Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The End Is the Beginning

• Start Topic

One more thing on "JL"...Picard was very close to Data, Riker and Troi but you could count on one hand the number of times they called him "Jean-Luc."  No one who served under him would call him JL while they were in Starfleet.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, benteen said:

One more thing on "JL"...Picard was very close to Data, Riker and Troi but you could count on one hand the number of times they called him "Jean-Luc."  No one who served under him would call him JL while they were in Starfleet.  

I think Beverly would call him Jean-Luc when it was just the two of them fairly regularly.

And how a younger (on a relative scale) Jean-Luc behaved with the crew of his starship is going to be different than how he acts with a close associate after All Good Things and the subsequent years have passed. People change.

• Love 4

Zhat Vash "Red Shirt" = Kill Squad Member.

These dudes suck at their job. They have sacrificed  2 3 teams to kill one super-droid & her hapless boyfriend while failing to eliminate an old man & 2 retired Tal Shiar operatives.

No wonder their clean up crews are so skilled, every mission goes wrong.....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 7
49 minutes ago, DavidJSnyder said:

I think Beverly would call him Jean-Luc when it was just the two of them fairly regularly.

And how a younger (on a relative scale) Jean-Luc behaved with the crew of his starship is going to be different than how he acts with a close associate after All Good Things and the subsequent years have passed. People change.

Beverly knew him for many years though prior to her stint on the Enterprise.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, benteen said:

She was still serving under him at the time. And I think it's incorrect that Picard couldn't develop that level of familiarity with someone new in the right situtation.

He also dated a crewmember in Lessons (even if she wasn't directly under him like I think Rafi was) and I assume she wasn't calling him Captain Picard when they were in private.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's possible he might have learned something from AGT. Him joining them for poker was a sign that he was open to changing his ways.

• Love 4

I'm okay with the JL - they clearly wanted to show a different dynamic with Raffi. It's also a -to some quite jarring- reminder that this Picard (or the Picard from 14 years ago) is no longer TNG's Picard. But I wish they had given us some flashbacks to him and Raffi working together before the Romulan refugee crisis showing us how they came to that more relaxed dynamic. (I know that some of it is in the comics but not all of us read those and it's too vital an aspect of the show to be delegated to other venues.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, benteen said:

According to Memory Alpha, Picard was secretly preparing to make her a notch on his belt, but obeyed the bro code when Jack Crusher called dibs [before any Picard maneuver was initiated].,.

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1

But I wish they had given us some flashbacks to him and Raffi working together before the Romulan refugee crisis showing us how they came to that more relaxed dynamic.

There is that not-very-good comic book limited series which is supposedly cannon...

The fight scene with Laris and Zhaban at the chateau was exciting -  but it leads to questions the show doesn't want to deal with: what is Picard going to do with the dead  Romulan bodies?
Are they going to bury them in the vineyard? Even if they managed to magically vaporize, there was time for Picard and the others to obtain some physical evidence to prove there are Romulan kill squads operating on Earth. There should be cameras everywhere in the future.

1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

The fight scene with Laris and Zhaban at the chateau was exciting -  but it leads to questions the show doesn't want to deal with: what is Picard going to do with the dead  Romulan bodies?
Are they going to bury them in the vineyard? Even if they managed to magically vaporize, there was time for Picard and the others to obtain some physical evidence to prove there are Romulan kill squads operating on Earth. There should be cameras everywhere in the future.

Laris and Zhaban are ex-Tal Shiar, therefore highly skilled at disposing of unwanted evidence. And all they have to do to get rid of the bodies is fire a phaser on its highest setting - poof, vaporised, no magic required. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 2/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, Llywela said:

Speaking of accents, Cabrera got to try out a fair few in this episode! Having spent formative years at school in London, his normal speaking voice for English is usually English-accented, like the EMH, but Rios has more of an American accent, while one of the emergency holograms has an Irish accent, which I haven't heard Cabrera play before. Having seen how much fun he had going 'undercover' as an elderly Argentinian scientist in Salvation, I bet he had a blast filming all those variations on the character here!

Watching this finally, as I'm hunkered down due to COVID-19 with my mum's login for Space (Canada) and to me the EMH's accent was all Newfoundlander. Not enough to be full Irish.

Also the JL grated hard on me. Picard is far too dignified to have his name abbreviated that way.

Engage at the end made me so happy!

• Love 1
On 2/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, Kostgard said:

I think they could make similar improvements with Narek and possibly Soji (though I'm more irritated at how naive/infantilized she is), but Rizzo is way too cheesy and she may be beyond repair for me.

I like Narek, possibly because of residual fondness for Harry Treadaway. Narissa I'm expecting to see unhinge her jaw and swallow a Guinea pig whole any time she's onscreen.

It finally occurred to me that the familiar thing I couldn't place about Commodore Oh is that Tamlyn Tomita's line delivery is the same as Gillian Anderson's on Hannibal playing Dr. Du Maurier.