Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Joe Piscopo / Barry Williams

It's complicated! Hahaha

Did he say he met her when she was 20.  Then later we find out it's been 8 years and she's 26?  Then breaks up with her on TV?  I was wondering who was going to outdouche whom.  It looked like they were setting up BW then JP showed his colors at the end.  That was just plain nasty, then after humiliating her saying "you love me" through the window.  How very stupid to go back with him.  But easy for me to say, looks like she devoted her entire adult life to that asshole.  I've heard a few vague things about him in the past.

I thought all the kids were just fine. Looks like BW has an awesome kid.  I wonder where his mom is but not enough to look it up. The Piscopo kids didn't look nearly as spoiled as the ones who live in the baseball player's huge mansion.  In fact, nice to see some realistic housing this time.  I enjoyed the episode more than I thought I would.

I have no clue who those actresses are next week.  A real housewife and someone else, her face looked a little familiar. 

• Love 1

I don't know what to make of this episode, particularly the creepy relationship between Joe and Jessica. For one thing, the New York Post reports that they have a 3 1/2 year old daughter together! Oh, and he hooked up with Wife No. 2 when she was 18 years old as well, the way he did with Jessica (Wife. No. 2 was the babysitter for him and Wife No. 2) Joe is 63, BTW, and Jessica is 26 now. 

And I am going to defend Barry Williams' "all about me" behavior a little. Maybe Jessica doesn't know what an assistant actually does, but it was not unreasonable to expect somebody who is replacing an assistant to actually do assisting-type work. I didn't think it was out of line for somebody who was supposed to help him with the show to 1) show up on time, 2) give him the correct equipment, 3) not have a diva act of her own. 

But at least Barry, while certainly not perfect, seems like a good father and an okay human being. Piscopo came off as a total creep and a weird father (is it really too much to actually have a meal in the same room as your children?) 

• Love 7
(edited)

Most of the over privileged fathers on this show don't eat in the same room with their children. That's the least of Piscopo's problems.  If the hidden purpose of CWS  is to call people like this out, that's brilliant.

Barry can put his own damned guitar stand in the car.  Cheeses.  I loved Jessica for putting plants in the house.

Edited by QuelleC

I enjoy this show for the most part, but if all they can come up with are personal assistants, they have run out of candidates for this show.  At first I was also horrified with BW and everything having to be perfect.  But I think he was really playing the game...using Jessica as his PA.  But wow, talk about awkward at the end.  JP has some issues.  Can't believe that he and Jessica have a daughter together and that was not even mentioned.  Where are all the mothers?

Jessica struck me as snide.  When she entered Barry's condo she seemed condescending toward how it was decorated and smelled (fake plants + scented wall plugs = Old Lady)  Poor Barry Williams (who was 'cool Greg Brady') to be called Old Lady-- hahaha!  Still, I thought it all looked nice and nothing to be snarky in front of the cameras about.  I mean WE couldn't smell it, so why mention the Old Lady scents when he was probably hoping to make it nice for her.    So anyway, I think she came across as crass-- especially giving the finger to him during rehearsal whether he could see it or not, WE could.  Tacky.  I can see how she was attracted to Joe Piscopo $$$$$$$.  Her real feelings for him were probably what she shouted out the car window :"There's nobody I despise and hate more than your pathetic old ass!"   He was weirdddd.....  The way he was calmly talking to the camera about how now she knows shes done it (gone too far?) and the mouthing of the 'You love me' after he basically told her he was through with her in front of the world...  He's got some money by looking at the size of that house and I'd guess she's staying for that lifestyle. 

How is Barry's young son not in a Disney show?!  He reminds me so much of BW at that age (from what I can remember) and seems like he'd be a natural.

• Love 3

I don't know what to make of this episode, particularly the creepy relationship between Joe and Jessica. For one thing, the New York Post reports that they have a 3 1/2 year old daughter together! Oh, and he hooked up with Wife No. 2 when she was 18 years old as well, the way he did with Jessica (Wife. No. 2 was the babysitter for him and Wife No. 2) Joe is 63, BTW, and Jessica is 26 now. 

And I am going to defend Barry Williams' "all about me" behavior a little. Maybe Jessica doesn't know what an assistant actually does, but it was not unreasonable to expect somebody who is replacing an assistant to actually do assisting-type work. I didn't think it was out of line for somebody who was supposed to help him with the show to 1) show up on time, 2) give him the correct equipment, 3) not have a diva act of her own. 

But at least Barry, while certainly not perfect, seems like a good father and an okay human being. Piscopo came off as a total creep and a weird father (is it really too much to actually have a meal in the same room as your children?) 

Jessica struck me as snide.  When she entered Barry's condo she seemed condescending toward how it was decorated and smelled (fake plants + scented wall plugs = Old Lady)  Poor Barry Williams (who was 'cool Greg Brady') to be called Old Lady-- hahaha!  Still, I thought it all looked nice and nothing to be snarky in front of the cameras about.  I mean WE couldn't smell it, so why mention the Old Lady scents when he was probably hoping to make it nice for her.    So anyway, I think she came across as crass-- especially giving the finger to him during rehearsal whether he could see it or not, WE could.  Tacky.  I can see how she was attracted to Joe Piscopo $$$$$$$.  Her real feelings for him were probably what she shouted out the car window :"There's nobody I despise and hate more than your pathetic old ass!"   He was weirdddd.....  The way he was calmly talking to the camera about how now she knows shes done it (gone too far?) and the mouthing of the 'You love me' after he basically told her he was through with her in front of the world...  He's got some money by looking at the size of that house and I'd guess she's staying for that lifestyle. 

How is Barry's young son not in a Disney show?!  He reminds me so much of BW at that age (from what I can remember) and seems like he'd be a natural.

I agree with both of the above posts.

While Barry Williams has always come off like a bit of a parody on any show he has done in recent years, and while the "Brady Bunch" novelty/craze has worn out its welcome, and while I don't doubt that he is douche in some ways, Jessica had a chip on her shoulder from the moment she got to his house.  She seemed intent on reminding everyone that she was a Jersey girl, but she came off as immature and snarky.

I don't think that Barry's expectations of an assistant were too unrealistic, if that's what Jessica's role was supposed to be.  He was actually trying to use her as an assistant.  If the idea was to just 'swap female friends,' then his attitude towards her might have been out of line.  I think she is used to not having to do much actual "work" for Joe, as far as his career goes, so she was not prepared to have to work for Barry.

• Love 2

Jessica came off as a big old entitled bitch. But opinion changes a bit now I know they have a daughter together. That's just...odd to not name the child. I thought she was just a gold digging bitch who Joe didn't want to use the word "relationship" with and she hung on to whatever he said. But, while she doesn't need to be condescending and uppity about stuff, I can see why she'd get jealous at him dating.  I guess they can't just break things off and never see each other again with a child. He was very creepy at the table meeting. When Barry & his friend Heygood (can't remember her name) were talking about their experiences, he acted like he did not want to be there to listen to anyone but himself. He was not engaging. Then just breaks it off and keeps calm with his "you love me" and "this will make good TV". She's batshit crazy and immature, but now knowing she's his baby mama makes a difference.

I still like Barry. He's got kind eyes but kind of moves like an old man. His son is adorable. And I died laughing when after the big breakup scene, it came back to the table and they agreed "this is why we don't sleep together!"

Next week...Jenna Von Oy (that's her name, right?) is still adorable and I don't watch any Housewives shows, so kind of feel bad the other lady is a bitch. Let Jenna enjoy motherhood.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just came to see if the recap was up yet.  But I'm going to have to defend Jessica just a little. It's not fair to compare her to the impeccable Haygood.  (Can she be my grandma please?)  Clearly she took JP aside about dating teenagers (I guess he gets bored with them by the time they're 26) but I think the producers put her up to the online dating stunt.   

Learning they have a child tells me there's even more reason to be overly dependent on the 15% or so attention JP gives her and it looks like some of it involves emotional cruelty.  I see a young woman who's  turned over her life to this jerk and is still emotionally 18.  She may not even have finished high school.  So, I see immaturity and not entitlement or brattiness.  She was right about the house, apparently BW has an issue with smells?  It's weird not to mention their child but I'm glad they didn't involve her in this hot mess.  I'm confused about the role of the housekeeper though, who seems to do all of the mothering in the P house.  Jessica said she has nothing to do with those two kids (at their mother's insistence?) so it must be a weird situation for the 3 kids to live together but be treated separately.  So, let's say Jessica goes into the kitchen and mothers her own child but ignores the other two? They alluded a couple of times to stress in the household.

There was a huge north vs south theme going on.  I would be equally horrified to find myself in Branson with the over the top patriotism bullshit so I feel her pain. You have to understand that coming from the north her politics are probably very different.  Not that BW would know, he never asked.

BW's teary eyed confession about never having a childhood (where have I heard that before?) was touching but struck me as a pretty fine acting audition.

Edited by QuelleC
(edited)

I don't understand why Barry Williams lives in a apt ? Where is is Greg Brady money?

Jenna Von Oy played "Six LeMeure" on 'Blossom

Edited by Taylorh2

I don't understand why Barry Williams lives in a apt ? Where is is Greg Brady money?

Jenna Von Oy played "Six LeMeure" on 'Blossom

I don't remember Barry on anything but the Brady Bunch-- at least nothing big-- so I don't think he made all that much money.  It was in the early 70's and I doubt he even got syndication money.  It was NOTHING like the Seinfeld or Friends actors were able to negotiate.  He's lived off the Greg Brady image all this time and looks like he's still trying to make money off that in Branson. 

He seems like a nice enough guy.  If he was a gold digger I'd think he'd have been heavily pushing his son into something either Disney or other tv sitcoms and being his 'manager' like the Lohans or Spears.  (actually I though the boy seemed the type to do well as a child actor, he seemed pretty grounded and mature for his age.  He may have no interest and isn't being pushed, which is great.)

• Love 2

I thought Jessica was a bit of a bitch, with her attitude.  (nothing wrong with plug-in scents, Yankee candle makes some good ones!)    But BW came across as arrogant and entitled.  So your assistant, the first day on the job, doesn't know which guitar stand is the one you need.  Is that going to ruin your show?  BW is STILL Greg Brady -  not to the audience, but in his own head.  I don't think he's figured out how to be himself yet.  He seemed to be playing a role the entire episode.  

But apparently his issues pale in comparison to Joe Piscopo's issues.  What a couple of sad has-beens these guys are. 

• Love 2

I think it’s extremely misleading of the show not to mention they have a 3 ½ year old daughter together. If nothing else, it changes the dynamics of their relationship.  The show made it look like once they severed their businesses partnership they could just part ways. Clearly that is not the case.  Since that critical piece of information was missing, I’m also wondering where JP’s third child with his second wife is? Only two were shown but he has 3 with her.  Also, was the woman that cooks and cleans only there for his kids with wife #2? Does Jessica at least take care of her own kid?

Jessica came off as lazy and pathetic to begin with. Throw in getting pregnant to this jerk four years ago after knowing the guy had four other kids to two other women and now he just keeps her around as a pseudo wife for public appearances and she’s even more pathetic. No wonder she was thrown off when she had to do real “assistant” work for BW, around JP’s house her “work” is completely different.

JP clearly has a hot mess of a life and needs some professional help. As for Barry Williams, I didn’t see that the guy had any real issues. He clearly cared about his son and even though Jessica made a big deal about the son’s interactions with other kids, he certainly wasn’t sheltered or suffering because of it. He came off as a mature, respectful, well adjusted kid.  And Marie Haygood  has 8 kids and they obviously socialized with her family. (Not to mention his time/life with his mother wasn’t mentioned).  Oh and he has a half sibling…. Where is the daughter BW had with his girlfriend a few years ago?

Poor Barry Williams (who was 'cool Greg Brady') to be called Old Lady-- hahaha!

Jessica wasn’t even born yet when the Brady Bunch went off the air. And she wouldn’t be on this show if she wasn’t dating a guy almost four decades older than her. Maybe Jessica should find more people her age to hang with!  Barry’s son will be just fine. Jessica is another story.

• Love 4

The show made it look like once they severed their businesses partnership they could just part ways. Clearly that is not the case.  Since that critical piece of information was missing, I’m also wondering where JP’s third child with his second wife is? Only two were shown but he has 3 with her.  Also, was the woman that cooks and cleans only there for his kids with wife #2? Does Jessica at least take care of her own kid?

I'm glad to find this out, because I just thought BW's asst was focusing WAY too much on Joe's personal relationship with his assistant. I guess I found it hard to believe they had a relationship--I thought Jessica had some good ideas re: Barry's son having "kid time"--I thought it was "posing" on JPs part so viewers would think he was some hot guy at home.

Glad to find out the surprising info that they have a 3 year old together. Not sure why the show couldn't bring this out honestly (including where the child was all this time--and where he/she is normally, who takes care, etc.)  Maybe Barry's asst (name?) figured out what an unhealthy relationship it was for all concerned and thought JP should just pay child support, start online dating and let Jessica find someone better. (Like...almost anyone.)

And Barry beginning each meal with...the Pledge of Allegiance? That still cracks me up now, just thinking about it.

• Love 2