Type keyword(s) to search

The Happy Days of Garry Marshall (ABC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'll watch it for most of the cast, except Scott Baio. I couldn't stand him then and I couldn't stand him now. I never understood why Gary Marshall was determined to create the character of Chachi for this one. The only roles I enjoyed him in was Bugsy Malone and Foxes, but I never understood the fascination with Scott Baio. All the others, I get, but he was the weakest link in that show.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/2/2020 at 10:02 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I never understood why Gary Marshall was determined to create the character of Chachi for this one.

My guess is that they wanted to give Joanie a love interest.

• Love 1

This was just what I needed tonight. Garry Marshall's shows were always fun, even those stupid holiday themed movies he did in the later years were watchable. 

I still can't believe Happy Days literally originated jumping the shark in such a way. I know Fonzie became a joke in the final years, but JFC NOBODY could look cool wearing a leather jacket while water skiing like that! It was just so STUPID.

Loved seeing everyone except Scott Baio because he sucks.

Damn, I wish Robin were around to contribute to this. We really REALLY could have used him right now. 

The outtakes of Julie Andrews swearing were gold.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This was wonderful. I enjoyed it and had no idea how many movies he directed. I loved that the overall message was "yes he directed fluffly silly fun, but what is so wrong with that?" It was the perfect special for this moment.  

• Love 9

I was tempted to watch it until I watched the YouTube promo and realized it was probably going to end up being a bunch of actors who had nothing to do with his shows telling us what they thought when watching them.

42 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I was tempted to watch it until I watched the YouTube promo and realized it was probably going to end up being a bunch of actors who had nothing to do with his shows telling us what they thought when watching them.

There might have been a few (I don't really know), but the majority of the people speaking were people he worked with.  I thought it was very good.

Made me very nostalgic.  Also, I never realized how many movies that I've seen and loved were his.

• Love 11
(edited)

I love the quote that he didn’t direct a movie-he hosted it. And the parades!! Loved them!!!

Not only did he work with so many, he STARTED the careers of so many-Robin Williams, Anne Hathaway, Chris Pine, Julia Roberts...yes, she was in things before Pretty Woman, but that made her a STAR.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Wow, Garry's son looks exactly like him!

I thought the EXACT same thing!

10 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Nope. Every single person who told stories, worked with him--be it his shows or movies. Except I don't know about Rob Lowe. Friend of the family? Worked with him? 

So glad Chachi wasn't one of them, though.

I was hoping Dick Van Dyke would be on or Tom Hanks.

But this was wonderful. I loved the home movies; and while Garry's son looks just like him, his daughters take after their mom.

I thought it was a nice touch, adding an old interview of Penny, talking about how she loved working with her brother and the chemistry with her and Cindy Williams for Laverne & Shirley.

We got the main cast of Happy Days who are still with us, so I was happy with that, though I was starting to wonder where Marion Ross was! Until she showed up. And she looks great.

Pam Dawber also looks fantastic!

I got choked up when Scott started crying, telling us about Garry's stroke, and how everyone showed up to say good-bye, and when Elizondo and Richard Gere broke down. *sniff*

MeTV needs to bring back Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, STAT!

• Love 11

According to an article I read in The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about this show, Garry Marshall gave Rob Lowe his first break by casting him in a sitcom pilot that never made it to air.  According to Lowe's twitter account when Garry died, Garry Marshall hired Lowe when he was 15, and gave Lowe's wife (a makeup artist) her start.  Per IMDB, she worked on Frankie and Johnny.  

It's evident that so many of these actors realize how lucky they were to work with a guy like Garry Marshall when they were just starting out.  

• Love 3

While the ones I like, I love, most of Garry Marshall's movies don't interest me.  But he always seemed like such a nice guy, I thought it would be nice to hear some stories about him, so I just watched this.  Holy crap, I didn't expect to be in tears at the end.  But when his son choked up, recounting how many people dropped everything to come say good-bye, I was done for.  Now that's a live well lived. 

This was really touching.  He was a nice man; a good husband and father who just happened to be one of the biggest producers and directors out there.  What a lovely tribute to him and his work.

• Love 8