Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E18: Nalowale i ke ʻehu o he kai (Lost in the Sea Sprays)

• Start Topic

While Five-0 investigates a murder on a cargo ship where pirates impersonated the Coast Guard to board the boat, Adam finally gets the evidence he needs to take down the Island’s Yakuza operation once and for all. Also, Quinn helps Noelani when she suspects that her uncle didn’t die of natural causes. MAGNUM P.I.’s Zachary Knighton guest stars as Rick, who helps Five-0 with the case. Roy M. Balmilero, father of series star Kimee Balmilero, guest stars as Noelani’s dad. Also, musician Donavon Frankenreiter performs at La Mariana.

Original Airdate: February 28, 2020

SOURCE:https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54648

Such sad news about the show ending. But then again...

This episode rather exemplifies some of the series' issues - too many storylines, a cast too big to have them all work on a single (good/credible/suspenseful/building) arc and a writing team that seems altogether too happy to simply throw in elements off a very predictable checklist. So here we have a whinging mean spirited Danny; Adam, bloodied but victorious and righteous and then not mentioned again; a full on fight in which Tani came away without so much as a bruise; a whining Danny; yet another plot about a team member who's relative was killed, who's parents are less than supportive and during which yet another team member is found to have experienced further heartache in her background too - ie: Quinn's brother; a huge shoot-out in which at least 8 bad guys were killed; and then the "final feels". All without giving any real depth to any of them beyond the cliches. 

I have enjoyed Hawaii Five-0 but the show has also driven me crazy in so many ways. On the whole I blame writers who IMHO quickly became lazy and uninspiring for most of its run. But then again, it has been hugely successful - so what do I know? It's certainly been a winning formula for CBS.

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of Ohana stuff in these last episodes. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Roselle said:

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of Ohana stuff in these last episodes. 

And quite a few unemployed actors beyond that.

Anyone hear/know of where these people will land after H-5O ends?? Just curious.

33 minutes ago, Roselle said:

This episode rather exemplifies some of the series' issues - too many storylines, a cast too big to have them all work on a single (good/credible/suspenseful/building) arc and a writing team that seems altogether too happy to simply throw in elements off a very predictable checklist.

Nailed it.

• Love 2

I was ready to drop out of the episode when it opened with Adam's ridiculous plot but then Noelani came along and I decided to stick around. I enjoyed watching Quinn and Noelani working together. This show has really managed to write good plots and dialogues for its female cast members this season. I also enjoyed Tani's banter with Rick. Meaghan Rath is great at comedy. (And just like McGarrett Tani has developed Wolverine healing properties.)

I don't mind the fluffiness of the show, it was never a deep cutting emotional drama (and when it tried to be it failed miserably - s. Adam's plot). It was always ridiculously over the top, with lots of explosions and shoot outs trying to black out the plot holes. Pop corn entertainment - there's nothing wrong with that. It was either fun to watch or provided fodder for snark-watching. It had a good run and as I mentioned in the other thread I would watch a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

It had a good run and as I mentioned in the other thread I would watch a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani.

Or perhaps Quinn will become Rick's love interest on Magnum.

Also, I don't understand why if Alex O wanted out, they wouldn't either kill him off or retire him and have someone else (not Danny) in the role as Five-O boss.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, preeya said:

Or perhaps Quinn will become Rick's love interest on Magnum.

Also, I don't understand why if Alex O wanted out, they wouldn't either kill him off or retire him and have someone else (not Danny) in the role as Five-O boss.

Regarding the bolded: The press release announcing the series finale, which has been linked to individually & quoted in other articles announcing the series is ending this season (if not in the Media thread, they somehow ended up in ep threads), said they gave thought about continuing the show with Danny getting a new partner, then decided it probably wouldn’t work.

OK I just looked again & you said why couldn’t they just have Steve retire or whatever, & have someone other than Danny take over Five-0? If they decided not to continue the show with Danny & a new partner (despite all the Scott Caan/Danny Williams detractors out there, that was always gonna be CBS’ first choice), perhaps because Scott was burnt out, wouldn’t accept their offer(s) & was ready to move on (he does have a family, including a 5-year-old daughter, in LA) or perhaps because they couldn’t guarantee the same chemistry would be there between Scott/Danny & a new partner as exists/existed between Alex & Scott & Steve & Danny both, they likely weren’t gonna do the show with somebody besides Danny running Five-0 either. The existing audience would probably like/accept the show with Danny but no Steve much better than with no Steve & Danny.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

It was either fun to watch or provided fodder for snark-watching. It had a good run 

Yes to this - I just always rather wanted it to be a bit more, y'know,  especially when we saw the core actors were so capable of it.

17 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

The existing audience would probably like/accept the show with Danny but no Steve much better than with no Steve & Danny.

Judging from the many Danny/Scott Caan detractors out there, I really don't think it would fly at all. I am not amongst them - Danny was really the main reason for me to watch and to see how the writers spoilt the character through the series, underusing Scott Caan, has had me raging. Of course, yes, SC opted to cut his days on the show (paid accordingly) so some might say his lack of storylines was self imposed but it felt vindictive to me on the part of the writers.  I really think he came to care very little for his character & possibly the show beyond the money and the friends he made & the responsibility for keeping people in work.  I don't think he would have stayed even if CBS wanted him to.  I imagine he is very happy to go. 

Sad that the series is ending, but at least that means we'll get no Adam.  What a ridiculous storyline.  So he was good all along?  What about a few weeks ago when he was burying bodies in the jungle?  I forget, did he presumably kill those people?  For at least a few weeks, it certainly looked like he had gone off the rocker and flipped sides.  But wait, he was really undercover and still true at heart to 5-0?  Huh?  So the ending of the whole Kenji thing happened in like 5 minutes, a not-so-dramatic Mano a Mano in the jungle, and it just ends with Kenji going to jail?  So anticlimactic.

I didn't really understand the whole coast guard thing, but I'll admit I wasn't watching too carefully.

I'm sad that we won't get to see more Junior, Tani, and Quinn.  Really enjoyed these secondary characters.  Hoping indeed that Katrina Law ends up on Magnum.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

It had a good run and as I mentioned in the other thread I would watch a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani.

I would absolutely watch a Five-0 made up of this group.  

I wonder if the show will have an “ending” for everyone, or just let us assume that they are still living their badass lives without us?  Personally, I hate the finales where everyone has some life-changing moment that forces them apart. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I would absolutely watch a Five-0 made up of this group.  

I wonder if the show will have an “ending” for everyone, or just let us assume that they are still living their badass lives without us?  Personally, I hate the finales where everyone has some life-changing moment that forces them apart. 

Steve retires to some unknown place.

Danny moves back to New Jersey and gets shot and killed while getting another absurd haircut.

Junior & Tanni get married and open a dance school.

Quinn hooks up with Magnum's PI team to be near Rick.

Grover retires to the golf course and becomes an instructor.

Adam gets kidnapped once again and is shipped off to Japan for training, then is sent back to open a Benihana restaurant.

The rest is all history!

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Well, remember, they only just announced the end of the series---presumably the rest of the episodes for the season have already been filmed. So, unless the cast/producers/writers/etc knew awhile ago that the series was ending (and just didn't tell us), there is no way the finale will have an "ending" for everyone. The fact that we have the "formerly dead" guest stars in the finale (and talk of Danny having a new partner "next season") makes me think that they knew that AOL was leaving and Steve will have some sort of ending (some sort of medical crisis is my guess---either with that "radiation sickness" (from a few seasons back) or a problem with his liver (do you believe Steve regularly takes his anti-rejection meds?)).

33 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Well, remember, they only just announced the end of the series---presumably the rest of the episodes for the season have already been filmed. So, unless the cast/producers/writers/etc knew awhile ago that the series was ending (and just didn't tell us), there is no way the finale will have an "ending" for everyone. The fact that we have the "formerly dead" guest stars in the finale (and talk of Danny having a new partner "next season") makes me think that they knew that AOL was leaving and Steve will have some sort of ending (some sort of medical crisis is my guess---either with that "radiation sickness" (from a few seasons back) or a problem with his liver (do you believe Steve regularly takes his anti-rejection meds?)).

As of yesterday, they were still filming the finale as far as I know.

Like the Law & Order finale party a retirement party for Duke going out good. For everyone else crime isn't the Korean War. Hawaii's astronomical murder rate demands a 5-0 response 

30 minutes ago, Raja said:

Like the Law & Order finale party a retirement party for Duke going out good. For everyone else crime isn't the Korean War. Hawaii's astronomical murder rate demands a 5-0 response 

The Law & Order finale, “Rubber Room”, wasn’t a retirement party for Lieutenant Van Buren (although I think the actress was leaving the show whether it was renewed for another season or not). She was having financial problems because she was being treated for Ovarian Cancer & Detective Lupo, a detective working under her, decided to throw her a surprise fundraiser to help with her medical & other bills related to the Cancer treatment. She saw an Email about it on another detective’s computer & told Lupo that if he respected her, & respected her privacy, he’d cancel the fundraiser. After she went back into her office, he said screw it, he wasn’t canceling it. And he didn’t. While she was at the party, she apparently got good news from her doctor that the treatment was finally working (we didn’t see/hear the doctor’s end of the conversation; this is just based on how Lieutenant Van Buren looked & acted during, & after, the phone call—as if she’d gotten good news about something).

Enjoyable episode overall. I liked the pairing of Noelani and Quinn although I did question why the whole team is working on various investigations except Quinn, who is apparently on call for any B-plot cases that come in.

I am disappointed that Adam didn't read Steve in on his plans. It's not like Steve hasn't done crazier stuff, I wouldn't automatically assume he'd pooh-pooh it because it's dangerous. Kono did lots of dangerous undercover missions right from the start including a long-term mission to bring down dirty cops in between seasons 1 and 2 IIRC.

I have heard that carfentanil is eleventy-million times more dangerous than fenatanyl so I wasn't sure what to make of the scene where the team is in a room full of it swirling around in powdered form. It was also weird that one of the bad guys died with a big swath of the stuff on his upper lip. Don't get high on your own supply dude! And at work in front of your coworkers too! Unethical!

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be funny if Steve, Danny and Junior all had some administrative BS to deal with after routine drug testing shows this stuff in their systems?

• Love 1

The kitchen fight was good, but it was extremely similar to a kitchen fight in the movie The Hitman's Bodyguard.  If you like Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson in action movies, then this is the movie for you.  It is like Deadpool only Ryan Reynolds is a normal human bodyguard instead of an enhanced hitman.  Samuel L. Jackson plays the hitman with a massive romantic streak.  Their on-screen chemistry is off the charts.

All I could think of with all the powdered carfentanil floating around in that one scene was 1) why are they not all dead and 2) oh, the NC-17 fanfics this is going to produce if the "sex powder" plot bunnies get released.

Loved Noelani's dogged pursuit of the truth.  Also loved that Quinn just went with it, equally motivated to find the truth.

Well, with the show ending its run, all that is left is to see how they write the sendoffs for all the characters. I'll put my list below, BUT, more importantly, if anyone has Lenkov's ear, mention that it would be interesting if they have an auction of some of the iconic props used during the 10 seasons, as they did on Lost, another Lenkov show. For instance, who wouldn't want to place a bid on Steve's model ship in his office, or Joe White's hairbrush? The proceeds could go to a Hawaiian charity(ies) and it would be a final way for fans to pay homage. There is the toolbox, some of Lou's shirts, Tani's scooter, Adam's blindfolds and watch that he left at the Bar, etc. I would think some of the crew may have already put in a request for items, but, when Lost ended there were many pages of items.

Okay, here goes, it would be fun to see more lists:

Steve: Steve will have to retire due to health problems, and he will discover that Joe White left his Montana ranch to him. He packs up Eddie and heads out.

Danny: Danny will decide to retire and gets the restaurant bug again, so he heads to Jersey to open up a pizza parlor.

Lou: Lou and his wife move stateside to be closer to the kids. He's already sold his house.

Junior: Re-enlists

Tani: Goes back to HPD academy to become a detective

Quinn: RE-enlists

Eddie: See Steve

Kamekona; Starts shrimp truck franchises and opens a couple in Vegas

Noelani: Moves to Magnum P.I. since she is on there every other week, keeps her day job.

Duke: Transfers to be a crossing guard at his granddaughter's school.

Jerry: Makes a special guest appearance and announces he has won the lottery with numbers 4,8,15,16, 23 and 42. Announces he is taking an Uber to catch the last flight out of Hawaii for the night on Oceanic Airlines Flight 815. Mentions that Chin is going to join him on the connecting flight from Maui's Kahului airport.

Catherine: Makes a special guest appearance and turns down Steve's proposal.

Lots of recurring characters will never be heard from, but all in all, it was an enjoyable 10-year run. Thanks to them all for including us in the ohana and bringing Hawaii to our homes once a week.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, dwmarch said:

heard that carfentanil is eleventy-million times more dangerous than fenatanyl so I wasn't sure what to make of the scene where the team is in a room full of it swirling around in powdered form. It was also weird that one of the bad guys died with a big swath of the stuff on his upper lip. Don't get high on your own supply dude! And at work in front of your coworkers too! Unethical!

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be funny if Steve, Danny and Junior all had some administrative BS to deal with after routine drug testing shows this stuff in their systems?

Immunity and means given by Wo Fat's governor and never revoked. McGarrett is the authority so no random drug test mere mortal service members must do.

So you are going to check out a pirate liar with heavy weapons and body armor yet don't inform HPD so the nearest help is ten minutes out. That is some piss poor tactical planning from two Navy SEALs and a 20 year detective.

Rick and Quinn I think maybe one more Magnum PI appearance. I can't see the actress sticking around for a reoccurring role. It would take a dissolved 5-0 in the snap finale and Sergeant Liu becoming Detective Katsumoto's partner as a regular for that.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, GustheCat said:

Jerry: Makes a special guest appearance and announces he has won the lottery with numbers 4,8,15,16, 23 and 42. Announces he is taking an Uber to catch the last flight out of Hawaii for the night on Oceanic Airlines Flight 815. Mentions that Chin is going to join him on the connecting flight from Maui's Kahului airport.

This?  Would be awesome!

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, GustheCat said:

Well, with the show ending its run, all that is left is to see how they write the sendoffs for all the characters. I'll put my list below, BUT, more importantly, if anyone has Lenkov's ear, mention that it would be interesting if they have an auction of some of the iconic props used during the 10 seasons, as they did on Lost, another Lenkov show. For instance, who wouldn't want to place a bid on Steve's model ship in his office, or Joe White's hairbrush? The proceeds could go to a Hawaiian charity(ies) and it would be a final way for fans to pay homage. There is the toolbox, some of Lou's shirts, Tani's scooter, Adam's blindfolds and watch that he left at the Bar, etc. I would think some of the crew may have already put in a request for items, but, when Lost ended there were many pages of items.

Okay, here goes, it would be fun to see more lists:

Steve: Steve will have to retire due to health problems, and he will discover that Joe White left his Montana ranch to him. He packs up Eddie and heads out.

Danny: Danny will decide to retire and gets the restaurant bug again, so he heads to Jersey to open up a pizza parlor.

Lou: Lou and his wife move stateside to be closer to the kids. He's already sold his house.

Junior: Re-enlists

Tani: Goes back to HPD academy to become a detective

Quinn: RE-enlists

Eddie: See Steve

Kamekona; Starts shrimp truck franchises and opens a couple in Vegas

Noelani: Moves to Magnum P.I. since she is on there every other week, keeps her day job.

Duke: Transfers to be a crossing guard at his granddaughter's school.

Catherine: Makes a special guest appearance and turns down Steve's proposal.

Lots of recurring characters will never be heard from, but all in all, it was an enjoyable 10-year run. Thanks to them all for including us in the ohana and bringing Hawaii to our homes once a week.

Regarding the bolded:
Peter Lenkov was never involved with Lost (I checked his Wikipedia page). Daniel Dae Kim, Jorge Garcia, & Terry O’Quinn (perhaps others from H50 that I can’t remember), however, were all stars of the show during most/all of its run.

Considering Junior just came back from a mission or training, or something, when he & Tani made love in the back seat of whosever car that was, overlook ing that beach area, I think he’s probably still in the reserves or has some other status that still allows him to be called up when necessary, so he shouldn’t have to re-enlist.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:23 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded:
Peter Lenkov was never involved with Lost (I checked his Wikipedia page). Daniel Dae Kim, Jorge Garcia, & Terry O’Quinn (perhaps others from H50 that I can’t remember), however, were all stars of the show during most/all of its run.

I stand corrected, thanks to Mr. Manilowe. I was getting the J.J. Abrams and Lenkov connection confused, but, the thought still stands. It was fun to see all the props that Lost had saved and subsequently put up for auction. I know what I would bid on, but keeping it on the DL in case it happens.

Henry Ian Cusick, currently on MacGuyver, was on Lost as Desmond. He appeared as a bank robber in one Hawaii 5-0 episode. The 3 cited above are the best known, I believe in total 12 people have been on both shows. As far as I know, Jimmy Buffet was never on Lost. Not sure why?

So, get your Longboards on ice and your aloha shirts on hand. No doubt it will be sad to see the last episode, but look forward to the comments to be posted.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:30 AM, Raja said:

Immunity and means given by Wo Fat's governor and never revoked. McGarrett is the authority so no random drug test mere mortal service members must do.

So you are going to check out a pirate liar with heavy weapons and body armor yet don't inform HPD so the nearest help is ten minutes out. That is some piss poor tactical planning from two Navy SEALs and a 20 year detective.

Rick and Quinn I think maybe one more Magnum PI appearance. I can't see the actress sticking around for a reoccurring role. It would take a dissolved 5-0 in the snap finale and Sergeant Liu becoming Detective Katsumoto's partner as a regular for that.

That is a brilliant idea for the partnership with Katsumoto!!! Well done.