Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Jump

A dramatic detour finds Ruby and Billy in unknown territory as they’re forced to make a life-changing decision. As Ruby tries to keep everything together and get back on course, she and an emotional Billy seek the help of an amiable local taxidermist, Laurel.

Airing Sunday, May 10, 2020.

Wow. I sure wasn't expecting that. I suppose Fiona wasn't gonna exit this any way short of dying, but I guess I just thought this wasn't that kind of show. It's pretty far from what the first ep was implicitly promising!

If Ruby had just done the right thing and called in Fiona's death right away, at least she wouldn't have left her phone behind. Karma.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well the show finally became interesting. 

This should have been episode 3 or 4, more the type of show I was expecting, its just coming too late in the story. 

Even before she left her phone I started thinking :  are there cameras on trains?  Do they count passengers to know if people disappeared mid trip?  Who knows where Fiona was going in Chicago?  How far back can Fiona's actions and journey be traced?  Fingerprints at the house?  Footprints? 

Then she leaves the phone and well, they're screwed. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 3

Well, things definitely took a turn this week!

I want to feel bad for Laurence since his wife just disappeared without a word, but the fact that he's clinging so desperately to the lie that everything can somehow be okay between them if she doesn't admit what's really happening, to the point where he's demanding that she tell him that she's at a yoga retreat in Malibu, makes me think that Ruby was right to run from him (which doesn't excuse her abandoning her kids, but still). 

As a Fleabag fan, it was fun to see Phoebe Waller-Bridge pop up. Was she the same person who was running away from the house in the background when Ruby and Billy left? I know that they were freaked out but when you are leaving a murder scene and you run into a stranger, maybe don't use your real names?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well, things definitely took a turn this week!

I want to feel bad for Laurence since his wife just disappeared without a word, but the fact that he's clinging so desperately to the lie that everything can somehow be okay between them if she doesn't admit what's really happening, to the point where he's demanding that she tell him that she's at a yoga retreat in Malibu, makes me think that Ruby was right to run from him (which doesn't excuse her abandoning her kids, but still). 

As a Fleabag fan, it was fun to see Phoebe Waller-Bridge pop up. Was she the same person who was running away from the house in the background when Ruby and Billy left? I know that they were freaked out but when you are leaving a murder scene and you run into a stranger, maybe don't use your real names?

I don't know that is what her husband is doing.  I think he just wanted her to admit what was happening rather than having to confront her with it.  And I think he is afraid if he tells he what he knows now she will just disappear and never return......which seems to be exactly what she is planning.  Plus she seems to have some sort of mental problems based on his past comments, so there may be legitimate concern about what state of mind she is in and what she may do if forced into a corner. 

I did not even realize that was Phoebe Waller Bridge until the credits. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As a Fleabag fan, it was fun to see Phoebe Waller-Bridge pop up. Was she the same person who was running away from the house in the background when Ruby and Billy left?

I'm pretty sure it was a man who was running away.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

I'm pretty sure it was a man who was running away.

Totally missed seeing this person. Had he been in the house?

(edited)

Yeah it was a guy who ran away.

So Billy texted one of the times as part of a book pitch, not necessarily because he wanted to get with Fiona.  But it isn’t necessarily this time.  Oh has he only initiated the “run” text just once while Ruby has initiated it at least twice?

Ruby tells Laurence what he wanted to hear.  But she has that call right after Fiona meets her demise?  So she figures it’s better to have options?

Except Laurence knows that they texted each other because her Messages account is mirrored on a MacBook that he’s looking at in their home. Did he know about the pact?

If they get a good enough phone signal, they could use a mapping app. and not have to ask “where are we” or talk about WiFi.

There is also the possibility that PWB stole Ruby’s phone when they hugged.  Yeah the decision to leave the scene complicates matters.  If them staying together wasn’t in doubt before, well now they have to worry about staying out of prison.

Edited by scrb
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

For three people to jump off a moving train and not one of them suffer any broken bones or sprains is quite the stroke of luck. And that's about all I have to say about this episode, except that Fiona's gruesome end did surprise me. 

• Love 2

I don't think Lawrence wants Ruby to admit what she's doing. He knows she must be with Billy, but he wants to put his head in the sand and pretend it isn't true - to the point that he's demanding that she claim she's at the yoga retreat.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Elbow said:

Totally missed seeing this person. Had he been in the house?

Presumably. He's running out the from the opposite side as Ruby & Billy leave. 

And I too think it was a man. He must have been hiding somewhere in the house.

Laurence has been all over the place in his reactions. Cancelling her cards, leaving that awful voice message and then pleading with her to confirm she's at the yoga retreat when he knows it to be false! Like I get why he is very upset and maybe going from vindictive to desperate is understandable.  But wow - their marriage is a mess.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, scrb said:

There is also the possibility that PWB stole Ruby’s phone when they hugged.

They made it a point to show Ruby putting her phone down before she got the bucket of water. She never picked it up again so she left it at the scene (meaning PWB didn’t steal it out of her pocket at the train station). IIRC Ruby never walked back to where she put her phone down. She got the bucket, tossed the water, and then told Billy they had to leave. As they started walking away, she remembered the bag of money and Billy turned around to get it but she stayed where she was. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

They made it a point to show Ruby putting her phone down before she got the bucket of water. She never picked it up again so she left it at the scene (meaning PWB didn’t steal it out of her pocket at the train station). IIRC Ruby never walked back to where she put her phone down. She got the bucket, tossed the water, and then told Billy they had to leave. As they started walking away, she remembered the bag of money and Billy turned around to get it but she stayed where she was. 

During that scene, I was thinking, "They left her phone and the money!" Then she sent him for the money. I was hoping they'd just done a jump cut that didn't show her picking up her phone, but she did indeed leave it on the steps.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

For three people to jump off a moving train and not one of them suffer any broken bones or sprains is quite the stroke of luck. And that's about all I have to say about this episode, except that Fiona's gruesome end did surprise me. 

I only train hopped once, during my misspent youth, but leaping off the moving train was actually less of an event than climbing onto the moving train...or tight rope walking on a drain pipe over a canal to escape the police...

• Love 1

It's a different show than the one I signed up for. I'll finish it out, but what excited me about the concept has turned into something that doesn't really excite me very much. 

Was Laurence seeing a mirror of her messaging app on her laptop, or did he have spyware on her phone? They've gone back and forth on him so many times that his character is impossible to understand. Decent guy? Asshole? Devious? Having an affair with the magically appearing blue-haired nanny? 

Haven't they been gone like three days now? Things seem to have moved quite quickly. 

And now we have a murder (or at least manslaughter), which Billy clearly committed. And all the fun of seeing them impossibly run from the police. Also, with all the talk of Ruby's phone, did anyone think about Fiona's? That's pretty much all the clues anyone would need. 

Different show. Sort of interesting, but not the one I signed up for.   

• Love 2

It’s nice to know there’s at least one thing PWB doesn’t excel at, and that’s an American accent. Her character was from 3 or 4 different regions. :)

• LOL 1
(edited)

I hate to ask this but why Ruby she fill a bucket of water up and throw it near the dead body? Did I miss something?

Edited by BC4ME
49 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I hate to ask this but why Ruby she fill a bucket of water up and throw it near the dead body? Did I miss something?

It was to wash away Billy's puke, presumably to get rid of evidence of their presence.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

It was to wash away Billy's puke, presumably to get rid of evidence of their presence.

Yeah like that's going to work perfectly.