Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E25: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

Airs December 16, 2019

In the final phase of the competition, the final four artists perform live in front of coaches Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani to compete for the title of The Voice.

A Chicago Tribune story on Katie: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-the-voice-final-katie-kadan-20191212-bh2s3f2cvfe7hcs46cmse4c42y-story.html

Talking about her look: “Her ensemble usually features a head wrap, which is a nod to her Palestinian heritage, and funky glasses, which are reminiscent of the ones she wore as a home-schooled teen — until kids made fun of her.”

“Before she joined “The Voice,” Kadan considered returning to college to study psychology “because I ultimately love to help people.”

She’s a vocal coach, piano instructor and professional musician who started playing Chicago clubs about eight years ago (she was a frequent performer at the now-closed Underground Wonder Bar in River North). She said she loves living in Chicago, but hasn’t ruled out moving to Los Angeles for her career and the sunshine.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought this was the best Part one finale show they’ve had. Duran’s original song was gorgeous. Katie was her usual complete package, total star powerhouse. Hoot was good and Rose’s duet with Gwen was adorable. But Rose’s final song, her Elton John cover was AMAZING. 

The only sour point was that John Legend was obviously trying to take down the competition a bit — he pointed out that Duran’s song was the real star in his performance (true, but kind of bitchy) and obviously gave as little praise as he possible could to Rose’s final performance. That kind of thing can backfire on his contestants. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I also thought this was one of the best finales! 

I LOVED Rose's original song! Its so rare that I actually like an original song on these singing competition shows. I really liked hers a lot. I would actually download it if I downloaded songs.

I also really liked Ricky's original song, even though I have not ever been very excited about him. I did like when he sang "Let it Be."  I agreed with John Legend that it was a great song, and I can see why John would want to sing it.

I think Kelly has a massive crush on Jake. The way she had googly eyes when she was singing with him and how she can't stop gushing over him. I mean he is objectively pretty attractive and he's super big and tall. I think he's very hot. 

Katie is great but her style is a bit repetitive for me in terms of how she does some similar techniques in every song. I did like her cover of Aerosmith tonight.

I am going to predict that Jake or Katie wins, but I hope Rose does. I thought it was so interesting that she was a prison guard. I didn't know that until tonight because I don't listen to anything except the singing. It made me understand why she was looking so bitchy up there prior to getting voted into the finals.

---

I threw all my votes at Rose. 

I think Jake will will have a career regardless and so will Katie.  Ricky is good but just doesn't wow me for whatever reason. 

I liked how they showed a lot of the behind the scenes stuff going on during the break. I wish we could see more of that. I can't believe how many people are involved in this show. I wonder how much money the band makes. It seems like it would be a pretty good gig. I'd like to see how they learn the songs each week and stuff like that.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Didn’t watch the whole show but Kelly & Jake’s duet was really beautiful. Kelly is a solid duet partner, she really knows how to complement another voice.

Definitely the best duo of the night, their harmonies were really great.  Gwen and Rose's duet was cute.

My order of who I'd want to win:  Katie, Rose or Jake, Ricky.  Duran is talented no doubt, but my least fave.

i thought this was a very solid finale with four voices that really earned the title. Also liked that various genres of music were represented  with rock, country, gospel and (I guess) jazz/pop? if I had to label Katie. Very nicely done. LIked all the new songs and the duets too. 

I'm hoping for a Katie or Rose win. Fingers crossed. But since I've never voted on one of these competitions in my life I guess I should suck it up if artists I don't care as much for are usually the winners.

11 hours ago, Cramps said:

The only sour point was that John Legend was obviously trying to take down the competition a bit — he pointed out that Duran’s song was the real star in his performance (true, but kind of bitchy) and obviously gave as little praise as he possible could to Rose’s final performance. That kind of thing can backfire on his contestants. 

I view it a little differently.  He DID say that Rickey's original song would probably be the most streamed of all of them.  I took it that is was a great song (it was, usually the original songs aren't very good) and that it was a good fit for his voice.  He really was pitch perfect on it.  I could see that song actually getting play.  

While I thought Rose's final performance was good, it just didn't strike the same chord with me as it did with some of the other posters.  Not saying you are wrong - just different tastes I guess.

All in all, a really solid finale - there were no clinkers in the bunch and the performances were varied enough that, unlike other seasons, it really isn't a foregone conclusion who will win.

• Love 2

I agree that this has been a decent season and am glad that all coaches were included. I think it will come down to Jake or Katy. I think Rose has a good voice, but she was a little too screaming to me. You don't have to go full scream to show you have a strong voice. That said, her voice is good and strong, but I don't think it is unique. Katy is good and will probably win. I really like Jake, though, and hope he wins. The duet with Kelly was beautiful, and his other songs were perfect. 

My preferred order would be Jake for the win, Katy, Rose, and then Ricky. He just didn't connect with me for some reason.

• Love 3

I've been listening to songs on YouTube and the vocals are SO much easier to hear than on my TV.  I think I will do this in the future so I can get a better sense of their voices.  

In Rose's original song this week I could not hear her very well in parts, but in the YouTube version, her voice was clear throughout.

--

I forget which episode Tones and I played on (the girl from Australia). Here is a video of her playing on the street last year. She went from playing on the street to worldwide chart-topping song in just a few months.  Watching her here, on the keyboards and synthesizers, makes me think of Depeche Mode and the way they build so many layers into their songs.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 1

I just watched since I have to wait a day and catch it on HULU but I think everyone was really good. I really liked Katie's original and thought it fit her perfectly. I think she will win and even though I'm not a country fan I'm a Hooter ;-) I just love Jake and want him to win.

I really enjoyed the duets and thought Gwen looked really pretty in that black dress she had one with Rose. Kelly looked pretty in the silver dress she had on in the beginning but I didn't care for the gold one.

As I said last week, I think it will be Katie, Jake, Ricky and Rose. I put Ricky over Rose for 2 reasons, 1. Blake fans 2. She was in the bottom and had to be saved last week.

I edited because I forgot to add how much  l loved seeing Katie's dad wearing funky glasses in support of her. But those black round glasses she had on looked like they were frames only, I couldn't see lenses.

Edited by foxfreakinmulder

I also watch it a day late because I'm overseas and can't get it live.  I thought this was one of the best finales we've had in years.  All four contestants were really good.  The only performance that fell kind of flat for me was Gwen & Rose's duet.

Having said all that, I think my favorite two performances overall were Katie's original and Katie and John's duet.  But the other three originals were all actually quite good as well and Rose's cover to end the show was great.  I thought the other 3 covers were no more than decent.  I might give a slight edge to Ricky among those, but probably mostly because I've always liked Tom Petty.

My mom and I were watching and she said that she has never liked Kelly Clarkson and couldn't figure out why. We decided it's because a lot of her over exuberance and lovefest stuff just doesn't come off as genuine all the time. She reminds me of someone who is all smiles and laughs and full of love as long as the camera is on her, but as soon as it moves away she's stone faced and bitchy. Maybe not,  but it's the feeling I get. 

I do think this was one of the best finales I've seen in a long time. I didn't really dislike any of them. 

• Love 1