Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: What The Bailiff Saw

WendyCR72

To air on January 20, 2020:

Lola travels to Washington to help her husband land an important job at the FBI; Mark and Amy Quinn's relationship heats up as Amy tries to put together a winning defense for Vic Callan's murder case.

• Love 1

So this episode cemented for me that they totally only give Lola a husband to keep the "will they or won't they" out of her friendship with Mark. Now they've established that she has one, they're happy ... and he never has to appear on screen.

(The actor was on 9-1-1, and I remember because it was one of my favorite scenes. Athena, a cop played by Angela Bassett, was hooking up with him and got herself stuck in her own handcuffs during their tryst. She had to call her friend Hen, a paramedic, to get the keys. Hen absolutely fell the fuck out laughing when she showed up. The whole scene was gold.)

• Love 6

However, in that final phone call scene, where they were only shooting the husband from the one side of the bed, I fully expected to see them conclude their lovey-dovey call and have the camera pull back to find a sleek blonde in lingerie lounging and sipping wine in the other side of the bed.  I was very happy to see that they did not go there.  Real people do have happy and healthy relationships, not everything on TV needs to be full of strife and drama.

I'm also surprised that the information about a bug in the courthouse wasn't met with more outrage than it was.

The undercover agent on Mark's father's defense team was cracking me up with how she kept changing characters scene to scene, and stayed "in character" throughout.  Too bad that story seems to be concluding, because that would have been an awesome running gag.

One thing I really love about this show is the richness in the supporting characters, and their developing stories and divergent personalities.  The budding romance between the detective and Lola's admin is adorable, and Sara's passion as a full member of the legal process in her "fly on the wall" role as a court stenographer

• Love 11
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

So... they can bug conversations between attorney and client, and use the evidence at trial? WTF? I'm outraged, and this is the first time I actually had trouble following the logic on this show.

It seems pretty wrong to me too. I guess privilege only applies if the attorney and client are alone, but if that is the case, Emily seems pretty dumb for her "hiring" the kid as a consultant. When she did it I thought it sounded like a fake TV thing that wouldn't work in real life, but it seems like it didn't even work on TV.

• Love 3

Dad's lawyer, do you think any woman would be OK showing up at a federal jail looking like that? I hate how unprofessional some of these women look on the job.  Though this show is 90% better than most shows

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Dad's lawyer, do you think any woman would be OK showing up at a federal jail looking like that? I hate how unprofessional some of these women look on the job.  Though this show is 90% better than most shows

I just refer to that lady as "Boobs" because it's all I can notice when she's on screen. 

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

So... they can bug conversations between attorney and client, and use the evidence at trial? WTF? I'm outraged, and this is the first time I actually had trouble following the logic on this show.

I long ago came to the realization that my Law & Order legal education is only good in New York state 

• LOL 6
15 hours ago, jabRI said:

Definitely felt the same way.  Certainly not professional with the ultra low cut top.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, jabRI said:

15 hours ago, vibeology said:

I just refer to that lady as "Boobs" because it's all I can notice when she's on screen.

1 hour ago, cameron said:

Definitely felt the same way.  Certainly not professional with the ultra low cut top.

Mr. HV used to be a cop long ago.  I once accompanied him to superior court one day because he had to quickly be present for a trial, then we had the rest of the day to shop for plumbing fixtures and appliances and other details for our kitchen remodel.   Why did we stop off at court you say?  A common defense strategy is if the witness/cop isn't present to testify, then the case would more than likely be dismissed.  If the witness/cop is present to testify, then they'll go to a plea deal.  Rarely will the case actually move forward to trial.  Literally showing up makes a big difference in the outcome.  So Mr. HV showed up.

I nicknamed defense attorney "Boobs McGee" because she was wearing a va-va-va-voom pastel peplum pencil skirted suit with a low cut blouse out of which her generous boobage spilled.  She had no idea who I was, but she essentially hip-checked me out of her way to get to Mr. HV who was sitting on a bench waiting to go inside the courtroom.  She was shaking her boobs in his face and flipping her hair around in an attempt to, I dunno, influence his testimony for her client?  It was like witnessing a clothed lap dance.  I was more amused than jealous, though I was getting rather irritated.  When Boobs paused to take a breath, Mr. HV smoothly broke in, grinned up at her, made an elegant hand motion over to me and said "I'm sorry....have you met my wife?"

She immediately straightened, and had the decency to look extremely embarrassed as she red-facedly mumbled "Pleased to meet you..." in my direction and scuttled off to find the prosecutor to make her deal.   Mr. HV laughed his ass off.  I was a bit disgruntled and out-of-sorts for the rest of the day.

So, yeah.  At least in my experience it works that way.

• Love 9
On 1/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, Empress1 said:

So this episode cemented for me that they totally only give Lola a husband to keep the "will they or won't they" out of her friendship with Mark. Now they've established that she has one, they're happy ... and he never has to appear on screen.

(The actor was on 9-1-1, and I remember because it was one of my favorite scenes. Athena, a cop played by Angela Bassett, was hooking up with him and got herself stuck in her own handcuffs during their tryst. She had to call her friend Hen, a paramedic, to get the keys. Hen absolutely fell the fuck out laughing when she showed up. The whole scene was gold.)

This is one of my favorite scenes between Athena and Hen LOL. Hen was about the take pictures of them in the handcuffs.

• Love 3

I am shocked that people are allowed to bug rooms where lawyers and their clients are meeting and its legal if its in a jail?! Most of my legal knowledge comes from crime shows, but if that really is legal and something that happens, that is so messed up. 

I liked seeing more of Lola's husband, and while they seem to exist at least partially to keep people from seeing anything romantic between Lola and Mark, I like that she has a sweet and low key marriage, even if its a long distance one. I was afraid that when they were on the phone they would pan over to another woman in her husbands bed, and was super glad they didnt add that unnecessary drama to the show. Interesting that people in DC are all apparently watching Lola and are interesting in following her career. More playing the game for Lola! 

I really like the romance between the cop and Lola's admin, in general I really love all of the supporting and reoccurring characters, they all have so much life in them and do so much in their short screen time. I also loved the running joke of the investigator on Marks dads team being totally in character whenever they saw her, it was hilarious and I hope that we can see her at least one more time. 

I am glad that Marks dad apparently really isnt the killer, mostly because that would be really hard for him. His dad was obviously a lousy parent and a low level crook, but being a killer is a really big blow. 

• Love 4

Regarding the bug in the interview room, I think the show got it wrong, unless they did that intentionally to follow up on in a subsequent episode.  I did some quick research, and (disclaimer - no lawyer I) found this appeals court case statement:

Almost 50 years ago, the Supreme Court held that a “‘conversation [is] within the Fourth Amendment’s protections,” and that “the use of electronic devices to capture it [is] a ‘search’ within the meaning of the Amendment.” See Berger v. New York, 388 U.S. 41, 51 (1967) (invalidating a New York statute that authorized the electronic interception of private conversations by the police (through recording devices installed in various offices) pursuant to a court order, on the ground that the procedures for obtaining the order were insufficient to comply with the Warrants Clause of the Fourth Amendment).

Now, the PD and DA might make an exception in that they didn't use the information directly against the defendant, but only to arrest others involved in the crime.  Still, it's slipshod activity on their part because once that information became public, every case those officers had worked would become tainted and subject to review.  That, and the defendant would sure enough shut up and refuse to testify at the trial. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, vibeology said:

Yes.  I half expected her boobs to pop out of her dress.  It was like she couldn't decide if she was meeting a client at prison, or trying to impress his son with her cleavage. 

It was also quite a contrast to Court Reporter who wore a potato sack with a jacket for her tearful conference with Judge Lola.