Type keyword(s) to search

RuPaul's Drag Race Canada

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I really didn't like the lip sync song. 

Je suis choque! That's not just Canada's true national anthem -- it's a hymn! It's like slagging "Smalltown Boy" for people of --ahem-- a certain generation. I got flashbacks to Toronto Pride in '93 when Carole Pope took the main stage, and was heckled non-stop during her entire set to play "High School Confidential". She was too punk for the crowd, and didn't. 

Miss Moco stiff? The entire panel should have taken a long, deep look into Fiercealicious' mirrors, because puppets would be giving more life at this point. What is wrong with them? The pre-show banter was just awful, and Brooke Lynn continues to project Fembot vibes. 

• LOL 1

I was familiar with the song, and loved it in general. But it's history was completely lost on me. In fact, when I watched the episode and looked up the guest judge, I became one of the 10,000 that day with a big TIL moment. 

I honestly thought that song was sung by a male singer, until I actually saw the video and read the history of it a bit. (Comes from growing up in the 80's in a small New Brunswick town with 4 antenna channels and a local pop station and a few American radio stations :) )

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mahfouz said:

The makeup is awful on about 75% of this season's queens.

Also what is up with all the mullet love? 

I've stopped watching this show on a big screen, because the paint is much less offensive in miniature on my phone. Maybe presenting busted looks is a new trend!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Taeolas said:

I was familiar with the song, and loved it in general. But it's history was completely lost on me. In fact, when I watched the episode and looked up the guest judge, I became one of the 10,000 that day with a big TIL moment. 

I honestly thought that song was sung by a male singer, until I actually saw the video and read the history of it a bit. (Comes from growing up in the 80's in a small New Brunswick town with 4 antenna channels and a local pop station and a few American radio stations :) )

It's impressive that Rough Trade has achieved its notoriety even with being almost totally blacklisted from pop and rock stations. Even today, most DJs are far too timid to play their music, and even with their stellar reputation as avant post-punk pioneers. I grew up in Southern Ontarion and was a teen in the '80s, and was aware of "High School Confidential", but you didn't ever really hear it on the radio.

• Useful 1

That was a good episode. The second episode was such a bust that I had lowered my expectations for the whole season. Now I'm feeling hopeful again.

I'm rooting for the two French queens. Both of them are doing exciting things!

• Love 2
(edited)

The episode cemented my love for Gisele and Jada.  And now I like Vivian and Lady Boom  Boom.

I was sad about Chelazon.

Still can't stand Miss Fiercalicious.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

The episode cemented my love for Gisele and Jada.  And now I like Vivian and Lady Boom  Boom.

I was sad about Chelazon.

Still can't stand Miss Fiercalicious.

Fiercealicious is really adding nothing to the content of the show beyond a certain petty, bitchy drama, so of course they kept her over Chelazon, who added texture and depth to the season with her Werkroom conversation with Kaos.

I was raised outside of Toronto, and love the city, but I now live in northern Alberta and want to hear about the drag scene in Saskatchewan and Newfoundland, and what's it like to work in one-bar cities, and not about stupid rivalry between shrill twentysomethings in Toronto. Enough!

And can Brooke Lynn try to mimic emotions as she sends the queens packing? She literally sent off Chelazon in the same voice that she'd order a Teen Burger. Can't she take a pill for that? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Fiercealicious is really adding nothing to the content of the show beyond a certain petty, bitchy drama, so of course they kept her over Chelazon, who added texture and depth to the season with her Werkroom conversation with Kaos.

I was raised outside of Toronto, and love the city, but I now live in northern Alberta and want to hear about the drag scene in Saskatchewan and Newfoundland, and what's it like to work in one-bar cities, and not about stupid rivalry between shrill twentysomethings in Toronto. Enough!

And can Brooke Lynn try to mimic emotions as she sends the queens packing? She literally sent off Chelazon in the same voice that she'd order a Teen Burger. Can't she take a pill for that? 

Couldn't agree more. I get it that Chelazon's performance was not breathtaking, but I loved listening to her and Kaos talking about First Nation and their identities and struggles. It was something new and refreshing on Drag Race and I really would've loved to learn more on the topic. I understand that everyone has to go at some point, but even if only for the sake of the new point of view that was being offered, I feel Chelazon should've stayed on a bit longer. 

I love Jada but I think giving her the win was a bit too much, considering her performance was just okay and her runway look was very underwhelming compared to the others (see Vivian, Gisele and Bombae who, poor thing, was truly dealt a bad hand with Fiercealicious in the challenge). 

I still don't like Brooke Lynn but at least she made that reference to my favorite Kristen Wiig character in SNL, Dooneese! (Judice? Junice? No one ever knew)

snl-saturday-night-live.gif

• Love 1
17 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Now you know Brooke can't feel her face! I just want her to get rid of the mullet.

Vanjie can do no wrong in my eyes. LUUUURRRRVE her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Shelazon's drag was rather pedestrian. Her outfit for the duo skit was, um, akin to somebody's first ever attempt at drag when they really have no idea what they're doing. It had no place in a venue supposed to highlight the best of drag. 

There are a few queens who stick out as having original, creative ideas. Off the top of my head, Irma Gerd and the French one (sorry). Also, Irma's partner in the skit this week (sorry). 

Am looking forward to a long season full of the bitchiness of Fiercilicious and Kimme Couture. 

ETA

I was also surprised that Fierce or Bombae didn't sashay away given they basically shat upon the Rupaul song they were stuck with. No bitee the hand that feed you. 

Edited by Mahfouz
  • LOL 1

As some others have commented elsewhere Lady Boom Boom is giving Bimini Bon Boulash energy and I can see her winning the whole season. She and Kimmy were dynamite together.

The mini challenge was lots of fun with all the 'butch' energy. And great quirky runway theme.

I may be in the minority but Fiercealicious is serving mess the house down boots and I am living for it. She gives great face. The Chelazon-Kaos conversation was great though so sad to see her go. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Well, that was disappointing.  I think that Kaos won that lipsync.  I don't think she had many weeks left, but I think she was stronger than Jayda.

I call bullshit. If the panel doesn't want the queens to construct their looks with construction paper, then DON'T INCLUDE IT IN THE BOXES. And Kaos' look was great and belonged nowhere in the bottom two, unlike Fiercealicious' ugly homage to Star Trek communicators. 

I knew that Kaos was gone as soon as Jada started to get messy in Untucked: there's no way that production would keep a nice, competent queen over a Drama Machine. Jada was smart enough to know that, and milked it for all its worth -- and good for her to make that work for her -- but still. Yes, Kaos won the lipsynch. but she fulfilled her narrative arc with Chelazon, and was disposable to production. 

This wasn't as big a disappointment as Stephanie's elimination, but it still makes me grumpy. Fiercalicious is still a twit, but I give her partial marks for clearly being over everything, and showing it. At least she's not disingenuous.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1

I was surprised when almost all the queens named Jada as the one they would eliminate, for some reason I thought she was more popular than Kaos. From what we could see, Jada did well in the mini-challenge (although I think they edited it to that purpose) but her outfit was an eyesore and her victory last week was completely undeserved, so I wish the judges had listened to the other queens and sent her packing instead of Kaos. 

At this point I really have no idea who could go next, but I'm tired of production keeping on queens for drama (I'm talking to you, Fiercalicious, Kimme and at this point Jada) instead of talent. 

20 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Fiercalicious is still a twit, but I give her partial marks for clearly being over everything, and showing it. At least she's not disingenuous.

Is that why she had such a sour look on her face at the end? I couldn't figure out what she would be so upset about. Was she that close to Kaos?

On 8/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, stormy weather said:

At this point I really have no idea who could go next, but I'm tired of production keeping on queens for drama (I'm talking to you, Fiercalicious, Kimmy and at this point Jada) instead of talent. 

Well, with Snatch Game happening next week, I think it'll become a lot more obvious who the remaining filler queens are, but I can't see either Fiercalicious or Kimmy doing well in that challenge, and I'd be willing to bet both end up in the bottom.

Gisèle, Bombae, Vivian, and Irma Gerd are my favorites right now (the last mainly because of her drag name, Ermahgerd!), but Boom Boom's definitely a strong contender.  I can't see the other three lasting much longer.

And since we're talking about how busted the faces have been looking, can we also talk wigs?  It might be because I'm coming into this season straight off of the All-Winners All Stars, but my Christ, these wigs are fucking tragic.

Edited to add:  I'm definitely aware of how the money available to the United States drag queens allows them to heighten their looks, and how the money available to Canada's queens is a whole hell of a lot less.  Still, hairspray is pretty cheap, and flyaways are incredibly visible on hi-def TVs. Can't Production help with that shit?

Edited by Demian
  • Love 1

It would not have been amiss for BLH to send BOTH Jada and Kaos home. Both outfits were AWFUL and neither of them would win the whole thing.

In the preview for next week they showed BLH's hair. W in the actual F is going on north of the border? A Jheri curl?

I think the correct winner was chosen but man did they lay the praise on a bit thick. Also not a lot of humility on Gisele's part when complimented on the outfit. 

• Sad 1

I love Jimbo and was great to see her/him as a judge. 

I am mostly enjoying this season but there is a definite deficiency in certain areas. Season 2 had an amiable cast and was criticized for a lack of drama (big mouths Suki Doll, Eve 6000 and Stephanie Prince being eliminated early). Now it seems like production seem to have directed the cast to manufacture as much drama as possible in Untucked where it feels contrived. 

Also I like the girls but not seeing the talent on the level of Icesis or Pythia last season, especially on the runway. Gisele's win was perhaps fair in terms of ambition and skill but design wise I thought it cluttered and rather ugly. 

• Love 2

I suspect (or at least wonder) if part of the blah-ness this season is due to the fact it's coming hot on the tails of the excellent All Stars season that just wrapped up, so even if we try not to compare, the comparisons are natural. 

I do agree that this season does feel a bit weaker than usual, as does the Australian season going on too. and part of it is having some weaker queens on this round. But I'm still hopeful it will tighten up as  the season goes on and we get out of the spotlight that was the All Stars All Star Season. 

• Like 1

Brook Lynn's hair continues to shock the children! That was atrocious!

Snatch Game was underwhelming, forced laughter notwithstanding. 

Jada did a good job of playing......Jada with a Beard. 

I think the queen make a big mistake when choosing a character that isn't universally known. Especially when they (Lady Boom Boom) have no discernible personality to make the impersonation pop. 

Vivian was ok as Tammy Faye, probably should have won -- I thought Madame Curie was boring, but ten years got that impersonation would have come with a whole bunch of runny mascara. 

In short, a pretty boring bunch of queens. 

• Love 1

Can someone explain to me how Jada was safe? She was non-existent in the Snatch Game and her Periodic Table outfit was basically an encrusted pink cylinder. I feel that for some reason she's above judgement. 

I think Gisèle's Marie Curie was one of the best snatch game performances I've ever seen in all editions of Drag Race. So creative and brave. She is by far my favorite at this point, followed by Vivian and Irma Gerd. To be honest I also like Fierce because at least she's not fake, although I doubt she has any chances of winning this thing. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Marie Curie was a great Snatch game performance. I almost wish she had continued on into the Elements performance and did a design based on Curium but it's hard to tell how the judges would have taken that. I wonder if they knew the Elemental theme was coming and that inspired her to go with Curie.

The Top and Bottom three were the right choices IMO. But I don't agree with the final choice. Lady Boom Boom did better on the final Lip Sync IMO, mainly because she didn't spend half the song stripping off her costume. 

And for some reason Brook seems to like the "wet hair clumpy look" in her wigs, and it just does not work. 

• Love 4
On 8/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, Taeolas said:

I suspect (or at least wonder) if part of the blah-ness this season is due to the fact it's coming hot on the tails of the excellent All Stars season that just wrapped up, so even if we try not to compare, the comparisons are natural. 

I do agree that this season does feel a bit weaker than usual, as does the Australian season going on too. and part of it is having some weaker queens on this round. But I'm still hopeful it will tighten up as  the season goes on and we get out of the spotlight that was the All Stars All Star Season. 

I wouldn't mind seeing both Canada and Down Under becoming biennial events, with each season alternating with each other. And this is less to do with the false assumption that both countries have a smaller talent pool on which to draw than the fact that Production clearly needs more time to improve writing and design better challenges. And to get Brooke Lynn a personal stylist. We need an intervention here!

• Love 1
On 8/12/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mahfouz said:

Brook Lynn's hair continues to shock the children! That was atrocious!

Snatch Game was underwhelming, forced laughter notwithstanding. 

I think the queen make a big mistake when choosing a character that isn't universally known. Especially when they (Lady Boom Boom) have no discernible personality to make the impersonation pop. 

In short, a pretty boring bunch of queens. 

I think that a big part of the problem here was having Brad and Traci as guest judges. Both tanked, with their answers being neither funny nor witty, and that left the queens little to play with, a problem in an improv challenge. The actual questions themselves were also retreads from other seasons, or just dumb, or both.

Irma Gerd gave the best overall performance, and I loved the fact that she thought her third cousin once-removed accent nailed Monroe's actual speech patterns. I would've loved it if she just played Marilyn Monre as if she came from CBS or Dildo. That being said, Giselle was the only queen who got a chuckle out of me with her visual gags, so I'm not disappointed with her win.

With the exception of Giselle and Irma, the most charismatic or interesting queens have all now been eliminated. And none of the remaining queens are really excelling at all the challenges,so it's going to be tough to be invested in a winner.

I'm beginning to think that the Snatch Game we got in S1 was an outlier for this franchise, and that makes me sad. At least this episode was better than S2's affair, which was a disaster.

• Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 6:26 AM, stormy weather said:

I think Gisèle's Marie Curie was one of the best snatch game performances I've ever seen in all editions of Drag Race. So creative and brave. 

What was brave about her performance? 

5 hours ago, Mahfouz said:

What was brave about her performance? 

Not so much about her performance as about her choice of a character. Anyway, maybe I used the wrong word, I just meant it was courageous of her to bring someone from the 19th century about whom we don't know much personality-wise and whose antics are pretty much a mystery to everyone — not to mention the fact that Brooke Lynn (who by the way made my heart skip a beat when he said he didn't know who Marie Curie was) strongly suggested she went with Celine Dion instead and Giséle still stuck to her choice where many others would have followed the show host's advice and changed characters. I don't know, I just thought it was a bold and unique choice, that's all.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just checked and this was only the second time ever someone portrayed a character from the 19th century in the Snatch Game, the first one being Symone's Harriet Tubman in season 14. The only other "historical" characters featured before on the show were Mary Queen of Scots (Rosé - season 13) and William Shakespeare (Lady Camden - season 14), so Marie Curie was definitely not a popular choice!

• Applause 1

Yes I thought Gisele did a great job in Snatch game and is now an obvious frontrunner. Vivian was second for me (her runways though are nice enough but she hasn't wowed me).  Irma's Marilyn was fine - perfectly charming but IMHO one-note.

This weeks runway theme was confusing - the "science" element was seriously lacking in many outfits. I guess they gave them a wide berth in terms of the "elements".

Boom Boom and Kimmy were probably the correct bottom two but sad to see Boom Boom go home - I had pegged her as the series winner and definitely thought she won the lipsync (more emotions rather than tricks). I guess they cut her because she is not bringing any 'drama'.

15 hours ago, stormy weather said:

Not so much about her performance as about her choice of a character. Anyway, maybe I used the wrong word, I just meant it was courageous of her to bring someone from the 19th century about whom we don't know much personality-wise and whose antics are pretty much a mystery to everyone — not to mention the fact that Brooke Lynn (who by the way made my heart skip a beat when he said he didn't know who Marie Curie was) strongly suggested she went with Celine Dion instead and Giséle still stuck to her choice where many others would have followed the show host's advice and changed characters. I don't know, I just thought it was a bold and unique choice, that's all.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just checked and this was only the second time ever someone portrayed a character from the 19th century in the Snatch Game, the first one being Symone's Harriet Tubman in season 14. The only other "historical" characters featured before on the show were Mary Queen of Scots (Rosé - season 13) and William Shakespeare (Lady Camden - season 14), so Marie Curie was definitely not a popular choice!

Thank you.

I tend to disagree in re: picking somebody that has no discernible popular culture cachet because they could literally do anything. Nobody knows what Marie Curie was like. To me, it was the same sort of choice that Boom Boom made: picking an obscure (to most of us) person to portray in Snatch Game. Where is the thrill? Where is the daring-do? 

Picking a recent/modern persona or an ancient one doesn't make much of a difference IMO, because ultimately you are looking to make a caricature of that person that fits in with the cast and makes people laugh. So regardless of who you pick, you need to know enough of them that others will recognize them, while also doing what you can to make them your character. 

Marie Curie was a successful take on that. Sure we don't know what her real personality was like. But we knew the important things she did for radiation research, and that was the hook needed to make the character.  We've seen way too many Snatch game characters where the Queen didn't seem to know even that much about their choice, and had nothing to really work off of. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

We've seen way too many Snatch game characters where the Queen didn't seem to know even that much about their choice, and had nothing to really work off of. 

I agree. Giselle did more than the absolute bare minimum. 

It would be interesting to rank Giselle's Snatch Game win alongside the other victors. My kneejerk analysis is that she wouldn't have won in a year with any sort of decent competition.  But that's a lot of data points to consider. 

Gisle largely brought the jokes with visual gags. There's nothing wrong with that, and it was the funniest of the performances this episode, but this wasn't exactly a nuanced or layered characterization. I liked it just fine, but I don't know what Traci was going on about when she praised Giselle for teaching the audience about the life of Marie Curie during her performance. No, she didn't. She was consistent and amusing, and I liked her quite a bit, but this was one of those comparatively good performances that ultimately doesn't reach the upper tier of what we've seen on this show.

Jinkx and DeLa, Baga and the Viv, and a few others have transcended caricature and given us performance art. None of the queens showed that this episode, or were really as good even as the best queens on S1, but that's okay. Snatch Game is hard, and I appreciate the effort on display.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1

I am shocked that Bombae went home. She had the best commercial (the "taxi driver" and "go back home" shades hahahahaa) and her look on the runway was really something you would see in a Valentino fashion show, no kidding. 

I'm sorry but it seems to me these judges keep judging by politics and not by actual performance, because what shocked me even more than Bombae being eliminated was the ridiculous praise Jada got, once again. She's a sweet girl but her commercial was not so great, her dress compared to the others - except Kimmy - was meh, and her make-up (in a make-up challenge!) was truly, truly awful. Yet, she received the highest praises from almost everyone where others would have been heavily criticized, at least for that make-up.

I understand the importance of the message she wants to send, but at this point it seems like it's all she's got. (Apart from the fact that Bombae, too, was celebrating her culture with a much funnier ad and a waaaaay better dress and instead ended up in the bottom).

Edited by stormy weather
typo
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, stormy weather said:

I'm sorry but it seems to me these judges keep judging by politics and not by actual performance,

If you mean behind-the-scenes WOW drag politics, rather than current sociological headline-grabbing political discourse, then yes, probably. It's clear that Jada is a Production pick for the top, but they always do have their favourites without presenting evidence to the audience why that might be the case, so that's fine. It's certainly not the queens' fault, and I don't blame them. If Jada gets some benefit from it, then good for her; it's not going to give her the win, just as other Production Picks like Gigi, Jorgeous, Kandy, and Silky have discovered.

We saw the same thing with S1 of CDR. I'm not sure why Tynomi's reputation was constantly cited, or why anyone thought the audience would care, but it was apparently a thing with the judges. It was very weird to the 99.98% of the audience not familiar with Toronto's drag politics, and it probably worked against Tynomi..

I personally loved Jada's runway look, and her commercial was fine, so I'm okay with the win.

I love Kimmy, but she had the flat-out worst look, and I thought her stiff, robotic performance in the ad was terrible. I would've switched Irma (who was fine, really) or Bombae (also average) out with her.

Edited by davidcalgary29
On 8/18/2022 at 9:54 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

Tonight's episode was better.  I thought Fiercelicious was the clear winner, Bombae and Irma Gerd belonged in the bottom and Bombae deserved the boot.

They got it right.

I thought that the results were right for the panel's expectations. It's just unfortunate that they didn't really to convey what those were to the contestants, many of whom apparently thought that they were producing a commercial for "make me laugh" RuPaul, and not "I can't feel my face!" Brooke Lynn. There's nothing wrong with making this a "straight" shoot and not a straight-up comedy challenge, but the results skewed with the queens' intentions, and it was probably unfair to judge them without taking that into account.

I was also confused by the concept of the Beauty Shot, as the show really should have explained at the outset that it was all about presenting a mainstream, 2022 Glamour look and not (contrary to the judges' claims) glamour and beauty in general. And that it would be weighed at judging. What is this, season four of Canada's Next Top Model? I thought Irma's beauty shot was fine -- those lower lashes and profile looked a lot like certain styles that were popular in the '60s  and '70s, but I'm not on the panel, so whatever.

Fiercalicious gave an excellent interpretation of Fragonard's "The Swing", and had a good commercial, but she gets 10,000 points deducted for celebrating her "Victorian" heroine. Good god -- I thought every gay was an 18th century sartorial devotee. 

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Fiercalicious gave an excellent interpretation of Fragonard's "The Swing", and had a good commercial, but she gets 10,000 points deducted for celebrating her "Victorian" heroine. Good god -- I thought every gay was an 18th century sartorial devotee. 

LOL yes that "Victorian" comment really sent me. People throw it around to any western olde era that's grand.

Sad to see Bombae go - as a fellow South Asian gay I appreciated the content of her ad although I get maybe she didn't get enough into the makeup content - and I loved her Holi runway. 

I don't know who else I would have put in the bottom with Irma though. I appreciated the BLM concept of Jada's outfit but thought the execution was a bit crunchy. I enjoyed her ad nevertheless.

The lipsync was all over the place - when Bombae was "on" she was quite good - too bad about the slipping top (she should have just ignored it). 

Meanwhile, though she may have been missing the wins, part of me is really rooting for Miss Vivian Vanderpuss Mattel - a sheer delight in the mini challenges especially. 

Edited by Wonderlad71
  • Love 1

Too many man breasts this season. 

Jada's outfit was NOT good. The message was appreciated but the execution, to me, looked a little turd-like. I figured once she got the win in the mini challenge that this was her going home episode so I was a bit disappointed. 

BLH's hair was a little better this week but the bar is low. 

• Love 1

The runway seemed a step up this episode. I thought Irma's look was cool enough to keep her safe. Kimmy's was tragic compared to the rest.

The eye shadow challenge was so rushed, I didn't really get exactly what the brief was aiming for. That judge who was directing it says every single sentence like it has  after it and it drives me nuts. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

The eye shadow challenge was so rushed, I didn't really get exactly what the brief was aiming for. That judge who was directing it says every single sentence like it has  after it and it drives me nuts. 

The panel would be much improved by ditching Brad, bringing back Stacy, and by letting Brooke Lynn borrow Data's Emotion Chip for judging. I'm enjoying Traci on the panel, but she tends to project nervousness and anxiety at times. Own yourself!

• LOL 1