Type keyword(s) to search

Pod People: The Singles

aradia22
  • Start Topic

So Netflix is really starting to push the dating shows. The algorithm must be telling them it's popular same as with the Hallmark-style rom coms and every other genre they've done.

This feels like Married at First Sight + speed dating + The Voice. It feels slightly less insane than MAFS in the sense that people are actually going to get to know each other and they're not being paired up by "experts" (*cough* the producers). I thought they'd keep them in the pods to save money but it seems like there will be multiple locations. I'll give the show a try. Like most of these reality shows, it'll succeed if there are some good contestants.

• Love 1

I like the occupation graphics they use for these people. “Scientist” “Tank Mechanic”

I gotta come up with a snazzy way do describe my FP&A job...

JTMacc 99 - Creative Accountant

JTMacc 99 - Financial Oracle

JTMacc 99 - Speadsheeto Patronum

• LOL 7
18 hours ago, PityFree said:

The contestants seem to be from all over the country so I’m not sure how they’re going to deal with moving once they get engaged to each other.

The producers said that all of them are based in Atlanta. They did that intentionally to make the transition a bit easier. So they may all originally be from other place but they were all based in Atlanta before filming. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I understand the way this show was edited. We only got to see the interactions between people who would eventually go on to meeting or at least be involved in a proposal.  

But I think the pod interactions were really interesting, and I would have been happy to watch at least one more episode of that stuff to mix in some of the less than successful conversations. I’m a little curious to see what was up with some of the losers, including Rory the therapist. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

RE: the Bustle article

Spoiler

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT RORY WAS NOT A PLANT!!! I don't know what "consultant and content creator" is supposed to mean but maybe they should just hire him for season 2 to make the guys open up about their feelings. I could have sworn he was a producer. But apparently he's a Twitch streamer. Why do so many of these people have fake jobs?

(jk, I know that's a real job in 2020 but it still feels like they found a lot of people who fall under the category of model/actor/content creator/fitness instructor and make their living being good looking and personable.)

RE: Instagram

Amber going blonde is... a choice. Giannina is very pretty but I don't know if she can fully launch herself to Instagram model. I didn't spot any major spon-con on her page yet. Cameron has 34 posts on his Instagram page. Unless he scrubbed it or had an old page, it makes him seem the most normal.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2020 at 2:57 AM, LucentPenguin said:

Could this chick ever be honest ONE TIME?!  I’m not done with the series, I’m on the 8th episode.  But JESUS!  Everything she says is a lie or a contradiction!  Ffs I’m so sick of her. 

I'm assuming you mean Jessica? LOL. Although Giannina is also confusing at times--but I don't think she outright lies. 

6 hours ago, dingochick said:

Does anyone else think that Cameron sometimes looks like James McAvoy? At least in profile if not full on? 

That's it! I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of. Similar coloring and face shape. Yep, it fits. 

Been watching Love Is Blind Season and holyyyyy....I feel bad for Natalie but can't help wonder if there is an issue of low self-esteem going on? Shayne to me has been a walking red flag since he messed up Shaina and Natalie's voices. I wonder if there's some bigger underlying issue at play with Shayne. I watched this interesting video from a therapist's point of view but I want to know what you all have been thinking. Is it immaturity or something more sinister?

• Love 1

I've only seen the first two episodes, and so far he just seems like a totally self-absorbed douche-nozzle who thinks WAY too highly of himself (and can't complete a sentence without overuse of the word 'like'). I feel bad for Natalie - she seems pretty normal, yet for some reason has decided to hitch her wagon to his star.

• Love 1

"Sinister" might be a little strong, but I would say there are lots of red flags.

Out of respect for the possibility that people have not yet watched all episodes available, I will put some of the things that would make me want to wave off any friends from dating Shayne:

His aforementioned defensiveness when Natalie was hurt that he told her that he'd hoped she was Shaina-- he was completely self-centered and couldn't see how that might be hurtful to Natalie;

The argument they had in Mexico leading to him walking off;

The vanity/spendthrifty ways he has: he said he has spent $30k on his teeth, spends $2k a month on food for example, and considers saving for retirement a non-issue;

His cringey laugh would get annoying

That at least part of him seems to be still attracted to Shaina

His insecurities about striking out at Wrigley Field at the bachelor party.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:
Spoiler

His insecurities about striking out at Wrigley Field at the bachelor party

This, it was like a personal affront! My 8 year old is a better sportsman

• Love 3

Malory is good hearted but insecure and her fiancé is good for her but she doesn’t trust enough I hope that she learns not to sabotage, has she been in therapy? Shaina is the most ungodly person of the group. She passed up a good man and is trying to destroy a marriage for her own selfish purposes and she calls her self a godly person? 
she’s the most ungodly person of the group. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, panicbutton345 said:

Been watching Love Is Blind Season and holyyyyy....I feel bad for Natalie but can't help wonder if there is an issue of low self-esteem going on? Shayne to me has been a walking red flag since he messed up Shaina and Natalie's voices. I wonder if there's some bigger underlying issue at play with Shayne. I watched this interesting video from a therapist's point of view but I want to know what you all have been thinking. Is it immaturity or something more sinister?

Something more sinister.  Mallory has confidence issues maybe self esteem issues yet manages to remain emotionally regulated and respectful.  Shayne presents with emotional disregulation, a constant need for compliments/approval (supply), inability to handle failure lapsing into a state of complete collapse, and handles threats to his ego by going on the attack (devaluation).  This is how I get my impression of narcissism.  The way Natalie was stumbling over her words when Shayne was interrupting her feelings about their fight before the wedding is a total narcissistic play.  He can't bear to think he's anything less than wonderful and tries to make Natalie take the blame.  Classic projection.  And he will make Natalie suffer to protect his ego that's pretty sinister in my book.  Not that I think he's doing this intentionally but he is someone to steer clear of willing to cause other people pain out of a desire to protect the self.

• Love 3

I hate harping on the differences between Shayne and Natalie because I wanted them to work out but they're very different in how they communicate.

With Shayne, something is just missing.  There's no thought between his feelings and his reaction.

Meanwhile, with Natalie, she is very very careful before saying and reacting to anything.

It would be great if Shayne decided to do some real work on that connection - the connection between his feelings and his reaction so that his reactions don't turn abusive.  

• Love 5

I am enjoying the fact that nobody can stand Shake.  Also Insta spying on them, nobody follows him.  Meanwhile, a fair number of S1 people are interacting and following with the S2 people.  It looks like Lauren  & Cam, Kenny, Kelly, Diamond, and Jessica from what I can tell are all Insta-friends with the new group.  I mean, when they all follow and interact with Jessica over Shake, you know he is frozen out.  LOL.

Of the S2 crew, Deepti, Natalie and Iyanna seem really close (based in Insta stalking).  Deepti is also close with Danielle.  And of course Kyle makes the most flirty and double entendre posts in Deepti's comments.  Mallory and Sal also are part of the group though they don't post as much. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3