Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Doctor! Doctor! 

• Start Topic

Rainbow's friend Rebecca gets mono ("the kissing disease"), and after helping her out, she becomes interested in the medical field. Alicia fibs to Paul about getting a flu shot, and when Denise gets sick, their distrust of the medical community comes to light. Meanwhile, Johan and Santamonica go to live with Harrison while Denise is sick and start to enjoy his lavish lifestyle.

Directed by Shiri Appleby

Original air date: 3/24/20

I don't remember getting flu shots as a kid, but I definitely remember getting mono in high school. It always makes me laugh when tv shows make a big deal about it being the kissing disease and how everyone assumes you got it from making out with someone because it's just like a cold or the flu or the chicken pox. You get it when you're in school because kids are gross and they share drinks.

I got it from my boyfriend's friend. First of all, this guy didn't have a girlfriend and was not making out with anyone so I'm sure he got it from general high school griminess. He was home sick with mono so my boyfriend offered to drop his books off. This guy opened the door, we handed him his books, and we made small talk for about 30 seconds ("How do you feel?" "Tired."). That was all the contact I had with him but somehow I got it (but didn't know for another month). By the time I got diagnosed, I was falling asleep in class, something I never did normally. And by the time I was diagnosed, I had been sharing food and drinks with my sisters, my friends, and my boyfriend for over a month yet none of them got mono.

A year later, my best friend got mono. She didn't have a boyfriend at the time and she definitely wasn't making out with randos.

No one said anything mean about any of us when we had mono either. I don't know how common mono is at most schools, but in my four years of high school, we were the only three people I knew who had it.

I know the nurse was trying to scare Rainbow into going to the doctor, but there isn't really a treatment for it. My doctor told me to just get as much rest as I needed (there were days when I slept 20 out of 24 hours).

I'll have to remember to get some mustard for the next time I'm sick though.

I loved that detail of Harrison being the hero of the story for bringing McDonald's for Johan and Santi at lunch. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't remember getting flu shots as a kid, but I definitely remember getting mono in high school. It always makes me laugh when tv shows make a big deal about it being the kissing disease and how everyone assumes you got it from making out with someone because it's just like a cold or the flu or the chicken pox. You get it when you're in school because kids are gross and they share drinks.

I don't remember getting them either. I couldn't find when flu shots became mainstream, because that is definitely something that pulls me out of the show, when I feel like they pull in something before it was really a thing. 

I did like Bow's fascination with medicine and her family supporting her interest. 

• Love 2

From what I could find... flu shots became a big thing in the 70s after the first swine flu scare.  But then, as is typical, after a big frenzy and some concern about the side effects (Guillain-Barre syndrome) they waned again in popularity until the late 80s early nineties when the modern day vaccination schedule for children was implemented and we got another swine flu epidemic in the late 90s which led to it becoming popular again.

• Useful 5
55 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I did like Bow's fascination with medicine and her family supporting her interest. 

Right verses the past several years, her hospital treated her like she just reads WebMD and constantly attack her and the family attacks her like she is some idiot. Something that was good over on Black-ish was her being FINALLY recognized by the board and the hospital. Yet, the turned it around to have it like she didn't know shit on this week's episode. It gets tiring and for three shows that apparently "talk" to each other to make sure Mix-ish, Black-ish and Grown-ish all keep on track. Yet, if you see all three shows you kind of go: "you sure about that? Half the time you seem to be making it up as you go." 

• Love 3

OMG, that gigantic mobile phone Alicia had. Did people actually carry those things around?

Santi's hair was looking a little rough after staying with grandpa a few days. Wonder if anyone combed it? She should've gotten rich grandpa to take her to a beauty shop.

• Love 2

Its nice to see Bows passion for science treated so purely and positively, as she tends to get some shit for it on Black-ish, or she is written to more enjoy bragging about being a doctor than any actual love for medicine or helping people, so its nice to see that here. Also really nice to see some of the Black-ish cast on this show with this cast, even if it was just for one scene! I am also happy that Harrison got to see Bow graduate from medical school, I wasn't sure if he would, considering Bows narration has pretty much said (or did say?) that he has passed away before Black-ish time. 

Getting fast food at school was the freaking best! My dad brought me Arbys on my birthday one year, and I was a rock star! 

That giant ass cell phone Alicia was lugging around! You could do a work out with that thing, I would be worried that I might accidentally knock myself unconscious if I answered the phone too fast!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

OMG, that gigantic mobile phone Alicia had. Did people actually carry those things around?

Yeah people had them, but Alicia wouldn't have had one, it cost around 4 thousand dollars or eight of her raggedy ass cars. Maybe Harrison might have had one, but I don't think even he was important/successful enough.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Every time Denise sneezed or coughed I wanted to wipe her down with a disinfecting wipe and spray her with Lysol! I don't think I would have let her stay in my house....LOL. Seriously, I hope they deep cleaned that bathroom especially the tub and changed the sheets on the bed she slept on.

I thought it was interesting that Mixed-ish and Black-ish both had themes dealing with black folks' reluctance and distrust of doctors and the medical establishment/community/vaccines. I definitely remember older relatives refusing to go to the doctor until it was almost too late or sadly too late.

I too enjoyed seeing how Bow's journey into medicine began.

Edited by woodstock
  • Love 3

I found it really weird that both Mixed-ish and Black-ish had episodes about flu shots on the same night.  Is one of their sponsors a pharmaceutical company that makes the shot?  Also, it's odd that in this episode, Rainbow presents her mother and aunt's fears about doctors as misguided but understandable whereas on Black-ish, when Ruby (who would be the same age as both of those characters) doesn't want the flu shot, Rainbow is all, "You're insane!"

On 4/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, Snapdragon said:

I found it really weird that both Mixed-ish and Black-ish had episodes about flu shots on the same night.  Is one of their sponsors a pharmaceutical company that makes the shot?  Also, it's odd that in this episode, Rainbow presents her mother and aunt's fears about doctors as misguided but understandable whereas on Black-ish, when Ruby (who would be the same age as both of those characters) doesn't want the flu shot, Rainbow is all, "You're insane!"

Perhaps because the later timeline is much further away from the Tuskegee Study, and it's harder to believe that shots are currently given to black people for the purpose of experimenting on them? (I think that you might mean, however, that in Mixed-ish, Rainbow should have been saying that her mother and aunt's fears about doctors were misguided but understandable for that time.)