Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Replacement

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Max takes a chance on a new assistant and goes toe-to-toe with the board on a new plan. Iggy struggles to figure out what is causing a unit-wide illness. Kapoor receives some shocking news.

Original airdate 10/8/2019

Max continues to be the worst hospital administrator ever.  First, he hires someone who says he cannot use a computer to be his personal assistant?  Why?  Also, a guy who served in the military overseas in Afghanistan in a managerial role KNOWS how to use a computer.  Why is the writing so bad?  I am glad the vet pointed out to Max that he is, in fact, wealthy compared to the typical New Amsterdam patient and that the board chair was smart enough to set him straight as to just what board members actually do and how much the hospital relies on big donors which is why he needs to stop being an a** to them.

Next, Max hears about a patient who lives alone and, 3 weeks postop, falls and cannot get up, ending up with a situation where she needs more surgery (and fixing a dehiscence of a leg wound is a lot simpler than the original cardiac surgery and Max should know that).  So, Max' solution is a visiting nurse program?  How is that going to make any difference in this particular situation.  Even the most comprehensive, deluxe visiting nurse is not going to be there daily 3 weeks post op.  And, if the lady fell right after the nurse left, wouldn't the woman still have been alone on the floor for 14 hours?  A visiting nurse would spend maybe an hour, tops, a couple of times a week.  That would not have helped this specific situation.  Maybe if the lady developed an infection in her surgical incision, having a nurse see her a couple times a week would pick it up earlier, but that isn't what the show was telling us.  Wouldn't the money be better spent on providing those panic button thingies that you wear around your neck to at-risk patients who are alone at home a lot?  Or a cell phone to keep in a pocket?  Or have some sort of adult daycare for postop patients where they would go for 8-10 hours a day and someone would notice if she didn't show up?  Max is really dumb.

The cobalt poisoning from an artificial joint is a real thing, but very rare and usually doesn't present so dramatically.  Nowadays, the joints most likely to cause the problem are rarely used.

Do I get a prize for guessing that the kids were having a psychogenic reaction from the moment the first kid complained about the smell which suddenly set the rest of them into a frenzy.  I also wondered why the neurologist, upon hearing she smelled something bad before getting sick didn't think of a neurological cause.  Many people with seizures have an aura prior to them which can include foul odors or flashing lights, etc.   I also guessed that they'd give them all candy placebos to cure it.

Finally, what exactly is the actual training and qualifications of Bloom's f***buddy?  They say he is a physical therapist in one scene and, in the next, he is a doctor.  There are doctors who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation who usually work with more severe issues such as paraplegia or strokes; but they are not physical therapists who are usually college graduates with a certification in physical therapy.  It is possible to get a doctorate in physical therapy, but that would be a PhD and not an MD.  If he was a PhD, I would think that would've been specified on the door of his office.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

A dog? Really? Get an elderly post-op patient a dog so a dog-walker will have to come by and therefore will notice if she's okay or not. Great idea. There's more to taking care of a dog than just walking it. What if she can't handle that part? What if she doesn't want a dog?

This show comes up with a lot of dumb stuff, but this has got to be one of the dumbest.

• Love 7

Why do hospital show characters wear lab coats in hallways, cafeterias, etc.? I worked in a hospital where we were not allowed to wear lab coats (or gloves, masks, etc.) outside clinical and research areas, because they might carry infectious or hazardous materials. Probably this is a common rule, but most TV medical shows have characters wearing lab coats where they shouldn't.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

A dog? Really? Get an elderly post-op patient a dog so a dog-walker will have to come by and therefore will notice if she's okay or not. Great idea. There's more to taking care of a dog than just walking it. What if she can't handle that part? What if she doesn't want a dog?

This show comes up with a lot of dumb stuff, but this has got to be one of the dumbest.

Exactly.  And, what if she is allergic?  Or cannot have a dog where she lives.  If she has problems getting around, who is going to get up in the middle of the night and let the dog out if it has to go?  Who is paying the vet bills?  And who is paying the dog walker for her?  Even when she recovers, is she going to be able to walk the dog every day, especially in NYC winters?  

BTW, the actor who plays Iggy on the show was a guest on local radio here this morning.  He said that the reason that TPTB killed off Georgia is because the actress was so popular with the fans, that everyone absolutely loved the character and TPTB knew it would have maximum impact to have her die in the crash.  I guess it was early in the morning and he wasn't quite awake and didn't know what he was saying.

The writing on this show is so dumb.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

He said that the reason that TPTB killed off Georgia is because the actress was so popular with the fans, that everyone absolutely loved the character and TPTB knew it would have maximum impact to have her die in the crash.

Uh...okay...🙄

Edited by ams1001
emoji malfunction
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

I could hardly believe they had the same story of teens having mass hysteria/illness symptoms on Chicago Med last week. What a coincidence.

They really do need more clever writers. They don't think things through and underestimate the intelligence of their viewers. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

BTW, the actor who plays Iggy on the show was a guest on local radio here this morning.  He said that the reason that TPTB killed off Georgia is because the actress was so popular with the fans, that everyone absolutely loved the character and TPTB knew it would have maximum impact to have her die in the crash. 

Say what now?

Helen was right to turn Max down.  He's OK bending the rules and pissing off whoever if it means helping the patient, so he can't balk if Helen does the same.   It wasn't Helen's career he was worried about, anyway.

8 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

So....did the people who made the dangerous hip actually cave in to Dr. Helen or was Max lying to her in the text?  I'm confuzzled.

So was I.  The guy with the faulty hip didn't look too pleased at the betrayal, but he also didn't know about the text Max had just sent.  It was really confusing.  But Max is really dirty if he lied to Helen.

I knew Rohan wasn't shit.  Honestly, forgot that he and whatshername were still dating.

• Love 3

Ella picked the wrong Kapoor to hookup with.

Count me with those who couldn’t believe they went the mass hysteria route when ChiMed had just done it. As soon as all the kids started smelling rotten eggs, I was like “Oh, no, they aren’t doing what I think they are doing.” 🙄

Not enough JJ Feilds!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, LittleIggy said:

Count me with those who couldn’t believe they went the mass hysteria route when ChiMed had just done it. As soon as all the kids started smelling rotten eggs, I was like “Oh, no, they aren’t doing what I think they are doing.” 🙄

The only thing I can think of is

1) Both shows have the same medical consultant or

2) that must have been a recent ripped from the headlines case and writers for both shows trawling for medical ideas stumbled upon the same source.

Given the timing, the two shows airing the same sort of case one week apart is coincidence. 

• Love 3

I can't believe they dropped the cake in the final scene. How dare they!

There was a little bit of Helen/Max drama in this episode, and even though the scene wasn't perfect, it was miles ahead of most of the other scenes in this show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Do I get a prize for guessing that the kids were having a psychogenic reaction from the moment the first kid complained about the smell which suddenly set the rest of them into a frenzy.  I also wondered why the neurologist, upon hearing she smelled something bad before getting sick didn't think of a neurological cause.  Many people with seizures have an aura prior to them which can include foul odors or flashing lights, etc.   I also guessed that they'd give them all candy placebos to cure it.

No, because the same scenario and “cure” were on Chicago Med last week. 😏 I guessed mass hysteria then too. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

So....did the people who made the dangerous hip actually cave in to Dr. Helen or was Max lying to her in the text?  I'm confuzzled.

I think they caved because he got a call then texted Helen. The patient didn’t know about this development when she switched course on the tv show.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Wouldn't the money be better spent on providing those panic button thingies that you wear around your neck to at-risk patients who are alone at home a lot

That was exactly my first thought! My mother had a visiting nurse when she first came home from her by-pass surgery but my son and I made sure someone around at the very beginning. Then she went to classes to build up her strength and was picked up by the special bus service for those that needed transportation those so she was "checked on" by the bus service. When she was well and could be alone, my son paid for her to have an alert button to wear at all times. It worked great and it wasn't all that expensive. They would run a check to make sure things were working. Only had to use the button once and it was such a relief to know even though she was alone, she could get in touch with someone if she had too.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Why do hospital show characters wear lab coats in hallways, cafeterias, etc.? I worked in a hospital where we were not allowed to wear lab coats (or gloves, masks, etc.) outside clinical and research areas, because they might carry infectious or hazardous materials. Probably this is a common rule, but most TV medical shows have characters wearing lab coats where they shouldn't.

But if they’re not wearing coats, how will we know they are the doctors? 😉

• LOL 7
13 hours ago, Driad said:

But...how will we know they’re doctors if they don’t wear lab coats/scrubs?!

Edited by J0nas3
1 minute ago, jabRI said:

What was the text? I missed that

That the company that made the hip replacement had caved to all of their demands for compensation (with the implication that she wouldn't name them on TV).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I am glad the vet pointed out to Max that he is, in fact, wealthy compared to the typical New Amsterdam patient and that the board chair was smart enough to set him straight as to just what board members actually do and how much the hospital relies on big donors which is why he needs to stop being an a** to them.

I'm glad he's an ass to them, though I don't think that's actually the case.  Yes, the role of board members is vital and the funds they raise equally so but they're also not down in the trenches with the patients.  It's all just numbers on a ledger to them and it's easy to lose touch with what the real world consequences are of their decisions.  I'm glad that Max is there to put faces and names to the patients for them, to apprise them of what's going on beyond their boardroom walls.  I've worked in hospitals for many, many years and other than a picture in a hallway, I wouldn't know my hospital's director if I passed him in the cafeteria.  I'd love to see someone in administration who was more hands on and who cared at least as much about the human factor of healthcare as they do about the financial. Yes, money is important but you can't lose sight of the patient and their real world needs. 

So, you go, Max!  Do your thing!  More people should be willing to think outside the box.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Max continues to be the worst hospital administrator ever.  First, he hires someone who says he cannot use a computer to be his personal assistant?  Why?  Also, a guy who served in the military overseas in Afghanistan in a managerial role KNOWS how to use a computer.  Why is the writing so bad? 

This made me crazy.  A person in his position in the military would use a computer, and know how to operate one.  Otherwise, he would be a huge drag on what is generally a fairly efficient operating chain, and I seriously doubt the military would tolerate that. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, doesn't Medicare cover at least 20 days in rehab after hospital stay?

Depends on the situation including the number of days a patient might have already used for another medical condition.   However, it is certainly something that can and does happen.  As does home health care like Max was proposing.  A nurse wasn't needed, either.  Heck, enlist a local scout troop in doing service projects where a teen stops by daily to check on sick seniors and run errands for a hour or so.  Far more cost effective as well as much more useful.  Visiting nurses are medical professionals; they do not cook meals, wash dishes, run to the grocery store or pharmacy.  The lady didn't need a nurse, she needed a housekeeper/assistant.

38 minutes ago, rove4 said:

I'm glad he's an ass to them, though I don't think that's actually the case.  Yes, the role of board members is vital and the funds they raise equally so but they're also not down in the trenches with the patients.  It's all just numbers on a ledger to them and it's easy to lose touch with what the real world consequences are of their decisions.  I'm glad that Max is there to put faces and names to the patients for them, to apprise them of what's going on beyond their boardroom walls.  I've worked in hospitals for many, many years and other than a picture in a hallway, I wouldn't know my hospital's director if I passed him in the cafeteria.  I'd love to see someone in administration who was more hands on and who cared at least as much about the human factor of healthcare as they do about the financial. Yes, money is important but you can't lose sight of the patient and their real world needs. 

So, you go, Max!  Do your thing!  More people should be willing to think outside the box.  

But, Max isn't doing any good either.  His Free Visiting Nurse program would not have prevented the situation on the show and it would've needed millions of dollars annually to implement and run.  Max didn't have money last week for anything, this week, he decides duplicating services already available through other venues that wouldn't have solved the problem anyway needs immediate funding?  There is not a single other thing in the hospital that is more important than providing a visiting nurse to apparently live in the home of all elderly postop patients for weeks after discharge?   Max is far worse than any board member when it comes to understanding health care today and how to spend money wisely.

Interestingly, Max is virtually the only doctor on the show who doesn't consistently wear a white coat, other than Izzy.  Why?  He has no clinical duties, he is an administrator.  I work at a hospital where the boss is also a physician, a surgeon who actually does see patients part time.  And, yet, every time I see him in the hospital outside of the OR, he is wearing a shirt and tie and a white coat.  Or a regular business suit.  Why?  Because he's a professional and dressing in scrubs when one is not actually working in an area where they are required is distracting and unprofessional.  Also, at every hospital where I practice, anyone wearing scrubs during the workday is required to cover them when venturing into other parts of the hospital, even doctors.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

That the company that made the hip replacement had caved to all of their demands for compensation (with the implication that she wouldn't name them on TV).

Of course, Helen, by doing a 5 minute segment on local TV, was able to bring the hip manufacturers to their knees.  Who needs personal injury attorneys?  In real life, multiple medical journals reported on complications from metal fragments from metal on metal hips, the FDA stepped in and banned their future use and there were multiple class action suits against multiple manufacturers.  No one needed to have Helen name the manufacturer, you can google the case and get a list of them.  It was public from the first research paper published.

In real life, attorneys for the hip manufacturer would've told the executives not to ever speak to Dr Helen, let alone on TV and instead would contact the patient firsthand or encourage the patient and his attorney to contact them.  These cases are well known, all of the manufacturers have worked out a strategy for handling them and nothing Helen was asking for would probably have been a problem.  Chances are, there is already a plan and system in place to take care of it.  Helen, like Max, seems overly fond of the notion that she and she alone can fight these battles and that there is not a single other person in health care today who isn't out to harm patients and lie to them.  They both seem to be attention-whores, IMO.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

I remember those “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” commercials from ages and ages ago. Not exactly a novel concept. Why couldn’t post-op lady get that sort of device?

And, yeah, it annoys me too that Max wears scrubs when he is an administrator.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Of course, Helen, by doing a 5 minute segment on local TV, was able to bring the hip manufacturers to their knees.  Who needs personal injury attorneys?  In real life, multiple medical journals reported on complications from metal fragments from metal on metal hips, the FDA stepped in and banned their future use and there were multiple class action suits against multiple manufacturers.  No one needed to have Helen name the manufacturer, you can google the case and get a list of them.  It was public from the first research paper published.

I can understand it, though.  If Doctor Oz or CNN's Sanjay Gupta report on it, it gets spread far and wide, much farther and wider than medical journals or cases people have to look up.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm sorry. Mike and Ikes do not look like pills.

In a long and arduous effort (that ultimately failed) I consumed many an Mike & Ike trying to learn to swallow pills (instead I learned to tolerate licorice).   Kids might not necessarily notice a difference unless they regularly took pills or were fans of Mike & Ike.  They looked enough like pills to me at a younger age.  But then, I didn't like licorice or pills.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Ella picked the wrong Kapoor to hookup with.

Not enough JJ Feilds!

I have no idea why you hire someone like JJ Feilds and then stick him with what amounts to a glorified boy toy role that lasts a few seconds a week. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Max continues to be the worst hospital administrator ever.  First, he hires someone who says he cannot use a computer to be his personal assistant?  Why?  Also, a guy who served in the military overseas in Afghanistan in a managerial role KNOWS how to use a computer.  Why is the writing so bad?  I am glad the vet pointed out to Max that he is, in fact, wealthy compared to the typical New Amsterdam patient and that the board chair was smart enough to set him straight as to just what board members actually do and how much the hospital relies on big donors which is why he needs to stop being an a** to them.

Next, Max hears about a patient who lives alone and, 3 weeks postop, falls and cannot get up, ending up with a situation where she needs more surgery (and fixing a dehiscence of a leg wound is a lot simpler than the original cardiac surgery and Max should know that).  So, Max' solution is a visiting nurse program?  How is that going to make any difference in this particular situation.  Even the most comprehensive, deluxe visiting nurse is not going to be there daily 3 weeks post op.  And, if the lady fell right after the nurse left, wouldn't the woman still have been alone on the floor for 14 hours?  A visiting nurse would spend maybe an hour, tops, a couple of times a week.  That would not have helped this specific situation.  Maybe if the lady developed an infection in her surgical incision, having a nurse see her a couple times a week would pick it up earlier, but that isn't what the show was telling us.  Wouldn't the money be better spent on providing those panic button thingies that you wear around your neck to at-risk patients who are alone at home a lot?  Or a cell phone to keep in a pocket?  Or have some sort of adult daycare for postop patients where they would go for 8-10 hours a day and someone would notice if she didn't show up?  Max is really dumb.

The cobalt poisoning from an artificial joint is a real thing, but very rare and usually doesn't present so dramatically.  Nowadays, the joints most likely to cause the problem are rarely used.

Finally, what exactly is the actual training and qualifications of Bloom's f***buddy?  They say he is a physical therapist in one scene and, in the next, he is a doctor.  There are doctors who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation who usually work with more severe issues such as paraplegia or strokes; but they are not physical therapists who are usually college graduates with a certification in physical therapy.  It is possible to get a doctorate in physical therapy, but that would be a PhD and not an MD.  If he was a PhD, I would think that would've been specified on the door of his office.

Great post!  I fell asleep watching this but after your recap, no need for me to hurry to finish watching!   I think Max hit his little head in the accident and forgot the "How can I help" to "what? help?".   Max's "ideas" don't seem to be sound or logical.   Sorry - didn't realize others mentioned same but yes, those kids were reminiscent of an episode either last week or the previous on Chicago Med; Dr. Charles ended up giving them a placebo (Tic-Tac) to resolve the same.   I think a poster recently asked - are the writers just circulating scripts from one medical show to another?  It certainly seems that way.  This is only S2 and it appears the writers have strayed from the original premise.   

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 1

The entire storyline of the hip replacement patient is actually a sidebar to the real plotline.  It set up a situation where Helen is about to put herself in career jeopardy, and gave Max a chance to vent his fears about losing her.  That's the real story, in my opinion.  As Doodlebug points out, the artificial hip problems would have been handled simply and efficiently, but now we have a Max and Helen story for the rest of the season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I'm just amazed that so many people watch scripted medical shows (or legal shows or shows depicting any other profession) expecting to see reality.  If I restricted myself to watching shows that were realistic I would have nothing to watch.  😅

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

I'm just amazed that so many people watch scripted medical shows (or legal shows or shows depicting any other profession) expecting to see reality.  If I restricted myself to watching shows that were realistic I would have nothing to watch.  😅

This is true, but, picking apart the dumb stuff is part of the enjoyment for some of us.  On this particular show, it isn't even that the medicine is bad; it's that the plot lines lack logic.  You don't have to work in health care to understand that Max' idea for a free visiting nurse program would not have solved the particular problem that he was supposedly addressing.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7

So if you’re Max’s assistant you just follow him around all day and don’t even carry a notepad or iPad to makes notes on or have his schedule? I have a dog, after a recent surgery it required my whole family helping me. Dumbest solution ever for that patients problem. I sit on several boards, we don't meet weekly, we meet quarterly at the most. They are all unpaid.   Is this a hospital thing that they meet weekly and get paid and apparently spend all their time talking about fundraising? 

Why am I still watching this? 

• Love 4

One of my pet peeves are people who get pets who are ill equipped to be pet owners.  They don't have the time, energy, or resources to provide the pet a good life.  And, if they aren't in good health, it leaves the family to take care of the pet when the person is sick or dies.  Just not a good idea. I wonder if any of these issues will come back to bite them.  (Pardon the pun.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I want the actress who plays Bloom to immediately call Laura Innes to get advice on how to walk with a fake limp.  

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This is true, but, picking apart the dumb stuff is part of the enjoyment for some of us.  On this particular show, it isn't even that the medicine is bad; it's that the plot lines lack logic.  You don't have to work in health care to understand that Max' idea for a free visiting nurse program would not have solved the particular problem that he was supposedly addressing.

Hate watching is fun.  I kept thinking: "Max, the Board might take your proposal more seriously if it didn't feel like you were making it up on the fly."  You know, maybe type something up they can read, show them some cost proposals, explain how it could save money in the long run by helping prevent re-hospitalizations.  

Also, Kapoor and his wife must have been pretty awful parents to raise a kid whose apparent first instinct is to skip town, never to return, when his girlfriend gets pregnant.    

• Love 6

I have mixed feelings about this episode.

I got a little bored with veteran characters that save the day with their attitude. First, his attitude was of an asshole, without much sympathy for people who don't have choices. His idea of a dog walker was ridiculous, for the reasons already discussed here. Bored about the obligatory "thank you for your service, we all do". I don't know if he was a good soldier or one of those asinine fuckers who kill civilians and celebrate it. It looks like the writers' room had a moment of libertarianism mixed with neoliberalism with the "nanny state" bullshit. Hope we never see that guy again.

On the other hand - despite the convoluted writing and lack of reality - the discussion about home health is one that needs to happen. Medicare covers very little of home health and prefers to send people to nursing homes instead, and it doesn't cover long term care. These are important topics that could, in a very little percentage of viewers, educate about what means to all of a sudden need care and the impossibility of getting it, stay in your home and make choices. Even though we were left o believe the woman only needed someone to keep an eye on her, and not really a medical professional, I would think a second serious, risky operation would change that - her body would probably have a harder time recovering.

I don't expect medical shows, or lawyers show, or cop shows to be all too realistic all the time (I mean, most cops shows I am aware of have the thoughtful,  awesome, inclusive and justice mind cops when the reality is very different - same for FBI shows when the real FBI fails more than succeeds and evade our privacy) but once they bring the real life into the writing, I hope they will come up with a higher dose of sensical outcomes. That's why I gave up on cop/FBI/CIA type shows. Pretty much give up on the others too, after a few seasons.

13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Hate watching is fun. 

I suppose so for some people.  I don't even have the time to keep up with the shows that I actually like and want to keep watching.  All too often I end up falling behind so watching shows that I don't particularly like or enjoy just to pick them apart is out of the question.  The second a show starts to bore me or annoy, it gets dropped.  I just don't have the time for anything else. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, rove4 said:

I suppose so for some people.  I don't even have the time to keep up with the shows that I actually like and want to keep watching.  All too often I end up falling behind so watching shows that I don't particularly like or enjoy just to pick them apart is out of the question.  The second a show starts to bore me or annoy, it gets dropped.  I just don't have the time for anything else. 

I'm mostly watching because there's nothing else on at the time. I should probably just go to bed early instead.

26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm mostly watching because there's nothing else on at the time. I should probably just go to bed early instead.

I love to read so if there's nothing on tv I always have a good book handy.  😊

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, rove4 said:

I love to read so if there's nothing on tv I always have a good book handy.  😊

I'm usually messing around on my computer at the same time. Probably why my attention span for real reading has tanked lately. I tell myself I'll turn everything off and go read for a bit and go to bed before 11pm but then I get sucked into bad habits and suddenly it's 11:08 and I just finished brushing my teeth...(why, yes, this was my night last night, why do you ask?).

I have soo many good books to get to...

49 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I have soo many good books to get to...

Oh I literally own a couple hundred books that I haven't read yet.  I'm always buying books, it's an addiction.  Some women buy shoes or purses, I buy books.  I usually have a physical book to read at night and on my lunch hour, an audiobook going whenever I'm in my car or on the treadmill, and a book on my kindle app for whenever I'm waiting in a line (or waiting for whatever event to start).  I generally read anywhere from 100 - 150 books a year and then of course there's just the kids, time at the gym, full-time work so, yeah, not really any time to devote to hate-watching shows, lol. 

3 hours ago, rove4 said:

Oh I literally own a couple hundred books that I haven't read yet.  I'm always buying books, it's an addiction.  Some women buy shoes or purses, I buy books.  

Same. My number one requirement in a new bag was that it could hold my tablet (10-inch) and an average-sized paperback (and/or my e-reader). I got a Fossil bag that has a large main compartment for my wallet, sunglasses, charger case, etc., and two side pockets. The tablet/book live on the side with the little strap and my keys and phone and other random little things live on the side with the magnetic snap. The bag by itself weighs a pound, according to their website, but it holds all my crap.

• Love 1

I want the actress who plays Bloom to immediately call Laura Innes to get advice on how to walk with a fake limp.  

LOL. Great call.

But that made me realize how much Max is Mark Greene from ER-ehe is the most put upon person ever....and everyone loves him.....and then his wife is gone (that time divorced after cheating on him)...has an unrequited thing with a colleague at the start..... gets cancer (hopefully Max never goes to Hawaii to teach Luna to surf or it will be all over)!

• LOL 4
On 10/8/2019 at 8:04 PM, Driad said:

I remember way back in the day in soap operas nurses had heels on. What bugs me is when they show nurses leaving and going to lunch outside the hospital. When nurse Jackie wasn’t gulping  Vicodin and signing out Fentanyl from dying cancer patients or inside the pharmacy laying down, she would leave in middle of a shift to go talk to a school principle.  

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Same. My number one requirement in a new bag was that it could hold my tablet (10-inch) and an average-sized paperback (and/or my e-reader). I got a Fossil bag that has a large main compartment for my wallet, sunglasses, charger case, etc., and two side pockets. The tablet/book live on the side with the little strap and my keys and phone and other random little things live on the side with the magnetic snap. The bag by itself weighs a pound, according to their website, but it holds all my crap.

I need this bag in my life!

• Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Driad said:

I work in a medical school/hospital (hospital is attached to the school) and I ALWAYS see dr's walking around in their white coats.  I also see nurses in the bathroom with those bootie things on their feet and can't understand why.  

ETA: Dr. Reynolds said the Board meets EVERY Wednesday??  I call bull.  Our board meets every THREE MONTHS. 

On 10/9/2019 at 6:50 PM, sadie said:

So if you’re Max’s assistant you just follow him around all day and don’t even carry a notepad or iPad to makes notes on or have his schedule? I have a dog, after a recent surgery it required my whole family helping me. Dumbest solution ever for that patients problem. I sit on several boards, we don't meet weekly, we meet quarterly at the most. They are all unpaid.   Is this a hospital thing that they meet weekly and get paid and apparently spend all their time talking about fundraising? 

Why am I still watching this? 

No, there are several different kinds of boards in hospitals and the show seems to have conflated them. 

There is usually a Medical Executive Board which does the actually running of the areas that deliver patient care.  It is lead by a physician Chief of Staff and the other members are voted on by the various subspecialties in the hospital staff.  I was OB/GYN rep to the Med Exec Board for a few years.  We met once a month.

Then, there is a Board of Trustees.  They make the huge decisions like choosing to partner with a health care corporation, tearing down or building new facilities, major remodeling and the like.  Decisions to add new departments or major services go through them.  They are usually together once a quarter.

There is also usually a Foundation or Board for any non-profit hospital which works to raise money to maintain services as well as finance new projects.  This is the sort of board where people who have been big donors or have done a lot of fundraising in the past would join.  They work with people and corporations interested in donating money, plan fundraising activities like auctions or galas.  They are also usually quarterly or maybe every other month.

Nobody meets weekly.  Nobody has that kind of time and all of the boards are working on long-term major projects where not much progress happens from week to week so there's no need to meet that often.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2