Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: The Blind Auditions Season Premiere

• Start Topic

Airs September 23, 2019

Rock icon Gwen Stefani joins returning coaches Kelly Clarkson, John Legend and Blake Shelton as they begin their search for the best voice in America on the first night of blind auditions, vying to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon.

That first contestant was awesome. I was totally cracking up when Kelly realized she got Blake blocked and all the banter that ensued.  Too bad Kelly didn't get her,she REALLY wanted her.

I liked the second guy too. 

I'll have to see how much I can take of the "Blakey" talk.

Oh, I don't miss Adam.

• Love 5

I was just glad the sob stories seemed FAR less "sobby."  I don't want someone to succeed on a singing show because they had something bad happen to them.  Call me heartless, but I don't really want to hear your sad story before you even audition - I just want to hear good singing.  I hope the editing monkeys keep up the good work and give us a brief recap of who sang what when they start getting to the battle rounds.  Oh, and let's hope for no more montages.

• Love 13

I didn't even know this season was starting until I heard an ad on the radio while I was getting a pedicure yesterday evening. I came home and tuned in... sort of. I just do not like Gwen Stefani. I hate the Gwen + Blake icky fauxmance. The over the top competition and banter between the judges has grown tiresome.

Oh wait, people sang on this show? Huh. Missed that part.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I loved the fact that at least two auditions were shown without a backstory lead-in. And hooray, no Adam! Last night felt automatically so much fresher, even though Kelly seems to have inherited the faux-feud with Blake.

I had low expectations of Gwen from her previous times on the Voice, but last night she was pretty impressive with her pitches.

- You’re into rock? I’m the only one here who was ever in a rock band!

- With me, you get Blake Shelton too!

- You know it’s not just about your singing ability, it’s the connection with the audience, and I can help you with that!

Even her “I want a little girl singer” pitch has evolved. She correctly pointed out that Kelly has several other big commitments to focus on, which of course Kelly couldn't refute.

(And on a superficial note, I did love what she was wearing)

John still brings so much positive energy for this show! I did like his statement about how he’s going to be more nitpicky if a singer chooses one of his songs.

That spontaneous duet was so lovely. I wished that Gwen did one too! I hope that the show doesn't put an undue focus on the Asperger’s – I just want to see more of the singer growing as a result of the coaching relationship and opportunities to perform.

I’m charmed by the Gwen/Blake romance, especially if their team members benefit from the “two in one” that Gwen was pitching.

This season is off to a good start!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The over the top competition and banter between the judges has grown tiresome.

I agree 100%. I remember when the judges sat quietly while the singer was on stage singing. Now, even though they haven't turned around they talk to each other and sometimes sing along but what's really annoying is when they do turn and the singer is still singing and they start arguing with the other coaches. Sit down, be quiet and listen.

Sometimes Kelly is to much. I like her, she seems like a really nice, fun person but dial it down a little. If I was around a person like that it would drain me.

I'm not a fan of Gwen and what's up with her always wanting a little girl? But I liked her and Kelly together. I know she wears a lot of make-up and wigs but she looks good for her age I'll give her that. But that top she had on looked uncomfortable.

I love that there is less sob stories, take those to AGT they love them over there lol. It seems like they've replaced the long intro of the singers with the judges comments after the performance, which I like better.

I don't miss Adam. He was cute and fun when the show first started but not the last few seasons.

• Love 2

I'm stunned not one person turned for that Timmy Hood kid. He could've been a semifinalist or a finalist with his looks, the military older brother, the brand new to performing in public angle, etc. etc. His voice wasn't half-bad....just a little tentative in spots.

Of the one's who made teams, no one really stood out. I'm typically more drawn to the Kat Hammock type voices...but she's got a long way to go. Brennan gets points for not sounding like a complete Carrie or Miranda ripoff, she's got a little more "rock" and a little more of an edge to her voice than you maybe would've expected before we heard her sing. I really didn't think the last girl was worth the pimp spot. Not a fan of the song she chose either.

I was disappointed Kelly Clarkson was back again.  She never stops talking and she talks over the judges constantly.  Her "perkiness" is so annoying.  Please bring back Alicia Keys. She has stunning looks, class and can make her points without shouting or making stupid digs at Blake.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 8:11 AM, Ashforth said:

I didn't even know this season was starting until I heard an ad on the radio while I was getting a pedicure yesterday evening. I came home and tuned in... sort of. I just do not like Gwen Stefani. I hate the Gwen + Blake icky fauxmance. The over the top competition and banter between the judges has grown tiresome.

Oh wait, people sang on this show? Huh. Missed that part.

Perfectly said!!! I am not a fan of Gwen Stefani, and becoming not a fan of Kelly Clark. She talks too much and too loud. Also, is this still called The Vouce or was it changed to The Blake and Gwen Voices?