Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

From TVGuide:

Hoping to unmask the mysterious "Uncle Jerry," the FBI investigates two prominent figures they believe are connected to the scam. The first, Jerome "Jerry" Jacobson, is a former cop who left the force on disability and started working security for Simon Marketing, the company hired to run the McDonald's Monopoly game. The second, Gennaro "Jerry" Colombo, hails from a notorious East Coast mob family and is no stranger to unsavory activities.

I cannot believe the people involved agreed to be interviewed for this.  The mobster's wife and her relatives, Uncle Jerry's ex-wife and step brother.  The ex-wife really has reason to hate him.

Love Agent Doug!  He'd probably be exhausting in real life, but you do need an idea person to get things done.

• Love 9

I’m finding this all fascinating. I can’t wait to hear how he actually managed to steal these game pieces because the security they explained in this ep was unbelievable. I had no idea. The cast of characters in this one were right out of central casting, Mob Jerry’s wife with the red hair in the red room with red drapes, red lamp and an ill fitting red dress was right out of a Tarantino film. Brilliant! 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, sadie said:

Mob Jerry’s wife with the red hair in the red room with red drapes, red lamp and an ill fitting red dress was right out of a Tarantino film.

Wasn't that something?  Just what you'd want to wear when you're going to be filmed.  Unless maybe she intentionally disguised herself?  So the mob doesn't go after her? 

Other Jerry's wife sounded exactly like Holly Hunter to me. 

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

OMG I was thinking that the whole time I was watching her, I’m glad it wasn’t just me!

• Love 4

My God, that old gal was a riot.....what an old whore dog.....Hell, she's probably only 40 not 70.  I am so enjoying this show. But I think the mob gal is lying. Where were the professional makeup people for her. Poor thing. Anyway, this is a very juicy story for this little vegetarian. Love it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think she was prone to embellish, but when the agents confirmed the mafia was involved, I didn't have much doubt about it stealing millions. 

It's a scam tailor made. Money for the taking, only a few people involved in the operation and it never crossed anyone's mind. 

• Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, meep.meep said:

Love Agent Doug!  He'd probably be exhausting in real life, but you do need an idea person to get things done.

I really like the moments when he and Amy are working together. They make a pretty good team. Amy's got this really sweet, friendly demeanor about her that nicely balances out Doug's hyperactive, pushy side, and which makes it so much easier for people to spill their guts besides. The whole thing with that videotaped interview, and Doug describing the guy practically sweating bullets, was hilarious. Amy was so good at talking to him. That Vegas reunion ruse idea is honestly brilliant. Perfect way to play off people's desire to get attention and be on TV and rake a free trip somewhere.

(I too do find it funny that people are so eager to talk about winning all this money. If I'd been lucky enough to win a huge bundle of cash-honestly, I mean-no way would I want that made public. Too much potential for scammers and robbers and whatnot.)

I also loved the story Marvin told about flushing that ticket down the toilet, and his complete non-reaction to seeing a million dollars literally go down the drain. 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:15 PM, sadie said:

Mob Jerry’s wife with the red hair in the red room with red drapes, red lamp and an ill fitting red dress was right out of a Tarantino film. Brilliant! 

Her response when they asked what happened to Uncle Dominic: "We don't really talk about that...". Alright, then!

It truly amazes me how the freaking mob, of all people, got caught up in a silly game for a fast food chain. I loved how they compared this scheme to what people like Capone were doing. I feel that says something about how far the mob's influence and power has dropped over the years, if this is the sort of thing they've resorted to committing crimes for now. 

And then to think that St. Jude got this generous gift, not realizing it was from a mobster. I just... 

I was also impressed with the intense security involved in making and transporting the game pieces, and putting them into the food wrappers and containers and whatnot. They were far more secure than some things and places you would expect to have airtight security, it seems. 

Yeah. This is getting real interesting. Can't wait to see where this crazy story goes next. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4

Comparing it to Capone was what I meant by embellishment. I actually think it's a good move on the mafia's part to adapt to their postmodern organization. It's basically free money. You don't need to reel in marks like for gambling or drugs. Far less mess. 

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I cannot figure out how Jerry got the game pieces unless there's someone else on the inside. 

Wondering the same thing.  Based on their process described I have no idea how he would do it.  he would almost have to steal all the cups or the items that the major prizes were attached to before they left the factory after being attached, only way I can see it happening.  Or maybe even after they left, he knows where those items are headed for distribution and intercepts them after leaving the factory and before they reach the customers. 

I also have a very hard time believing his ex wife, in charge of security for the printing place that made the pieces, had NOTHING to do with it as she claimed. 

• Love 5

Whatever it is, it can't be overly complicated because someone would have fucked it up. This went on way too long otherwise. 

At this point, I don't really have any qualms about a big corporation being ripped off. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

All this makes me wonder about current state lottery scratch-off tickets, like in my state - Florida. Are the winning tickets sent to a special location, then specially distributed from there? It would explain why some areas seem to have more winners than others. 

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, kay1864 said:

I liked how Marvin, Jerry’s step brother, had no qualms about participating in stealing $25,000, but had an attack of conscience when Jerry approached him about higher-level game pieces 😆

I'm wondering if the "flushed the $1M game piece" story is true, or if he just turned down Jerry, then Jerry sent that piece to St. Jude's.  Marvin's story (that neither one of them reacted to the piece disappearing down the pipes) seems fishy.

Marvin looks off to the side a lot.

• Love 3
On 2/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

All this makes me wonder about current state lottery scratch-off tickets, like in my state - Florida. Are the winning tickets sent to a special location, then specially distributed from there? It would explain why some areas seem to have more winners than others. 

You'll notice that the same printing firm prints scratch off lottery tickets. 

• Love 3
On 2/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

I know that there was a scam with the state lottery in Iowa. I don’t know how it was pulled off, though.

• Love 2

Please keep the discussion limited in these episode threads to the current episode and any previous episodes. 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:52 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

In the flashback photos, I thought she looked like her too. 

So far so good. They probably could’ve tightened up the editing a little (maybe 4 parts?) but I’m enjoying it. 

• Love 3