory's Birthday Parties within the next few days with your awesome questions in mind:

1. what you liked or didn't like
2. what might make this an interesting fanfic topic
3. what you would have preferred to see happen

I'm on my first rewatch, ever!

I watched the Season 3 premiere and Lorelai woke up to a bunch of alarm clocks and was preggers with Luke's twins.  I was like Zuh?  How did I miss a half season or so?

Then of course it was revealed to be a damn dream sequence...

• Love 2

Junie, I'm thinking we should start next week?! Hopefully others will leap in to join us. I'll happily devour Rory's Birthday Parties within the next few days with your awesome questions in mind:

I'm in! Rory's BD it is. 

Please take your time, but I actually just rewatched RBP and want to ramble my thoughts are still fresh in my weird little mind:

What I liked:

Well...pretty much everything ;) I've seen this episode an absurd number of times and still find myself totally engaged each and every time. This isn't among my top five personal favorites (though it's almost certainly in the top 10-15!), but it's probably among the five episodes I think of as most quintessentially GG and most illustrative of the characters, their relationships with one another, and the show's ability to draw such poignancy and humor from commonplace, relatable events.  

On a related note, I really love the "pudding" stuff and all it symbolizes. 

The thawing of Rory and Paris' rivalry is realistically subtle and so perfectly done in this episode! It's not like they're magically going from enemies to exchanging BFF lockets, but you can just see the ice starting to thaw and Paris trying hard to make things friendlier between them when she tells Rory that it was a "nice party." 

I love Luke's celebratory coffee cake---such a lovely gesture, yet not presented in a goopily sentimental way that would feel totally out of character.

It was interesting to see Rory venting to Lane about Emily's party since she was understandably reluctant to disrupt the newly acquired harmony between Lorelai and Emily. (Little did the poor girl know that the writers would have Emily and Lorelai's relationship regress about 10 times per season anyway!) Is this one of the only instances during early seasons of Rory confiding to Lane before/instead of Lorelai? Other than kissing Dean, of course :) 

This is the Emily I really find compelling and fascinating: snotty and prickly and judgmental and rigid, yet vulnerable and so very eager---in her own, often misguided way---to connect with her daughter and granddaughter. 

I've complained in other threads about the way the show handled class and lifestyle differences, but in this episode the differences between the Gilmores' parties is just so perfectly illustrative of who the women are and how they choose to live. 

Tristan: such a jerk...yet somehow so amusing and entertaining to me anyway. :) I can't begin to defend it, but I just like the edgy, snarky energy he brings to an otherwise borderline excessively 'precious' first season and the sharpness he brings out in Rory. 

Awww, the climbing into bed at the time of her birth scene! It's borderline a little too much for me, but there's just enough snark there to cut through the cutesy sweetness, so I end up adoring it :) 

I like Lorelai's exuberant reaction to Luke and his welcome bags of ice, but ever since someone here remarked that her hug felt a little excessive and out of character for their friendship, I can't quite get that out of my head! 

Richard is an autumn!!!! 

The final scene is interesting---not because I care about Dean (you guys know all too well by now how I feel about him!), but because Lorelai feeling excluded from and apprehensive about Rory's romantic relationships emerges as such a theme throughout the series. 

Favorite lines:

"The government will close that day. Flags will fly at half-mast. Barbra Streisand will give her final concert...again. Now, the Pope has previous plans, but he's trying to get out of them. However, Elvis and Jim Morrison are coming and they're bringing chips."

Lorelai to Michel: "Oh, hey, Rory's birthday party is Saturday night so start thinking up reasons why you can't come." 

"No, Mom, I'm shopping for Rory. You're shopping for your imaginary granddaughter, Barbara Hutton."

"That was a pretty 'Freaky Friday' moment we had back there."

I'd love to see an elderly Lorelai and/or Rory looking back on what turned out to be their five most pivotal and memorable birthdays.

The scene between Lorelai and Emily in her bedroom, where she explains the broken leg that Emily never knew about, could inspire more stories from the stage of Lorelai's life where she and Emily barely spoke. 

Java Junkies could be all over the fact that Emily notices the connection between Lorelai and Luke. (I'm always surprised all over again at how blatant all the 'they like each other and everyone, including even L/l themselves, knows it!' stuff is throughout the first season...despite the presence of Max and then Rachel, it seems a lot more at the forefront in S1 than throughout S2-S3.) 

Hmmm...you know, I think my only real complaint here is one I have about most S1 episodes: some of the scenes are just a little too long and spell-it-all-out unsubtle as compared to S2-S4. I don't have any real complaints about the storylines, though. I could see wishing that Rory had spoken up sooner about why she was unhappy with Emily throwing her a party, but that wouldn't be our somewhat insecure, people pleasing Rory :) 

I hope others stop by to share their thoughts! 

• Love 2

I like Lorelai's exuberant reaction to Luke and his welcome bags of ice, but ever since someone here remarked that her hug felt a little excessive and out of character for their friendship, I can't quite get that out of my head! 

Is it possible Lorelai was supposed to be a bit buzzed?
  • Love 1

Lorelai is naturally ebullient, and that behavior would be consistent with S1 Lorelai and Luke at a party, but she toasted Rory with a tall glass of sangria and served the same color sangria to her parents, even after her mother had asked for vodka.

It's perfectly possible that she was buzzed, but I think she would have hugged anyone who saved her a trip to get ice, with or without a buzz.

Very true. I hope I didn't give the impression that the hug bothered me---it's actually quite nice. It's just that they're not usually physically affectionate, so it stood out to me as one of a zillion thoughts I wasted far too much time typing out in the above post :) I hope others chime in! 

Please take your time, but I actually just rewatched RBP and want to ramble my thoughts are still fresh in my weird little mind:

snipped out awesome response by ASF

My general opinion - what ASF just said.

Here are a handful of fanfiction ideas, (feel free to use anything that's interesting, it's just a brainstorm on my part)

• Lorelai makes Emily a quilt out of her and Rory's clothes
  • Emily starts a project to get to know Lorelai better
  • Lots and lots of smut with Luke  ;)
  • Rory or Lorelai have a health issue that Lorelai WOULD tell Emily about
  • Somebody gets too drunk, I vote for Michel
  • Lorelai interrupts Dean and Rory on purpose or by accident
  • After Emily and Richard are dead, disposition of the post-it noted items, toss Marilyn in the mix
  • Anything with the title Rasquat Pie
  • Telling the birth story over the years, and the different ways Lorelai does it
  • Tristan turns nice in order to get close to Rory, and her grandparents promote it
  • Emily sets expectations of Rory as hostess and makes her prepare for it
  • Another interaction with Mitzi
  • A story about the dollhouse
  • A flashback story of Lorelai pregnant but no one knowing yet

0106-rory-bday-balloon.jpg

• Love 1

A little more from me...

It bugged me that Lorelai made a big deal of Emily getting Rory a cheap gift while she got her a ridiculously expensive computer. Rory would have appreciated some nice expensive thing like a cell phone or a TV or a book set. 

See previous message. 

• Luke's gift to Rory, some lovely unicorn thing
  • Jackson attending, hard to imagine Sookie not bringing him
  • Luke not dropping off the face of the planet after delivering the ice
Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 1
Lorelai makes Emily a quilt out of her and Rory's clothes

Awww! This is awesome! 

Another interaction with Mitzi

Yeah, I was totally thinking about wanting to see more of who Lorelai was pre-pregnancy and how she might have turned out if she hadn't had Rory at such a young age. 

A story about the dollhouse

Yes, please! 

Jackson attending, hard to imagine Sookie not bringing him

Nice catch---I never even noticed that! 

Should we start chatting about Paris is Burning by the end of this week? Warning: I enjoy this episode a bit more than most fans do. And I already know that one of my fantasy/fanfic ideas is that this is the last time we ever see Max :) 

• Love 1

Here are a handful of fanfiction ideas, (feel free to use anything that's interesting, it's just a brainstorm on my part)

[*]Lots and lots of smut with Luke  ;)

It could involve all the wonderfully naughty things you can do with ice ;)
  • Love 1

Now we're up to Paris is Burning!

The questions:

• I don't like MeanGirl Lorelai (when she's around Max). This is a woman who uses sexual innuendos around her daughter, yet has a rule that the daughter can't see the boyfriend as he comes to pick her up. Then she breaks that rule for her own convenience. It's a silly rule for Max anyway, because Rory already sees him five days a week.
  • I do like Lorelai at the refrigerator cleaning. She and Rory have a lovely conversation. Very good classic GG.
  • This episode's Luke is hot hot hot. I'd be singing Ricky Martin around him in this episode. Livin' la vida loca. :)
  • Also love Lorelai's skating outfit. Cute!

• Rory has a sleepover at Paris' while the divorce is going on
  • Max really does get fired, and with his petulant nature, blames Lorelai
  • The true story of Skippy's Revenge
  • Emily's experience as she hears about Lorelai kissing Max from her friends

• Emily invites Christopher to Parents' Day
  • That Lorelai would have defended her gut feel that she was done with Max instead of allowing Sookie to convince her it's just her fear of getting hurt. It could have been really good for Lorelai to dump Max and would have plenty of time to run into some other willing victim before her magical Barbie princess wedding at the end of the season.
  • More Emily. Just a bigger part somehow
Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 1

Fabulous observations, Junie---as per usual! 

I actually like this episode more than most do. There are definitely at least a handful of S1 episodes that bug me a lot more :) 

What I liked: 

The teaser. 

LG's nuanced, really effective acting in the scene where Emily confronts her about Max.

Paris doing such a realistic 'hurt and insecure high school girl' thing and somehow not making me hate her overall because the actress does such a good job of subtly depicting afterwards that she's genuinely remorseful. 

Rory telling Paris she's here if Paris needs anyone to talk to---which Paris, of course, totally doesn't care about yet really, really does :) I love this (almost!) enough to make up for everything I don't love about the episode, actually! 

Rory putting aside her own annoyance to comfort Lorelai in the end, a scene that would be repeated (albeit with regard to different breaksups) a couple of times throughout the series 

A realistically painful, poignant BFF-y moment between Sookie and Lorelai. So much more compelling than when their tension arises from stuff having to do with the inn! 

What I Didn't Like

Too...much...Max. 

This is one of those episodes where Emily really bugs me. 

Speaking of bugging me: Louise really irks me when I rewatch.

I'm usually a big fan of how powerfully and poignantly GG writes breakup scenes, but this one with Max leaves me utterly indifferent. Maybe it's because I know he's coming back in the near future, but I think it's more just that I never cared about him or bought any sort of connection between him and Lorelai to begin with. 

Rory has a sleepover at Paris' while the divorce is going on
Max really does get fired, and with his petulant nature, blames Lorelai
The true story of Skippy's Revenge
Emily's experience as she hears about Lorelai kissing Max from her friends

Oh my gosh---these are perfect!!! 

A couple of additional, markedly lamer ideas: 

A glimpse of Emily fiercely sticking up for Lorelai to the petty biddies who gossip about her despite her own annoyance with Lorelai. I always liked the idea that while Emily certainly had no qualms about voicing her criticisms of her daughter, heaven help anyone outside the family who dared to do so :) 

A look at how Lorelai is reflecting on her bumpy history as a pet owner just before buying Paul Anka and wondering if she's grown and matured since then. 

Paris scrambling around to stop the rumor she'd started despite realizing it's too late to do so. It's interesting when control freaks learn that some things can't be reversed and undone!  

Question for you guys:

1. Do you think you'd like this one more if it had signified the permanent end of Lorelai's relationship with Max? 

2. Do you think Emily was that aghast that Lorelai was dating Lorelai's teacher---or really that Lorelai had a relationship she knew nothing about, once again reminding Emily of how Lorelai shuts her out of her life?! (Not that Emily's reactions would exactly encourage someone tp be more forthcoming, of course...it's a vicious cycle!) 

1. Do you think you'd like this one more if it had signified the permanent end of Lorelai's relationship with Max? 

2. Do you think Emily was that aghast that Lorelai was dating Lorelai's teacher---or really that Lorelai had a relationship she knew nothing about, once again reminding Emily of how Lorelai shuts her out of her life?! (Not that Emily's reactions would exactly encourage someone tp be more forthcoming, of course...it's a vicious cycle!) 

For me, the Max as teacher threatening Rory's reputation at school was over by this time. They could easily have brought in someone more likeable to be a whirlwind romance and get Lorelai engaged this early. Maybe even Christopher. Boy, wouldn't an S1 marriage to Christopher have made for a different S2?

I got the impression that Emily was more bothered by being shut out, probably most bothered by the reputation damage to the Gilmore name, and only somewhat bothered by her dating a teacher.

I'm also a little surprised that they didn't play on the Chilton mom sleeps with a teacher meme to ruin Lorelai's reputation. One more teacher or Chilton parent relationship and Lorelai would have faced a very bad reputation at Chilton. That would have been something to really affect Emily.

• Love 1

I don't really know, honestly; something about Lorelai and Max's relationship always rang false to me, and while I thought LG did a really great job in this episode conveying Lorelai's range of emotions throughout, I just couldn't really buy it when she told Emily that he might have been the love of her life. On the other hand, if I take this episode more as an example of how impulse-driven Lorelai can be, it makes much more sense to me (her whole relationship with Max and all the on-again, off-again stuff makes more sense to me, as well)

• Love 3

This is my first rewatch of GG.

I'm on Season 4.  I'm trying to actually watch it this time (I wrote about skipping a LOT of Season 4 through first watch on another thread) and keeping in mind everyone's positive comments about Diggar, Paris, etc. and it's kind of working.  I'm actually able to watch.

However, I will say, Rory's baby voice is really, really grating on me this time.  Really!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I need something in the background while I do some paperwork so I came to see what ep we're on here.  Paris is Burning, oh yay LOL.  Not.  Maybe I'll see it with fresh eyes since it's been a while?

• Love 1