Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Glascott Mascot

hula-la

Going back to last week's episode, after basketball practice the coach told the players to "clean up". So is it no longer acceptable to say "Hit the showers"? I've been in a lot of locker rooms in my younger (much younger days) and that's pretty much what the coach always said. 

Maybe it's because I missed a few episodes (has Barry made a cameo yet?) or because the timeline is ambiguous, but it's kind of a stretch to believe that Lainey is still stuck on Barry what, 5-10 years (?) after graduating when she hasn't even seen him. I get that they need to keep the callbacks to the original series, but it's just weird to be 23+ and dodge a moment of romantic tension with your new love interest by saying "sorry, I'm stuck on a guy a dated in high school." CB is also adorable and has an infinitely better personality than Barry, so the choice to have Lainey linger over Barry to maintain Goldbergs crossover or whatever feels regressive. You can't have a functioning love triangle if one of the characters isn't on the show!

has anyone besides Johnny commented on Lainey and CB flirting at all before, or did they just make up the rumor subplot this episode to force the romantic tension forward?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Maybe it's because I missed a few episodes (has Barry made a cameo yet?) or because the timeline is ambiguous, but it's kind of a stretch to believe that Lainey is still stuck on Barry what, 5-10 years (?) after graduating when she hasn't even seen him.

I completely agree with that.  But have they said that they haven't seen each other since high. school specifically?  Because if so, that is kind of sad.  But maybe the moment just made her nostalgic, as opposed to being stuck on him.

• Love 4

Did we know Mellor wanted to be principal? He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would want to be in an administrative role like that. I  imagine he would be miserable away from his beloved sports. So that's why that plot was weird to me. And you can certainly have a Director of Athletics at a school who would manage stuff like the mascot - it was odd they made him Principal of it...sorry I did not enjoy that plot. Although the wind was funny.

I did like the pirate radio episode and some growth for Johnny Atkins. Also seeing the real one was pretty cool. I wonder how he truly feels about the way he is portrayed (which is often not well).

On the Goldbergs, Barry had a similar plot about not being over Lainey (even though it is several years earlier). Maybe she will see he and Kim together at some point on this show and finally be able to move on with CB (Barry's real life wife is named Kim).

Edited by xander874
  • Love 2

I think they're holding off on doing anything serious romance wise with Lainey until they know if this show is getting a second season or not. They're holding open the chance to do a Barry and Lainey got married in 1990 something coda on the Goldbergs if Schooled doesn't make it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I completely agree with that.  But have they said that they haven't seen each other since high. school specifically?  Because if so, that is kind of sad.  But maybe the moment just made her nostalgic, as opposed to being stuck on him.

But they've had numerous other references to her holding a torch for him, like when she's talking to the cheer squad a few episodes ago, So I don't think it was just that one moment with CB. I guess working at your old school would naturally remind you of high school, but Lainey's a sexy musician even if they try to portray her as the quirky one rather than the sexy one, so there's no way she hasn't dated anyone since Barry. Did she just spend all of college pining over him as well?

21 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

I think they're holding off on doing anything serious romance wise with Lainey until they know if this show is getting a second season or not. They're holding open the chance to do a Barry and Lainey got married in 1990 something coda on the Goldbergs if Schooled doesn't make it.

This is why running a spinoff concurrently with the original show doesn't really work in my opinion because the plots are always either going to be contradicting each other or frustratingly vague to give the other show wiggle room. I'm not sure why they are so invested in Barry/Lainey as a pairing since they already have Erica/Geoff, not to mention that there presumably based off of real people who apparently didn't end up together if Barry's wife is named Kim LOL.

Regardless, I hope Schooled makes it because I love Brett Dier and he'd be the only main cast member (even including Johnny Atkins!) to be out of a job if it's cancelled. It's just an extra/increased paycheck for the others.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2019 at 5:41 AM, glo-unit said:

Wow, did anyone watch the last episode?

Maybe someone who went to high school before 2000 can help me, but where cheerleaders ever expected to all of those things. like decorating the lockers and preparing game day dinner, for the Football players? I know you can't take it to seriously but I found it a little bit creepy and subservient what was expected of the cheerleaders.

My mom was a cheerleader in the 60s and I was one from the late 80s to the mid 90s. The answer is "yes." My mom's squad definitely did the cooking and decorating for the boys' teams. And their cheers were basic and mostly used to get the crowd riled up. We did some of the decorating in the 80s and early 90s but by the time I left the squad, we'd almost stopped that altogether. We probably did one big thing a year for them, but it was also reciprocated. I noticed a definite switch in cheerleading sometime around 1994. It was then that cheerleading in our area went from basic tumbling to acrobatics worthy of ESPN. We basically went from a squad whose purpose was to support the boys to a sport's team who used the ballgames really just as something to practice on while we readiest ourselves for the competitions. 

In this realized I was struck for the first time at how much CB reminds me of Mr. Turner from BOY MEETS WORLD. With his slacks and curly hair, his tie and the way he tries to be "cool" with the kids...

RIP Jonathan Turner. We never knew what happened to you. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

RIP Jonathan Turner. We never knew what happened to you. 

He married the nurse that took care of him after his motorcycle accident, moved to NYC, became a superintendent, hired Corey Matthews and regretted not adopting Shaun. 

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

He married the nurse that took care of him after his motorcycle accident, moved to NYC, became a superintendent, hired Corey Matthews and regretted not adopting Shaun. 

Remember he loved reading comic books, and apparently hired principals who were stuck in box thinking and dumb asses. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

He also had apparently been working down that "other hallway" in the school. The same one that swallowed up Minkus. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

My husband doesn’t watch “Schooled” but was walking in the door when I was catching up on last week’s ep.

We are now watching “Pump Up the Volume.”

That subplot made me laugh because before I realized just how fluid the timeline was on “The Goldbergs” the poster of Christian Slater in Erica’s wall bugged me.

John runs staff meetings without all the teachers?  Lainey and CB were both not at either meeting.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, Aryanna said:

I've seen cheerleaders decorate lockers etc. but I haven't seen them cook for the players. I'm not saying that isn't done at some schools it's just that I haven't seen it.

It bugged me that they kept saying squash the beef instead of quash. I know it shouldn't bother me but it's just a pet peeve.

baaaaack in the day, we girls baked cookies or brownies in home ec and the football team got to eat them. 😒

• Love 1
On 4/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, Aryanna said:

I've seen cheerleaders decorate lockers etc. but I haven't seen them cook for the players. I'm not saying that isn't done at some schools it's just that I haven't seen it.

It bugged me that they kept saying squash the beef instead of quash. I know it shouldn't bother me but it's just a pet peeve.

I have only ever heard it as squash.  Takes me back to Beverly hills 90210

DUxGMWOVoAAyjEw.jpg

On 4/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, angelusgirl said:

I have only ever heard it as squash.  Takes me back to Beverly hills 90210

DUxGMWOVoAAyjEw.jpg

Squashing beef is something someone might do if they cooked at a burger place. To quash something is to put an end to it or suppress it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, Aryanna said:

Squashing beef is something someone might do if they cooked at a burger place. To quash something is to put an end to it or suppress it.

I guess the 90210 reference was lost on you.  There is a whole episode literally about "squashing" it. It was based on a real campaign to end inner city violence

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/chc/squash-it-campaign/

Yes the more elegant term is quash. but squash is used as well.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2019 at 8:32 AM, emcmac87 said:

And Shaun was pushed into marrying Maya’s mom cause Maya wanted a family and Shaun was always the “loner”. Girl Meets World did some things right but other things completely wrong.

• Love 6