Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Where You Find Me

• Start Topic

I really wish Annie was being portrayed by a stronger actress. I just wasn’t on her side with CeCe at all even though I know I should be.. I think it’s just because I think the actress is the stronger of the three but my current feelings are that Ty is too bland for CeCe and Annie is too bland for Ty. 

Also, im disappointed that Tyler’s freak out about Annie kissing him is just down to him apparently having deep feelings for her. What an overreaction.

I like Kyle, but he is just so dramatic, all of this because Annie isn't into him that way. I guess thats pretty on brand, being a teenage drama kid who has a lot going on, this is a bit ridiculous. Like, just send your mom a text to say you need a minute, you dont need to disappear and get the whole town out there.

I really hope that Dana Sue and the farmer guy work out, maybe he can help her finally loosen up a bit, she is so high strung still. 

• Love 4

I think his issue was that he felt ignored by everyone. Especially his dad and he felt betrayed by his brother even though Ty wasn’t actually at fault. 

I agree it was dramatic but hey, kids be kids.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, Avabelle said:

I think his issue was that he felt ignored by everyone. Especially his dad and he felt betrayed by his brother even though Ty wasn’t actually at fault. 

Yeah this. Annie not liking him was more like the straw that broke the camel's back. He already felt ignored by his dad and that Bill was only interested in Tyler who was the big sports star (and I guess the little girl because she's the only girl and the youngest).

And he builds a friendship with Noreen, only for her to leave his loser father, deservedly, and so he loses her as well. I actually felt for him when he said he didn't think anyone would notice.

And Joanna Garcia played the moment really well, where you could see Maddie's heart breaking hearing and seeing how much her son thought no one cared about him. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:24 PM, tennisgurl said:

I like Kyle, but he is just so dramatic, all of this because Annie isn't into him that way.

It was but this episode showed that all these kids are a little dramatic, owing to their insecurities and well, being teenagers. Annie hates how CeCe got the boy she likes and like that's not bad enough, her Aunt Helen is playing psuedo-mom to her. 

Despite getting Tyler, CeCe is insecure and rattled any time he and Annie even look at each other, to the point that she goes full bitch mode on Annie in a mock trial. They're all a bunch of over-dramatic kids. 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, Avabelle said:

Also, im disappointed that Tyler’s freak out about Annie kissing him is just down to him apparently having deep feelings for her. What an overreaction.

I don't know, I still find that whole storyline pretty ambiguous. Yes, he was nice to her with the jacket and all but Tyler seems pretty solid in his thing with CeCe and shows no longing for Annie.

So I still think it can go either way of his liking her and hiding it or his freaking out because he sees her only as a friend. Pretty much the same way Annie feels about Kyle.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Is it bad that I felt more for when Cece's dad showed up for her at mock trial and was so proud of her. He even stayed for the whole thing to get to the awards. 

I'm so over Annie we get it you like Ty so you hate Cece. And no one in your circle can have any feelings for her.

One shallow note i cant with Dana Sue's wardrobe. You are going to a business meeting on a farm and decided to wear an outfit that's more drinks at a bar vs digging in the dirt. Put on some jeans girl.

The hillbilly histrionics most be taken straight from the books because I cant see any current writer coming up with some of this stuff. Did she really say something like take my teeth. 

I have to agree with something from the other thread about Ty being gay. He just doesn't seem that into either girl. Maybe the actor is just that bad he cant connect enough and it looks like he doesn't care.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/24/2020 at 11:16 PM, notcreative enough said:

I'm so over Annie we get it you like Ty so you hate Cece. And no one in your circle can have any feelings for her.

Maybe it's because I'm well past my teen years, so I can better understand and empathize with the teenage histrionics, but honestly I think all the kids are basically decent people (except Jackson) and can understand where they're all coming from. 

I don't think Annie's feelings towards CeCe are solely just because she likes Tyler. I think it's a combination of her seeing CeCe as the popular "mean girl"(even if CeCe really hasn't shown herself to be that mean), who of course gets the guy. And then like that's not bad enough, she's weaseling in on Annie's family.

Plus, CeCe didn't exactly help dispel her mean girl rep with Annie, by the stunt she pulled at the mock trial. Which of course she only did because she's insecure herself and is threatened the second Tyler looks at Annie. 

As for Tyler, I'm not really seeing the gay thing. Honestly, I actually think Tyler comes across as a normal teenager who's not all dramatic about love and relationships. I think what some are reading as his not being that into either girl is his just being fairly chill about it.

Which is why I said in the other episode thread that interestingly, the only time I felt like I saw real passion from him was when he and Annie had their fight after Jackson released her voice message. Which is the only thing that makes me think he may like her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7
On 5/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, truthaboutluv said:

I think it's a combination of her seeing CeCe as the popular "mean girl"(even if CeCe really hasn't shown herself to be that mean), who of course gets the guy. And then like that's not bad enough, she's weaseling in on Annie's family.

CeCe did show herself to be a mean girl. She was the one who urged Annie to drink, just so she could watch Annie make a drunken fool of herself while CeCe and her popular-girl clique could laugh at her, which they were clearly doing as she left. And then spread it around at school.

• Love 6
On 5/31/2020 at 6:33 PM, CarpeFelis said:

CeCe did show herself to be a mean girl. She was the one who urged Annie to drink, just so she could watch Annie make a drunken fool of herself while CeCe and her popular-girl clique could laugh at her, which they were clearly doing as she left. And then spread it around at school.

Thanks for bringing that up.  It was a really crappy thing to do!

CeCe's a mean girl, but I can't help but get her. Agreed with upthread that she's being played by a better actress and she doesn't feel 1-d to me. Anyway, as for Kyle, I pulled a very similar stunt during a high school camping trip because I was being moody and dramatic so that brought me back.

I didn’t buy the chemistry with Dana Sue and the farmer guy, even when he said, “You can taste anything you want.”  He was nice eye candy in a man-bun sort of way. He seemed more like someone she’d have a quick fling with and then it’s over. That could get messy from a business perspective though. 

I still can't get past that after party in the school gym. Keggers are in the woods, not on school property.  I realize it was probably a production choice for filming convenience, but come on. Even someone's house would have been more believable. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, truthaboutluv said:

As for Tyler, I'm not really seeing the gay thing. Honestly, I actually think Tyler comes across as a normal teenager who's not all dramatic about love and relationships. I think what some are reading as his not being that into either girl is his just being fairly chill about it.

I agree. He seemed fairly wrapped up in his family drama and baseball, and CeCe pursued him. She obviously likes him more than he likes her, but that doesn’t make him gay. 
I think everyone needs an Aunt Helen. She was fantastic with Annie and Kyle, and all the mock trial kids. She is making the show for me. Ironically, the closest thing in my life to an Aunt Helen is my Aunt Dorothy, who everyone in my family calls.....CeCe. 😋
My favorite line was when Maddie says she has so many squeaky wheels she’s out of grease. I can relate sometimes.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:22 PM, Legalbeagle421 said:

The denim pink overalls jumpsuit was painful to see for the whole episode. That's all I've got to contribute. 

I have hated everything she has worn. She dresses like an overgrown toddler. The dress she wore on her first date with the coach was waaay too short and juvenile. I also hate how Dana Sue dresses. She’s not tiny, but there has to be something besides a sumo wrestler robe and belt she could wear! But Helen’s wardrobe makes up for both of them. Fab.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree. He seemed fairly wrapped up in his family drama and baseball, and CeCe pursued him. She obviously likes him more than he likes her, but that doesn’t make him gay. 
I think everyone needs an Aunt Helen. She was fantastic with Annie and Kyle, and all the mock trial kids. She is making the show for me. Ironically, the closest thing in my life to an Aunt Helen is my Aunt Dorothy, who everyone in my family calls.....CeCe. 😋
My favorite line was when Maddie says she has so many squeaky wheels she’s out of grease. I can relate sometimes.

I have hated everything she has worn. She dresses like an overgrown toddler. The dress she wore on her first date with the coach was waaay too short and juvenile. I also hate how Dana Sue dresses. She’s not tiny, but there has to be something besides a sumo wrestler robe and belt she could wear! But Helen’s wardrobe makes up for both of them. Fab.

You stole my thunder!  A forty-ish mother of three should not be dressing like a teenager.  Joanna Garcia was dressed better back when she was on "Reba".  Agree about the Dana Sue outfits too.  I also don't understand why all the women are walking around in Frederick's Of Hollywood stiletto heels all the time.  Guess it brings in more business for podiatrists and orthopaedic surgeons!  Finally, you are right about Helen winning the best dressed category.  Classy!  

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I also don't understand why all the women are walking around in Frederick's Of Hollywood stiletto heels all the time. 

I have to admit that’s why I love Helen’s outfits so much. I looove heels, a little too much apparently since I’ve jacked up my own feet over the years from wearing them. I think she looks fantastic head to toe. Maddie’s shoes however drive me bonkers. The cropped flared jeans with the high heels from the first few episodes looked stupid. Especially considering she was being a stay at home mom at that point. Who the hell dresses like that when you’re just running kids around? That lifestyle/outfit would have made more sense with a sneaker.

• Love 3
On 7/10/2020 at 5:34 AM, Aunt Catfish said:

You stole my thunder!  A forty-ish mother of three should not be dressing like a teenager.  Joanna Garcia was dressed better back when she was on "Reba".  

I think it's meant to convey that going back into the dating pool is like a sweet return to the innocence of youth for Maddie. It kind of reminds me of how they dressed DJ in Fuller House. A lot of her outfits were on the young side.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think it's meant to convey that going back into the dating pool is like a sweet return to the innocence of youth for Maddie.

The problem is that she is well past that. It’s a little too twee bordering on juvenile for a woman with two kids in high school. Her best outfit was the navy blue sundress she wore for her sex date. Hey, maybe you are on to something - first grown up looking outfit for her grown up date! 😂 Seriously though, more of that and less looking like she raided her elementary school daughter’s closet....

• Love 1
On 7/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, Ilovepie said:

I have to admit that’s why I love Helen’s outfits so much. I looove heels, a little too much apparently since I’ve jacked up my own feet over the years from wearing them. I think she looks fantastic head to toe. Maddie’s shoes however drive me bonkers. The cropped flared jeans with the high heels from the first few episodes looked stupid. Especially considering she was being a stay at home mom at that point. Who the hell dresses like that when you’re just running kids around? That lifestyle/outfit would have made more sense with a sneaker.

...oh they had their part alongside those wedges. The wardrobe seems to have missed the mark on 2/3 of the Magnolias. 

(edited)

I just found found Sweet Magnolias yesterday and watched all the eps in one day.

I don't have any problem with their wardrobes, honestly I think they look normal for actual everyday adults. I get frustrated in a lot of movies or shows, having a 'normal everyday character' dressed in clothes that your average person couldn't afford or find. Maddie is a single mother who spent 20 years being a wife and mother who put her self last. She likely didn't go shopping for herself much, and most of her clothes look dated and small townish. No one, in real life, is put together perfectly all the time. I know lots of people who work by the 'its still fits, and there are no holes in it' philosophy with their closet. 

I think Ty is confused. He has feelings for Annie and since they grew up together and is his friend, he doesn't understand how he feels. So he responds by acting like its not a big deal, and forcing himself to pay attention to another girl.....kind of a 'look I don't have feelings for Annie, its fine....I'm fine. We're fine.' kind of thing. I also think that Annie's dislike of CeCe is valid. IMO CeCe views Annie as competition for Ty's affections, so she encouraged her to drink and get drunk, then made fun of her and told everyone at school how she was drunk and threw up to embarrass her. CeCe isn't a bad person, she is just insecure and her homelife isn't that great. Annie is also your typical 'No one gets me, no one likes me. I hate my life teenager.' I think the teenagers are well acted. They act like teenagers, real ones. Not over the top, dramatically 'heres your emmy' teens, but just real teens.

My frustrations are that I suspect that s2 is going to have Maddie get back with her ex, and I cannot begin to explain how sick of that trope I am. The 'Look, I know we're together, but I think we should break it off because my ex acted like a decent father/human for one day so I feel like I need to give him a second chance for the sake of the kids' trope that always backfires because the ex always slides right back into old habits. I also didn't like how they made Cal seem jealous that Bill was with Maddie when they were looking for Kyle. Bill is Kyle's father, thats where he should have been. It's literally one of the few times Bill is doing the right thing.

I also felt like Dana Sue's husband acted borderline abusive. She tells him she wants a divorce, and he gets in her face, using his height to intimidate her, and says 'I stayed away, did everything you asked of me, waiting to come home. So I NEED TO KNOW WHEN I'm coming home." Dude, she just told you, you're not coming home.

I feel like it was Annie and Kyle in the vehicle, so it will be interesting explaining how that happened, since neither of them have license to drive.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Love 2

I only watched SM recently.  In response to some of the comments:

Annie’s character  IS a meek, quiet,  girl so that’s how she is played, and the actress does it very well.  

Cece IS mean.  She’s had it out for Annie ever since the party at the gym when Ty rescued her from Jackson. Maybe she’d have preferred if he just Jackson have his way with Annie?  And I get Helen being nice to CeCe because she sees something beside, as she put it “clothes and snark.” But I also see Annie’s side.  Helen is a role model and an adult she feels like “gets” her, so it hurts to feel like, in her mind, Helen chose CeCe.  

I don’t think Ty is gay; I think he realized does have feelings for Annie and he’s not sure what to do with that, so he tries to have a relationship with CeCe to hide it, but can’t make it feel real, but won’t let himself feel for Annie. 

I also want to add that I don’t, like a lot of fans I’ve seen, absolve Noreen of all blame and guilt.  If a man tells you “boo goo, I don’t love my wife and she doesn’t understand me, poor little me!”, if you have any class you tell him “I’m so sorry to hear that.” You don’t jump in bed with him.  And how do you not get that his son may not want you making a spectacle of yourself at his ball games or that he might not want to be part of your wedding? Or, that his ex wife might not want to discuss paint colors for your nursery for the child you spawned while he was still her husband.