Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Grandma's Boys

After seeing Marvin blissfully enter retirement, Grandma Huang decides it's her turn to retire from ... something. Yet when Louis fails to celebrate her the way she wants, it will take a visit from Hurricane Gene, and maybe a hot tub, to make things right.

Original air date: 10/11/19

I didn't quite understand the whole "Reggie" thing.  Why was that a secret that would ruin their lives?  Was it because they drove to Georgia without their parents knowing it and they would get in trouble?  Or would it make them look uncool because wanting to meet Reginald VelJohnson was a nerdy thing to do?

14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I didn't quite understand the whole "Reggie" thing.  Why was that a secret that would ruin their lives?  Was it because they drove to Georgia without their parents knowing it and they would get in trouble?  Or would it make them look uncool because wanting to meet Reginald VelJohnson was a nerdy thing to do?

I figured the embarrassing or bad thing wasn't revealed to the audience. It was enough for Marvin to hear the name and know what the secret is.

51 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I figured the embarrassing or bad thing wasn't revealed to the audience. It was enough for Marvin to hear the name and know what the secret is.

I had considered that, and you might be right.  As I said, I don't quite get it.  But if you're correct, that's two things in this episode that were left a mystery, the other being what Grandma thinks she is retiring from.  Seems a bit lazy.

• Love 1

Not a super memorable episode, but it had some funny bits and didnt have yet another freaking "Jessica is a super controlling jerk" plot. Marvin always makes me laugh. "I am just a chatterbox! When I see people, I start to chat...like a chatterbox..."

• Love 1

They said Evan "cut piano class" and the three of them drove across state lines to Georgia. It's debatable how major an offense that is, but joyriding out of state is not something most parents would be okay with. I'd think Eddie would be in a lot of trouble for that, more than the other boys.

It wasn't a memorable episode, but the fluffiness of it was a ton more enjoyable than the show has been in awhile for me.

• Love 3
On 10/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, rmontro said:

I had considered that, and you might be right.  As I said, I don't quite get it.  But if you're correct, that's two things in this episode that were left a mystery, the other being what Grandma thinks she is retiring from.  Seems a bit lazy.

Grandma Jenny knows she didn't retire from anything.  She just wanted the retirement gift, which for some reason was a hot tub, not a normal watch or plaque or something lol. 

15 hours ago, snarktini said:

They said Evan "cut piano class" and the three of them drove across state lines to Georgia. It's debatable how major an offense that is, but joyriding out of state is not something most parents would be okay with. I'd think Eddie would be in a lot of trouble for that, more than the other boys.

It wasn't a memorable episode, but the fluffiness of it was a ton more enjoyable than the show has been in awhile for me.

Yeah. I think it's driving across state lines and skipping piano lessons that's the secret. 

• Love 2

I think I'm really only enjoying the boys at this point.  The grandma story made absolutely no sense to me, and I did not find the "hijinks" with the hot tub funny either with the exception of the synchronized swimming routine.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

All I can think about the hot tub was how it's going to ruin the flooring. Why didn't they put it in the backyard?

I can understand them wanting to protect their skin from the sun.

Edited by Harvey
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I think it's driving across state lines and skipping piano lessons that's the secret. 

I definitely would have been in trouble if my parents found out I'd driven my young siblings a couple hundred miles for any reason at that age, so I totally understand why the boys were desperate to make sure Marvin didn't blab their secret.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

How about the garage then

That’s where it was originally, Louise moved it to be more unpredictable though even if it was empty I don’t know how he moved one that size is heavy as hell!

• Love 1

I forgot to mention this earlier:

When Louis was in the hot tub, they played that sound clip of the guy singing "Yeah" in a deep voice.  Which means they have used it all three episodes so far.  It would be funny if they put that in every episode of the season.

• LOL 2
On 10/12/2019 at 11:35 AM, tennisgurl said:

didnt have yet another freaking "Jessica is a super controlling jerk" plot. 

That's always a plus and it's more rare than a blue moon.  

It's too bad Louis' issues had to be so boring.  Ditto for that secret I couldn't care less about.

At least the end-credits provided an entertaining 30 seconds.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, Snow Apple said:

How about the garage then. Or build a gazebo over it. 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, biakbiak said:

That’s where it was originally, Louise moved it to be more unpredictable though even if it was empty I don’t know how he moved one that size is heavy as hell!

It is in the garage.  They turned the garage into a living space for Jenny.  The hot tub is close to her bed. (That's why they had to be quiet during the synchronized sleeping end-credits.) The floor is probably concrete and can't be ruined by water.

Louis had improbably temporarily moved the hot tub into the living room when he was still mad at Gene, and then moved it back.  That's a lot of wasted water!

Finally, physician-patient confidentially doesn't end when the physician retires.  That's the kind of misunderstanding that Eddie would have expressed, and Evan would have quickly corrected.  Marvin and his assistant just have terrible ethics.  Also, Evan, Marvin didn't operate on your teeth He operated on your gums/mouth. Maybe he extracted your teeth? Evan would know that, too.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

is in the garage.  They turned the garage into a living space for Jenny.  The hot tub is close to her bed. (That's why they had to be quiet during the synchronized sleeping end-credits.) The floor is probably concrete and can't be ruined by water.

I do wonder where the garage is and what was in it from the start of the show before they moved Jenny in there because they have always parked their cars on the street because they don’t have a driveway even though Marv and Honey have one.

• Love 1