Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Replacement

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Nobody meets weekly.  Nobody has that kind of time and all of the boards are working on long-term major projects where not much progress happens from week to week so there's no need to meet that often.

And did they say the military guy couldn't be Max's assistant and serve on the board? Is it a full time job? Max does it as part of his job and he was going to get one of the doctors to do it while still working in the hospital.  That seemed weird to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

And did they say the military guy couldn't be Max's assistant and serve on the board? Is it a full time job? Max does it as part of his job and he was going to get one of the doctors to do it while still working in the hospital.  That seemed weird to me.

That’s because you are being logical. Logic and New Amsterdam cannot exist in the same space! 😏

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 2:28 PM, ams1001 said:

I'm usually messing around on my computer at the same time. Probably why my attention span for real reading has tanked lately. I tell myself I'll turn everything off and go read for a bit and go to bed before 11pm but then I get sucked into bad habits and suddenly it's 11:08 and I just finished brushing my teeth...(why, yes, this was my night last night, why do you ask?).

I have soo many good books to get to...

This is me.   Streaming services have ruined me.   And while I'm "watching" a program I'm on the laptop (like now).  I rarely read anymore.  Shocked myself this summer and did read a couple, but had to go outside to do it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sas616 said:

This is me.   Streaming services have ruined me.   And while I'm "watching" a program I'm on the laptop (like now).  I rarely read anymore.  Shocked myself this summer and did read a couple, but had to go outside to do it.

I used to work in a bookstore and we could borrow hardcovers. We had a signout log and before I left my last store, I counted (wish I had made a copy of my list, though), and I had borrowed about 75 books over two years (I had three pages in the log). There were probably a handful of those that I didn't actually finish reading, but that also doesn't include library books and my own books that I read during that time. These days I'm lucky if I manage to read a library book without running out of renewals (you can renew them twice online as long as there are no holds on them, and that gives you six weeks). It annoys me greatly but it's a hard habit to break.

• Love 1

I'm just glad that there was no Dead Woife (TM American Gods) in this ep.

I don't watch the other medical show so the mass hallucination was new to me. Also as a non-American I had no idea if Mike and Ikes are close to looking like meds or not.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 11:35 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I could hardly believe they had the same story of teens having mass hysteria/illness symptoms on Chicago Med last week. What a coincidence.

They really do need more clever writers. They don't think things through and underestimate the intelligence of their viewers. 

Yes, I guessed it immediately after they said there was no gas leak. I think I'm done with this show. There's new shows that I haven't checked out and new ones I like better. 

Mike and Ikes are made in my hometown, less than a mile from where I’m sitting, actually! When they appeared on the screen, my husband and I both pointed and yelled in delight: “MIKE AND IKES!!”

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On October 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM, doodlebug said:

Heck, enlist a local scout troop in doing service projects where a teen stops by daily to check on sick seniors and run errands for a hour or so.  Far more cost effective as well as much more useful.

Considering the first-scene conversation with Max and his fleeting assistant, I was assuming the solution would be a program that matches returning servicemen/veterans with time on their hands to visit patients in this kind of need. Because yes, placing dogs with people who are barely ambulatory would create a lot more problems than it would solve - starting with how most dogs need to be walked more than twice a day.

Or, as many have said, just hand out personal panic alarms.

I called the mass hysteria, but then, I called it on Chicago Med when it was still just the first patient showing symptoms. All medical shows have to do it sometimes, just weird that two shows on the same network don't compare notes to make sure they're not overlapping too closely.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, kirkola said:

In a long and arduous effort (that ultimately failed) I consumed many an Mike & Ike trying to learn to swallow pills (instead I learned to tolerate licorice).   Kids might not necessarily notice a difference unless they regularly took pills or were fans of Mike & Ike.  They looked enough like pills to me at a younger age.  But then, I didn't like licorice or pills.

I think most inpatient psychiatric patients are used to taking pills.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, KaveDweller said:

Yet at the end of the episode when the board approved Todd, Max mentioned salary...

When Max randomly brought up Lauren's mother, did anyone get the strong impression that we will soon be meeting the character, if not via the board then something else? I mean, why else mention her?

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 10:07 AM, Lovecat said:

Mike and Ikes are made in my hometown, less than a mile from where I’m sitting, actually! When they appeared on the screen, my husband and I both pointed and yelled in delight: “MIKE AND IKES!!”

I've recently seen billboards in my area for Mike and Ikes and I couldn't help but wonder...why?

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've recently seen billboards in my area for Mike and Ikes and I couldn't help but wonder...why?

That is beyond my ken.  I know they had a weird ad campaign a few years back, based on the premise that Mike and Ike had had a falling out and were no longer friends...some boxes had Mike's name crossed out, others Ike's.  It was kind of dumb and left a lot of people scratching their heads.  I think overall the goal was to bring some new attention to an old brand (first manufactured in 1940); perhaps the billboards are in the same vein?

Ah, yes!  Wikipedia confirms:
In April 2012, the company ran an ad campaign based on the premise that Mike and Ike were "breaking up" due to "creative differences"; the packaging showed one or the other name scratched out. The campaign was intended to capture the interest of younger consumers.  In 2013 the company announced Mike and Ike would reunite. In addition to a re-designed packaging and juicier tasting candy, a trailer for a movie was released, entitled, The Return of Mike and Ike.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

That is beyond my ken.  I know they had a weird ad campaign a few years back, based on the premise that Mike and Ike had had a falling out and were no longer friends...some boxes had Mike's name crossed out, others Ike's.  It was kind of dumb and left a lot of people scratching their heads.  I think overall the goal was to bring some new attention to an old brand (first manufactured in 1940); perhaps the billboards are in the same vein?

Ah, yes!  Wikipedia confirms:
In April 2012, the company ran an ad campaign based on the premise that Mike and Ike were "breaking up" due to "creative differences"; the packaging showed one or the other name scratched out. The campaign was intended to capture the interest of younger consumers.  In 2013 the company announced Mike and Ike would reunite. In addition to a re-designed packaging and juicier tasting candy, a trailer for a movie was released, entitled, The Return of Mike and Ike.

lol, well I guess that explains it. (Was that before or after the great Left-Twix/Right-Twix split? 😉 )

It just seemed so odd to see billboards for some random candy that I vaguely remember from childhood (not one I ever really ate, though I'm sure I had them on occasion) in suburban Jersey.