Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E12: Just Go For It

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, albinerhawk said:

Just saw this article about new changes CBS is implementing on Survivor. Seems rather vague. Not sure what they mean by biases. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/survivor-cbs-policy-change-dan-spilo-alleged-misconduct-1203446825/

It looks like they aren't just addressing the sexual harassment issue but also Julia's complaint about the n-word and similar issues. Or at least they're putting in programming to talk to the castaways about this stuff.

Biases just means prejudices someone has, such as racial, gender, religious, sexual orientation or identity, etc. An unconscious bias is simply a prejudice you don't even realize you have. (My guess would be they'll talk about learning to analyze one's thoughts with an awareness that most people have unconscious bias so that during the game, a castaway can go through his/her thoughts and identify biases.)

The most exciting thing in that release for me is that it mentioned seasons 41 and on. So at least they haven't decided to kill it yet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

It looks like they aren't just addressing the sexual harassment issue but also Julia's complaint about the n-word and similar issues. Or at least they're putting in programming to talk to the castaways about this stuff.

Biases just means prejudices someone has, such as racial, gender, religious, sexual orientation or identity, etc. An unconscious bias is simply a prejudice you don't even realize you have. (My guess would be they'll talk about learning to analyze one's thoughts with an awareness that most people have unconscious bias so that during the game, a castaway can go through his/her thoughts and identify biases.)

The most exciting thing in that release for me is that it mentioned seasons 41 and on. So at least they haven't decided to kill it yet.

I guess what I meant to say is that while sexual harassment is pretty clear, it would be harder to prove someone voted a certain way because of prejudices. A lot of people may have racist tendencies and still not make it clear. You could make harassment in general against the rules, but then there are so many incidents in the past where players have bullied others who were not in the majority alliance on a tribe. They weren't racist. They were just mean.  

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

Fiji might have had the most unpleasant people on Survivor ever, such as Rocky, Dreamz and some other one I think.

A good choice.  I'd pick Thailand myself, because of Clay, Ted & Ghandia, and Brian later got in trouble for shooting a puppy with an arrow (if I remember that right).

3 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Fiji might have had the most unpleasant people on Survivor ever, such as Rocky, Dreamz and some other one I think.

Rocky and his cohorts were exactly the people I had in mind when I talked about contestants being downright mean especially against Anthony. My favorite part of that season was how karma came a calling on them, and we ended up with one of my favorite blindsides ever against Eduardo. That season seemed very much about team good against evil with the triumph of good.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Special K said:

Yes, but it had Yau-Man, one of my favorite Survivors ever.

I liked him too, and Earl.  I didn't mean I disliked all of them, but the vibe from a section of the cast was bad enough.

The worst cast to have is probably just a boring one where you have no reactions to anyone.

• Love 2
On 12/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, amazingracefan said:

I liked him too, and Earl.  I didn't mean I disliked all of them, but the vibe from a section of the cast was bad enough.

The worst cast to have is probably just a boring one where you have no reactions to anyone.

So, Marquesas? Yeah...

I expect "unconscious bias" stemmed from the durag event.  The "personal space" stuff is going to be equally hard to judge with everyone banging against each other during challenges and both genders sleeping in a heap.  Two shelters might be a good thing.

• Useful 1