Type keyword(s) to search

To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You (2020)

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

You might want to update the thread title. The movie title is apparently To All The Boys: P.S. I Still Love You.

I honestly had no clue what this was and weirdly thought it was a sequel to the Hillary Swank movie "P.S. I Love You" which made no sense because why/how would you make a sequel to that?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Haven’t watched or read anything because I don’t want to be “spoiled” by how they are going to make an interesting movie out of the book which had even less of plot than the first one. 
Watching it Thursday with a group of friends at our Galentine’s Day party.

This movie was great in the way that the first one was - light, sweet, and funny. I liked that they incorporated Lara Jean's father encouraging the girls to keep their Korean heritage alive as a way to be connected with their mother. I wasn't a huge fan of the Mrs. Rothschild plot in the books, but I liked that it gave their dad a role besides being a supportive father.

One aspect I really liked was that the movie addressed the idea that having a boyfriend doesn't automatically mean that you don't see/notice/like other people.

I also liked that Lara Jean was shown being a little jealous/insecure about Gen's relationship with Peter because that is a pretty common reaction. As an adult, it's a lot easier to avoid that because you aren't stuck in a building with your boyfriend's ex for 7-8 hours a day. But in high school, you could have classes with the ex or just run into them all the time. Of course, it didn't help that Gen went out of her way to let Lara Jean know that Peter took her to the same restaurant he'd taken Gen to many times.

I loved that Chris advised Lara Jean to be proactive about her own sexuality before going too far with Peter. So often the message that is sent to teenage girls is that good girls don't have sex and that's the extent of the conversation. It's rare to hear someone advise a teenage girl to explore her own sexuality.

Belleview is the nicest/fanciest/most upscale retirement community I've ever seen, yet somehow the place is run solely by Dorothy, Lara Jean, and John Ambrose. Stormy seemed a lot tamer here than in the book, but she was still fun to have around.

Lara Jean's cherry turnovers looked so good!

I totally cracked up at the singing telegrams. When I was in high school, my choir did the same thing. We had to deliver them all during first period. Apparently the school did not want us disrupting classes all day. I totally cracked up when Trevor started singing along. Ross Butler is always a welcome addition and I'm all for any guy who will sing along with the Backstreet Boys.

Yay, Lucas is back!

One change they made from the book that I really liked was Lara Jean offering to give the necklace back. I was really mad when he asked for it back in the book. A gift is a gift, not a temporary loan until you break up.

Overall I enjoyed it. I'll probably leave it running in the background a few times this weekend so that it gets more views on Netflix's counter.

• Love 6

I thought it was really cute. Jordan Fisher has charisma to spare ,he was great casting. Even though I was supposed to root for Peter I kind of wanted for Lara Jean to pick John Ambrose because he was so charming in the role. 

Singing telegrams seem terribly embarrassing and introvert me is cringing at the thought . I liked that the teacher was all "Lets get this over with" because it seems very distracting.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Even though I was supposed to root for Peter I kind of wanted for Lara Jean to pick John Ambrose because he was so charming in the role. 

I agree. Even though I knew how it was going to end because I read the books, Jordan Fisher was great in this role (and I'm pretty sure I was subconsciously remembering what a jerk Peter was in this book and holding that against movie Peter while I watched).

• Love 4

This was cute, Lana and Noah still have chemistry to spare and Lana especially has such a wonderfully expressive face. They couldn't have cast a better romcom heroine. I found the ending incredibly rushed though and despite Fisher's best efforts, John Ambrose never really felt like a credible threat because the movie never really gives him enough to screen-time to feel like one. On paper though, that character is bland as hell but Jordan imbues him with a certain warmth and sweetness that a part of me was even more confused as to why they gave him such a cruel ending. Especially when earlier in the film he openly talks about always feeling second best to Peter! The lack of closure with him and Lara Jean there is so weird. I feel like the piano scene (probably my favourite scene in the film) would have been a far better conclusion for them than just having the dude be left out in the snow. Anyway, give Jordan his own romcom please. 

Also, I know they really wanted me to feel bad for Gen but.... I don't care???? I feel for her having family problems but uh, that doesn't really excuse the bullying. And I do wish the movie had allowed to Peter to be a bit more flawed, in the book I think it leans far too heavily on making him too flawed to the point where it's hard to even root for him, but I think a middle ground between having him at least make mistakes and be a little inconsiderate but still sweet and understanding would have made for a far better movie instead of having so much of the issues be just about Lara Jean's insecurities. 

Edited by haje
  • Love 7

This movie was cute (not as good as the first but still good). Lana and Noah have such great chemistry but I still don’t feel sorry for that bully Gen. Nothing excuses you for being an insecure bully.

I wish they didn’t make John Ambrose so likable because I felt so sad for him at the end. His character seemed to fit better with LJ but the heart wants what it wants.  Jordan Fisher was adorable as always.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, twoods said:

This movie was cute (not as good as the first but still good). Lana and Noah have such great chemistry but I still don’t feel sorry for that bully Gen. Nothing excuses you for being an insecure bully.

Especially when that bully sent out a tape that implied you were having sex in a hot tub. I think it was really shitty of Peter to know it was Gen but not let Lara Jean know he knew. She had every right to be pissed. Tapes like that are always worse for girls. 

• Love 6

My favorite scene ended up being the one with Gen at the treehouse. There absolutely are those people that we will always feel some kind of connection to, and even affection for, long after the relationship has turned sour. Lara Jean and Gen hate each other now but they were best friends once and both ladies did a great job quietly showing that complication.

Lara Jean was baking! Her incessant baking is the one thing I'd have added to the first movie so I'm delighted to see it here. Snicker-doodles, turnovers, and cupcakes! That's the LJ I adore.

I loved the Fakesgiving scene and how we knew Trinia was a good fit for the Covey family because she not only was comfortable hearing the story about Mom but actively engaged and was thankful to hear a cherished memory. There wasn't any doubt, and not just because I've read the books, as this isn't the type of story to do a surprise Wicked Stepmother but it was a great way to show her compatibility with them. And her and Peter happily eating the canned green beans was adorable.

John Ambrose was great here and I wouldn't object to a spinoff sequel where he finds his own love.

I'm still a Peter K lady all the way. Noah imbues him with so much charm and attitude that I can't help it. Sofia Alvarez and J. Mills Goodloe are credited with the screenplay so I have to commend them as well for giving Noah good material.

Looking forward to the third, which I believe Lana said has already wrapped.

• Love 4

I liked it.  This book to me had a lot of problematic elements so I wanted to see how they would handle him

Peter keeping it a secret that Genieve made the video and him asking for the necklace back were two of them. 

Her choosing to give the necklace back and him telling his reasons for keeping the video a secret were a better fit.  I don’t agree with his reasoning but at least it was nice to hear it

Also loved their Stormy.  

• Love 2

I feel like this really could have benefitted from an extra 30 minutes. 

But overall it has everything I liked from the first movie. Although I wish Jordan Fishers, John Ambrose could stick around for the third movie cause he was every bit as charming as I imagined John Ambrose to be.

These movies are sold by the chemistry of Lara Jean and Peter but it rests on the shoulders on Lana Condor who is a damn revelation imo. It would be so easy to play Lara Jean as a type of “manic pixie dream girl” but Lana reflects all the introspection across her face. 

• Love 7

After watching the movie and reading the book they def. made Peter less of a jerk than in the book. Probably because of Noah. 

I didn't think John Ambrose and Lara Jean had much chemistry together.  Not like Peter and Lara Jean.

I am glad the movie didnt do that game they did in the book. 

The person in the middle of a love triangle is always annoying. It bugged me that she didn't tell either of the boys about each other. 

Looking forward to the 3rd movie.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, haje said:

Also, I know they really wanted me to feel bad for Gen but.... I don't care???? I feel for her having family problems but uh, that doesn't really excuse the bullying.

Taking the video and POSTING IT ONLINE was so far over the line I don’t see how she can come back from that. Expecting to meet Peter at the hot tub and seeing him with Lara Jean and being jealous- I get, even snapping a photo so you can show Peter later I get (I don’t agree with but I get), however filming them and posting it online was so nasty and malicious I don’t how how she was supposed to come back from that. 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, shoregirl said:

Especially when that bully sent out a tape that implied you were having sex in a hot tub. I think it was really shitty of Peter to know it was Gen but not let Lara Jean know he knew. She had every right to be pissed. Tapes like that are always worse for girls. 

Ding ding!

For the record I loved the movie. Lana Candor is a treasure and Lara Jean has such a genuine vulnerability that you cannot help buy empathize with her. The film was also shot beautifully- the cinematography was gorgeous, that scene of Lara Jean, Peter and the jellyfish was breath taking. I also like how the costume desire dressed Lara Jean- she looked beautiful but very quirky, I liked the red dress in the first scene a lot and how she dressed for Peter’s game- they kept all the kids adolescent but visually stunning.

YES to John Ambrose finding his own love in the next film (I haven’t read the books). Noah Centineo is a treasure and if he keeps at it he can have a long career. 

• Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 7:11 PM, shoregirl said:

And that's why I couldn't with Gen. I know teenagers can be impulsive and mean, but posting a video to make people think your former friend is having sex is unforgivable. "I miss my boyfriend" and "my parents are getting a divorce" don't make that okay.

The fact that Peter KNEW that Gen was behind it and blatantly lied to Lara Jean about it repeatedly makes him a shitbag. I don't care if his reason was that he didn't want Lara Jean to have any reason to be angrier with Gen than she already was. Why shouldn't she be mad that her ex-BFF slut shamed her to the entire school (and the entire internet)?

I know this series is about Lara Jean + Peter = twu wuv but I couldn't stand book Peter and movie Peter is only infinitesimally less awful.

• Love 3

I didn’t like it. I do think Lara Candor is fabulous and has good chemistry with Noah but the fact that I don’t like him off camera has colored the character for me.

The book had hardly any plot and I do think this handled some of the elements better particularly not dragging the Peter hanging with Gen so much but that made Lara Jean’s “predicament” over choosing between them not really make sense.

I also thought Jordan looked too old for the role, I understand he isn’t that much older than Noah but he looked it to me. When he was doing the concussion check on LJ I joked that he looked like he was in his last year of residency. I also didn’t think they had any chemistry.

Holland Taylor was a delight and her and Trini were the only things I really liked about the movie.

The third book has even less of a plot than the second so I don’t have high hopes for that movie either.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

The first movie was such delightful lightning in a bottle that I feared for this one.  While it wasn't as good as the first movie, I thoroughly enjoyed the light hearted rom com. 

I loved the continuing traditions of the girls and their Korean culture (LOVED the haboks!). 

Lana is such a good heroine.  Even when I'm mildly frustrated by LJ, I also am rooting for her!

I understand that ppl have feelings about Noah, but I like his Peter K.   That said, there are some things I struggle to forgive him, esp knowing and lying repeated that Gen posted that terrible video and that he wasn't truthful about who he was waiting for at the hottub.  That last bit really bummed me out.  If I'm LJ, I would 100% question this foundational moment in their relationship.  I also call bullshit on homeboy stealing the Poe poem and essentially passing it off as his own.  Whatever, man.

Jordan Fisher surprised and delighted me in the role.  So charming, sweet, and dreamy!  What a doll he is.  The piano and the dance were particular good scenes.   I hope we see him in the 3rd movie and that JA gets his just dessert for being so cool and sweet. 

Good to see Lucas and I loved his line about straight girl first world problems re: LJ's too many dudes. 

I'm Team Peter, and I think he makes a fun hs bf.  As a happily married old lady of 37, I would want someone like John Ambrose. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Clearly, I missed something in the media! Why do people not like the actor?

Variety of reasons from being a pretentious douche nozzle on social media and in some interviews, praising Logan Paul, his choice in books gives me Flashbacks to a bunch of asshats in college, etc.

• Love 1

I've watched the first movie dozens of times. I never get tired of it. The sequel was cute, but nowhere near as good as the original.

Can't stand John Ambrose. I hope to see neither hide nor hair of him in the third movie. I agree with those who said Jordan and Lana had no chemistry. Zero. I couldn't take him seriously as a "threat" to LJ/Peter because...I just don't see it. Plus, it will forever bother me that I'm just supposed to ignore that there was an entirely different actor in the first movie 🙄

They finished filming the third shortly after the second, so hopefully we won't have to wait a year+ for that to be released!

• Love 3