Type keyword(s) to search

Bake Off/Baking Show: Comparing the Countries, Hosts and Judges

• Start Topic

Have thoughts about the how the US version compares to the UK version?  Where does Canada fit in?  What about Brazil, Argentina, Denmark??????

This is the place to discuss differences in formats, thoughts about the hosts (Are Mel and Sue the gold standard? Do the Spices make you stabby or do you enjoy their banter?), and any of the judges, regardless of which version of the show they are on. 

6 hours ago, Refresh said:

I have liked both sets of hosts on GBBO - Mel & Sue and Noel & Sandy. And I went into the British reboot very sore about Mel & Sue being gone and I've been charmed by Noel & Sandy. But the American version hosts have always been somehow annoying AND forgettable.

I feel like, for me, Mel and Sue were the gold standard. I may or may not have daydreamed about being BFFs with them (depending on how weird it makes me sound). I only knew Noel from IT Club so he originally seemed like a very odd choice. BUT I quickly grew to love Noel. I've not warmed up to Sandi but I don't dislike her. I do dislike Prue.

A couple of years ago the American hosts were Nia Vardalos and her husband Ian something and, Oh My God, I found her almost completely unwatchable. (He was just there.) There was an energy about her that actually made me anxious. So the Spice Twins are almost unwatchable but at least they don't make me anxious.

For terrible hosts have you tried Canada? I actually find Canadian Bake Off to be about 85% unwatchable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm not sure of the point of having the hosts at all except to announce "BAKE" and shout out time left. 

I think that's true of the American version.  The hosts haven't added anything and, in the case of the Spice duo, they detract from the show.  However, I've read many times that Mel and Sue were much appreciated by the contestants on the British show.  They provided encouragement and were caring enough to buoy people up when needed.  I think Noel did the same from what I could see.  I came to like him very much.  Not as sure about Sandy.  

• Love 3

Mel and Sue were known for swearing excessively when bakers were upset so the footage couldn't be used.  They really did seem to do a good job of supporting the contestants when they were overwhelmed and helping to reduce stress as much as possible. 

Noel and Sandy add nothing for me.  Every Sandy joke is about her height.  We get it; she's short.  To me, Noel is too LOOK AT ME!!!!! The contestants seem to enjoy him much more than I do, so it may be more of a cultural difference.

Baby Spice and Football Spice detract from the show.  She is so overly aware of everything she does.  One of the things that is discussed in acting and performance classes is how hard it is to simply walk on stage like a normal human; that is, not looking awkward or unnatural.  Baby Spice always looks odd, with her foot across the other foot walk and crossed leg stance.  FFS lady, relax.  Football Spice simply has nothing to add beyond I would like to eat all of the things.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Mel and Sue were known for swearing excessively when bakers were upset so the footage couldn't be used.  They really did seem to do a good job of supporting the contestants when they were overwhelmed and helping to reduce stress as much as possible. 

That is f-ing brilliant. 🙂 No wonder I love them so much. I didn't know Mel & Sue did that, but you can absolutely tell the contestants on GBBO really liked them and they in turn were actually moved when they had to eliminate a baker. 

That's why I don't think Spice & Spice spend that much time with the bakers. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Refresh said:

That's why I don't think Spice & Spice spend that much time with the bakers. 

Or don't want to.  Their primary purpose seems to be mugging for the camera.  Have they ever helped the bakers?  I know Mel and Sue did on occasion.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I've never seen GBBO

Do you have Netflix? They've got a bunch of seasons, including the best ones with Mary, Sue, & Mel. You should check it out because the difference will amaze you.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I've never seen GBBO but in the American version, the hosts seem completely unnecessary.

Absolutely worth viewing. The gold standard for this type of show.  Mel and Sue were just great.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, GaT said:

Do you have Netflix? They've got a bunch of seasons, including the best ones with Mary, Sue, & Mel. You should check it out because the difference will amaze you.

Yes, and I've had it on my list for a long time now. I just never seem to get around to watching it. 

Edited by Jillybean
On 1/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, Kohola3 said:

Absolutely worth viewing. The gold standard for this type of show.  Mel and Sue were just great.

Except for Sue breaking a lot of the bakers' work.  I wouldn't have wanted her anywhere near my oven.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Except for Sue breaking a lot of the bakers' work.  I wouldn't have wanted her anywhere near my oven.

As I recall, Sue elbowed Howard's (season 4) english muffins (episode 2) and Mel elbowed or almost elbowed Cathryn's (season 3) bagels (episode 2).  Sue explained what happened at judge's table so Howard wasn't penalized for the deformed muffin.  I don't remember any other incidents involving Sue and Mel and I'm sure the producers would have aired any that occurred because that's the kind of drama they want.  One incident per host over seven seasons isn't "a lot" in my book but YMMV.

• Love 2

I've found all the hosts to be cringe right along (especially Mel and Sue)until Ellie Kemper was cast. She seems kind and quite refreshing and not trying to grab  attention away from the contestants or to distract them.

I do find some of her wardrobe choices to be a little odd, but I can accept all the ruffles and pleats.