Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: The Russians are Coming.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Linderhill said:

Sorry Disco, Harley is not entertaining.  He's an ass and he can leave at anytime.

This guy is a fucking scumbag and embodies everything that’s wrong and broken in this country. He only gives s shit about himself, and he’ll cheat others to steal from them. FUCKING ASSHOLE. Why do they think this is good dispicable. I want to kick him in the balls and then tie him up and throw him overboard. In fact, I’m turning this show off now as a result.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Count me among those who totally skipped the last hour.

Josh Harris.  No.  Just.  No.

I know I flipped over thinking at least I could get catch an hour of the 3 hour season premier.   Instead I got Josh Harris going to play in Hawaii.    I turned it off.    

I seriously think Disco thinks all the tweens who scream over Josh are the ones keeping the numbers are up, instead of realizing that people watchin IN SPITE of Josh.    Hopefully if they compare the numbers of the first two hours to the last hour they will see a HUGE drop off and finally Get It.  

• Love 6

On top of being up to here with Josh using his dad's demise to promote everything he does I wish he'd get those dumbo ears pinned back. Those frickin ads for his frickin Hawaii BS made me hit the record button and change channels. I'll watch it later today so I can fast forward through anything & everything having to do with him.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dizzydame said:

On top of being up to here with Josh using his dad's demise to promote everything he does I wish he'd get those dumbo ears pinned back. Those frickin ads for his frickin Hawaii BS made me hit the record button and change channels. I'll watch it later today so I can fast forward through anything & everything having to do with him.

The entire last hour is him, his ears, his stupid hats, and his ever-changing facial hair . . . along with constant references to "the old man."

• Love 2

Harley is an ass, but I'd rather watch him and the Time Bandit/Saga trying to screw each other than even a minute of the still and ever useless Josh Harris.

I do really enjoy the Northwestern.  There's a better dynamic on that boat than the others, even if Sig does spout off a bit too much at times.

• Love 4

Who else notice no Freddy on the CM and Matt Bradley on the CM?  I could watch the CM as long as Josh is not seen nor heard!  Such BS about Hawaii and tuna fishing.  Geez, they really need to let Phil rest in peace, man died 10 years ago, so there is nothing new!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, toodywoody said:

I see Jake still can't find anything on his own, so he hired Jonathan to tell him where the crab is. 

Yup. But I’m here for it.  Jonathan normally makes for good TV. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, LGGirl said:

Yup. But I’m here for it.  Jonathan normally makes for good TV. 

I don't want to brag, but I have the exact same Time Bandit hat that Johnathan was wearing on the episode . . . AUTOGRAPHED!!!

• Love 1

So Jake couldn't properly capitalize his new venture (Saga) and Disco provided Hillestrand.  Poor Jake.  He is never to be his own man, is he?

More shenanigans about crab pricing and the urgency of early off-loading.  Since when did the F/Vs decide when the canneries would process them?  How long was the pricing expected to holdup?  It could not be that long - unless of course the premium was drastically overstated and the pricing was expected to largely hold for most of the season.  We'll never get a straight answer out of Disco.

Not a lot of climate change talk.  Not a lot of discussion as to the expected overall harvest quota, either.  Hmm.  Must have been a reasonably cold season.

Was the CM in this ep?  😉

Maybe I'm slow, but I just don't understand the whole Russia-vs-U.S. and the high-price thing. It makes no sense to me. Russia can't legally fish in U.S. waters, nor can American vessels fish in Russian waters as far as I know. So what's the storyline going on here? 

Doesn't Alaska set a statewide quota of however many pounds/tons of each species can be harvested each season? Won't that number alone determine the price? Low quota = high prices, etc?

29 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Maybe I'm slow, but I just don't understand the whole Russia-vs-U.S. and the high-price thing. It makes no sense to me. Russia can't legally fish in U.S. waters, nor can American vessels fish in Russian waters as far as I know. So what's the storyline going on here? 

Doesn't Alaska set a statewide quota of however many pounds/tons of each species can be harvested each season? Won't that number alone determine the price? Low quota = high prices, etc?

Neither country owns the entire ocean . . . also known as International Waters.  You are right that Russians can't fish in US waters and vice versa . . . but they can both fish in international waters, which appears to be where the crabs are right now.

As far as harvest sizes, yes the state can set a quota . . . but if the crabs are so far out that it's hard to reach the quota, the quota is not the issue.  The crabs are expensive because they are harder to find and catch . . . and the fishing vessels have to travel farther (more fuel expense).  

It's the law of supply and demand.  If there isn't as much of a given product, but the consumers still want it, the consumers will pay more for the limited amount that they can get.

1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

Neither country owns the entire ocean . . . also known as International Waters.  You are right that Russians can't fish in US waters and vice versa . . . but they can both fish in international waters, which appears to be where the crabs are right now.

OK, now this makes sense. From previous years I'd always assumed the King crab grounds were close-in; well within the 200 mile limit. I knew Opies went further up north. I'm curious where the international waters boundaries lie, and if there are any agreements on how much can be harvested from there and returned for processing in a U.S. factory. If a boat as a quota of X, is that for crab (or whatever) caught anywhere, US or international waters, but brought to an Alaska cannery, or is that only for crab caught under Alaska's jurisdiction?

11 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

OK, now this makes sense. From previous years I'd always assumed the King crab grounds were close-in; well within the 200 mile limit. I knew Opies went further up north. I'm curious where the international waters boundaries lie, and if there are any agreements on how much can be harvested from there and returned for processing in a U.S. factory. If a boat as a quota of X, is that for crab (or whatever) caught anywhere, US or international waters, but brought to an Alaska cannery, or is that only for crab caught under Alaska's jurisdiction?

Lots of good information on king crab fishing/quotas, etc., HERE.

One of the things that the US vessels have to deal with is the size of their boats compared to the Russian boats.  Russian boats are like factories on the water.  I think they said that the Russian boats are MUCH larger, and have a crew of 50.