Type keyword(s) to search

RuPaul's Drag Race Canada

• Start Topic

I have no idea why they cast Irma if they were just going to sleep on her all season. Three things wrong with the episode:

1. The editing was atrocious. I turned to my son and partner at the beginning of the episode, after Irma's confessional train started,  and said "she's gone". That was a lazy, paint-by-numbers "let's give her a last hurrah!" editing hackjob, which I'm sure was not a callback to last week's runway.

2. Irma's singing was fantastic in the challenge, and the "Sisters" duet was the best of the numbers. Note, however, that only Traci (grudgingly) admitted that Irma showed real talent. I didn't like Vivian's act and found it boring. Kimmy was screechy, and Jada wasn't as good as the judges claimed that she was. Irma belonged nowhere near the bottom. Still, the editors cut to Irma on multiple occasions during the challenge -- when she was in the chorus -- in an attempt to convince us that she tanked. 

3. Irma won the lipsync. I noted that they had about two solo shots of her on stage, while Gisele had many. The camera actually cut away from Irma multiple times to show Gisele do something,  boringly and slowly, on the stage. Plus, I noted that Gisele missed some of the lyrics.

I'm all for a Gisele win at this point: Fierce is still a twit, Kimmy is awfully grating, and Jada and Vivian are boring. And, one or two runways aside, Jada's drag hasn't really delivered all season.

And Irma made it pretty far into the competition, but Brooke Lynn waved her away, as one would, to an annoying waiter carrying crudites (not the good ones) at a faculty party filled with sweaty graduate students and hostile colleagues openly warring with each other for the one open tenured teaching position. I watch this show for the queens, not the judges! I hope Traci at least threw some glitter on her on the way out.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Irma won the lipsync. I noted that they had about two solo shots of her on stage, while Gisele had many. The camera actually cut away from Irma multiple times to show Gisele do something,  boringly and slowly, on the stage. Plus, I noted that Gisele missed some of the lyrics.

From my vantage point, they were both pretty lazy on the lipsync. An argument could be made either way.

12 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

And Irma made it pretty far into the competition, but Brooke Lynn waved her away, as one would, to an annoying waiter carrying crudites (not the good ones) at a faculty party filled with sweaty graduate students and hostile colleagues openly warring with each other for the one open tenured teaching position.

This is pretty specific. I think someone's working through some trauma lol

• Love 1

It seems like they have been gunning to take Irma out. Not sure why.

Kimmy showing up on the runway in the fourth or fifth variation of the same outfit should not be tolerated, and Jada must be on the chosen list cuz she is often over-praised. 

Brook Lynn is looking better, but please do not give her Data's emotion chip. Look what it did to Lore. LOL 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Yes I was a bit whelmed by episode 7. Thought the musical was meh. Kimmy ate the challenge up but too bad her runway was off theme (futuristic rather than dystopian). Congrats to Ms. Vanderpuss but I thought she was a little stiff.

Giselle should have been saved by her runway while Jada's was basic AF.

Bye Irma - quite a sweetheart and IMO she won the lipsync. 

Well, I'm bummed to lose Vivian while we still have Jada and Kimmy. I loved her energy, and she brings the goods far more consistently than they do.

On the other hand, with the self-sacrificing edit they gave Gisele, when she came out with that unfinished hem I was positive she was going home tonight. And with her emotion when her boyfriend's video was played, too.

But that didn't happen, and my relief at keeping Gisele balances the sadness at Vivian's departure. 

• Love 2

We have a top four!

1. Lady Boom Boom

2. Bombae

3. Irma Gerd

4. Fiercalicious

Oh, wait.

A fun episode, but it was completely predictable from the first ten minutes. Vivian did not belong in the bottom two, but you know it was going to happen because her storyline with Irma had played out. We knew what the critiques were going to be as soon as she opted for pants. And we knew that Jada was going to be saved because she presented an expected look. Jada's gown had a good impact, but had construction issues, and Brooke Lynn's praise for it because "she made it herself!" was terminally ridiculous, becuase Vivian obviously ordered hers off of Amazon Prime and had it delivered overnight. What the hell?

I just don't see how they can crown anyone but Fiercalicious, who remains an absolute twit, but is an -- admittedly -- a severely fashionable and talented one. I note, however, that we didn't get to see a closeup of her third garment and its construction so that we could compare it with Gisele's Disney fantasy, but whatever. I'm mildly interested in the finale with this remaining cast.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes am quite bored at this point. Half of the bottom cast of Seasons 1 and 2 could have made it to the finale this season. No one is really giving me winner energy. 

Yes I thought Vivian was robbed. What a fun and gracious soul but no way was she going to win anyway.

The win is probably between Gisele and Fierce but don't really care too much. Fierce deserved the win this week. Gisele probably had the best last look (except for the hemline) but her wig choices have been a bit baffling. Her real hair is better than some of those this week.

CDR should probably take a break next year. Season 1 got some criticism (re the judging mostly) but the cast, talent and drama was just right and production seemed to have over compensated in some respects to get it 'right'.

• Love 2

Well, I can't say I'm unhappy that Gisele won. The season was just unsatisfying. Maybe it is because Seasons 1 & 2 were just that good.

I felt like Fiercalicious should have lip synced for the crown in place of Jayda or in addition to Jayda and Gisele.

Icesis looked amazing! 

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 4

Wow, I did not expect that outcome. Production must really have not wanted Fierce to win -- why?? 

What a weird finale. The two best dancers (sorry, Jada!), and the winners of the finale challenge,  were kept out of the lipsynch finale. Production chose to showcase a singer known for lush, sweeping ballads instead of energetic, vibrant songs (at least in English). And they then chose a particularly boring track for the lipsynch. Which Jada won. Congratulations, Gisele!

Best-dressed alternates: Boom Boom and, in particular, Bombae. Kaos' BDSM fantasy was also worth a second look; everyone else (translation: Miss Moco) was fine, but kind of forgettable.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Well, I can't say I'm unhappy that Gisele won. The season was just unsatisfying. Maybe it is because Seasons 1 & 2 were just that good.

Season one is still my favourite of the franchise because  it was a Jimbopalooza and had amazing talent in Lemon and Rita Baga. It also had a number of excellent challenges Still, I can't watch any of the judging because it's severely triggering. Season two was fine, but comparatively boring. This season was an interesting mix of personalities and talent; it just sort of lacked a queen that everyone could rally around. Any one of the losing top four (and Boom Boom and Bombae) would make an excellent addition to an "...versus the World!" cast, though, and none of the queens were flat-out duds or unwelcome. 

I was disappointed in the choices for the Final 2. I would have preferred Fierce and KC to lip-sync but Giselle winning isn't the WORST outcome. She was a decent queen in a really bad season. No effing way JSH should have been in the final two, her makeup was ASS all season. Although I have to say Giselle is lucky it wasn't an Aretha song for the final sync. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I'm fine with Gisele's win, but it should have been Gisele vs Fierce for the crown. That we didn't get the usual 3 song Lip sync for the Crown at the end was a slap in the face IMO. It made the finger on the scales all the more obvious just to throw the Top 3&4 queens out like that without any real chance to save themselves. 

• Love 3

Fierce and KC performed the best in the challenged. and Fierce served the best runway. and then they were summarily booted so as not to outshine the chosen winner in the final lip sync. When will this show stop trying to create narratives and pick favorites and realize that the audience just wants the one who REALLY rose to the top to win. I like Gisselle a lot too and was rooting for her throughout much of the competition, but by the end, I thought Fierce nosed ahead at the tape. So be it. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Fierce and KC performed the best in the challenged. and Fierce served the best runway. and then they were summarily booted so as not to outshine the chosen winner in the final lip sync. When will this show stop trying to create narratives and pick favorites and realize that the audience just wants the one who REALLY rose to the top to win. I like Gisselle a lot too and was rooting for her throughout much of the competition, but by the end, I thought Fierce nosed ahead at the tape. So be it. 

I think the real problem is that Production was scared of Fierce in much the same way they were freaked out by Jimbo: they didn't know what to do with either of them, so gave them messy edits that couldn't win them the title, but which also let them be very relatable who audience members who could see undeniable talent and ferocious competitive drive beneath, respectively, adolescent brattiness (Fierce) or MegaBoobs (no guesses). And who doesn't love an underdog, especially when they create amazing runway looks out of whorish eighteenth-century rococo paintings?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

So Canada vs the World is coming. And Silky Nutmeg Ganache is coming with it. I pray to the drag gods that without Ru to prop her up, she's out quickly.

My two favorites are Icesis Couture and Victoria Scone, so I suppose they'll be Jumboed and Pangina'd with early exits and the winner will be Silky.

I'm not sure I can watch another season of Silky. At least Gia Gunn and Alexis Michelle won't be on.

• Love 1

I'm hoping that this season will be filled with impenetrable and untranslatable bits of Canadiana -- references to The Beachcombers, Corner Gas, Les Bougon, and The Friendly Giant all welcome -- so that they can flummox and vex the international participants. And someone had better do Marg Delahunty for Snatch Game!!

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Starchild said:

@davidcalgary29 I have a question that isn't strictly about Drag Race Canada, but it does involve a Canadian queen and Crave. 

Do we know if Crave will carry Drag Race Belgium, hosted by Rita Baga?

Ths from Metro:

Devant être diffusée sur WOW Presents Plus en 2023, Drag Race Belgique est la deuxième version en français de RuPaul’s Drag Race dans le monde après Drag Race France, dont la présentation débutait la semaine dernière sur différentes plateformes (dont Crave au Québec).

I can't imagine that there will be a distinct licensing agreement for different Canadian jurisdictions, so I can't see why they wouldn't offer it throughout Canada on Crave isntead of just in Quebec (and New Brunswick). We did get Drag Race France, so I don't see why we'd be shut out of Belgium, our European doppelganger. I'm sure it'll be on. Eventually.

• Like 1

For anyone who hasn't heard, Anastarzia Anaquway and Kimora Amour will be competing in Amazing Race Canada starting tomorrow (July 4), so head on over to that forum to discuss their cross-country fabulousness.

• Like 1

This was pretty good, glad no one went home. Brooke looks as fabulous as ever.

Denim reminds me a little of Willow Pill. Maybe that's just because her style is quirky, and she's small lol.

I don't have any favourites yet.

The valley speak is strong in this one.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Starchild said:

This was pretty good, glad no one went home. Brooke looks as fabulous as ever.

...and has definitely had some work done on her face in the off-season. She looked stunning on the panel, and looks incredible in next week's promo, but that workroom 'look' -- NO.

I think that this is a great group of queens. I hate to say it, but Venus and the Girlfriend Experience are probably my favourites. Venus reminds me a lot of stunning S3 Guest Judge Sarain Fox, and Girlfriend is clearly who Carrie Bradshaw thinks she is (but is not). Stunning, stunning, stunning. 

I hope Nearah Nuff pulls it together so she can last more than the early exit I'm predicting. 

I'm rooting for Denim, but that lipsync was a hallucinatory experience as I started to count teats instead of beats. Crystal Method scrambled with Gottmik and Boa, glazed with Utica? Hmm...

Kitten Kaboodle is 57? That's just a wow, and with Melinda, out of drag, is a whole lot of "yum".

I felt really badly about Melinda's backstory, but really don't like her paint.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 4

The correct decisions were made by all, although Kitten probably should have realized that Girlfriend did not belong in the bottom two and given her Beaver to someone else. There was just no way that the panel was going to send Girlfriend packing at this point: she could have done nothing and still stayed. She could have called in Charlie Hides to bring her smooth moves on the stage and pinch-hit for her in a lipsynch battle and still stayed! Sisi was always going to be toast. Sisi was lovely, but I hope she really does take a look at herself on TV. Work on those outfits and your mug, girl! She's literally Laila McQueen, ca. 2016.

Denim and Kiki were also terrible on their team, and boring as well. At least Sisi had some cute moments.

Who else was waiting for Kitten to make a call out to Jimbo during her tap-dance routine and announce that she'd just shit herself?

The decision to omit Aurora from the top was ridiculous -- she should have landed there for her stunning runway alone. 

I'm rooting for my Edmonton girl, but Melinda's makeup looks like what Darienne Lake leaves on her rags when she wipes off her paint at the end of a show. What. The. Hell?

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Sisi was lovely, but I hope she really does take a look at herself on TV. Work on those outfits and your mug, girl! She's literally Laila McQueen, ca. 2016.

Not to mention that walk.

13 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Who else was waiting for Kitten to make a call out to Jimbo during her tap-dance routine and announce that she'd just shit herself?

She's not as bold as Jimbo.

• Like 1

I can't disagree with the ouster of the Girlfriend Experience. In this format anyway, she's one of those queens who can't really do anything other than look good. It's simply not enough anymore.

Another one exposed as less than well-rounded in that mini-challenge was Denim. She's cute, but I can't see her winning a competition like this.

• Like 2
On 11/30/2023 at 10:01 PM, Starchild said:

I can't disagree with the ouster of the Girlfriend Experience. In this format anyway, she's one of those queens who can't really do anything other than look good. It's simply not enough anymore.

Another one exposed as less than well-rounded in that mini-challenge was Denim. She's cute, but I can't see her winning a competition like this.

It was a fair outcome (and elimination), but we can still be sad to see her go. I'm not sure if it was nerves that got the best of her, or if there was something else that was going on -- probably a bit of both -- but it's clear that she has loads of talent, and I'm sure that a spot on some future AS season will be hers for the asking.

Either this is a great cast, or editing has finally caught up with the queens' talent, because this is a pretty engaging bunch. One gripe: the cameras kept cutting to both Kitten and Girlfriend during the maxi challenge, making it obvious who was going to be lipsynching at the end. Stop this now! I don't need Easter Egg spoilers in the middle of each episode!

The runway was excellent. Most of the looks on all of the runways have been really great, although this has traditionally been a strong point for this franchise.

• Like 1

Wow, I usually hate drama, and feel badly that Melinda's clearly going through it, but I couldn't tear away myself for the last ten minutes of the episode. This is certainly the most amount of authentic tension that we've seen on screen since what, S4 of USDR? And I actually liked Melinda's outfit, but that bottom placement was fair given the nature of the challenge. And her makeup was...not good, but better! So ending up in the bottom three sucked for her.

That lipsync was fire, and they both deserved to stay after that. The entire cast continues to be endlessly entertaining, and that's a nice change from the prior seasons of this franchise. 

• Like 1
On 12/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

That lipsync was fire, and they both deserved to stay after that.

Amy did not know the words to most of the song. She only knew these ones.

“I don’t hate anyone. There’s no need for hate but Neera… is a fuckin’ bitch.  And now I can see it.  Now, I can feel it. Now, I can smell it. And it’s making me high.” 

Imagine what she's like when she actually does hate someone.

• LOL 3

Not impressed this week.

That snatch game was meh. The top girls didn't really deserve the tongue bath they got just because they weren't as awful as the rest.

And the lip sync was lethargic. Not entirely the girls' fault, the song felt very mid-energy. Not really suited to this format I don't think.

Jaida was cute, as always. Looking forward to seeing her hosting on We're Here.

• Like 1

To be fair, aside from S1 -- which was stellar -- all of Canada's Snatch Games have been meh. But some of the blame must be placed at the feet of the panel: aside from a fairly animated Brooke Lynn, both Brad and Traci lacked the presence and charisma to turn a mediocre response into a memorable one. Just compare this with AS7: aside from three excellent turns (Jinkx, Trinity, and Raja if you're counting), the other performances were either okay (Yvie's Boogieman) or terrible (Yvie's other awful character), but Michelle's clear sense of enjoyment made even the worst answer bearable. So there's that. But yes, it was pretty meh.

What I find fascinating about the editing this season is that the workroom conversations have been pushed to the fore of the show -- and it's the Main Challenges that feel like afterthoughts. I haven't seen this before in any other season of Drag Race. It's almost like the Queens are filming a documentary about being on Drag Race, and then have to get into character to perform the actual episode, with sometimes (as seen tonight) lackluster results. Melinda's monologue about self-producing herself to deal with backlash from last week's soap opera before she's even seen the footage was both brilliant and disturbing, as was the other queens' attempt to reconcile dealing with an actual mental health issue with the constraints of being on a competitive reality programme.

I don't know if this is the best season of C:DR, but it really is shaping up to be the strangest.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1

Things that made me say “Uh Oh”

Melinda, for the first five minutes of the show.

Luna DuBois on her Snatch Game energy- “…get those funny bones goin’” (reminded me of “let’s get this roast a cookin’”.)

Kiki Coe on her Liz Taylor - “I can’t do her voice, but…”

Melinda wins Snatch Game over Kitten - for table turning theatrics.

Kiki to Melinda- “Don’t feel obligated to save me because I saved you.”

Brooke Lynn Hytes - Her wig for next week

Thing I just got

When someone is saved, Brooklyn says “Well, I’ll be damned”, not out of surprise (like I thought last week), but because a beaver is involved.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Melinda's monologue about self-producing herself to deal with backlash from last week's soap opera before she's even seen the footage was both brilliant and disturbing

I was snapping through this. She was all alone on Shrieking Harpy island and then figured out how to save face at the mirror.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 1

Wow, what a great episode! These lipsync battles usually bore me to tears, but having the winners advance ensured that the quality of the matchups only improved with each round.

This is the first time in a long time that I've felt that the season is too short.

• Like 2

So many good lip sync battles! 

I was sad to see Kitten basically just stand there.  If she had some C&W boot scoot moves she could have won against Melinda, who was doing way too much for the song.

But everyone else gave it their all, which was good to see. 

Nasty Neera was at it again, getting a dig in at Aimee without provocation, but she is a great dancer. I hope she gets to go on one of those lucrative Werq the World tours or gets a spot at the Vegas show.  Of course, I was hoping for the same for Anetra, yet so far, no dice.

On 12/24/2023 at 10:10 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

Nasty Neera was at it again, getting a dig in at Aimee without provocation, but she is a great dancer.

Yeah, Neera is super talented (although possibly a one-trick pony), but doesn't seem to be a very nice person. So I'm not really rooting for her.

Kinda feel the same about Denim. Very unique but kind of entitled. She was really giving off "I'm better than you" vibes when she was in the bottom.

I enjoy Nearah's brattiness, and was disgruntled that she didn't win tonight. Exactly who else was going to pull off that famed "Sequins on the Runway" reveal and all of the acrobatics? Aurora was busy winning the episode for an admittedly difficult role for which she did not have to lipsync, and it's clear that no one else wanted to touch the "Season 11" role with a ten-foot pole. And Nearah had to do all of her floor exercises while performing (well) the words of her song. Blah, blah, "expected" my ass. What else was she supposed to do with a high energy number, Brooke? I'm completely fine with Aurora's win, by the way, although it felt like a gimme after she lost a tossup of a win last week. 

Okay, Nearah's runway gave me flashbacks to awful mid-'70s "formal" fashion wear I saw as a kid, or perhaps the Lawrence Welk Show. This is not a compliment. So I take her down a notch for that. Don't praise Nearah for being tacky, panel!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind Denim's whining all that much. I've actually really enjoyed the entire cast this season, which is a first. 

I'm waiting with bated breath for the nightmare that Melinda will hopefully gift us with next week. Please give your partner freaky contacts, a busted mug, and a tatty outfit, Melinda. And then declare that you should have been in the top, and then have a meltdown, and then scream at Brad, who certainly deserves it. Pretty please?

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

That was a fun episode, but we all knew how this one was going to go two episodes ago, as a fan favourite is Jimboed out of the season right before the finale, and that's a bummer. While I'm happy that

Spoiler

Nearah

made it to the next episode, I think that there could have easily been an alternate in the bottom two.

The lipsync was great, and

Spoiler

Melinda

gave  her best lipsync performance of the season! I will miss her, but think she still could have screamed at Brad for all of us on her way out.

Edited by davidcalgary29

I can't deny Denim did a great job and deserved to win. How people reach bottom in a design challenge is always a black box, so I held out hope that Melinda would be safe and Aurora would send Nearah home, but it was not to be.

Buffy seemed to do ok, so I wonder if she would have been better received by the judges if her arms had been covered. Based on her obsession with her boyfriend's body (and a bit of relationship exhibitionism), I guess Nearah just  couldn't bring herself to do that lol.

• Like 1

So far Season 4 has shaped up to be much more coherent, memorable and intriguing than Season 3. I like this Top 4 well enough, although they all have their weak points . 

I think I am rooting for Aurora Matrix - her lipsyncing is next level and she is just gorgous. Venus is cool as well and I have grown to like her too (this week with her mum was very sweet) - but am a bit old school in that I'd prefer if she'd pad a bit.

Nearah is very talented in that regard as well (Lipsyncing)- I don't read her as particularly malicious but that she will cut a bitch that stands in her way (like in a camp Dreamgirls-esque parody way). 

Denim is a great design/look queen but a bit one dimensional  - she gives me Willow Pill- lite,  but I still like her and am glad she made the final. (Dawn on RPDR Season 16 seems to be one to watch from this archetype). 

With regards to Melinda Verga - did not care for her too much - but she understandably seemed to have lots of support with her salt-of-the-earth cranky aunty persona.