Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: How To Succeed In Law Without Really Re-trying

WendyCR72

To air on November 25, 2019:

When one of Lola's former murder cases is overturned on appeal, Mark helms the retrial and struggles to keep the bomber in jail, while Lola fears she may have prosecuted an innocent man.

I think they are setting up something with Luke and Mark's legal assistant. That was a lingering look between them when he bumped into her.

I loved seeing Lola as a prosecutor (and I loved her purple lipstick). She really was dynamic.

Vegan jerky sounds gross but I think meat jerky is gross too, so I would just stay away from all jerkies.

• Love 5

I had a really hard time following the plot last night, it seemed disjointed to me.  I could follow the flash backs and flash forwards just fine, there was just too much going on at the same time to follow correctly.  Too many courtrooms to track.

I'm not digging that Luke is making eyes at another woman.  Though I do like the new character.

I also liked that the perky and enthusiastic court recorder is so excited that Lopez is moving in with her, but lemme offer my prediction for the future plot line here.  Lopez moves in with quirky, enthusiastic, court recorder and finds that her lifestyle--perhaps exotic birds flying free around the apartment, or an all-nudist lifestyle, or something else odd and quirky--is just not going to work for her.  Meanwhile, Lopez and Luke mutually decide that there's just too much going on in each others lives at the moment to try and get together, so they break it off before picking it up.  Lopez, now not having any place to live, ends up moving in with her new platonic best friend Luke where it is obvious they are compatible in every way, but Luke has taken up dating Mark's new assistant, which becomes all sorts of awkward.  There's a few episodes with scenes of angsty highjinks, then the new legal assistant breaks up with Luke because his affections are clearly with Lopez.  Lopez and Luke get together, and the court recorder and Lola high-five because their Master Plan worked out, and the court recorder gets rid of the borrowed exotic birds with great relief.

Sarah.  I think her name is Sarah...

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I had a really hard time following the plot last night, it seemed disjointed to me.  I could follow the flash backs and flash forwards just fine, there was just too much going on at the same time to follow correctly.  Too many courtrooms to track.

I did a couple of re-winds and then just lost interest. 

Mostly what held my interest was considering how much Carradine reminded me of Thurman. 

I really do like this show, but I have to say, I LOATHE, absolutely, positively LOATHE the court stenographer. I don't know why, but everything about her grates on my nerves. I just can not stand her. From literally her first appearance in the Pilot episode I have not liked her and nothing, not one scene, has changed my opinion. Gah, I can't stand her.

Had to get that off my chest.

I hope something happens with Luke and Mark's assistant because I feel ZERO chemistry with Luke and Lopez. On the other hand, I was really surprised by how many sparks I was feeling between Lopez and Mark in that episode where they worked together.

This was an interesting case, and I liked seeing how Lola was questioning herself even to the point where she brought that to Mark and he was not having it since it was *his* case now. And, as always, I love their scenes. Their friendship is so good.

Edited by driver18
  • Love 4

I thought Felice Bell was an interesting character. It's nice to see a character who really is inscrutable. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to sympathize with her or hate her. That's impressive writing (well, it's impressive writing provided that the character is otherwise interesting, and I think she was. Ever Carradine played her well. Those noises? So disturbing). 

I'm confused, though, at how the Maggie character thinks it is okay to just go right at a judge like that. I know Lola is new, but dang, lady, how in the world would that be good for your job as an attorney who constantly appears before judges?!

• Love 2

I liked the flashbacks with Mark and Lola. I liked seeing Lola pre-judge and how great she was at her job. I also kind of enjoyed watching Felice throughout the episode? She was infuriating but also an interestingly self-absorbed character. I can see why Lola kept beating her. 

Mark and Lola's friendship really continues to impress. I really, really enjoyed their fighting scene, where Lola was doubting her own skills and Mark was basically telling her to leave so her doubts wouldn't overlap into his case. 

I get why Lola's bias with Felice may have clouded her own judgment in her case, but Maggie was quite insufferable anyway. Even though Lola may not have acted appropriately during her case, Maggie was way worse with how she was directly speaking to her several times. 

So....we're really going to go somewhere with Luke and Mark's assistant, whose name I can't remember? I like his new assistant, even if I feel like she may be a little TOO eager to please, but I was really getting into the idea of Luke and Emily. I'm not exactly sure why they're setting up Luke with another woman when Emily just told him at the end of this episode that she was going to be signing her divorce papers, implying that she's ready to move forward with him. So maybe Mark's assistant is going to Single White Female him instead?

*Also, just looked it up. Mark's assistant's name is Samantha.

• Love 4

Yeah, whether you are into Lopez and Luke (I like them, but obviously, romantic pairings is very often an eye of the beholder deal), it seems waaaaaaaay too early to be throwing a love triangle into the mix. 

Mark, meanwhile, what is even HAPPENING with his love life? His girlfriend was initially just off screen, which suggested that she was not going to be a longterm thing, but then they went out and CAST an actress to play her...and then only used her, what, once since (or was she at the event where Luke was honored?)? And then they introduce Amy Quinn as a possible love interest...and then nothing from HER, either. Now Mark is back to talking to his girlfriend only on the phone. It's very confusing. 

• Love 4
On 11/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, jabRI said:

I just watch for her outfits, they are fantastic. Not really, it's a good show, but I do notice her outfits.

YES! The looks on this show are incredible. Lopez's sienna blazer was impeccable. We didn't see it this episode, but I love that the stylists are not afraid of a flowy skirt. Business professional does not have to mean pencils and pant suits, especially in LA!

• Love 3

The clothes really are excellent on this show, everyone looks professional and also fabulous! I especially loved Lola's look in the flashbacks! 

Interesting case, and I liked seeing Lola in flashbacks back in lawyer mode, she really was convincing and dynamic as hell. I also liked seeing Mark and Lola have some conflict, but working it out quickly. I did wonder if it would turn out it wasnt that guy, as Lola was doubting herself, but it really did seem like Lola had a solid case. I hope that the reformed racist guy was able to avoid having his new life messed up by all of this getting dragged up again.

God Maggie, what did Lola ever do to you? Lola might have been letting some personal stuff effect her, but Maggie was being even less professional. Felice was an interesting character, it seems like she brought the case up again just so that she could one up Lola now that she is a judge, which is pretty shitty when your dealing with any criminal, but especially a domestic terrorist. I wasnt sure quite how we were supposed to see her, I would be open to seeing her again. I can sure see why Lola became a judge before she did. 

I like Marks new sidekick, but does there seriously need to be love triangle already with her, Emily, and Luke? Emily and Luke arent even officially together yet!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope that the reformed racist guy was able to avoid having his new life messed up by all of this getting dragged up again.

I think he was. The video was never actually introduced as evidence in court, he wasn't made to testify, and he got immunity. If anything, he's truly put his past behind him now.

• Love 2
On 11/26/2019 at 11:40 AM, HurricaneVal said:

I also liked that the perky and enthusiastic court recorder is so excited that Lopez is moving in with her, but lemme offer my prediction for the future plot line here.  Lopez moves in with quirky, enthusiastic, court recorder and finds that her lifestyle--perhaps exotic birds flying free around the apartment, or an all-nudist lifestyle, or something else odd and quirky--is just not going to work for her.  Meanwhile, Lopez and Luke mutually decide that there's just too much going on in each others lives at the moment to try and get together, so they break it off before picking it up.  Lopez, now not having any place to live, ends up moving in with her new platonic best friend Luke where it is obvious they are compatible in every way, but Luke has taken up dating Mark's new assistant, which becomes all sorts of awkward.  There's a few episodes with scenes of angsty highjinks, then the new legal assistant breaks up with Luke because his affections are clearly with Lopez.  Lopez and Luke get together, and the court recorder and Lola high-five because their Master Plan worked out, and the court recorder gets rid of the borrowed exotic birds with great relief.

Sarah.  I think her name is Sarah...

I think as soon as Emily & Luke get together, good ol punchy husband/soon to be ex Joe is going to turn up. 

Lola was so out of order in the courtroom and I’m glad she apologised. 

On 11/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, driver18 said:

On the other hand, I was really surprised by how many sparks I was feeling between Lopez and Mark in that episode where they worked together.

I thought this too. It doesn’t bOther me Who hooks up with who because I think Lopez has chemistry with both. Not sure I understand what the point was of introducing a potential love triangle though.