Type keyword(s) to search

S12.W11 (E49-51)

• Start Topic

Hmm, these big backflips in the Reece story arc are making me dizzy.  Overnight we've gone from confident Reece who could really be a contender (which...yeah nah) to profusely sweating Reece who takes 20 minutes to start cooking a single thing and then makes, as per usual, a tart. 

I'm actually surprised to say this but I'm really glad Laura made it into the top three tonight.  These last few weeks it's seemed like she couldn't do a thing right and Jock seemed to be going out of his way to be extra harsh when judging her food.  And I don't think that's what any viewers wanted. I think we just wanted her to be treated the same as he others, but he went way over that line in my view.  So tonight she cooked good dishes and tried hard to venture further out of her comfort zone and was justly rewarded.  I was most pleased to see Callum there as always and yes, I'm even fine with Poh being there because the drama was, for her, at a bare minimum.  

• Love 3

Andy: The flavor of that is packed full of flavor.

Okay since I was snarky about Poh last episode, I will say something nice: Her beef dish did look super cute. (The fried souffles not so much.) 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, katisha said:

Hmm, these big backflips in the Reece story arc are making me dizzy.  Overnight we've gone from confident Reece who could really be a contender (which...yeah nah) to profusely sweating Reece who takes 20 minutes to start cooking a single thing and then makes, as per usual, a tart. 

I'm actually surprised to say this but I'm really glad Laura made it into the top three tonight.  These last few weeks it's seemed like she couldn't do a thing right and Jock seemed to be going out of his way to be extra harsh when judging her food.  And I don't think that's what any viewers wanted. I think we just wanted her to be treated the same as he others, but he went way over that line in my view.  So tonight she cooked good dishes and tried hard to venture further out of her comfort zone and was justly rewarded.  I was most pleased to see Callum there as always and yes, I'm even fine with Poh being there because the drama was, for her, at a bare minimum.  

I think that this episode showed that Reece and Reynold are not ready yet to make it into the finals , they both couldn’t focus on making savoury and dessert at the same time, they both got their meat undercooked 

and for Laura maybe this is the first time that i wanted her to win, maybe because she started to make good dishes other than pasta 

• Love 3

1 minute ago, xchouchoutex said:

I think that this episode showed that Reece and Reynold are not ready yet to make it into the finals , they both couldn’t focus on making savoury and dessert at the same time, they both got their meat undercooked 

I was going to say something similar - & I liked the requirement that they do both, so nobody can continue to get by almost entirely on dessert.  

• Love 2

I liked that one. I enjoyed the change up of having them make two dishes as well as requiring both sweet and savoury. It really forced them to manage their time more and it was interesting to see who did well and not so well.

Reece really is out of his depth, his main was so basic and the tart wasn’t even that pretty. 

I’m kinda amused that apparently beef fat has usurped the hibachi as this season’s new fad. At least it’s not ice cream again!

• Love 2

It was so nice to see the spotlight be on Callum and Laura for once (OK, Poh was there too but I don't mind her as much as some). This is gonna be an immunity challenge I'm gonna thoroughly enjoy because I think it's the first time in a while that I won't be slightly rooting against anyone, heh.

Tessaaaaaa. I was gutted for her but at least this was a genuine mistake on her part and not her being overlooked by the judges.

The judges referring to Emelia and Laura as the "wonder twins" made me smile. I love their friendship.

Reece made a tart! I think my blood pressure spiked a bit last night because I was SO SHOCKED. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

If Callum couldn't win immunity, then I'm so glad Laura did instead of Poh.  But not for a second do I believe, despite the ads "spoilering" more Poh drama on Sunday, that she's due to go just yet.  PLEASE, let it be Reece who goes next (crosses fingers, toes and eyes). 

Since I don't have anything to add, here is the recap.  My favourite bits:

Callum thinks he can be strategic with this challenge, and decides to pick an obscure letter that he knows there are only a few ingredients of. He picks "Q" hoping for quail, but gets a bowl of white goop instead. Jock takes it over to him to let him have a sniff of it, but then Poh forgets she's not talking to the voices in her head and says out loud that it's "quark". Doh, Poh!

Poh decides to shock us all and starts writing a To Do List for the first time ever, because she wants to "stay focused". She plans on smoking her duck and will be charring the persimmons on the coals of the hibachi. Throwing things you hate over fiery coals seems like a good idea for all things in life.

It's time to judge the dishes and in comes Poh with her duck. Poh says this is not a "weird surf 'n' turf dish, and promises it's full of "bangin' umami". Poh, "bangin"? I'm not mad, just disappointed. 

Actually, for once Poh did say something I found funny (as opposed to she herself finding hilarious) with that remark about the surf'n'turf!

• Love 3

Laura’s dish looked so good. Even vegetarian me wanted a bite of that. Laura has really grown on me the last few weeks so I’m glad she won, I especially love her friendship with Emelia.

The whole alphabet ingredient thing was pretty fun too. It was interesting how many they got that they were actually hoping to get. 

• Love 1

I don't know what happened.

I haven't watched an entire episode since we lost Sarah T. Just bits of a couple of episodes. Yes,  she was my favorite but I knew, deep down, that she wouldn't win. And I've lost other favorites in other seasons. But this year I just gave up without a fight . I will probably watch the final week, depending on who is left. If the final 3 is Reynold, Laura, and Poh/Reese I'll probably just see you all next year. If there is a next year. If Emelia and/or Callum in the final I will probably watch. Like Tessa but I'm not attached to her.

Part of the problem is, I think for me, the seasons feel like they last *years*. MCUK does what, 3 eps per week. That's a good number. I have other issues with MCUK and I get a little bored with the routine around week 5, but overall I stay engaged throughout. MCAU spends two episodes on "Who will win immunity" and I couldn't care less. Also I'm probably one of the minority in that I actually enjoy team challenges and I miss them since the virus killed them off.

While I'm ranting I may as well include Jock. I've gone from kind of liking him at very first to actually hating the sound of his voice. When I watch I ff thru all Jock content. I dislike Jock *almost* as much as I disliked George. I'm hoping Jock will not be back. Love Melissa and Andy has potential.

Whatever its flaws MCAU is still massively better quality than the dumpster fire known as MCUS. Not sure we'll get a MCUS season this year and I'll miss it. I enjoy an occasional dumpster fire.

Here's to a Callum/Emelia final 2!

• Love 4

Good news @zibnchy, @Athena has let us know there will be a MC UK Professionals this year! 

And now back to our regular programming: Glad Laura won immunity. Hell no Poh won't go, but it better not be Callum after that ominous, "this is a step backward for Callum" at the immunity judging. 

• Love 1
On 6/24/2020 at 5:52 AM, zibnchy said:

I don't know what happened.

I haven't watched an entire episode since we lost Sarah T. Just bits of a couple of episodes. Yes,  she was my favorite but I knew, deep down, that she wouldn't win. And I've lost other favorites in other seasons. But this year I just gave up without a fight . I will probably watch the final week, depending on who is left. If the final 3 is Reynold, Laura, and Poh/Reese I'll probably just see you all next year. If there is a next year. If Emelia and/or Callum in the final I will probably watch. Like Tessa but I'm not attached to her.

I'm with you in that I miss the team challenges too.  Towards the end of the season they are usually much more high end and harder for the contestants and it's always interesting to see how they cope in a more realistic kitchen environment.  Now, that wouldn't have been an issue for quite a few of those left but it often has been with the less experienced contestants.

I think the other reason some of us may not be as interested/invested is that because of the lack of team challenges/guest chef immunity challenges etc, all the show has to entertain us is the contestants and the judges.  They're just enough for me but I do want to watch to the end because I want to see someone like Emilia get up to take the prize in spite of all the bias.  But can you imagine what a season of COVID would have been like with the usual lot of amateurs? I can't decide whether it would have been better or worse.

• Love 2

Okay, I haven't seen anyone mention this and it just seemed too odd for me to let it slide by completely unnoticed.

During Laura's immunity dish tasting at the judge's table, the editor's had a little cheeky fun (no pun intended) when Laura was talking about being 'the bottom' last time.  They didn't give us a view of her talking.  Instead, it was a full on butt shot of her and the judges beyond sitting at the table.  WTH!?!  Was I the only one who caught this?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ReallyRealReality said:

During Laura's immunity dish tasting at the judge's table, the editor's had a little cheeky fun (no pun intended) when Laura was talking about being 'the bottom' last time.  They didn't give us a view of her talking.  Instead, it was a full on butt shot of her and the judges beyond sitting at the table.  WTH!?!  Was I the only one who caught this?

No, I noticed too! But it's not the first time the camera has apparently been pointed at Laura's derriere. I think someone in production is a fan!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I never liked team challenges (the food so often winds up mediocre, one shit contestant can sink a bunch of good ones) and am still enjoying the season.

But if there's one thing that makes it less exciting to me, it's the fact that these guys are all already accomplished cooks. There isn't the thrill of seeing an amateur pull off something amazing, or seeing them improve significantly throughout the season. Like, of course Laura can make a great pasta dish and Amelia the perfect choux, that's their job. 

I still enjoy watching them compete against each other, but the special sauce of the regular season for me is discovering these unknown home cooks 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, retrograde said:

I never liked team challenges

I don’t much enjoy the “cook for the crowd” ones but I love the in house ones. I feel like the volume cooks mean the dishes lose a lot of finesse. Meanwhile the relays, the mirror dishes etc, are more fun to me, I mean it did give us the ultimate car crash of the white chocolate veloute!

For tomorrow, I’m hoping it’s finally Reece’s turn to go. Nothing against him I just feel he’s the weakest cook left in a very strong field.

• Love 4
(edited)

That was THE most bullshit reason to eliminate a contestant so far, IMO (with the possible exception of Sarah T's). "Your dish is too flavourful" just screamed of deliberately trying to find something wrong with Tessa's dish, as they have always seemed to do so far except on one or two very specific instances. I thought maybe Reynold's wrong-textured mousse would finally be his downfall, but the moment they started on about how they had to go back to the brief to judge, I knew Tessa was toast. "Going back to the brief" is always code for "finding convoluted reasons to eliminate someone that probably didn't deserve it." You deserved better, Tessa. At least Laura and Emelia are still in it, but who knows for how long given the collective boner the judges have for Reynold and Reece (and Poh).

Speaking of, I am so over Reece continuing to coast on simple ass dishes.

Such an unfortunate last episode of Masterchef for me (I'm being repatriated to my country tomorrow after being stranded here for a few months). This show has been one of the few things keeping me sane during this period and it certainly brightened my evenings, so I will always have a soft spot for it. Whatever else, I'm definitely gonna miss watching Melissa eat (and looking at her in general).

Edited by Niuxita
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Niuxita said:

That was THE most bullshit reason to eliminate a contestant so far, IMO (with the possible exception of Sarah T's). "Your dish is too flavourful" just screamed of deliberately trying to find something wrong with Tessa's dish, as they have always seemed to do so far except on one or two very specific instances.

Gotta agree with you there.  I'm sure Tessa was convinced that even if she made the best dish of her entire career, she was still going to be the one eliminated purely because she was up against "Masterchef royalty" (their words, not mine!).  I actually think Tessa has shown remarkable composure in the last few weeks where it's seemed that no matter what she did (especially where Jock was concerned) it wasn't good enough.  It was clearly getting her down and she was starting to look defeated, but she somehow managed to stay cool, get back up and keep going. 

My God, Poh actually made me laugh again tonight with her comment about how at first she was wondering how the judges were going to divide that tiny banana-leaf dessert thing into three, but then realised they'd be used to it after Reynold's micro desserts. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, katisha said:

My God, Poh actually made me laugh again tonight with her comment about how at first she was wondering how the judges were going to divide that tiny banana-leaf dessert thing into three, but then realised they'd be used to it after Reynold's micro desserts. 

Totally forgot about this! That was some masterful shade (no pun intended). This is why I can't completely go over to the Poh Annoyance train. Anyone who can casually shade Reynold like that is OK in my book.

Edited by Niuxita
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh, and I forgot that Poh also said that with both she and Reece making creme caramel, it would be the battle of the custard queens. Hehe.

Here is tonight's recap with a few choice quotes.

Meanwhile, Poh is crouching by the blast chiller like she's trying to hide from the men in white coats. Melissa visits and carefully assumes the same low position as not to frighten her, which is the same way I deal with my cat when he is high on too much catnip.

Poh is next and feels embarassed she couldn't turn this out properly. The judges taste her puddle and all say they love the flavour, and Melissa says she loves Poh's "aggressive" caramelisation. "Agressive caramelisation" is also how I would describe the level of fake tan my skin needs as a result of this dark depressing winter.

Andy loves the chips, but says the fish was a touch over. He also says the tartare is controversial, because it should have had capers in it. Jock agrees that the tartare should have capers in it and this could get her into round two. Maybe you just should have told her like you told Reynold about the sponge? 

• Love 3

Poor Tessa, the judges finally found a way to get rid of her. I totally agree that there was some serious BS there. I wanted her to do well this season after she was robbed last year but given how much she’s just wasn’t a judges favourite it’s amazing she got as far as she did. 

i thought Callum’s soufflé looked amazing, I wanted some of that. I also enjoyed Emelia beating Reynold in the Bombe Alaska off. I would have been pissed off if Reynold was safe on that after the judges basically told him to fix his sponge.
Either Reece has a relative on the production staff or he’s got some good blackmail material on them. He’s just doing the bare minimum and passing at this point.

• Love 3

I watched the first half and then came here for the result because I had a feeling Tessa was getting screwed and I didn't want to watch it.

The look on Tessa's face at the end of round 1 makes it clear that she knew she was getting screwed.

I'm so sick of Reynold (I'm not a homophobe I just play one on social media). The only reason I'm not completely sick of Poh is I have a feeling I'd actually really like her IRL.

He literally didn't know he needed a sponge for his bombe alaska?! Until the judges told him.  Why didn't the judges tell Tessa she needed capers in her tarter sauce?

Thank god Callum and Emelia are still alive in this comp.

• Love 3
(edited)

Since I haven't tasted the dishes, I won't say the outcome was wrong - but I know I'd rather try Tessa's dish than Reynold's. I agree that you can have too many things going on in a dish for it to work, but I don't see why having the hot sauce & salsa being the lingering flavors made it not fit the brief, & the mousse that "wasn't a mousse" & was "not overly pleasant" (Jock) seemed worse to me no matter how clever the presentation may have been. Ok, great raspberry sorbet, I gather, but sorbet, chocolate pebbles, & isomalt, & dry ice or whatever it is that sends up the usual mist, doesn't seem like enough if the other major component doesn't taste good. I'm finding Reynold's tricks repetitive & therefore not at this point something I've never seen before, but rather more or less the same elements repackaged into a slightly different story each time. If he hadn't called it "Space," would it had have gotten him through?

I'm a bit bummed for Tessa even more than the others that it's not a normal year - it would have been such a springboard into the next phase of her career, & now everything will be at least partially put on hold, or at least very different, for a while.  Ah, well. I'm glad she got as far as she did, anyway. 

Edited by akr
missing word
  • Love 4

It's hard because... like, Tessa's elimination was clearly bullshit. But the brief was also phrased so poorly that all three of them completely missed the mark nearly as much as the time they did "give us a Heston-level surprise" in The Season That Shall Not Be Named and bloody Noelene thought it meant "give the judges a bowl of fish heads". Like, the goal was "give us something we've never seen before", and Poh gave us yet another curry only this time there was a lettuce leaf underneath (so inventive), Tessa gave a deconstructed taco to a judge whose entire story when he was a contestant on the show was "won't stop appropriating fucking Mexican food", and Reynold took the same boring components he always does and set them up slightly differently like he was playing Super Masterchef Maker. I don't doubt that Poh had the best dish of the three, but... like, you can't use your stupid brief to justify eliminating someone when none of them came close to banging (sorry) it on the head. And you certainly can't use it to boot the person who, even ignoring the brief entirely, either (1) clearly didn't have the worst dish of the day or (2) actually did have a dish that was worse in ways that you couldn't be bothered to explain when critiquing dishes on camera is your entire fucking job. But a simple "holy crap that's strong, it kills all the other flavours here" was too hard for you to say and/or the editors to show? Bull. Shit.

Team challenges: I'm on team "always hate them" because even aside from dishes being decided by committee being consistently underwhelming, they're always structured so that too many people are standing around doing nothing. I do agree that they get better later in the season, but I'd rather they just get rid of the weekly team challenge episode and just do it when it's actually relevant. We've got a good substitute in the wings already: the old Invention Test format. There's no reason they couldn't do a Mystery Box on Sunday, immunity challenge for the top three on Monday, Pressure Test elimination on Tuesday, Invention Test on Wednesday (with the immunity winner getting the "you pick the core ingredient" advantage), and then the wacky elimination challenge on Thursday, with team challenges sprinkled throughout as necessary.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, katisha said:

Maybe you just should have told her like you told Reynold about the sponge? 

That was way too big of a clue to give Reynold during a "make a classic" challenge. But I've no doubt that even if Tessa had included the capers, they would have still put her into the bottom for the "slightly" over fish. 

Reynold basically made a tasty sorbet with some crumbs. In my opinion the presentation was a failure. It did NOT look like space, nor an asteroid, nor even appetizing. It looked like a black cow patty with a hunk of Extra Brite Playdo on it, with some white pebbles in the mist. None of them met the brief really, and both Poh and Reynold did poorly in the first challenge, but whatevs. Not sure why they were mean girling Tessa, but I hope they didn't break her.  

PS. Note to production: I never need to see Poh gazing into an oven/freezer with consternation again as long as I live.  

PPS. I did notice the Laura butt shot, but, to be fair, they had been doing that to Simon earlier, so at least they are not sexist in the exploiting of butts. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, xchouchoutex said:

was super obvious that they want to keep reynold and poh till the end

Yep. It’s becoming increasingly clear who the judges pets are, and it wasn't Tessa. I don’t even mind Poh because even though she’s drama heavy she’s shown a lot more range. Reynold however seems to get less and less impressive with every cook. Yes he has skills buts it’s usually all variations of a theme, some kind of frozen thing, some kind of soil, some shards and/or granita. 
My wish the next eliminations In order would be: Reece, Reynold, Laura, Poh, Callum and Emelia for the win. Of course that means Emelia or Callum are probably going to be the next two to go.

• Love 3

Emelia and Callum kicking ass were the only saving graces of this episode. Once again, Reece skates by with another simple dish that's not classic but that's ok because we're going to send Tessa into round 2 by not telling her about the capers in the tartar sauce while also giving a huge hint to Reynold about the sponge in the Bombe Alaska.

I thought the elimination was bullshit. Isn't Indian cooking all about huge bold flavours? Why was Tessa's dish criticized for not being Indian even though she labeled it as Indian-Mexican fusion cuisine? Why was Melissa up in arms about the Indian dish not working altogether but noting that the individual components tasted "delicious"? I read from another site that her Round 2 dish was in fact Indian and that Indians do love these types of flavours.

Round 2 was set up to give the judges maximum leeway in sending who they wanted home. Reynold making another white chocolate pebble, isomalt shard, mousse dish and then giving his dish a moniker doesn't make it something the judges haven't seen before...otherwise we might as well crown Reece the winner with his tarts. Every tart that he makes comes in different shapes, sizes and looks.

• Love 3

A really good lemon tart is right up there with my favourite desserts to eat but Reece has made me almost hate the sound of those two words with all his multiple mentions lately! In saying that, though, even though I think he's in the top seven under false pretences, I felt a little sorry for him tonight because he looked like a kicked puppy.  But we've got to the point of the competition where even good dishes like the ones Emilia and Callum made aren't enough to give you a shot at immunity so them's the breaks.

I found the moment between Mel and Poh tonight when Mel got all teary over Poh's Malaysian curry to be very touching and genuine.  Poh doesn't always come across that way because sometimes there's more than a whiff of "tryhard" about her pieces to camera but tonight that was very real and lovely. So I'm okay with her getting best dish.  I'm NOT okay with Reynold getting picked over Callum because Reynold basically made a modified frozen something he's made lots of times before while Callum actually invented a dish, and to me that deserved more kudos. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, katisha said:

A really good lemon tart is right up there with my favourite desserts to eat but Reece has made me almost hate the sound of those two words with all his multiple mentions lately!

I came in to comment that 'Reece made yet another tart!  Surprise!

So over Reece just making a tart (good or bad) and getting raves!  Finally, tonight it didn't happen!

I think Callum was cheated - he made a brand new inovative dish and Reynold 'dumbed down' a dish they make in his restaurant and he wins!  Not good enough!

Edited by misgabi13
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, katisha said:

I'm NOT okay with Reynold getting picked over Callum because Reynold basically made a modified frozen something he's made lots of times before while Callum actually invented a dish, and to me that deserved more kudos. 

Callum’s dish looked delicious. I want some persimmon sorbet. I swear Reynold had already made his dish at least twice this season just in different colours. Not surprised though since Reynold is a favourite of the judges. I really hoping Laura wins immunity again. I know Poh will be fine, she always muddles through in eliminations but I do not want to see Laura go before Reece.

Speaking of Reece, a tart?! Colour me surprised. I did not see that coming. Also did dude really say he added saffron ice cream because of the colour?! How is he top 10 let alone top 6? Saffron is really overwhelming unless used carefully (I use it a ton for Indian desserts) and it really doesn’t go with lemon. Jeez, he needs to go this week.

• Love 2

It's funny how the last few weeks the Mystery Boxes have basically been "cook whatever you want" and the immunity challenges have pretty much been glorified Mystery Boxes with different staging.

Also I don't even remember the last time Reynold or Laura actually made something I would want to eat?

• Love 2
(edited)

Tessa’s gone, Reynold makes a weensie pile of dessert bits with a shard and Reece makes a tart.  The only thing keeping me here is Callum and Emilia but I may be out.  And, yeah judges, keep telling Reynold what he’s doing wrong or not doing or whatever.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ok, fine, maybe I'll copy down Reese's basic pastry recipe to add to my repertoire. If I were in his neighborhood, I'd probably be happy to have a slice of his lemon tart. I like lemon tarts & I'm sure his is a good one, but that's the last I want to hear from him about tarts. How on earth he thought saffron would go well with it is beyond me.

I don't watch dessert shows, so two in a row of 5 desserts & one savory dish is a slog.  How about a challenge with no sugar or other sweeteners available? I'll allow fruits in their natural state, & maybe tamarind & pomegranate syrup because they're also very tart, but they can't be set up to do the same desserts over & over again. Or maybe I just want to be done with Reece & Reynold, as the others' desserts don't bother me so much. 

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

I think this is the third time Reece makes a lemon tart correct me if i’m wrong , in moroccan cuisine we use saffron a lot , so i can tell that for an ice cream he added a loooot of saffron like he doesn’t know how to use it 

Aaah reynold i used to like him back in his season, i thought that he was underestimated but maaan in this season i can’t stand how the judges over cherish him 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xchouchoutex said:

I think this is the third time Reece makes a lemon tart correct me if i’m wrong ,

This is the first lemon tart - but he's been whining about not having lemons & therefore having to make other kinds of tarts for quite a while now.  Last time he made a gin tart because there were no lemons; I don't remember what his other tart(s) were. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think I've been a little unfair to Reynold - today's dessert actually did look like something I'd really like to try. In this one the presentation seemed in service of the taste & overall pleasurable nature of the dessert, rather than just for the sake of effect. I wrote earlier before watching today's episode; I'd seen the twitter updates so I knew it was all desserts, & knew what each had cooked & who had come through, so I wasn't in a hurry to watch, & I was going on how I've felt about his desserts over the last few weeks. This one, for me, wasn't style over substance but style in service of substance. 

Sorry it's taken me a full week to calm down before I could come and post without swearing up a storm.  I warned you I'd hit the ceiling if they pulled some BS and sent Tessa out.  Sure enough, that's exactly what they did.  I'm still not over it.   HOW can they say her dish didn't fit the brief?  In my opinion, hers was the only one that did.  "Make something creative we've never seen before"... cue Poh making another curry and serving it in! a! piece! of! lettuce!!!... cue Reynold making his typical dessert elements and calling it 'space'.  Oooo, aaaaah... BS!!!!  Tessa served up Indian food as tacos... a blending of two cuisines... CLEARLY not seen before.  Mel said all of the elements tasted wonderful, but they then complained about the flavors being too strong and the heat lingering, etc... but it was a BUILD YOUR OWN style... if they put too much hot sauce on then that's on THEM!!!!

I'm sick of it.  Obviously with these judges the briefs only matter to determine who follows it most closely so they can eliminate them.  Who cares if the remaining cooks can only cook dishes they're comfortable with, a BS story is all it takes to sail through.  It also helps if you've got a fat paycheck from production, you really don't even have to present a dish... I'm SURE they'll find some other crock of BS to eliminate ANYone else. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, TVbitch said:

PPS. I did notice the Laura butt shot, but, to be fair, they had been doing that to Simon earlier, so at least they are not sexist in the exploiting of butts. 

Maybe so, but I don't recall that because he probably wasn't specifically talking about 'bottom' when they did it to him.  It was overly obvious with Laura.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:23 AM, ppl said:

I thought the elimination was bullshit. Isn't Indian cooking all about huge bold flavours? Why was Tessa's dish criticized for not being Indian even though she labeled it as Indian-Mexican fusion cuisine?

Yes, Indian cooking doesn't care about pastel colours on the taste buds. Like the decorations and clothes of the country, it's flashy, it's in your face, it's lively. It was rigged, so I don't need to yell through a tasteless keyboard that when presented with this kind of cuisine, the taster should proceed with caution when it comes to the sauces, just like one gives a taste before adding condiments in any other cuisine. I'd like to say that Jock only put too much sauce on his taco, but being honest might have caused him his position.

Why was Melissa up in arms about the Indian dish not working altogether but noting that the individual components tasted "delicious"? I read from another site that her Round 2 dish was in fact Indian and that Indians do love these types of flavours.

Never have I seen Melissa say contrary to Jock. She'll go against Andy's opinion, as she did in this occasion, but not against Jock's.  Even when she's the first to voice her judgement, you can tell through what Jock says afterwards that some editing out has happened, but she knows where he stands and she follows suit. It's just a little thing I've noticed.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Myriad said:

Never have I seen Melissa say contrary to Jock. She'll go against Andy's opinion, as she did in this occasion, but not against Jock's.  Even when she's the first to voice her judgement, you can tell through what Jock says afterwards that some editing out has happened, but she knows where he stands and she follows suit. It's just a little thing I've noticed.

I remember early on in Week 4 during Amina's elimination challenge which she won, Melissa stood up and disagreed with Jock about Amina's dish at the time. Melissa was polite yet firm about it and understood the dish better and as intended by Amina. Melissa and Jock seem more often in alignment but it is rare when she disagrees with him.

• Love 1