Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Let Them Eat Cake

• Start Topic

On Camp Getaway, we'll meet owner and camp director David Schreiber, executive camp director Claire Sorrels, senior social coordinators Adam Mizrahi and Monica O'Neal, and social coordinators Gavin Stewart, Glen North, Neely Fortune, Nile Lundgren, Randall Klein, and Sophia D'Angelo.

I cant believe they made a show of this. Way back in the day, when I was in my 20's I used to go up there for the weekend. It was a lot of fun and all the camp sports were great. Made a lot of lifetime friends. New owners I see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Did anyone else watch this?  I'm not sure what exactly the premise is supposed to be.  I get the whole adult sleep away camp idea, but is this supposed to be like Below Deck, only in a campground, where the TV "social directors" are assigned one group while there are a bunch of other people and social directors there as well?  Kind of hard to follow.

I'm already not liking many of these social directors, especially Randall and Glen.  They are both trying too hard for the camera.  Not liking the head social person, either (can't remember her name).  

Hope it gets a little better - I need some mindless entertainment!  

• Love 1

I'm watching.... for now.  Other than TV time, what incentive do the Social Directors have to do this job? They all seem to work regular jobs during the week, and we didn't see the yacht-like Envelope'o'Cash for the fat tip money. They can't make THAT much money per hour, sheesh. Maybe it's the introvert in me but I can't imagine why someone would want to cater to guests' whims all weekend after working all week. Oh... and.... shut the hell up Randall.  (Kendall? broken foot wanna-be standup lady).

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched it, because I will give anything on Bravo a try, and was confused. So they all have pretty hectic jobs (I guess?) during the week and then they come to the camp to be paid to party? And you can drink and hook up with people? I'm exhausted for them. I used to do a Dewey Beach, DE summer share for a few years and it would take me forever to recover and I could go to bed/take naps whenever I wanted during the weekend. At least on Summer House, they don't HAVE to be up to bring people coffee. 

I like an aggressive woman, but good lord Claire-take it down a notch. It was a cake (although get her on Below Deck with the brus). I actually very much enjoyed Monica and I didn't mind Glen-he is the perfect "hype man". Randall reminded me of a cast member from Princesses of Long Island-the "oh I'm so single and let me be self-deprecating about it..." has been done to death. 

My main takeaway was that I want to go as a guest and do slip and slide kickball.

I fit three other Bravo shows into this post. 

Edited by jmcd44
I forgot about kickball
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

If my psychiatrist spent my session with her feet up petting her dog I would find a new one.

I have done zip lines over tree canopies that were less scary than that one. It was so low to the ground I would be worried about touching it at a high speed.

The brother seemed to just randomly ask about the cake so I don’t know how doing the cake with a handful of people rather than making it a larger spectacle was doing the best guest service. It also would have taken a minute to go mention to their boss and ask what they should do about the brother.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jmcd44 said:

I watched it, because I will give anything on Bravo a try, and was confused. So they all have pretty hectic jobs (I guess?) during the week and then they come to the camp to be paid to party? And you can drink and hook up with people? I'm exhausted for them. I used to do a Dewey Beach, DE summer share for a few years and it would take me forever to recover and I could go to bed/take naps whenever I wanted during the weekend. At least on Summer House, they don't HAVE to be up to bring people coffee. 

I like an aggressive woman, but good lord Claire-take it down a notch. It was a cake (although get her on Below Deck with the brus). I actually very much enjoyed Monica and I didn't mind Glen-he is the perfect "hype man". Randall reminded me of a cast member from Princesses of Long Island-the "oh I'm so single and let me be self-deprecating about it..." has been done to death. 

My main takeaway was that I want to go as a guest and do slip and slide kickball.

I fit three other Bravo shows into this post. 

YES!!!  I was trying to think of what Randall reminded me of, and I knew it had to be a past Bravo show (I don't watch any other "reality" TV)!!  I swear I've seen her before, and I guess she is so interchangeable with the girls on that show, it must have been the connection!  

Thanks!  

Oh, and if I was younger and not afraid of breaking a bone or my teeth, I would soooo be in for slip and slide kickball!!!  

18 hours ago, jmcd44 said:

Next family meetup at my brothers patch of 3.5 acres and a pool!  He even erected a smoking shed.

I thought the whole idea of adults at a camp was/is stupid.  We used to play kick-the-can when we were kids and have no hankering to do that now.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Oh, and if I was younger and not afraid of breaking a bone or my teeth, I would soooo be in for slip and slide kickball!!!  

Good point-it takes me five minutes to get out of my bed every morning-who am I to think I can throw myself onto the ground and slide to a base (although I'm the age-ish of the guest). 

I think I would like this show more if it was a glamping type resort and it be a Below Deck on land. This feels more like Jersey Shore, set in Connecticut, but still with glitter. 

• Love 1
On 5/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, NJMom said:

I cant believe they made a show of this. Way back in the day, when I was in my 20's I used to go up there for the weekend. It was a lot of fun and all the camp sports were great. Made a lot of lifetime friends. New owners I see.

I went to this place back in the early aughts for a weekend.  I don't think the owners were the same, but the program was much the same.  I don't remember it being quite as nice as it is now, but I would think there would be some renovation and upgrade after probably 15 years.

I ended up leaving pretty much after breakfast on Saturday.  I'm not a big drinker and everything involved heavy drinking.  I remember the bus coming up from NYC and those on the bus had a three hour headstart on the booze.   It was every bit as loud and obnoxious as we saw on the program.

When I left, I took the time to tour beautiful Kent, CT, and picked up some fresh-picked corn from a stand and a steak from a local grocery store and had a wonderful meal in the quiet.  I spent the rest of the weekend painting my garage door and it was the most enjoyable weekend ever - think about the fact that I'm remembering the detail 15 years later and don't regret a single shred of it.

• Love 5
On 5/5/2020 at 3:39 PM, jmcd44 said:

I watched it, because I will give anything on Bravo a try, and was confused.

Same. Finally caught the first two episodes yesterday. Didn't see a thread for episode 2 but not quite inspired enough to figure out how to do it :)

Add me to the group seriously confused by who would agree to be a Social Director. I mean, I understand the ones who signed up this year to be on the show, but the repeats? No.  Give up all my summer weekends?  No.  

David & Claire are the worst, absolutely humorless.  

This show makes me miss the event planners in Whistler. Even it had a better premise.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Add me to the group seriously confused by who would agree to be a Social Director. I mean, I understand the ones who signed up this year to be on the show, but the repeats? No.  Give up all my summer weekends?  No.  

Last night in no way made this show less confusing. Ben from the Watch What Crappens podcast said they were like the folks that worked at Club Med who encourage you to come to events at the resort. And when I was in the Dominican, my friends and I participated in the social events at the pool run by the employees who went around asking us if we wanted to join (and it was actually super fun and we did it every day). But the employees never got hammered with us at night or made out with any of us. I just don't get it. However I will keep watching.

Ok-Randall. She did nothing to persuade me from thinking she is Ashley's from Princesses long lost sister by having her parents come on the show. Niles was really stupid for the whole swimming thing-total accident waiting to happen, but appreciated him chasing the geese with no complaints (they can be mean!). I continue to enjoy Glenn and Monica. Watching them leave the city for CT on a Friday summer afternoon made me so tired-the traffic, the rush... give me a happy hour and a decent bedtime on Fridays.

Tripp. I can't even believe he is a real person. Put some damn shoes on man. Who is too cool for sunscreen? How many sunglasses did he bring? I texted my friend that this was definitely the kind of guy we would have dated in our 20s and let string us along for YEARS.

I have officially put too much time into this show this morning. I have to go rant about Jenna on Below Deck Sailing now. I need to go back to work. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2020 at 8:58 AM, snarts said:

David & Claire are the worst, absolutely humorless.  

I don't mind her, someone needs to make sure no one drowns or goes missing. But he gives off a serial killer vibe. 

• Love 1