Type keyword(s) to search

Andy and Barney's Girlfriends

I always thought she was a nurse for some reason but I guess that would be overkill with Miss Peggy.  Why Andy chose dried up Helen Crump over her is always the biggest mystery to me.

I never understood why Andy ended up with Helen either.  I never saw any spark between them at all.  It wasn't the fault of the actress.  The character was written as being so stodgy.  And my view may have been influenced by the fact that she was around so much in the post-Barney years when Andy seemed far less happy.

Peggy would probably have been my choice.  They seemed to have fun together.   I still remember a scene in one of Peggy's episodes where she was setting Andy's table while happily humming away.  I can't picture Helen humming.  

• Love 1

I always liked the concept of Juanita. She's somewhere in Mayberry, but we never see her. Doesn't she work at the diner?

Anyhow, the Mount Pilot girls, Skippy and Daphne were hilarious. I loved Daphne's "Hello, Doll" and how utterly uncomfortable Andy looked. I remember someone telling me that Laverne and Shirley were based on them when they first appeared on "Happy Days"----don't know how true that is..

• Love 1

Regarding Juanita. Since Mayberry is such a small town and we all know it has more than its share of gossipin' busybodies, how is that that Barney can carry on with Juanita (on the phone whispering sweet nothings in her ear, taking her to the drive-in movies, etc.) and be a boyfriend to Thelma Lou at the same time? Isn't that the classic definition of a two-timer? Wouldn't someone have clued in Thelma Lou?

In the earlier seasons, I don't think Barney and Thelma Lou were exclusive. Until Helen came along I think most of Andy and Barney's lady friends were a casual thing and they had different women they could call up if someone else was busy.

• Love 1

I saw an ep a month or so ago where Andy says to Barney "What about Juanita down at the diner?" and Barney brushes off, I think it is the one where he feels he has Thelma Lou in his hip pocket.  So he was doing double duty.

I saw an ep a month or so ago where Andy says to Barney "What about Juanita down at the diner?" and Barney brushes off, I think it is the one where he feels he has Thelma Lou in his hip pocket.  So he was doing double duty.

Yes, Barney was seeing Juanita on the side while he was dating ole Thel.  Barney was a player, lol.

• Love 2

Andy and Helen had an affair in real life, which is why she stuck around for the duration. Elinor Donahue and Joanna Moore left due to Andy’s proclivities. He was married at the time, also. He and Barney both had affairs with other women on the show. The book “Andy and Don” goes into some of it, and it’s pretty shocking at times. 

Juanita worked at the Bluebird Diner. There’s a real life place called The Snappy Lunch, which gets referred to now and then. I was visiting a cousin and we stopped in Siler City, I have a photo of myself by the sign. Siler City is not that far from Chapel Hill, where Andy attended college. Mt. Pilot is actually Mt. Airy, NC.

The statue of Andy and Opie stands in a small park that I found by accident in Raleigh. Someone had stolen their fishing poles. :)

2E1E5BAD-C14A-493F-866B-FD8A764BE778.jpeg

@cooksdelight, isn't that statue in Pullen Park?  I visited the park a fair amount when I live in Raleigh, but the statue was put in long after I left.

I thought Mt. Airy (Andy Griffith's hometown) was Mayberry, and Mt. Pilot was actually a reference to Pilot Mountain.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 8:54 AM, cooksdelight said:

The statue of Andy and Opie stands in a small park that I found by accident in Raleigh. Someone had stolen their fishing poles. :)

This looks almost identical to the statue that is in Mt.Airy

DSCN5477.JPG

There are two statues: one in Raleigh, and one in Mount Airy. TV Land had the statue in Raleigh put up first, but so many people from Mount Airy said the statue should be there that TV Land gave them their own statue a year later. So now, there are two. :) 

Thelma Lou's job?  Keeping Barney out of trouble! LOL  I always thought she might have been Wanita's sister from the Diner, I don't know why. LOL

On 3/25/2016 at 7:37 PM, Maverick said:

Yes, she mentioned on a couple of occasions working an office...but no details of what she did.

Maybe Thelma Lou was secretly Sarah, the telephone operator...??  lol