Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The Bad Hearer

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, KATBOW said:

I love the character of Joan-Margaret!  She had me laughing at "shitter"!

That's pronounced "shitta" LOL

I'm glad they finally figured out how to use the character of Joan-Margaret this season. I thought she should have been cut previously.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, KATBOW said:

I didn't think the secret was a big deal either. 

I love the character of Joan-Margaret!  She had me laughing at "shitter"!

I love her too she is a great addition. Her little Segway into the public evaluation of Frankie's date outfit was adorable. 

• Love 5
On 1/16/2020 at 6:06 AM, Harvey said:

It was adorable how excited Frankie was about her date with Jack. There was all this build up to the revelation of his secret but in the end I did not feel like it was such a big deal.

I think it would definitely seem like a big deal to some people. I could easily believe that somebody freaked out about it on a date. I'm glad it was something that wasn't actually bad and made Jack kind of vulnerable. But then, if you cast Michael McKean I'm always going to root for him.

• Love 4
On 1/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, sistermagpie said:

I think it would definitely seem like a big deal to some people. I could easily believe that somebody freaked out about it on a date. I'm glad it was something that wasn't actually bad and made Jack kind of vulnerable. But then, if you cast Michael McKean I'm always going to root for him.

Well, I didn't root for his character on Better Call Saul, but he was magnificent in it, and should have gotten an Emmy. I was thrilled to see him here in a very different role. (amusingly, I didn't find him at all attractive in BCS, but instantly thought he was attractive here). I mentioned to a friend who also watches this show that I'd liked him since he played Lenny on Laverne and Shirley, and she was shocked - she had not made the connection.

Frankie's hearing issue at the restaurant is way too real. I have the same issue, but my reasons for not dealing with it are very different.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I didn't root for his character on Better Call Saul, but he was magnificent in it, and should have gotten an Emmy. I was thrilled to see him here in a very different role. (amusingly, I didn't find him at all attractive in BCS, but instantly thought he was attractive here). I mentioned to a friend who also watches this show that I'd liked him since he played Lenny on Laverne and Shirley, and she was shocked - she had not made the connection.

Agreed with all of this. It's funny that on one hand I totally get people not making the connection to Lenny, but for me he's always Lenny first. (Also yes, he was so good on BCS but  wouldn't say I rooted for him--what a fantastic character they discovered with him, not just for him but for how he defined Saul's life.)

I really like this character for Frankie, actually. Jacob's a great guy, but he seems too much like the dad/protector who's amused by Frankie's weirdness to me. I think Frankie as a character comes across better when she's with someone who you can see genuinely getting something from her personality.

• Love 3

For me Michael McKean is first the skeezy guy who body-swapped with Mulder in The X-Files, heh, which is a little bit like what Frankie is pulling in this episode.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Frankie's hearing issue at the restaurant is way too real. I have the same issue, but my reasons for not dealing with it are very different.

Yeah, like my roaring tinnitus caused by past medications, which they say hearing aids won't help. But I do appreciate the way they dealt with Frankie's hearing (more like my Dad's) and the way they've pretty realistically handled so many ageing issues. They seem determined to touch on all of them before they finish the series.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, like my roaring tinnitus caused by past medications, which they say hearing aids won't help. But I do appreciate the way they dealt with Frankie's hearing (more like my Dad's) and the way they've pretty realistically handled so many ageing issues. They seem determined to touch on all of them before they finish the series.

I'm sorry to hear about your tinnitus, Shapeshifter. I've had tinnutus since I was 12(!), and either it's getting worse now, or it seems louder because I don't hear as well as I used to.

If I'm being dramatic, I will occasionally say "I lost silence at 12." The doctor who diagnosed it told me either I get used to it, or I go crazy. So I chose the first option. (which doesn't mean I haven't had bad days)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 2/10/2020 at 11:26 AM, LilWharveyGal said:

Heh, he's got something for everybody!  To me he's always Mr. Green. 

Same here!  I've seen Michael McKean in many things, but I've watched Clue so many times he will always be Mr. Green to me.  "I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

I dig him with Frankie from the little we've seen - and heard - so far.  I did not like the bunny story, but otherwise his big secret was no big deal.  I LOL at Frankie telling him Grace had the same experience, and she was going to leave them to talk about it, as her way of trying to get him to repeat it.

I understand Grace's thinking with this marketing strategy, but I think people are going to be pretty disappointed when they find out it's a toilet.  I like that they keep making products that are difficult to market because they're things people need but don't want to talk about needing.

It's funny - we've seen Erica several times before, but it wasn't until this episode that I thought, "Where do I know her from?"  (It's the "Reality Check" episode of Major Crimes; she played Colleen Dickerhoof.)  She didn't look familiar to me until now.

Joan-Margaret's presentation, and Frankie being afraid they were going to get kicked out of their own board meeting, was funny.  The "shitter"/"shitta" exchange was priceless.

• Love 1

The way Bud and Robert hovered over Sol’s breakfast at the beginning was infuriating. He has a slow-growing prostate cancer, not heart disease! I’m glad Robert learned not to be a buttinsky.

I’m another who can relate to that restaurant scene. Tinnitus as long as I can remember plus a bit of hearing loss starting. I hope they don’t make hearing aids for Frankie the panacea that they’ve made surgery for Sol—amplifying one person speaking and not the background noise is not a given. 

• Love 1