Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Clueless

Lainey has a difficult choice regarding her relationship with Barry and her friendship with CB. Coach Mellor and Julie are put in a tough parenting position when Toby is invited to prom as a freshman by a senior.

So glad to finally see Lainey and CB get together after a two season slow burn. Really glad she's done with Barry, who hasn't seemed to mature since the 80's in the original show. Apparently due to COVID-19 they weren't able to actually film the breakup episode before the finale, so I'm sure more went down than the rushed intro than this episode which probably would have been nice to see but I'm not too bothered by it. 

• Love 5

Yes they definitely had an episode that was supposed to be before this that they had to skip. Considering the whole love triangle is really the only continuous storyline this show has it made this episode’s revelations come out of nowhere. 

Based on the ending montage with all the real life teachers, they might be expecting this to be cancelled anyways. ABC has a bunch of middling rated sitcoms that could really go either way. It really depends on if Schooled is a package deal with Goldbergs or not.

• Love 6

The show did a stellar job of recreating some of the elements of "Clueless." The yellow plaid suit and the sheer white dress were exact copies of the outfits worn by Alicia Silverstone In that film.

The sequence where Lainey realizes she loves CB was an exact recreation down to her walking down the street into the store,  the fountain in the background, and the blocking of the scene.  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

Yes they definitely had an episode that was supposed to be before this that they had to skip. Considering the whole love triangle is really the only continuous storyline this show has it made this episode’s revelations come out of nowhere. 

Based on the ending montage with all the real life teachers, they might be expecting this to be cancelled anyways. ABC has a bunch of middling rated sitcoms that could really go either way. It really depends on if Schooled is a package deal with Goldbergs or not.

It kind of sucks because if this does get cancel, would the teachers and Couch now move to The Goldbergs? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

It kind of sucks because if this does get cancel, would the teachers and Couch now move to The Goldbergs? 

We would get coach the Tim back on the show since they were part of the original school cast. HOWEVER... there is a question on if Goldbergs would continue after next year. 

Freaking finally! The break up between Barry and Lainey breaking up off-screen does seem rather anti climactic, like they had to throw it together due to the production break when they originally planned to make it a whole episode, but I already watched Barry and Lainey have a big dramatic breakup on The Goldburgs, and that would have been fine! But they just kept this whole thing stretched out forever, so I am just happy to see some real progress. Barry and Lainey are done, CB and Lainey are finally becoming a thing, I am happy. 

The recreation of the Clueless scene was really on point, it looked exactly the same as the I Love Josh scene, and Lainey looked lovely in that outfit. 

• Love 6

Everyone's talking about how Lainey and Barry's breakup got the short shrift, but they disposed of Paloma pretty quickly too.  Assuming she is really out of the picture.

I guess it's okay that they have Lainey and CB getting together finally, but do they have to tie everything into a movie?  Would Lainey have ever fallen for CB if she hadn't seen Clueless?  Did Adam Goldberg make all his decisions based on what movie he saw recently?

I hope Schooled doesn't get cancelled.  It seems like it's barely gotten off the ground.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Did anyone notice the little commercial break she did during the Goldbergs.  It looked like she didn't have very much makeup on and she looked beautiful. 

Was that the one where she was sheltering at home, holding the dog?  She looked very natural.  On Schooled it looks like they've got her plastered with makeup most of the time.

• Love 8
Just now, Robert Lynch said:

ABC is pretty unpredictable when it comes to canceling shows without any reason, though.

While CBS keeps shows on WAY past expiration date. 

• Love 3
On 5/14/2020 at 12:54 AM, gsnrocks92 said:

Could've also just been something to do with Covid given schools shut down and the uncertainty of fall classes in most places.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Could've also just been something to do with Covid given schools shut down and the uncertainty of fall classes in most places.

Lots of shows don't know what the plan is. If they have been cancelled, the decision was made before the episodes aired. Others are trying to get an idea of how the new seasons will start, most are meeting in online meetings in June and July and going from there. I know Supernatural just announced they never finished the last 6 episodes of the FINAL season. So, they are going to film where there just need to be 4 people at at time including filming crews and then do the major scenes when they can. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh man I loved this episode! If it is the series finale (I HOPE NOT!) it had a heart warming and satisfying conclusion for sure. But if it does come back they could keep the Lainey/CB drama going and have CB deciding to go with Paloma after all, afraid Lainey isn't sure or that she's rebounding after Barry. As for Barry, it was obvious the filming interruption caused the Barry break up to be glossed over. Fine with me. The less Barry the better.

The Clueless homage was really flawless. They even featured the three best outfits from the movie! The second I saw the clips in the beginning and they played the "Oh my God...I love Josh!" fountain scene I knew they would include a CB equivalent. 

The chunnel scene nailed the classic teen movie theme to a T.  

I really hope the show comes back whenever shows come back now. I look forward to it every week. Its kind hearted and fun. It may be a traditional formula done a hundred times before but its done well and I enjoy it. Everyone is awesome in their roles. It deserves to have a third season.

I think I'll go watch Clueless now...

Edited by CharethCutestory
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

As for Barry, it was obvious the filming interruption caused the Barry break up to be glossed over. Fine with me. The less Barry the better.

At least something good came out of filming being shut down. I am perfectly happy we didn't have to watch some drawn out breakup scene between them. I'm perfectly happy if the show forgets that any of the Goldberg's ever existed. 

I was neither here nor there about Lainey and CB but I liked the ep and thought they were cute together so I'm good with it. Hope they just let them be a couple. This is a workplace comedy for me, not a romcom.

• Love 2