Type keyword(s) to search

Seinfeld in the Media

I got all but one correct; I didn't know how many multiple-part episodes they had done.

(Although I got it, I take issue with the wording of the correct answer in the dirty talk clue.)

• Love 1

Jerry Seinfeld did two Reddit AMAs this year, one in January and one two days ago. There's a lot of Seinfeld stuff in them that most fans will know, but still nice and funny to read.

Best exchange in my opinion:

Q: Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?

A: These conversations are presently taking place.

Fingers crossed this happens.

I had forgotten Jerry was on Benson! 

(edited)

Jason Alexander because actress was "fucking impossible" to work with

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jason-alexander-seinfeld-killed-off-susan-because-actress-090050974.html

The headline on the Yahoo! page made it seem like the actress who played Susan was difficult and that's why they killed off her character, but really she just didn't have the right chemistry with Jason Alexander or the other cast members..

If you had trouble understanding why George (Jason Alexander) and Susan (Heidi Swedberg) stayed together on Seinfeld, you weren't the only one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Alexander was a guest on Wednesday's Howard Stern Show and admitted that the show's writers decided to kill off Susan with poisonous envelopes because he and the rest of the cast did not enjoy sharing scenes with the actress who portrayed her.

"I couldn't figure out how to play off of her," Alexander said of Swedberg, who followed her 1997 departure from the celebrated NBC sitcom with roles on Roswell, Gilmore Girls and Bones. "Her instincts for doing a scene, where the comedy was, and mine were always misfiring. And she would do something, and I would go, 'OK, I see what she's going to do — I'm going to adjust to her.' And I'd adjust, and then it would change."

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

"Jason Alexander because actress was "fucking impossible" to work with
https://www.yahoo.co...-090050974.html
The headline on the Yahoo! page made it seem like the actress who played Susan was difficult and that's why they killed off her character, but really she just didn't have the right chemistry with Jason Alexander or the other cast members.."

I think Jason Alexander is a first class schmuck for bringing this up in an interview.  Heidi Swedberg played her part (upper East Side blueblood) very well & I enjoyed the episodes she was in (always love that scene when she opens the battered metal box that held love letters written to her father by her father's famous lover).  JA could've just said something like "we needed George to not be married so he could get into more crazy situations" for the reason Susan was killed off. 

Edited by annzeepark914
(edited)

It was Stern who brought it up and who also said it was rumored that she was fired because Jason couldn't stand her and Jason was just clearing it up by saying she was a lovely person but they didn't play off each other as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aBRKjGIQg

Jason immediately issued up a very sincere apology:

I and the cast really liked and like Heidi. She is a kind, lovely person who undoubtedly worked really hard to create Susan and that character was clearly what Larry and Jerry wanted her to be for George. I just felt I was on uncertain ground in how to play off that character and I was always concerned that it wasn’t working.[...] Heidi would always ask if there was anything in the scenes she could do or if I had any thoughts. She was generous and gracious and I am so mad at myself for retelling this story in any way that would diminish her. If I had had more maturity or more security in my own work, I surely would have taken her query and possibly tried to adjust the scenes with her. She surely offered. But, I didn’t have that maturity or security.[...] And now with distance, I can look at those episodes and see that there was a fun relationship there between George and Susan. It works perfectly. I simply couldn’t see it or find it at the time.

Edited by VCRTracking

Hadn't someone other than JA already said essentially the same thing, about Heidi having a different style that was hard for some of them to mesh with, in a DVD special feature (I think interview, since my vague memory has it as a visual, but maybe commentary)?

I'm a huge Seinfeld fan but had no clue the other actors didn't enjoy working with Heidi Swedberg. IMO Alexander pulled a real George when he announced it to the world. I could see it if she'd been unprofessional.

• Love 1

Hadn't someone other than JA already said essentially the same thing, about Heidi having a different style that was hard for some of them to mesh with, in a DVD special feature (I think interview, since my vague memory has it as a visual, but maybe commentary)?

Yes, I believe it was JLD who said something about HS being difficult to play scenes with (because of her acting, not because she was a difficult person).

All 168 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked From Worst to Best

As disappointing as it was the Finale episode is not ranked #168.

What's The Deal With Transcribing Seinfeld

Very interesting read with regards to translation problems for European countries and why Seinfeld is being shown on Hulu and not Netflix. Another interesting note is that I wasn't aware that NBC offered Jerry $5 million an episode to return for another season. 

Very interesting read with regards to translation problems for European countries and why Seinfeld is being shown on Hulu and not Netflix. Another interesting note is that I wasn't aware that NBC offered Jerry $5 million an episode to return for another season. 

The Parking Space was ranked 151???  I LOVE that one sooo much! Also 163-167 are among my favorites.  I do agree with Soup Nazi being ranked low; the only part of it that made me laugh was how Newman did everything to conform to the ordering rules..

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm on a road trip, so thanks for the good reading! I'm working on my TESL (teaching English as a second language) certificate, so the article about the translation issues was really interesting to me. As for the ranking, I definitely disagreed with some of the choices, but I appreciated the justifications given. I think it's a testament to the brilliance of the show that even when reading the summary of a less-than-stellar episode, I could immediately think of one or two great lines or moments from that ep. Edited by Portia
  • Love 2

The eye rolling started with ranking "The Puerto Rican Day Parade" dead last (please), closely followed by "The Outing," "The Jacket," "The Mango," and "The Ex Girlfriend." The reviewer wasn't ranking the episodes, but the historical political correctness of each.

I could NOT agree more.  Yes, many of the episodes are irreverent and tasteless, but IMO that is what they were supposed to be.  If you don't want to be offended, this is not the show to watch.

• Love 5

I love the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode and the two toughs taking on poor Kramer.  Now, the parking spot bugs me except I love the character actor who plays Mike. Geez...I've still go a ways to go with this list.  Will continue tomorrow.

• Love 1

Now, the parking spot bugs me except I love the character actor who plays Mike.

The Parking Spot I admit is ridiculous. I mean there is no way something like that would ever happen, but I love it because of how ludicrous the whole thing is.  Plus, I will NEVER not laugh at "Man that Michael Jordan, he is phony!"

• Love 1

I LOVE the way JLD delivered the line "I think it was a gun."  And I loved when Kramer congratulated the wife of the fat-free frozen yogurt shop owner on being pregnant.

• Love 1

Glad to see Fusilli Jerry (and the A$$man, yay) at #14.  But the Soup Nazi only at #143?  Who is this person/reviewer?  Obviously someone w/ no sense of humor. That episode is a classic, plus, it also introduced the two thugs, Cedric & Bob (whom they should've used a lot more).  So he thought George buying what he believed was Jon Voight's old car episode should be at #15? Seriously?

• Love 3

This is a pretty good write up on the show's significance:

Why "Seinfeld" Is The Most Villainous Sitcom In Human History

Seinfeld debuted in July of 1989. Considering the limitations of what network television was (or could be) in ‘89, it has proven to be the most imperative live-action sitcom of the modern era. Nothing else comes close. Like the music of Zeppelin or the teen archetypes of Salinger, its subsistence in the culture scarcely dissipates. Its four principal characters are so engrained in the American consciousness that there’s no need for me to name them or describe who they are. Seinfeld will live in syndication forever, partially because the show exists within its own evergreen reality: a version of New York that’s obviously based in Los Angeles, populated by a collection of impossible personalities who are caricatures of actual people. Like traditional sitcoms, Seinfeld emphasized character over plot; unlike traditional sitcoms, the audience was never supposed to empathize with any of the characters they loved. When describing the program’s brilliance, it became common (in fact, cliché) to say Seinfeld was a farcical “show about nothing.” But that description was lazy. It was not a farce. It was social satire. And to nonchalantly claim it was “a show about nothing” erroneously suggests that its vision was empty. Seinfeld was never a show about nothing, even when nothing happened. Seinfeld simply argued that nothing is all that any rational person can expect out of life. It was hilarious, but profoundly bleak. By consciously stating it had no higher message—the creators referred to this as the “no hugging, no learning” rule—it was able to goof around with concepts that battered the deepest tenets of institutionalized society. It was satire so severe that we pretend it wasn’t satire at all.

• Love 5