Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: A Schitt's Creek Farewell

• Start Topic

After six celebrated seasons and enough awards and nominations to make Moira Rose swoon, Pop TV is celebrating its breakout hit SCHITT’S CREEK with the ultimate farewell for fans: an intimate behind-the-scenes look at the beloved series.

Original air date: 4/7/20

4 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

I really enjoyed this special. It was sort of weird how little Chris Elliott was in this though. Otherwise, it was a trip seeing the casting video and the snippets of the pilot presentation.

I find it odd that they didn't mention Abby Elliot playing Alexis in the initial pilot presentation. I would have loved to see how she played Alexis, but I really do think Annie Murphy was the best possible choice for the character. It was also interesting to see how different Twyla was at first too. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I really enjoyed this special. It was sort of weird how little Chris Elliott was in this though. Otherwise, it was a trip seeing the casting video and the snippets of the pilot presentation.

yeah, that was apparent wasn't it? I imagine Chris played down his role. It was sort of a stock Chris Elliott character. 

Also surprised "Mutt," Tim Rozon, didn't at least get one talking head. Though at least they showed him from the early seasons.

Overall this kind of made me sad to watch, unlike the final episode. 

I did find it fascinating seeing the behind the scenes stuff. Particularly seeing actors walking through the sets. It never really occurred to me that there's no actual "outdoors." I mean, when a character walks into one of the motel rooms from outside, they are using some kind of green screen to show outdoor scenery behind them. This little mini doc revealed the actual set and "outside" is just more soundstage.

Ironically, this mini doc made a big issue out of something the show itself tried not to make an issue at all. I get it, the importance of the impact this show had on the LGBTQ community, but it was just weird they spent so much time on this issue when the show tried to make it a non-issue.

So hard to say goodbye to this show as it is, watching everyone get teary eyed over it made it that much harder. The final table read just killed me.

• Love 4

I'm really glad they put this together.

I think I was so disappointed in Alexis's and Ted's story that this season didn't have an emotional resonance with me.

It was nice seeing past episodes and seeing how much has happened. This episode was a great reminder of how good this show is.

Dan Levy is a really smart writer and, for the most part, this show stayed away from typical comedic tropes. I look forward to see what he comes up with next.

• Love 5

I was happy to not see much of Chris Elliott in this.  Roland was so gross and predictable except when he spoke up in the board room after hearing those snotty businessmen making fun of Johnny.  I always felt like he wasn't a big part of the cast, maybe because he isn't Canadian.  

I just love the real life relationships between them all.  You could tell over the last few episodes that the tears weren't just in character but because the actors new it was over.  They'll never have something like this happen to them again and you can tell they cherish it so much.

• Love 4

I was happy to not see much of Chris Elliott in this. 

It's almost strange. They went into detail about casting Stevie and Alexis, and how they got Catherine O'Hara on board, and even a little about how Noah was cast as Patrick. Not one mention of how Elliott became involved. Makes me wonder if maybe they didn't really want him and there was some sort of contract thing that got him on the show.

• Love 1

Many interviews have had Eugene Levy raving about Chris Elliott and how funny he is and how much they wanted him for the show. Here’s one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/tv/news/eugene-levy-catherine-ohara-schitts-creek-interview-1234573427/amp/

So I don’t think there’s any kind of weirdness there. He might just not have been available to do the interviews like the rest of the cast. Or they just wanted to focus on the Canadian actors since it’s a CBC show. But I doubt it was anything deeper than that.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, iMonrey said:

Ironically, this mini doc made a big issue out of something the show itself tried not to make an issue at all. I get it, the importance of the impact this show had on the LGBTQ community, but it was just weird they spent so much time on this issue when the show tried to make it a non-issue.

I finally took the time to watch Season 6 after a complete rewatch of the series, and then I watched the Farewell doc, so this is pretty fresh.

I think the emphasis was because of the impact it had on the LGBTQ community.  Yes, it was not an issue on the show, but that's what made it so important and gave it the biggest impact. 

I'm a POC, and sometimes it's SO HARD to find media that features people like me, without it somehow turning into an 'issue' movie, book, TV show, or whatever. I know that there is a lot more than there used to be, but there are still a lot of 'struggle stories', which is what one of the people speaking in the doc brought up. It's so exhausting to only see portrayals of yourself/your culture as something strewn with roadblocks you need to overcome on the off chance you might be able to live a happy, fulfilled life. 

It was a little weird that Chris Elliot was hardly mentioned - I just remember one of the blooper scenes he was in.  I wonder what the viewer feedback was on his role through the seasons, because his character was so gross in the first season, and got better, but was still an annoyance. His portrayal could have been toned down a lot.

Edited by killer.noona
  • Love 9

I loved, loved, loved Night of 1,000 Moira’s! I would go to one in a heartbeat. And I teared up like crazy when they marched in Toronto Pride—I so wish I had been there for that. I also teared up for the Facebook group letter. And the backstage view of Alexis and Ted’s goodbye date. And the shooting of the final goodbye scene. Let’s just say it’s a good thing I don’t wear Moira’s eye makeup!

• Love 2