Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Spoilers & Spoilered Discussion [PUT HEAVY & COMPLETE SPOILAGE HERE]

Kromm
  • Start Topic

An entire episode has leaked, as well as scripts. I suppose it makes sense to put discussion of that in one place rather than it dribbling into other topics not properly marked.

Having read the first script and bits and pieces of the rest, I'm kind of disappointed. I knew the new Doctor was supposed to be a bit darker, but he's just coming across as unlikable and rude, especially to Clara. I never saw the sixth Doctor, but it reminds me of how fans describe him and his relationship to his companion. He's also just as absent-minded as Eleven, if not worse, but that's mostly due to the regeneration in the first episode--I haven't read enough of his scenes in subseqent episodes to tell if it sticks around, but I hope not.

Clara isn't coming across very well, either--there's more than one scene where she makes a crack about Danny Pink about having killed people at war, then she gets huffy and doesn't get it when he reacts badly to this. She doesn't know that he has PTSD when they first meet, but he makes it pretty obvious and she just comes across like an incredibly insensitive person.

Also, the scripts sometimes seem like they are written by a fourth grader, or Michael Bay. There are multiple times where the line "AND THEN IT EXPLODES!!!!" appears, and I'm not adding in the caps lock or exclamation points; that's actually how it's written! The grammar is pretty bad too. Moffat's trademark dialogue is there too, with people talking mostly in catchphrases or ambiguous pronouncements meant to conceal information more than reveal it--this used to be fun, but it's just worn really thin for me. I'd rather they just talked like people.

(edited)

I respect that the BBC hasn't come out and said "shame on you if you viewed this stuff" but rather that they want people who HAVE seen it "not to share" the information gained in a way that spoils it for everyone.

I actually think that reinforces the need for a topic like this.  If it's all in one well labeled place, at least it won't be willy nilly all over the forum.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I DO mind being spoiled for some shows (I'm looking at you Game Of Thrones!) but with Doctor Who? a little spoiling goes a long way.

I remember when the script for the new who was leaked and people said nine came across as rude. But when I saw the ep I didn't find him to be rude at all --just damaged. I will wait to see what the actor does with the roll and how he portrays it before I judge.

But seriously? When are new episodes Doctor Who coming back to the US? Or even airing in the UK?

I was a naughty girl and skimmed thru the 2 scripts that Moffat wrote. I think the 4th episode called "Listen" is going to be a classic. It's both everything I love AND find eye-rolling about Moffats writing, but from the brief skimming, I think this is going to be a great ep for Clara, and I cant wait to see it on the screen.

• Love 2

I love Clara so that sounds good to me!

I really WANT to love Clara and from all the spoilers I've seen for this coming season, this is going to be her year! She has a more mature wardrobe and I LOVED the way she took control of her own destiny in the episode called "Listen" that I mentioned above. Of course, we have to see how it all looks on screen but I'm hopeful. (But no one will match Rory Williams in my heart as No. 1 best Nu-who companion :))

I thought it was interesting how defensive the dialog about the Doctor's age seemed.  And the Doctor's obsession about why he picked this face - sounds like this is where they plan on explaining Peter Capaldi's presence in the Torchwood/Pompeii episodes?

(edited)

I haven't read the scripts but Matt's Doctor had lived a long long long long life. He probably felt old and the weight of everything that happened in that face. Easy to explain why he would chose another old face. The New Who Doctors have live longer than all of the Classic Who combined even if the classic had more episodes :p

And Pompeii is one of the New Who events the Doctor felt guilty about creating. If he's all in trying to deal the dark things he's lived and even helped to create I can see why taking a familiar face from one of those dark events could happen.

They probably won't even mention ‎John Frobisher.

Though that man ended up killing his whole family and himself

. Maybe the Doctor feels guilty that he wasn't around to stop the events of COE

earlier than Jack did with the death of his grandson

. But Perhaps Frobisher is an ancestor of Caecilius so maybe the doctor might feel bad about the good thing he did in Pompeii

Edited by tarotx

I haven't read the scripts but Matt's Doctor had lived a long long long long life. He probably felt old and the weight of everything that happened in that face. Easy to explain why he would chose another old face.

They wouldn't be making such a point of it being the SAME face as a previous one though, if it didn't have specific meaning.  So it's about more than it just being an old face, it's THAT face that matters.  They may not need to invoke the Torchwood version at all though, since they have several to work with.

(edited)

I know. That is why I went into that later in my post....

They wouldn't be making such a point of it being the SAME face as a previous one though, if it didn't have specific meaning.  So it's about more than it just being an old face, it's THAT face that matters.  They may not need to invoke the Torchwood version at all though, since they have several to work with.

I know some people think they will be some Malcolm Tucker references but I never watched that show so that will be something I'll have to look into once/if the episodes goes there. 

Edited by tarotx
(edited)

I broke down and watched the leaked episode one. I cant wait to see it again with all the bells and whistles! I was interested from beginning to end. Peter is mesmerizing as the Doctor. THis is the best I have liked Clara, who almost feels like  different person here. Vastra and Jenny are used well here, as long time associates of the doctor who help Clara adjust.  The chemistry between peter and Jenna is very good, and it is a relief to have all that shippy stuff over ( IMO and also I was a HUGE Doctor/River shipper so I obviously have liked that stuff in the past but its nice to move on to new stuff).

Only a few times did I cringe at obviously Moffaty lines and I feel he has reigned in his worst excesses and let shine what is so brilliant about him.

Cant wait to see what the fandom has to say about it all after the 8/23 premiere.

Also, I had skimmed the scripts a few weeks back and this comes off SO much better on screen than on paper.

Edited by debi49
  • Love 3

I’ve watched the first 3 leaked episodes and I’m liking it a great deal, which is a pleasant surprise as I found the writing in the Matt Smith era a little convoluted with the River and Clara stories.

This is all about getting to know the new Doctor, and I think that he is going to be fantastic.

There appears to be a series arc and a couple of little odd things that are mysteries yet to unfold, so I’m hooked.

I agree with you @debi49 there is still a cringe factor but it is more restrained. IMHO there is a little more subtle comedy.

I’ve watched the first 3 leaked episodes and I’m liking it a great deal, which is a pleasant surprise as I found the writing in the Matt Smith era a little convoluted with the River and Clara stories.

This is all about getting to know the new Doctor, and I think that he is going to be fantastic.

There appears to be a series arc and a couple of little odd things that are mysteries yet to unfold, so I’m hooked.

I agree with you @debi49 there is still a cringe factor but it is more restrained. IMHO there is a little more subtle comedy.

I'm so happy to hear that.  I thought the River stuff became more and more convoluted (to borrow your word) as the Matt Smith era progressed.  I'm glad the initial reactions to Twelve are so positive.  I'm ready for a new Doctor!

• Love 1

Doctor Who - Episode 8.04 - Listen - Promo
Posted by Nirat Anop at Saturday, September 06, 2014
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/doctor-who-episode-804-listen-promo.html

Doctor Who - Episode 8.04 - Listen - Promotional Photos [HQ]
Posted by DarkUFO at Tuesday, September 09, 2014
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/doctor-who-episode-804-listen.html

Doctor Who - Episode 8.05 - Time Heist - Press Release
Posted by DarkUFO at Monday, September 08, 2014
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/doctor-who-episode-805-time-heist-press.html

Thank you for that link!

Does speculation also go here?

If you're talking about unspoiled speculation; as there isn't a thread for that, I am sure the DW mods will be fine with me saying feel free to start one. However if you mean spoilered speculation yes, that belongs here.

• Love 1

David Schofield cast as Odin in the two parter The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived. This is the one with Maisie Williams. Is it also a sequel to either Greatest Show in the Galaxy or Curse of Fenric? Okay, probably not. But the haemovores were pretty cool, I'd like to see them back at some point.

Of course, they are going to ignore the obvious answer to the question. Can the Doctor kill a child? No, because doing so here would fundamentally re-write his own timeline plus alter the history of the entire universe. If ever there was a fixed point in time, it should be Davros and his creation of the Daleks, with the inevitability of the events playing out in Genesis standing as proof. But that would be too simple.

I need to get myself into a more positive frame of mind before the season airs. It is possible that avoiding spoilers might help, they only ever make me feel worse!