Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Under the Gun

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, break21 said:

JMO - for whatever reason, they are having a problem getting Nolan a love-interest.  If this show gets another year, it'll probably get 5 for syndication,  They are going to have to deal with it.  They will have to find someone Nathan clicks with and sign for a few years.

Why?  A straight employed healthy man in his late 40s could have every divorcee over 35 and under 60 chasing him. They could have "date of the week" and be realistic.

Although Nolan has been written as a guy who wants a steady woman in his life.

I did giggle a bit about having West constantly asked about Nolan's availability as a running joke.

noticed the mom was drinking a fast food soda, maybe the other parents don't drink as much water as the kids do..and even so, some people are more sensitive and react faster and more significantly than others.

Also kids are smaller than adults, so food poisoning (which is what I think was happening?) would affect them faster and harder.

Adults also drink coffee and tea which start with boiling water. And boiling kills germs.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, femmefan1946 said:

Why?  A straight employed healthy man in his late 40s could have every divorcee over 35 and under 60 chasing him. They could have "date of the week" and be realistic.

Maybe in real life but in TV life, it’s not appealing at all. He needs a permanent love interest that the audience should root for. That’s how it works in the TV land. 

9 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

Maybe in real life but in TV life, it’s not appealing at all. He needs a permanent love interest that the audience should root for. That’s how it works in the TV land. 

Maybe, maybe not. But even if there SHOULD be a "steady" love interest, TV ALSO has a journey it takes before it gets there. See Doug/Carol on ER as such an example. They were the OTP, but Carol was engaged to someone else and had a flirtation with an EMT not to mention a semi-serious relationship with another paramedic before gravitating back to Doug. And he did have a lot of women before he and Carol connected again for good.

So Nolan playing the field is not against TV tropes. If one wants to go REALLY old school, watch old repeats of M*A*S*H. Hawkeye never had a OTP and had dalliances with a LOT of nurses, yet he was extremely popular as a lone character.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, devilhalo said:

I'm an outlier, obviously. For most (not all) shows I find the need to pair people up annoying. Though I've been paired up for 30+ years, there are plenty of people who aren't and live happy, fulfilling - and interesting -  lives. I like to see them represented once in a while (same as happily child-free couples).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
(edited)

On 4/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, orza said:

Both of those actresses were recurring guest stars, which entails no obligation to be exclusive to the show

It seems to me that NF must have decided this show was not going to have his character be half of a OTP a la Castle. 
OTOH, NF will never be portrayed as a skirt-chasing cad as heroes were permitted to do through at least the 1960s. 
So they seem to have settled on Nolan being a serial monogamist rather than risk his coming off as a cad.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm an outlier, obviously. For most (not all) shows I find the need to pair people up annoying. Though I've been paired up for 30+ years, there are plenty of people who aren't and live happy, fulfilling - and interesting -  lives. I like to see them represented once in a while (same as happily child-free couples).

I too would be happy to have Nolan be a just plain, unencumbered single, but NF has been marked as a bit of a heartthrob, and I doubt he or any other of TPTB are willing to give that up.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I don't care if Nolan gets another love interest or not.  The "home life" plot lines/scenes have been really boring.  Nyla's (the Overnight) was the only one that came close to interesting.  Wait, let me take that back - I really liked Nolan's rich roommate friend.  I thought that was a great on-screen relationship, and they had better chemistry than any of the love interests.  Nolan and Grace were as exciting as watching paint dry.  Keep the show focused on the job, and the work friendships.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We have seen his character without a ship these past 2 seasons. None of them were permanent. Obviously, as a single man he is going to get into relationships. He is not a monk. 

His character is not very interesting from what has been shown, at least for me. Maybe if they bring in a permanent love interest or care to make Grace more interesting, that could make Nolan more of an interesting character to watch (for me). 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, chaifan said:

I don't care if Nolan gets another love interest or not.  The "home life" plot lines/scenes have been really boring.  Nyla's (the Overnight) was the only one that came close to interesting.  Wait, let me take that back - I really liked Nolan's rich roommate friend.  I thought that was a great on-screen relationship, and they had better chemistry than any of the love interests.  Nolan and Grace were as exciting as watching paint dry.  Keep the show focused on the job, and the work friendships.

Ben was really great. But for whatever reason he is not in the show anymore. I still think if Grace comes back for season 3, she and Nolan can be made interesting with some proper writing and development. 

• Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 11:52 PM, femmefan1946 said:

Also kids are smaller than adults, so food poisoning (which is what I think was happening?) would affect them faster and harder.

Adults also drink coffee and tea which start with boiling water. And boiling kills germs.

They were being poisoned by chemicals in the community's well water.

• Useful 1
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:36 PM, devilhalo said:

And he has had zero chemistry with the 3 he had so far. With each relationship being as boring as the other. 

It's one of those things - chemistry is hard.  If they get a 3rd Season (and it looks like it is in the bag) they have to address this.   If they want Nolan to get a love-interest, they need to find someone he has chemistry with and they can write for.  It just hasn't worked so far.  It's a problem on this show.  They also need to start making Nolan less of a boy-scout and be a person.   A lot to do this off-season.

I think it is just a matter of not the right woman so far. Fillion smoldered in his older woman/younger man soap role and many say he had great chemistry with Stana Katic on Castle. (I never saw it, but many did.)

Find the right actress or just leave Nolan single. It's not like characters cannot survive that way!

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think it is just a matter of not the right woman so far. Fillion smoldered in his older woman/younger man soap role and many say he had great chemistry with Stana Katic on Castle. (I never saw it, but many did.)

Find the right actress or just leave Nolan single. It's not like characters cannot survive that way!

Surprised that you did not see chemistry between him and Katic. Their chemistry is the main reason why the show survived for as long as it did. They won the TV Guide award for the best couple as well multiple times before the two characters were even an official couple. 

Just now, devilhalo said:

Surprised that you did not see chemistry between him and Katic. Their chemistry is the main reason why the show survived for as long as it did. They won the TV Guide award for the best couple as well multiple times before the two characters were even an official couple. 

I know all about this stuff.  🙂 But nope, I never saw any sizzle there. Oddly, on the very-similar Bones, I thought David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel sparked all over and others disagreed. It's all about personal perception, is all!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oddly, on the very-similar Bones, I thought David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel sparked all over...

There were plenty of sparks when he was the tough guy FBI, and she would upstage him by whipping a .50 caliber revolver out of her purse and blast the baddie with it....

As for Nolan, there is no reason he can't be single, as others have said. The occasional date -- maybe with catastrophically funny results?  It could be a thing.  But TPTB will probably want to force the issue because they think the fans (i.e. you and me) will demand it.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Let's hope he and any new love interest have a better working relationship than he and Katic had. They were supposedly not speaking off set for YEARS on Castle. Hated each other. I have never really seen Ali Larter have any chemistry or charisma. 

On 5/2/2020 at 7:25 AM, shapeshifter said:

I too would be happy to have Nolan be a just plain, unencumbered single, but NF has been marked as a bit of a heartthrob, and I doubt he or any other of TPTB are willing to give that up.

Which encouraged me to search YouTube for an old video called "Pool Party".

• LOL 4